SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Proposals (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=361)
-   -   PHILADELPHIA | Schuylkill Yards Future Phases | 1,095 - 375 FT | 70 - 28 FLOORS (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=221324)

Knight Hospitaller Mar 14, 2016 7:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Downburst (Post 7370577)
^I'm (unfortunately) very unfamiliar with Philadelphia. Where is Schuylkill Yards in relation to those plans?

Pretty much the part of the outlined "study area" in the link above that is NOT over the railroad tracks.

dab Mar 14, 2016 9:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kidphilly (Post 7370316)
Not sure if anyone posted these but thee came in an email reminder for the Open House for the rail yards (capping) open house this Wed.

Updated plan summery
http://static1.squarespace.com/stati....03_PUBLIC.pdf

Summary of initial feedback
http://static1.squarespace.com/stati...inal_Small.pdf

excuse my ignorance, but is it not possible to cap the Powelton yard as well, or is the best we could ever hope for is pedestrian bridges? Was just looking at the View32 thread and it dawned on me that even after the proposed capping that those handful of blocks near Drexel would still be a bit walled off because of that yard.

Urbanthusiat Mar 14, 2016 9:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dab (Post 7370696)
excuse my ignorance, but is it not possible to cap the Powelton yard as well, or is the best we could ever hope for is pedestrian bridges? Was just looking at the View32 thread and it dawned on me that even after the proposed capping that those handful of blocks near Drexel would still be a bit walled off because of that yard.

I hope it is possible for lightweight, woodframe construction of rowhomes along the edges. You could make some pretty expensive houses given the location, and I think it would serve to integrate the neighborhood better.

summersm343 Mar 14, 2016 11:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Downburst (Post 7370577)
^I'm (unfortunately) very unfamiliar with Philadelphia. Where is Schuylkill Yards in relation to those plans?

If you look at the renderings of this Schuylkill Yards proposal, do you see the large rail yards to the right of the planned development in these renderings?

http://static1.squarespace.com/stati...g?format=1500w

These are rail yards for SEPTA and Amtrak. The plan is to have Schuylkill yards development completed in 20 years by 2036, and have the rail yards capped over and completely developed in 34 years by 2050.

In this rendering below, there are train tracks running down the middle. Everything to the left is this Schuylkill Yards development, plus a few other developments like the planned Cira II office tower. Everything to the right is the massing for the eventual buildings and parks that will cap those rail yards.

https://scontent-iad3-1.xx.fbcdn.net...9b&oe=57592A2A

Again, in this rendering, everything south of the train tracks is the Schuylkill Yards proposal, everything north of the tracks is the eventual capping of the rail yards:

https://scontent-iad3-1.xx.fbcdn.net...53&oe=574F9FE7

Downburst Mar 15, 2016 1:53 PM

^Summers, that's exceptionally helpful, thank you.

Obviously I need to get down to your fair city soon!

Arch+Eng Mar 16, 2016 3:40 PM

Final draft of this will be made from the final meeting today (3-16-16) from 4p - 7p.

I cannot make it, but we need some development geeks there to persuade for a full capping, and to make sure they aren't trying to reduce the scope of this plan..

http://www.phillydistrict30.com/upco...street-station

Somebody Go! :yes:

Knight Hospitaller Mar 16, 2016 3:47 PM

^^^ While we all want full capping, just a bit more connection on the southwest portion would go a long way to filling the Powelton Yard void. Of the four exposed sections of track, there was a park over the southern-most one in the draft immediately preceding this one. Now there's no connection south of Drexel Park (but for the two proposed pedestrian bridges). Looking at the plan, it seems to me that putting money and effort into capping the area between the two pedestrian bridges would be all that is needed to fully link this to the adjacent neighborhood, if we can't get full capping anytime soon.

Arch+Eng Mar 16, 2016 3:56 PM

There are only about (3) places to drive into this new neighborhood. (2) of which are lining Drexel Park where kids will be playing...BRILLIANT!

hammersklavier Mar 16, 2016 4:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arch+Eng (Post 7372958)
There are only about (3) places to drive into this new neighborhood. (2) of which are lining Drexel Park where kids will be playing...BRILLIANT!

:???: I count five:

-2 on Spring Garden
-2 by Drexel Park
-1 at 30th and Arch

That said, I do agree that isn't enough. I know the reason why they're not extending Arch and you can't really argue with it ... but what about Race? It's already "close enough" that the grading shouldn't be a problem.

biguc Mar 16, 2016 4:33 PM

I'm digging all this action across the Schuykill. Starting with Cira 2, it's like good looking skyscrapers are trying to get away from Comcast.

VikingDutchman Mar 16, 2016 6:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arch+Eng (Post 7372958)

Making it difficult for drivings to get into and through is to my mind a feature, not a bug :D

Randomguy34 Mar 16, 2016 7:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by biguc (Post 7373017)
I'm digging all this action across the Schuykill. Starting with Cira 2, it's like good looking skyscrapers are trying to get away from Comcast.

Maybe the skyscrapers have a height complex and just want to stand out somewhere

Arch+Eng Mar 16, 2016 7:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VikingDutchman (Post 7373242)
Making it difficult for drivings to get into and through is to my mind a feature, not a bug :D

Maybe, But drivers are still going to drive, and kids are still going to dart out between cars after a ball. :runaway:

Knight Hospitaller Mar 16, 2016 8:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arch+Eng (Post 7373422)
Maybe, But drivers are still going to drive, and kids are still going to dart out between cars after a ball. :runaway:

And trucks have to make deliveries, and people will still take cabs/Uber... If we learned anything from the transit-ways and superblocks of the seventies, it's that a lack of connection and traffic flow kills a neighborhood. This thing will be like an island in the sky if it's floating above the tracks with a few "tethers" connecting it with the rest of the city grid.

Urbanthusiat Mar 16, 2016 9:55 PM

Anyone who is at or went to the 30th Street District plan info meeting tonight, let us know if you found out anything interesting! I'd have go if it weren't for class

Philly-Drew Mar 16, 2016 10:06 PM

I'm headed to 30th st station in a bit. I Stopped at Slainte Pub for a couple of quick drinks.

I'm wearing black jeans, black shoes, a brown leather jacket and a gray shirt. If any of you show up, keep an eye out and say hi!

PhilliesPhan Mar 16, 2016 11:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Urbanthusiat (Post 7373618)
Anyone who is at or went to the 30th Street District plan info meeting tonight, let us know if you found out anything interesting! I'd have go if it weren't for class

I wish I could go! I'm trapped in the Lehigh Valley until Spring Break on Friday :(

Philly-Drew Mar 16, 2016 11:51 PM

So, I just got back from the open house. There wasn't really too much new news, but I'm glad I attended. There were 26 information boards on display, and some people answering questions. There were no models or anything like that. All of the display boards are expected to be on their website tomorrow, but most of the information can already be found on this thread.

I asked if they thought this project could pilfer projects from other parts of the city. I mean, I love this proposal, but would it negatively affect other parts of the city? There was really no good answer for that.

The idea of connecting the subway underneath (The blue line) with 30th street station was getting a ton of attention. It was pretty overwhelming actually.

Nothing else to report really. For some reason, I guess I expected more from the open house.

Plokoon11 Mar 17, 2016 12:03 AM

Just got back from the meeting. A new 1300 foot building! After waking up and realizing it was just a dream haha.

hammersklavier Mar 17, 2016 12:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Knight Hospitaller (Post 7373463)
And trucks have to make deliveries, and people will still take cabs/Uber... If we learned anything from the transit-ways and superblocks of the seventies, it's that a lack of connection and traffic flow kills a neighborhood. This thing will be like an island in the sky if it's floating above the tracks with a few "tethers" connecting it with the rest of the city grid.

There are significant grade concerns and that will muck with connectivity.

Unless you want to regrade 32nd all the way from Market to Powelton, you're not getting Race all the way across the railroad tracks as a full street. It might look flat, but there's a short section of intolerable grade right before you hit the intersection. That's why it's planned to be a pedestrian walkway: you can use a stairway with an embedded ramp for that short stretch of steep grade.

That also implies that Summer Street would be the first possible full street easement all the way across the Powelton Yards. The problem with that, though, is that Summer is a narrow interstitial street (but that doesn't mean it can't be used as a service way!).

Any cap over the bottom of Powelton Yards will be a full forty feet higher than JFK. That is one of the site's most significant long-term challenges. The planners have elected instead of link the bottom to the station area and the top to Mantua and Powelton Village, leaving the part of the yards with the greatest grade and landing challenges to be developed last.

I did gather one interesting little tidbit from the Brandywine rep (sorry, Philly-Drew, I was there when Jim Saksa and the Sic Transit Philly guy were there -- too early for you): the 950' tower is planned to be the last part of Phase 1. And that is precisely because Drexel needs to move its engineering labs before it can happen.