SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Canada (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   NHL Thread: Season 2018-2019 (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=234073)

Xelebes Jun 10, 2018 9:21 PM

NHL Thread: Season 2018-2019

Capitals have won the Cup and now we have to look forward to is the NHL Draft. Fun times ahead, if perhaps a bit dry.

suburbanite Jun 10, 2018 10:05 PM

Watching Ovechkin and the caps celebrate in crazy fashion just makes me want to see a Canadian cup win. Preferably the Leafs for me, but any of Canada's cities would go absolutely nuts.

DoubleK Jun 18, 2018 7:24 PM

Yikes. Trotz just resigned.

JHikka Jun 18, 2018 7:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DoubleK (Post 8224751)
Yikes. Trotz just resigned.

He said this was his least season in WSH during the handshake line from Round 1. Going out with a Stanley Cup is pretty good, IMO, if that's the way he's going.

Alternatively, from Pierre Lebrun:
Barry Trotz had a clause in his contract where if he won the Stanley Cup he could accept a two-year extension with a $300k bump in salary. Obviously since he was only making $1.5M, low by today's NHL coach's standards, a $1.8-million salary doesn't cut it. So Trotz stepped down.

So the Caps may not have wanted to pay him, he may want longer term, or he's simply retiring. :haha:

suburbanite Jun 18, 2018 7:49 PM

Looks like he's going into free agency. Other teams now have permission to talk to him. Could see the Islanders make a move for him as part of their shake-up

DoubleK Jun 18, 2018 8:15 PM

Free agency for the one and only job that's available? Hard to believe the Caps would let Trotz walk to a team in the same division.

Further, I can't see a single team that would dump their current coach for him. Especially not with the draft coming fast.

suburbanite Jun 18, 2018 8:40 PM

Caps don't have a choice anymore. If they couldn't come to an agreement he's on the open market.

Coldrsx Jun 18, 2018 9:24 PM

Oilers 30th, McDavid 294pts.

DoubleK Jun 18, 2018 10:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coldrsx (Post 8224987)
Oilers 31st, McDavid 294pts.

Fixed.

DoubleK Jun 19, 2018 4:10 PM

Doug Wilson just made out like a bandit.

Quote:

He gets rid of Mikkel Boedker and trades a 6th round pick in exchange for a 2nd, a 4th and two 5th round picks, plus $4 million in cap space
https://twitter.com/frank_seravalli/...79959543955457

HomeInMyShoes Jun 21, 2018 1:45 PM

Taylor Hall!

Good on him. Idiot Oilers management.

It was close: 1,264 to 1,194 in the voting results (72 to 60 first place votes.)

DoubleK Jun 21, 2018 3:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes (Post 8228459)
Taylor Hall!

It was close: 1,264 to 1,194 in the voting results (72 to 60 first place votes.)

Don't forget that the pick used to take Barzal originally belonged to Edmonton. . .

HomeInMyShoes Jun 21, 2018 4:13 PM

Double congratulations then.

JHikka Jun 21, 2018 5:29 PM

The fun isn't over yet. Chiarelli is looking to move 10th overall for a quality defenseman. :haha:

This is on the same day they bought out Eric Gryba, which is interesting given that they could have buried him in the AHL for $0 but instead bought him out which will cost them $300K/season. They signed him a year ago.

HomeInMyShoes Jun 21, 2018 5:50 PM

Full of wisdom he is not.

Denscity Jun 23, 2018 1:29 PM

Surprised no one is talking about their new draft pick(s).

MacLac Jun 23, 2018 5:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes (Post 8228459)
Taylor Hall!

If only you arm chair Oiler bashing Fuctards knew how cancerous he was in the dressing room....never mind the dressing room not being big enough for his head. I've heard insane stories right from Oilers mgmt what an asshole this guy was and that they had to make a choice - make it McDavids team or Hall's team.....it could never ever be both.....now go back rooting for whatever pathetic Eastern team you're a card carrying fan club member of......

blueandgoldguy Jun 23, 2018 6:28 PM

I can't help but believe some of those stories in the Oilers dressing room are either manufactured or exaggerated thus justifying the mediocre return Edmonton received for Hall.

logan5 Jun 23, 2018 9:56 PM

You gotta feel sorry for Oiler fans, and it's quite understandable that their fans would lash out angrily at others. They got a pretty good D prospect in Bouchard, but he's a few years away. Do the Oilers dare make another trade for a top 4 defenceman?

Speaking of teams with a poor D, the Canucks managed to land Quinn Hughes. Things aligned pretty good for the Canucks on draft day as after Dahlin was selected by Buffalo, no defencemen were taken until the Canucks turn came up, so they were able to select the guy they were most interested in.

Hughes is a gifted offensive defenseman so the Canucks should have one helluva a power play with Boeser on the left side, and Pettersson on the right, and Hughes quarterbacking.

JHikka Jun 23, 2018 10:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by logan5 (Post 8231115)
You gotta feel sorry for Oiler fans, and it's quite understandable that their fans would lash out angrily at others. They got a pretty good D prospect in Bouchard, but he's a few years away. Do the Oilers dare make another trade for a top 4 defenceman?

He can play within two years. Was logging insane minutes per game on a mediocre London team. He's exactly what the Oilers need on the backend.

logan5 Jun 23, 2018 10:45 PM

Who's your next ranked d-man after Dahlin?

JHikka Jun 24, 2018 1:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by logan5 (Post 8231145)
Who's your next ranked d-man after Dahlin?

Bouchard/Dobson/Boqvist were all pretty even. Oilers didn't need Boqvist as he's more of an offensive guy...they needed more of a guy who can play defense and move pucks. Both Bouchard and Dobson do that well.

logan5 Jun 24, 2018 3:32 AM

Ok. Just curious what your opinion was. You seem to follow junior hockey. I thought you might have Quinn Hughes in there. At 18 years old he managed to crack the US team for WC. A good sign for somebody who might be criticized for being too small.

JHikka Jun 24, 2018 1:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by logan5 (Post 8231226)
Ok. Just curious what your opinion was. You seem to follow junior hockey. I thought you might have Quinn Hughes in there. At 18 years old he managed to crack the US team for WC. A good sign for somebody who might be criticized for being too small.

Hughes is just below that group, IMO. Smaller size, one of the best skaters you'll see at that age. Defensive play isn't as strong but he's going to help offensively. I like the idea of him playing on that Vancouver team in a few years.

Making the US WC team at 18 is a bit less impressive when you consider that they usually send a younger team. Theyre not afraid to send NCAA players to WC.

MonctonRad Jun 24, 2018 1:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JHikka (Post 8231193)
Bouchard/Dobson/Boqvist were all pretty even. Oilers didn't need Boqvist as he's more of an offensive guy...they needed more of a guy who can play defense and move pucks. Both Bouchard and Dobson do that well.

Dobson went to the NY Islanders as the 12th overall pick.

Summerside PEI is busting out in pride over him and Gerard Gallant (NHL Coach of the Year). :)

logan5 Jun 24, 2018 10:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JHikka (Post 8231348)
Hughes is just below that group, IMO. Smaller size, one of the best skaters you'll see at that age. Defensive play isn't as strong but he's going to help offensively. I like the idea of him playing on that Vancouver team in a few years.

Making the US WC team at 18 is a bit less impressive when you consider that they usually send a younger team. Theyre not afraid to send NCAA players to WC.

I asked for your opinion so thanks for you feedback. Hope you don't mind some counterpoints...

Doing a bit of research going back to 2011, most NCAA players named to IIHF team were 20 and older. I could only find 2 players going back to 2011, that were selected for the team at age 18. That was Jack Eichel and Dylan Larkin. The youngest defenceman selected for the team were 21 years old.

Looking at various draft rankings, Quinn Hughes is second D ranked the most times. http://www.mynhldraft.com/2018-draft...draft-rankings.

JHikka Jun 28, 2018 4:59 PM

David Pagnotta
‏@TheFourthPeriod

BREAKING: Ottawa Senators owner Eugene Melnyk has received and discussed an offer for the franchise. While rejected, talks are believed to be ongoing, per sources.

https://twitter.com/TheFourthPeriod/...27496484868096

suburbanite Jun 28, 2018 5:52 PM

As much as I'd love for the Sens to join the Habs in mediocrity for the foreseeable future, I hope Melnyk sells the team. It's bad for the game and fans don't deserve to be screwed over by an owner that can handicap the on-ice performance.

Might be too late to keep Karlsson though.

Firebrand Jun 30, 2018 6:56 PM

Since the Habs bought out Mason, do you think the Jets will sign Mason for cheap, or they’ll move to someone else? Their goaltending depth is very thin, and Comrie is not at a competent level that Mason is.

It’s gonna be weird for me seeing Armia in a Habs jersey. Dude’s a stud with the Jets. It’s a shame that he’ll won’t be playing in his native Finland in November. At least he has four other Finns in the lineup, along with prospect Kotkaniemi, who apparently grew up in the same town Armia did.

Horus Jul 1, 2018 1:20 PM

Some early Free Agent Frenzy speculation from TSN

- JVR to Philly 5yr/$35M
- Derek Ryan to Calgary 3yr / $?
- David Perron to St Louis

Free Agency 'officially' opens at noon today.

JHikka Jul 1, 2018 1:24 PM

Vancouver signing Beagle to 4x3 and Roussel to 4x3.25 :haha: :haha:

Stastny leaving Winnipeg for Vegas. Rumours that Vegas are interested in Karlsson and are willing to take on Bobby Ryan...

suburbanite Jul 1, 2018 3:38 PM

This Tavares saga needs to end so I can stop checking my phone every 5 minutes.

As long as it's not Boston or Tampa.

suburbanite Jul 1, 2018 5:10 PM

Best Canada Day ever.

Years of insufferable Leafs fans claiming every hometown star has finally paid off.

JHikka Jul 1, 2018 5:10 PM

Tavares to Toronto. Seven years, $11M average annual.

Staying off the internet and social media for ten years to avoid Leafs fans.

TownGuy Jul 1, 2018 5:28 PM

HF Boards server crashed lol

Berklon Jul 1, 2018 6:19 PM

The Jays and TFC will be taking a backseat to this signing for about a month. :haha:

suburbanite Jul 1, 2018 6:37 PM

Also cue the bullshit media talk from bill simmons about how this will drive Matthews away. Can't wait.

Mrs Sauga Jul 1, 2018 7:19 PM

Calling it now, Leafs are going tot he finals (barring major injuries)

suburbanite Jul 1, 2018 7:33 PM

You're much more optimistic than me then.

Defense hasn't gotten any better unless Dermott has some spectacular breakout season. There is something to be said for losing jvr and bozak and replacing them with young guys who are much more active in their own zone though.

Andersen had a spectacular season last year, apart from an awful October he would've been a more serious consideration for the vezina. The leafs would be heavily relying on him to carry a lacklustre defense to the finals ala Matt Murray and the pens.

sdimedru Jul 1, 2018 8:06 PM

Good for the Leafs, going to be a solid team... definitely had to shell out $$ though wow... for not even a top 10 center in the league

suburbanite Jul 1, 2018 8:36 PM

Not a top 10 center in the league? finished 16th in scoring out of all players last year.

If he's outside of the top 10 then you're ranking guys like Matthews, Scheifele, Getzlaf, and Toews above him.

TownGuy Jul 1, 2018 8:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sdimedru (Post 8238824)
Good for the Leafs, going to be a solid team... definitely had to shell out $$ though wow... for not even a top 10 center in the league ������

Please don't post in the NHL thread anymore.

sdimedru Jul 1, 2018 10:01 PM

Crosby, Malkin, McDavid, Schieffle, Bergeron, Getzlaf, Barkov, Stamkos, Kopitar, Backstrom, McKinnon, Pavelski, Seguin, Giroux...

he’s not far off top 10... I didn’t say he’s terrible... just my perspective- don’t get to see him play much maybe that factors in?

I dunno seems like I’m the minority here I guess ...

sdimedru Jul 1, 2018 10:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by suburbanite (Post 8238832)
Not a top 10 center in the league? finished 16th in scoring out of all players last year.

If he's outside of the top 10 then you're ranking guys like Matthews, Scheifele, Getzlaf, and Toews above him.

And yeah, I might even say Matthews and Draisaitl are more comparable ? Or should I zip it:shrug:

JHikka Jul 1, 2018 10:25 PM

Scheifele, Pavelski, Seguin, Giroux, Barkov, Backstrom, Getzlaf, MacKinnon are not better centres than Tavares. Next.

Tavares is an easy top 10C in the NHL. He's likely number four or five.

JHikka Jul 2, 2018 3:34 AM

Meanwhile, a centre that's almost as good as Tavares (;)), Ryan O'Reilly, is heading to the Blues. Central division continues to be the thunderdome.

TownGuy Jul 2, 2018 10:44 AM

The O'Reilly trade shows the true beauty of signing Tavares. No assets lost for the Leafs, still have all their picks, didn't lose any prospects or players from the roster. Tavares comes with a bigger cap hit but then again he is also better.

suburbanite Jul 2, 2018 12:59 PM

Wow that's a fair bit of term that Calgary gave Neal.

Edit: I didn't realize he was only 30. That contract takes him until he's 35. Might hurt for the last year or so but I like that deal.

The Chemist Jul 2, 2018 11:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by suburbanite (Post 8239135)
Wow that's a fair bit of term that Calgary gave Neal.

Edit: I didn't realize he was only 30. That contract takes him until he's 35. Might hurt for the last year or so but I like that deal.

I like it too. The Flames have made some great moves already - way more depth up front than last season. I hope they dump Brouwer soon to free up some salary, though. After all, Chucky needs to get paid next season.

Neal's contract has no NMC / NTC, so the Flames could easily expose him in the expansion draft in 3-4 years if Seattle's franchise is ready by then.

DoubleK Jul 4, 2018 3:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Firebrand (Post 8238199)
Since the Habs bought out Mason, do you think the Jets will sign Mason for cheap, or they’ll move to someone else? Their goaltending depth is very thin, and Comrie is not at a competent level that Mason is.

I'm pretty positive he can't be signed by the Jets. It's circumventing the cap.