SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Canada (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   The Great Canadian Sports Attendance, Marketing and TV Ratings Thread (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=228928)

jonny24 Aug 8, 2022 7:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JHikka (Post 9696823)
I think there would need to be a breakdown on people who would prefer to attend games on Sunday nights versus people who would prefer to watch games on TV on Sunday nights. For TV i'm sure it would be better but i'm not convinced Sunday night crowds would be conducive in most markets (for CFL or other leagues). Consumers typically prefer to stay at home on Sundays in preparing for the workweek, so things like streaming services and TV typically do best on Sunday.

For physical attendance I think it would be a tough ask, to say nothing of the schedule being more heavily-weighted to Sundays in June/July/August and then suddenly shifting September-onwards as the NFL starts. There's a lot to be said for consistent home scheduling throughout the year to create consistency and reliability in consumers.

I think there would be a huge difference depending on kickoff time. Sunday afternoon I would love, evening not so much (for attending).

TV - evening would be a bit better.

There really is a conflict between "doing stuff" time and "staying home watching stuff" time.

JHikka Aug 10, 2022 7:18 PM

Rob Williams
@RobTheHockeyGuy
Attendance numbers from the first day of the #WorldJuniors in Edmonton.

The three games combined for just 1,635 fans:
Czechia-Slovakia: 430
Latvia-Finland: 376
USA-Germany: 829

Chalk this up to whatever you like - matchups, timing, summer, Hockey Canada scandals, but the numbers are the numbers.

Combine this with the lack of on-ice and board sponsors at the venue and you get what can only be described as a disappointing event for Hockey Canada, TSN, and the IIHF in what is otherwise the biggest annual money-maker for HC.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FZw9LpiU...pg&name=medium

thurmas Aug 10, 2022 7:23 PM

Yeah with it summer time and the scandals right now not surprised at all its turning out like this.

esquire Aug 10, 2022 7:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JHikka (Post 9699161)
Rob Williams
@RobTheHockeyGuy
Attendance numbers from the first day of the #WorldJuniors in Edmonton.

The three games combined for just 1,635 fans:
Czechia-Slovakia: 430
Latvia-Finland: 376
USA-Germany: 829

Chalk this up to whatever you like - matchups, timing, summer, Hockey Canada scandals, but the numbers are the numbers.

Combine this with the lack of on-ice and board sponsors at the venue and you get what can only be described as a disappointing event for Hockey Canada, TSN, and the IIHF in what is otherwise the biggest annual money-maker for HC.

I don't get what's going on. I get that it's summer and people aren't thinking about hockey, plus the terrible Hockey Canada headlines have left a bad taste in peoples' mouths. And did all the package buyers from Christmas demand refunds?

But that said, the organizers could easily improve the optics by ratcheting down the ticket prices somewhat. Sure they might not take in more gate receipts if they charge $20 a pop, but at least they might have a shot drawing a few thousand people and not dealing with the optics of playing in front of a totally empty arena. This has to be more than disappointing for the organizing stakeholders... it's a disaster.

I'll be curious to see how Team Canada's games do.

thurmas Aug 12, 2022 7:15 PM

World juniors averaging 890 fans a game so far ouch!!! I think U Sports football draws better crowds these days.

esquire Aug 12, 2022 7:15 PM

^ U Sports football doesn't charge two hundred bucks a ticket to watch the home team

thurmas Aug 12, 2022 7:53 PM

Another learning experience for hockey canada glad to see this bitting them in the ass like this

thurmas Aug 17, 2022 11:36 PM

https://3downnation.com/2022/08/16/r...gs-in-week-10/

Following the worst week on television for the CFL in 2022, the Saskatchewan Roughriders returned from a bye to boost ratings on TSN in Week 10.

Cody Fajardo totalled three touchdowns as the green and white won 34-23 in Edmonton, the Riders’ second victory over the Elks this season. Saskatchewan improved to 5-4 and sent Edmonton to 2-7 during the first year with Chris Jones back as head coach in the Alberta capital. The Roughriders have secured the season series between the two teams and are in the crossover playoff spot well ahead of the Elks.

It was the Riders’ fifth game of the regular season schedule with 600,000-plus viewers tuning in. Only one other CFL game has gone over that number, Winnipeg’s showdown with Calgary in Week 8. Saskatchewan has been the TV ratings champions for many years running and the Roughriders’ presence pushed the three-down league to its second-best average week this year.

The Alouettes upsetting the previously undefeated Blue Bombers brought in a respectable number as well. Canadian kicker Marc Liegghio missed a 32-yard field goal at the end of regulation and Montreal prevailed 20-17 in overtime. It was a tightly-contested game with neither team holding more than a one-score lead at any time, which created intrigued and helped the total audience.

Canadian quarterback Nathan Rourke leading an unbelievable comeback at McMahon Stadium was the third-highest rated contest despite being the most exciting. Rourke brought his B.C. Lions back from 15 points down in the second half to win 41-40 on a last-second field goal by Sean Whyte.

2022 Week 10 TV ratings:

Thursday
Montreal at Winnipeg — 591,900

Friday
Toronto at Hamilton — 433,900

Saturday
B.C. at Calgary — 454,400
Saskatchewan at Edmonton — 610,200

Total Week 10 average: 522,600

(These numbers do not include viewership from RDS, TSN’s French-language affiliate, which has averaged approximately 200,000 viewers for Alouettes games in 2022.)

elly63 Aug 18, 2022 12:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thurmas (Post 9705325)
(These numbers do not include viewership from RDS, TSN’s French-language affiliate, which has averaged approximately 200,000 viewers for Alouettes games in 2022.)

I assume not just Als games are on RDS. Can anyone offer an educated guess on how many RDS viewers there might be for the games not involving the Als.

Good to see 3down including the RDS stat.

thurmas Aug 18, 2022 4:45 PM

Apparently WWE is considering Netflix in its bid for rights to smackdown and raw with Netflix new ad tier they want to get into live sports. Also Netflix bid on right the rights to formula 1. If they are able to land these then the sports landscape maybe even more inclined to leave traditional broadcasters who are slowly dying off for failure to innovate ie tsn and sportsnet

elly63 Aug 18, 2022 9:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elly63 (Post 9705348)
I assume not just Als games are on RDS. Can anyone offer an educated guess on how many RDS viewers there might be for the games not involving the Als.

Good to see 3down including the RDS stat.

I heard someone say that there are a number of Redblack games on RDS. Can someone comment on what CFL has for games on RDS. A large number of Redblack games would help solve the conundrum of their low TV ratings (compared to other teams)

JHikka Aug 18, 2022 11:56 PM

Most REDBLACKS games are on RDS (or at least they used to be) and IIRC they usually draw between 25-50K, which would line up with them drawing roughly a quarter what the Alouettes would typically draw on the same network. Been a while since i've seen any numbers, though.

esquire Aug 19, 2022 1:01 AM

Much like with the Sens, I would imagine the appeal of Redblacks games on RDS is somewhat limited geographically... there are probably not many people watching beyond, let's say, about 100 km from downtown Gatineau.

elly63 Aug 19, 2022 1:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by esquire (Post 9706369)
Much like with the Sens, I would imagine the appeal of Redblacks games on RDS is somewhat limited geographically... there are probably not many people watching beyond, let's say, about 100 km from downtown Gatineau.

I would say that there would have to be a sizeable number of government workers whose first language is French and that they would likely be watching RDS.

I think there has been something behind the Ottawa numbers since the very beginning. Not only were they a curiosity when they first re-entered the league they weren't a bad team from the getgo. There was a lot to like about them, the vibe was good but their TV numbers didn't reflect that as compared to other teams.

The numbers can be deceiving, look at Mtl/Wpg, add RDS and you're looking at 700-800k a damn good number.

esquire Aug 19, 2022 2:33 AM

^ Ottawa is weird. The team seems to be popular and draw well, but as you point out, their TV numbers are typically not all that great relative to other CFL teams. And in terms of away fan presence, at least at IG Field, they are basically tied with Montreal and Toronto for bottom tier.

Acajack Aug 19, 2022 3:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elly63 (Post 9706217)
I heard someone say that there are a number of Redblack games on RDS. Can someone comment on what CFL has for games on RDS. A large number of Redblack games would help solve the conundrum of their low TV ratings (compared to other teams)

I've never noticed that RDS does anything special with respect to showing Redblacks games as opposed to games with other CFL teams (except for the Alouettes of course - they get the royal treatment).

Most Redblacks games are on RDS but that's only because most (but not all) CFL games are on RDS.

It's not really like the Senators which get a "second home team" coverage. Far far behind the Habs of course, but still more than any other NHL team, including the other Canadian ones.

Even though they don't show all their games, Senators games are branded as "Le Hockey des Sénateurs", whereas Redblacks games get no such branding.

Acajack Aug 19, 2022 3:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by esquire (Post 9706369)

I think Redblacks appeal in general is probably fairly limited geographically, and you don't have many fans either anglophone or francophone, in either province, outside of that radius from Ottawa.

I think this probably explains the low TV ratings more than anything related to francophones.

Incidentally you have the same thing going on with the Senators as well, with relatively little fandom outside of Ottawa's immediate catchment area.

Acajack Aug 19, 2022 3:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JHikka (Post 9706338)
Most REDBLACKS games are on RDS (or at least they used to be) and IIRC they usually draw between 25-50K, which would line up with them drawing roughly a quarter what the Alouettes would typically draw on the same network. Been a while since i've seen any numbers, though.

I would say that number is probably fairly typical for CFL games on RDS not involving the Alouettes.

The Redblacks are probably on the high end of that average, for reasons we've discussed. Games not involving them or obviously the Alouettes will all be on the lower end of the scale.

I believe the Grey Cup in recent years has been in the 100-150k range on RDS. If the Alouettes were there, it would go over a million though - but they haven't been there in a while.

thurmas Aug 19, 2022 3:13 PM

Ottawa is just always a poor draw for tv both cfl and nhl. They don't really have much of a fan base in visiting cities either i have never seen people wearing sens or reblacks gear outside of Ottawa. Going to bombers games i see sometimes some tiger cats or edmonton gear on fans but never Ottawa.

Acajack Aug 19, 2022 3:14 PM

I should also mention that lots of francophones likely watch Redblacks games in English on TSN. This is especially true of Ottawa- and Ontario-based francophones who are a quarter to a third of all francophones in the Ottawa-Gatineau metro. These people would already be showing up in the TSN numbers.