SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Business, Politics & the Economy (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=287)
-   -   2018 Municipal Election (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=224277)

NortheastWind Oct 19, 2018 6:30 PM

There was a Hamilton Municipal Election 2018: Ward 3 Community Associations Debate (more a discussion) on October 9th.

I found Laura Farr followed by Nann the most qualified.

Farr has spent 10 years working for councillors, knows the issues and City Hall, is well spoken and educated, so I decided to put her sign on my lawn.

mattgrande Oct 19, 2018 6:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NortheastWind (Post 8351272)
There was a Hamilton Municipal Election 2018: Ward 3 Community Associations Debate (more a discussion) on October 9th.

I found Laura Farr followed by Nann the most qualified.

Farr has spent 10 years working for councillors, knows the issues and City Hall, is well spoken and educated, so I decided to put her sign on my lawn.

I attended that debate. I showed up trying to decided between Farr, Nann, Smith, and Bureau. I walked away firmly in Farr's camp.

I'm really worried Ned Kuruc is going to get in. He's got a lot of signs.

interr0bangr Oct 19, 2018 8:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mattgrande (Post 8351298)
I attended that debate. I showed up trying to decided between Farr, Nann, Smith, and Bureau. I walked away firmly in Farr's camp.

I'm really worried Ned Kuruc is going to get in. He's got a lot of signs.

Ned has signs on almost every abandoned house/property and the ones that seem legit are on properties that have matching Vito Sgro signs, so I'm not too concerned. The guy is a MMA meathead though so (sorry to sterotype, but) I could see him resonating strongly with the east end ti-cats fanbase.

interr0bangr Oct 19, 2018 8:33 PM

I've convinced everyone in my office that lives in Hamilton to vote for Fred so (including me) that's +6. Two of those are mountaineers in ward 6 and the new ward 12.

TheRitsman Oct 19, 2018 8:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by interr0bangr (Post 8351426)
I've convinced everyone in my office that lives in Hamilton to vote for Fred so (including me) that's +6.

Get a sign and consider donating like $5 too! Signs convince a lot of people to vote for someone despite what people think. You want you vote not to go to waste, convince more people with a sign. There's only 3 days you'd need it for.

interr0bangr Oct 19, 2018 8:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheRitsman (Post 8351431)
Get a sign and consider donating like $5 too! Signs convince a lot of people to vote for someone despite what people think. You want you vote not to go to waste, convince more people with a sign. There's only 3 days you'd need it for.


Oh I've got signs baby.

king10 Oct 20, 2018 2:46 AM

Conley and Pearson come out in suppport of Sgro tn. Both against LRT. This election is getting interesting.

LRTfan Oct 20, 2018 3:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by king10 (Post 8351727)
Conley and Pearson come out in suppport of Sgro tn. Both against LRT. This election is getting interesting.

This city is embarrassing.
These career politicians without an ounce of vision really need to go.
Another 15-20 years and they should be mostly gone and the next generation can get to work fixing this once-great city the geezers butchered for 75 years.

hamilton23 Oct 20, 2018 8:25 PM

Electing anyone to office who's opposed to LRT is just reckless. We need the LRT to improve our infrastructure.

TheRitsman Oct 20, 2018 11:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hamilton23 (Post 8352147)
Electing anyone to office who's opposed to LRT is just reckless. We need the LRT to improve our infrastructure.

We've lost. LRT isn't happening. Vito is likely to win.

hamilton23 Oct 21, 2018 4:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheRitsman (Post 8352262)
We've lost. LRT isn't happening. Vito is likely to win.

I wouldn't say that for certain just yet.

It boggles my mind that a mayoral candidate cannot see the obvious positive impact from implementing an LRT system in Hamilton. We're literally stuck in the stone ages if this happens and it's just plain sickening to witness.

We have a lot of other issues besides an LRT, but the LRT would just be such a huge step forward for infrastructure and for improving businesses/bringing in established businesses to Hamilton.

Would be a shame, but I'm still remaining hopeful for the time being.

lachlanholmes Oct 21, 2018 5:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheRitsman (Post 8352262)
We've lost. LRT isn't happening. Vito is likely to win.

I agree, unfortunately.

That delay with the ATU and a certain councillor prevented us from getting a contract inked before the elxn.

HamiltonBoyInToronto Oct 21, 2018 9:34 PM

I don't think as many people actually will vote for Vito .... His signs are everywhere but I don't think it will add up .... I just can't imagine for the life of me why this is even an issue ....it's been decided now time to move on .... Why does Hamilton always have a fricken debate and decade long decision making and then end up with something sub-par ... ? Why do the citizens have so much input on everything? Some things should be decided by experts and professionals who know what they are doing and not citizens who are illiterate and scared of change

King&James Oct 22, 2018 4:17 PM

Mayor is just one of 16 votes, so this silly debate will continue on regardless of outcome. Council members that flipped should be held accountable for the wasted spend to date. Nothing has changed and good luck on getting any consensus on other infrastructure or transit priorities.

hamilton23 Oct 22, 2018 4:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by King&James (Post 8353458)
Mayor is just one of 16 votes, so this silly debate will continue on regardless of outcome. Council members that flipped should be held accountable for the wasted spend to date. Nothing has changed and good luck on getting any consensus on other infrastructure or transit priorities.

Couldn't agree more with this statement.

SteelTown Oct 22, 2018 11:20 PM

Although the Mayor is just one vote in council, the Mayor is chair of all committee (if he or she wishes to be so) and is typically the first person the Premier or any cabinet minister speaks to from Queen's Park.

We only need to look at Bob Bratina as Mayor, he did everything to push LRT aside and get the Premier and Minister of Transportation to focus on GO Transit.

Anyways, I voted! I hope I'm not disappointed tonight.

drpgq Oct 23, 2018 12:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteelTown (Post 8353930)
Although the Mayor is just one vote in council, the Mayor is chair of all committee (if he or she wishes to be so) and is typically the first person the Premier or any cabinet minister speaks to from Queen's Park.

We only need to look at Bob Bratina as Mayor, he did everything to push LRT aside and get the Premier and Minister of Transportation to focus on GO Transit.

Anyways, I voted! I hope I'm not disappointed tonight.

The irony of Bob focusing so much on GO Transit, is that after many, many years, Hamilton has so little to show for it.

SteelTown Oct 23, 2018 12:19 AM

With 7 polls only Fred is ahead, 56% to 33% Sgro.

SteelTown Oct 23, 2018 12:36 AM

With 35 polls, it's basically the same. Fred is ahead.

SteelTown Oct 23, 2018 12:37 AM

Looks like Maureen Wilson will win as ward 1.


All times are GMT. The time now is 2:18 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.