SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   My City Photos (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=321)
-   -   Early 20th Century Suburbia (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=160292)

flar Nov 4, 2008 4:40 AM

Early 20th Century Suburbia

HAMILTON NEIGHBOURHOODS:
CorktownDurandCentralDundasLocke St. SouthBurlingtonStinsonWestdaleSt. ClairKeithLandsdale
The DeltaGibsonJamesvilleConcession StreetDurand NorthDurand SouthOld Dundas HousesHess VillageBarton Street
AncasterNorth KirkendallSouth KirkendallMcMaster UniversityDowntownThe BayfrontThe North EndKenilworth
Mountain BrowTextile DistrictStrathconaNorth StipleyFlamboroughBeasleyChedokeStoney CreekThe Beach Strip

HAMILTON FEATURES:
C I T Y _ L I G H T SStone HamiltonTwilight of the Industrial AgeTwilight of the Industrial Age II
Stone in Dundas and AncasterGoodbye, Hamilton (from 43 floors up)Dirty BrickDay for Night
This broken down old city still manages to wake up every morning...Everywhere, Ontario< R - E - T - R - O >
HAMILTON | Scenes from the cutting room floorS U B U R B I A !Everywhere, OntarioHamilton Rowhouses
< H E A V Y <> I N D U S T R Y > Old Man Winter vs. Hamilton

Chedoke Park
Hamilton, Ontario

This often overlooked but very beautiful early 20th century neighbourhood is tucked under the Niagara Escarpment southwest
of central Hamilton. Most of the homes pictured are middle to upper middle class, with some working class streets to the north and
closer to industrial areas. The older homes in this area are generally Edwardian, built up until about 1930. Edwardian
architecture tends to be simpler than the elaborate Victorian that came before it, but still more detailed than the residential
architecture of the later 20th century. Tudor Revival starts to dominate the streets built later, probably into the 1940's. These
houses have a distinctly English feel to them. Elements of a few other revival styles are also represented here and there. Edwardian
and Tudor Revival seem to go very well together. There are several other neighbourhoods like this in Hamilton (for
example, see my tours of Westdale and St. Clair) as well as in many North American cities both large and small.

Some nearby commercial on Aberdeen and Dundurn

A railroad, an old industrial area and Highway 403 (Chedoke Expressway) separate the Chedoke Park/Kirkendall area from
West Hamilton:

Working class variations:

http://aas.ath.cx/threads/chedoke.jpg

Top Of The Park Nov 4, 2008 5:30 AM

wonderful homes

Jibba Nov 4, 2008 6:21 AM

What a gorgeous neighborhood. Thanks for the great photos; Hamilton continues to delight.

Urban Zombie Nov 4, 2008 7:32 AM

Great stuff as usual, man. Some classy looking housing in some of these.

This shot is damned insane:

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k2...doke/00034.jpg

ShadowMaster Nov 4, 2008 8:08 AM

Beautiful set! I enjoy the details of your photos, great quality. Hamilton is growing as one of my preferred Canadian cities. Hamilton has varied architectural diversity per neighborhood. Ranging from rows, apartment buildings which varies in size, large or smaller detached single family homes, ect. Good tour!

TinChelseaNYC Nov 4, 2008 11:31 AM

What a beautiful neighborhood. That Hamilton sure is a nice town.

Robert Pence Nov 4, 2008 1:26 PM

Great subject matter and kick-ass photography (as usual!).

[Edit:]I noticed that in the street views on trash pickup day, virtually every house has recycling tubs at the curb. I wish we could get that kind of participation; in my neighborhood it's less than twenty percent participation.

That looks like a heavily owner-occupied area, and we have a lot of rentals; that may have a lot to do with it. My neighbors party a lot, and they'll put out three 30-gallon cans, all overflowing, with aluminum and glass and recyclable plastics all just thrown in with the trash.

Curbside recycling is automatically charged to all utility customers, but most don't use it even though they're paying for it. Trash is as trash does, I guess.

theWatusi Nov 4, 2008 1:44 PM

great work :)

xzmattzx Nov 5, 2008 6:09 AM

Another great neighborhood in Hamilton.

UglymanCometh Nov 5, 2008 4:59 PM

High quality shots as usual! Nice camera work :tup:

I'm becoming a bigger Hamilton fan every thread you post...

City_boy12 Nov 5, 2008 11:43 PM

beautiful!

denveraztec Nov 6, 2008 3:56 AM

Fantastic colors and great homes, well heck, it is a Flar Thread!

flar Nov 7, 2008 5:01 AM

Thanks! There really are a lot of beautiful areas in Hamilton, completely at odds with the city's poor reputation. A lot of people (even Hamiltonians) don't know about neighbourhoods like this.

KevinFromTexas Nov 7, 2008 7:17 AM

Incredible. Man those colors are just nuts.

snarf66 Nov 7, 2008 2:42 PM

Incredible pictures! Those old houses have so much character, unlike today's houses. Beautiful neighbourhood and amazing colours!

Cbautz Nov 7, 2008 3:10 PM

What a beautiful place. Love the fall colors, impressive set of images

stepper77 Nov 7, 2008 5:06 PM

Simply wonderful!!

ChrisLA Nov 7, 2008 5:43 PM

Looks like a nice place to live, beautiful photos.

10101000 Nov 7, 2008 5:47 PM

Really great photos.

flar Nov 8, 2008 1:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rob_1412 (Post 3890552)
Great subject matter and kick-ass photography (as usual!).

[Edit:]I noticed that in the street views on trash pickup day, virtually every house has recycling tubs at the curb. I wish we could get that kind of participation; in my neighborhood it's less than twenty percent participation.

That looks like a heavily owner-occupied area, and we have a lot of rentals; that may have a lot to do with it. My neighbors party a lot, and they'll put out three 30-gallon cans, all overflowing, with aluminum and glass and recyclable plastics all just thrown in with the trash.

Curbside recycling is automatically charged to all utility customers, but most don't use it even though they're paying for it. Trash is as trash does, I guess.

I don't know what the stats are for recycling in Hamilton, but upper middle class Canadians are generally pretty conscientious. There aren't many rentals in this neighbourhood and the houses start at $300k.

There is also a one container limit being phased in on garbage pickup, so it's an incentive to recycle. Hamilton has blue box, green cart, leaf and yard waste pickup and backyard composting programs to help reduce the amount of trash.