SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Google Sketchup (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=159)
-   -   Google Sketchup Updates/Questions/Tips (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=140789)

Mocholate Feb 5, 2009 8:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Krases (Post 4063911)
I am now having a problem with google sketchup when it comes to selecting large amounts of objects/geography. It immediately crashes when I do that.

Window > Preferences > General / OpenGL

Turn off 'autosave'
Turn off 'fast feedback'
Turn off 'autocheck for problems'
Turn on 'use hardware acceleration' if you have an openGL type of graphics card.

All depends on your system specs though.

Austin55 Feb 9, 2009 11:13 PM

I made a really nice smart tree. if you want another type of tree request one please.

http://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehou...22b838c125a50b

Vellu Feb 10, 2009 5:43 PM

Austin, that is a really nice tall tree! :tup: I will have to try it in Navaho Springs, and see how it comes out in render.

Austin55 Feb 11, 2009 12:23 AM

It won't render in kerky( because it has see-through parts) but it will export normally, I need to means it bit clearer though, it's really fuzzy.

Krases Feb 15, 2009 3:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mocholate (Post 4069007)
Window > Preferences > General / OpenGL

Turn off 'autosave'
Turn off 'fast feedback'
Turn off 'autocheck for problems'
Turn on 'use hardware acceleration' if you have an openGL type of graphics card.

All depends on your system specs though.

4 gigs ram, 512 Radeon graphics card, quad core processor...my specs are fairly strong. I will try that though and see if it helps.

edit: Unfortunately it didn't help. Oh well.

Krases Feb 15, 2009 3:30 AM

Well in other news...my first kerky render! Yay!

Very simple. I need to really learn how to get lights working correctly. I also see why rendering can be a bit of a hassle. It took about 2 minutes for this very simple scene. I would imagine a whole building would take a few hours.

http://img24.imageshack.us/img24/299...nderyayjc9.jpg

Mocholate Feb 15, 2009 4:03 AM

Keep testing !

I haven't had any luck getting more than 20 lights to render in a decent amount of time and thus have never done any night shots. A simpler way is to add lights in Kerk rather than in SU although navigating the model and moving the lights in Kerk is rather painfull !

Maybe you need to re install SU to solve your problem since your pc is up to spec it shouldn't crash like that :dunno:.

Krases Feb 15, 2009 7:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mocholate (Post 4088507)
Keep testing !

I haven't had any luck getting more than 20 lights to render in a decent amount of time and thus have never done any night shots. A simpler way is to add lights in Kerk rather than in SU although navigating the model and moving the lights in Kerk is rather painfull !

Maybe you need to re install SU to solve your problem since your pc is up to spec it shouldn't crash like that :dunno:.

I may just do that when I eventually upgrade to Sketchup 7.

Here is my latest test image. 75 point lights, 2 spotlights (the spotlights failed to show). I also tried setting up the sun. Took about 55 minutes to render.

http://img209.imageshack.us/img209/9891/redner2oe1.jpg

Mocholate Feb 16, 2009 7:07 AM

Pretty cool, I want to experiment with having a void down the core of a building and shine the light through it so that i can use just 1 light - The floors could be reflective so the light distributes through.Theres also the option to make the window material itself illuminate.

toyota74 Feb 17, 2009 6:04 PM

will making a tower in to a component reduce its file size or how can i get my file size down......after doing 4 or 5 towers sketch up wont respond [detailed ones ]....any tips

Krases Feb 18, 2009 3:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mocholate (Post 4090515)
Pretty cool, I want to experiment with having a void down the core of a building and shine the light through it so that i can use just 1 light - The floors could be reflective so the light distributes through.Theres also the option to make the window material itself illuminate.

Just got to find the most reflective surface possible. I couldn't find any sort of mirror.

When you put down certain KT textures, do they show up as pink to you in google sketchup but become normal in KT and when you render? Its not a problem, I just wanted to make sure its normal.

I think that little test I did was a good stress test. Took nearly an hour to render but there was a LOT of glass (around 300 individual panels). That was doing a background render too. I may do a render using all of my systems resources (not a background render) next time and just do something else while the computer works.

With some of the ideas I have been playing with lately, I may have some pretty epic renders if I ever finish a project.

treras93 Feb 18, 2009 4:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Krases (Post 4094638)
Just got to find the most reflective surface possible. I couldn't find any sort of mirror.

if you want to make a mirror:

1. select the face you want to reflect
2. edit material>change from "matte/phong" to the "dielectric/glass" setting.
3. then turn the reflection to solid white
4. finally, uncheck the "fresnel" box
:)

Mocholate Feb 19, 2009 6:47 AM

Not sure what you mean by using Kerk textures in SU - I just use plain colours and edit all in Kerk, But if using SU textures you don't even have to select 'shaded with textures' in SU before you export - Once exported to Kerk it will still show.

Austin55 Mar 3, 2009 1:08 AM

I think we should enact a forumwide (cityscape areas) requirement of 5 words minimum per post so we dont jut get Good Job! and Wow!

Mocholate Mar 3, 2009 7:36 AM

Nobody really takes anyones advise, :haha:

I guess a few go by this below,

I don't mind if no one comments on mine with the above mentioned verbs just to keep me happy - I can see the thread view count.
Just tell me if something sucks.

sergio3485 Mar 7, 2009 7:41 AM

does anyone know how to print on a desirable scale??? i always have to export drawings to dwg to print them on autocad but it takes too much time.

for example, i want to print some walls on a parallel view in a 1:200 scale. how do i do that?

photoLith Mar 8, 2009 4:33 AM

Is there any way to make the file sizes smaller? My computer whenever Im using my Russellville model slows down a bunch and the model textures take forever to load whenever you just move the model around. Right now, the full model is about 7.5 mb, but when I finish it it will probably be about 25 mb. My computer would probably crash if it got that big. Is there any way to make the file sizes smaller? Or do I just need to but a whole bunch of ram for my computer?

photoLith Mar 8, 2009 4:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sergio3485 (Post 4127722)
does anyone know how to print on a desirable scale??? i always have to export drawings to dwg to print them on autocad but it takes too much time.

for example, i want to print some walls on a parallel view in a 1:200 scale. how do i do that?

I dont know mate, sorry.

Krases Mar 15, 2009 10:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by photolitherland (Post 4128820)
Is there any way to make the file sizes smaller? My computer whenever Im using my Russellville model slows down a bunch and the model textures take forever to load whenever you just move the model around. Right now, the full model is about 7.5 mb, but when I finish it it will probably be about 25 mb. My computer would probably crash if it got that big. Is there any way to make the file sizes smaller? Or do I just need to but a whole bunch of ram for my computer?

Well what I do sometimes is make a new layer and set it to "hidden". All models I don't need at that moment can then be easily hidden to take a load off my computer.

That SHOULD work. It could be my imagination.

But when you un-hide the models, expect your computer to slow right back down. Sketchup tends to crash with me if there is way too much on screen.

What are your computers specs?

@treras93: Ok I will try that when I get a chance.

Krases Mar 15, 2009 10:49 PM

God Kerky is giving me problems. I really wish they would make the learning curve a bit easier. I just had a model going, but it wouldn't render the way I wanted so I exited out and made my one and only spotlight a bit more powerful, but when I tried uploading it again, overwriting the first Kerky file, it wouldn't show my model.

They should release a special sketchup edition or something.