SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   City Compilations (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=87)
-   -   SAN DIEGO | Boom Rundown, Vol. 2 (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=126473)

mello Jun 22, 2007 6:17 PM

So what is the answer penalty or no penalty for landing at Lindbergh past 11:30?? If there is no penalty then what SDCAL was describing on the previous page of this thread doesn't seem to make sense. Why couldn't he come back from LA late at night when returning from Asia? This is very strange :shrug:

NOTE: Kind of funny how if the curfew is only for incoming flights because that is where the less "well off" people live... neighborhoods such as Golden Hill, the funky part of Bankers Hill, and the economically depressed hoods of South East San Diego that are in the flightpath east of Golden Hill - Encanto etc. can't think of the names right now. While the mostly upper middle class to rich folks in Point Loma, Ocean Beach, Mission Hills, and Mission Beach are spared the upsetting late night noise on the *take off end* of the runway.

SDCAL Jun 22, 2007 9:38 PM

My opinion of el cortez

I don't think it's ugly and I think it hassignificant historical importance and should be retained and unkept asit has been. this does not mean, however, that building around it should not go forward, afterall it is downtown. The tower next to it could be the most internationally recognized marvel known by architects the world over and the residents of EC would STILL complain that it shouldn't go up. As one person said, it comes down to people pissed about losing their view plain and simple

Derek Jun 22, 2007 9:42 PM

^You are so right. People living downtown need to realize that new buildings are going to get built. They need to stop being little bitches and realize that it isn't all about them. :)

I don't think the residents of Rancho Bernardo will be too thrilled with an 11 story building going up. Too many NIMBYs.

SDCAL Jun 22, 2007 9:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mello (Post 2913127)
So what is the answer penalty or no penalty for landing at Lindbergh past 11:30?? If there is no penalty then what SDCAL was describing on the previous page of this thread doesn't seem to make sense. Why couldn't he come back from LA late at night when returning from Asia? This is very strange :shrug:

NOTE: Kind of funny how if the curfew is only for incoming flights because that is where the less "well off" people live... neighborhoods such as Golden Hill, the funky part of Bankers Hill, and the economically depressed hoods of South East San Diego that are in the flightpath east of Golden Hill - Encanto etc. can't think of the names right now. While the mostly upper middle class to rich folks in Point Loma, Ocean Beach, Mission Hills, and Mission Beach are spared the upsetting late night noise on the *take off end* of the runway.

just relaying what the travel agent told me. they checked all airlines and nothing leaves LA for SD past 10:30 pm. I know from past experiences that things do fly after that time between LA and SD but it seems like it ws due to the airline being late. I have a feeling it happens frequently they are just not standard scheduled flights

roadwarrior Jun 22, 2007 9:53 PM

Are they still planning on extending the trolley up to the UCSD/UTC area by 2012?

I remember that was the talks when I lived in SD, in the late 90s. I'd imagine that with all the high-rise developing going on right now in the UTC area that it'll push through.

Derek Jun 22, 2007 10:37 PM

All talk, no action.

eburress Jun 23, 2007 12:58 AM

Action requires money.

HurricaneHugo Jun 23, 2007 3:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sandiego_urban (Post 2912970)
Here's the artist rendering of what the bridge would look like when it's lit up. Looks great to me :tup:

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y12...3/coronado.jpg

Beautiful.

Urban Sky Jun 23, 2007 5:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Derek loves SD (Post 2913587)
I don't think the residents of Rancho Bernardo will be too thrilled with an 11 story building going up. Too many NIMBYs.

I think it's already approved. It's too bad Sony couldn't move downtown. This is why we don't have more office buildings downtown. GR

Derek Jun 23, 2007 6:44 AM

^Expect complaints. ;)

I agree though, I wish Sony would go downtown instead of out in the suburbs. :(

eburress Jun 23, 2007 4:18 PM

^^ Their employees all live in the burbs, so while it would be great for SD, it would be bad for their employees. That's generally not the sort of business you'd find in most downtowns anyway though. It seems like its usually more financial-based businesses that fill up the downtown buildings.

dl3000 Jun 24, 2007 2:26 AM

Agreed eburress.

So is this complex the US headquarters for Sony or what because they have the Sony Tower in New York which I figured to be their headquarters. Either way a downtown building would be awesome.

HurricaneHugo Jun 24, 2007 3:55 AM

nope, its the headquarters for their Sony Electronics division

bmfarley Jun 24, 2007 7:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by roadwarrior (Post 2913610)
Are they still planning on extending the trolley up to the UCSD/UTC area by 2012?

I remember that was the talks when I lived in SD, in the late 90s. I'd imagine that with all the high-rise developing going on right now in the UTC area that it'll push through.

Some say it'll happen... others say it will not. No one knows for certain now.

I hear the main challenge is that cost estimates are going up... Up because of 2 main things 1) Caltrans no longer has the right of way available due to plans to widen I5 and now land will need to be purchased outside of the I5 envelope, and 2) similar situation with the City of San Diego origionally having land available.... but due to fiscal constraints the land no longer comes without a price.

I know from past interest on these types of projects that if projected ridership numbers are modest or low, then it willl likely not score well to receive Federal funding. FTA could fund up to 50% of the cost to construct... higher costs and less than 50% from the feds means more local funds would be required.

bmfarley Jun 25, 2007 2:33 AM

It appears Breeza, Bayside and Saphire each have their foundations right at about grade with the adjacent streets. You know what that means, right? we will see those buildings shoot skyward soon enough as it seems a new floor goes up about every week or week and a half.

Here's a webcam snap i grabbed on Sunday late afternoon:

http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n...s/LI072407.jpg

bmfarley Jun 25, 2007 2:38 AM

Am i the only one that noticed that the Grand Pacific Tower has their CCDC project page updated?

CCDC Grand Pacific Tower

And check out the picture so many of us love!!!!
http://www.ccdc.com/images/propertyI...er%20CH-12.jpg

bmfarley Jun 25, 2007 3:00 AM

And...

Is this a new image for 16th & G Street:

http://www.ccdc.com/images/propertyImages/16&G-CCDC.jpg

Lofts 32

http://www.ccdc.com/images/propertyI...2032%20E64.jpg..not very impressive if you ask me. Google sketchup?

HurricaneHugo Jun 25, 2007 3:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bmfarley (Post 2916681)
And...

Is this a new image for 16th & G Street:

It looks amazing. :)

HurricaneHugo Jun 25, 2007 3:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bmfarley (Post 2916646)

It's a race to the sky!

Derek Jun 25, 2007 3:24 AM

I think I'm the only one who here actually likes Grand Pacific.

It's about time Breeza got up to the street. That one has been under construction for a long time. That's going to be a nice looking area though.

16th and G is HOT! I definitely want to see that built. That area needs to be revitalized, and that's an excellent start.

Lofts 32 is typical infill. Not a bad looking little project though in my opinion.