SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   City Compilations (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=87)
-   -   MEMPHIS | Development News (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=177212)

Wayward Memphian Nov 12, 2014 1:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BnaBreaker (Post 6804187)
There are times that I think about how odd it is that the home of the blues lacks a House of Blues franchise. Other times, though, I wonder if it wouldn't just be like putting an Olive Garden in Rome.

Even harder to comprehend when you consider Tigrett's role in founding it and Hard Rock. It took 30 years for Memphis to finally get a proper Hard Rock.

As for the brewery, Orgel needs to take a trip to Milwaukee and see what's been done with old Pabst Brew House. Would love to see a condo/boutique hotel mix with a microbrew and some shops down low coupled with the type of outdoor space where Untapped was held that Stone Brewery in San Diego has done.

arkitekte Nov 12, 2014 6:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wayward Memphian (Post 6804459)
As for the brewery, Orgel needs to take a trip to Milwaukee and see what's been done with old Pabst Brew House. Would love to see a condo/boutique hotel mix with a microbrew and some shops down low coupled with the type of outdoor space where Untapped was held that Stone Brewery in San Diego has done.

The Pearl here in San Antonio is another great example. It's great that he saved the TN Brewery from demolition, but unless he comes out firing with a solid development and financial plan (or the ability to find a buyer who has one) we'll be right back where we were this past summer.

Chris Warren Nov 13, 2014 3:47 AM

Hard Rock Hotel Explores Beale Street Location

Local Memphis
Quote:

MEMPHIS, TN (localmemphis.com)—There is exciting talk of a new hotel downtown to anchor the future of the Beale Street Entertainment District.

Right now the location is a bunch of parking spaces, but the parking spaces belong to the Hard Rock Café.

The grand opening of the new location for the Hard Rock Café on Beale Street last week was a big deal.

Hard Rock president Hamish Dodds was among those who came to celebrate, but he also came to meet with local investors about turning the parking lot behind the building into a 200 room Hard Rock Hotel.

"It's a really exciting prospect. Think about Hard Rock building a hotel right on Beale Street," Paul Morris of the Downtown Memphis Commission said.

Hard Rock, with its distinctive guitar branding is recognized around the world for its glitzy style, fun, and luxury accommodations. Paul Morris of the Downtown Memphis Commission said a new location in Memphis could have a huge impact.

"Manifest destiny of Beale Street and Riverside Drive kind of meeting and having a better connection. And I really love the idea of a Hard Rock Hotel right on Beale Street and more importantly Hard Rock loves that idea,"Morris said.

But he also warns hotel deals of any kind are especially difficult to put together and often fall apart.

As for any announcement about a new Hard Rock Hotel, a source with knowledge of the discussions now underway said to look for something in the next 30 to 60 days.

Copyright 2014 localmemphis.com Nexstar Broadcasting, All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

arkitekte Nov 13, 2014 4:07 AM

^I'm glad we have some type of a timeline to look forward to, even if it is some unidentified source "close to the discussions"; that phrase always make me want to call b/s, but in any case this is good news.

Speaking of timelines, I'm still waiting for something on OneBeale. I'm starting to think it was either all smoke blowing or that Carlisle didn't get remotely close to the results they had anticipated around the time of the re-proposal.

DoomJ Nov 14, 2014 3:14 PM

Non-sexy industrial news but good news nonetheless...

Target eyes Mid-South for distribution center with up to 600 jobs
http://www.bizjournals.com/memphis/n...6&t=1415977169

Quote:

Target Corp. is close to announcing the selection of a site in Memphis or North Mississippi for a large distribution center that would create up to 600 jobs, according to sources.

Wayward Memphian Nov 14, 2014 5:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DoomJ (Post 6807376)
Non-sexy industrial news but good news nonetheless...

Target eyes Mid-South for distribution center with up to 600 jobs
http://www.bizjournals.com/memphis/n...6&t=1415977169

That's kinda head scratching, it wasn't too long ago they closed a DC outside LR stating they could cover the mid south from others. Hope it's Memphis proper though.

Huntsvillenative Nov 14, 2014 5:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by arkitekte (Post 6805609)
^I'm glad we have some type of a timeline to look forward to, even if it is some unidentified source "close to the discussions"; that phrase always make me want to call b/s, but in any case this is good news.

Speaking of timelines, I'm still waiting for something on OneBeale. I'm starting to think it was either all smoke blowing or that Carlisle didn't get remotely close to the results they had anticipated around the time of the re-proposal.

The proposed site for OneBeale would be a great location for the proposed R&B HOF museum. It would be walking distance from heart of entertainment district.

Wayward Memphian Nov 14, 2014 5:32 PM

This just plays into my ramblings about Mud Island. This will have element protection to it too.
http://fox2now.com/2014/11/13/70-mil...union-station/

ST. LOUIS, MO (KTVI) – A plan to build a $70 million amusement park at Union Station has been filed with the St. Louis TIF commission.

The document outlines what is called ‘phase two’ of the renovation of Union Station. Phase one was the $50 million renovation of the Grand Hall which was completed earlier this year. Union Station was bought in 2012 by Maryland Heights-based Lodging Hospitality Management. LHM is asking the city for an $18.5 million TIF to help fund phase two.

The amusement park would be spread over 26 acres, some of it under the old train shed and some of it inside the building. There are no drawings yet, but it will feature restaurants, retail and rides, including a 200 foot Ferris wheel with heated and air conditioned gondolas. Downtown STL Inc., sees the project as a way to make the city more family friendly.

“Now, we have the City Museum, we have a bowling alley, we have a movie theater and we are going to have this great anchor in Union Station where you get to do things you can`t do in other parts of St. Louis,” said spokesperson Missy Kelley.

DoomJ Nov 14, 2014 7:57 PM

The MBJ Reporter who broke the Target story says he'd give it 60% chance they pick the Memphis site over the North Mississippi site-

tim24tn Nov 14, 2014 10:18 PM

Would be nice if Memphis could get going like Nashville has the last few years in the core. Now with Nashville getting Bridgestone Hq, Memphis is only gonna fall further behind.

memphisborn Nov 15, 2014 12:24 AM

Fairground Master Plan Gets support

http://www.myfoxmemphis.com/story/27...enttype=mobile

They need to break ground on this 2015. This a world class project:yes:

arkitekte Nov 16, 2014 2:46 PM

I didn't see this particular article posted. I'm thrilled that he's working on a plan to rehabilitate and redevelop the brewery. Idk if residential is exactly the answer to that, but we'll see.

New owner talks about road to reopen Tennessee Brewery
http://www.bizjournals.com/memphis/b...tennessee.html

Quote:

After buying the Tennessee Brewery building in Downtown Memphis, the big question facing new owner Billy Orgel is, what now?

Orgel, who just bought the historic building at 495 Tennessee St. for $825,000, told me one of the first steps is to nail down the use. He's leaning residential, with a small amount of commercial space, as I've previously reported, in keeping with the South Main area.

"As Tennessee Brewery Untapped proved, the gathering space in the middle is just fabulous," said Orgel, who is also president of cell tower developer Tower Ventures.
The other steps he's taking now are to clean up the inside, estimate construction costs and start design work for a renovation.

"The building structurally seems to be in OK shape," he said. "There are a lot of windows that have to be put back in. There's a little bit of structural work."

"All in all, the previous owners did a really nice job preserving the building," he added.
Orgel said he'd move forward on the renovation of the historic building as soon as possible "so we can preserve some of our treasure."

"Hopefully, we can begin work soon on another preservation of a landmark," he said.

James Owen Nov 18, 2014 8:01 PM

This is interesting.

Crye-Leike will leave Downtown, clearing way for hotel

By Ryan Poe
Memphis Business Journal

http://www.bizjournals.com/memphis/n...g-way-for.html

Quote:

Crye-Leike Realtors will leave Downtown Memphis for Midtown, opening up its building for a conversion into a boutique hotel.

The Memphis-based real estate firm expects to open its new office at 1715 Union Ave. in the second week of December following a renovation, according to a release. For now, its Downtown office is leasing space in a nearly 44,000-square-foot building at 179 Madison Ave.

More details about the hotel weren't immediately available.
This is the building in question that is slated to become a hotel. It's attached to the Toyota Center/Autozone Park garage right across the street from the Sterick Building.

http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t...pscb5ca0ec.jpg

James Owen Nov 18, 2014 10:53 PM

Master Plan: UTHSC campus plan capitalizing on opportunity
By Don Wade
Memphis Daily News

http://www.memphisdailynews.com/news...9/master-plan/
Quote:

When the campus master plan is fully implemented, UTHSC will have at least 15 new buildings to meet growing academic, research, clinical care and support needs. Another 10 buildings will be renovated, and there will be updated housing options, enhanced pedestrian and bicycle routes, more parking, better green spaces and landscaping and, hopefully, better traffic flow.

Currently, UTHSC is finishing about $5 million in demolition. Construction projects are to include the $49 million Translational Science Research Building, which is nearing completion; the $70 million renovation to buildings in the Historic Quadrangle, which has not yet started; the $6 million ongoing renovation of the Lamar Alexander Building and the UTHSC library; completion of the approximately $60 million pharmacy building; construction of the $24.1 million Multi-Disciplinary Simulation Building, slated to begin soon, and the $15 million construction of the Plough Center for Sterile Drug Delivery Systems, scheduled to start early next year.

The third phase of the plan will include a $180 million Women’s and Infants’ Pavilion planned in conjunction with Regional One Health.
This is one of the new buildings being planned for the campus over the next several years (with LeBonheur Children's Hospital in the background):

http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t...ps04f32dc4.jpg

arkitekte Nov 18, 2014 11:33 PM

^Not bad at all. Anyone have any recent photos of the units in South Main or the UofM area?

arkitekte Nov 18, 2014 11:59 PM

Frontier Airlines will cut D/FW Airport to Memphis route in January
http://www.bizjournals.com/dallas/ne...o-memphis.html

Quote:

Frontier Airlines will stop flying from Dallas/Fort Worth International Airport to Memphis International Airport on Jan. 7.

The route was not meeting performance expectations, Todd Lehmacher, director of corporate communications, said.

This is not tied to Frontier's larger reductions announced Monday at Denver International Airport, where the airline will lay off employees and cut routes. Denver-based Frontier says the landing fees and other taxes at DIA have made it unprofitable to operate there.
Direct flights are offered from D/FW Airport to Memphis via American Airlines (Nasdaq: AAL), based in Fort Worth, and Delta Air Lines (DAL), based in Atlanta.
Interesting. I wonder if Southwest will try that route out now. It might not be an extremely popular route, but some people tend to want to go the legacy route rather than the ultra low cost route depending on how and why they're traveling. American's fares were probably pretty hard to compete with.

Wayward Memphian Nov 19, 2014 12:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by arkitekte (Post 6812692)
Frontier Airlines will cut D/FW Airport to Memphis route in January
http://www.bizjournals.com/dallas/ne...o-memphis.html

Interesting. I wonder if Southwest will try that route out now. It might not be an extremely popular route, but some people tend to want to go the legacy route rather than the ultra low cost route depending on how and why they're traveling. American's fares were probably pretty hard to compete with.

Sad to hear. Memphis needs an Allegiant to service touristy destinations. They have really hit the Cincy market can't figure why not Memphis. Allegiant also is moving into New Orleans.

Chris Warren Nov 19, 2014 2:14 AM

I really wish they would be more creative with flights and give us destinations we don't already have for example ''San Francisco'' or ''Boston'' or ''Seattle'' or maybe somehow ''Toronto''

Wayward Memphian Nov 19, 2014 2:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Warren (Post 6812868)
I really wish they would be more creative with flights and give us destinations we don't already have for example ''San Francisco'' or ''Boston'' or ''Seattle'' or maybe somehow ''Toronto''

How bout Ft. Lauderdale, it's a future Southwest international hub. But yeah, if Memphis is going to be focused on O&D traffic how bout some compelling places to go that's not serviced non stop. Will it be daily, nope, some maybe seasonal, but they'd be something. Memphis seems like a bit of a no brainer for Allegiant, as it's basically a travel agency too and it's actually a two way sell not just a no where to somewhere turn. Even with their nickle and diming, I can fly to Orlando with two kids and a wire in tow for under 800 from XNA.

Frontier is just shaking down Denver.

entcolin Nov 20, 2014 3:04 PM

From the Binghampton Development Corporation Facebook page. Has anyone heard what's going to go on this corner? The daily traffic count on that corner is outrageous, and with the new cycle path going in soon, this is a highly visible piece of property.

Quote:

Another Binghampton eyesore will soon be demolished! The apartments at the northeast corner of Tillman and Sam Cooper are empty and the building will be torn down soon to pave the way for a commercial development at the site. The BDC acquired the building last summer and provided assistance to residents as they transitioned to other living arrangements in and out of the community. The revitalization of Binghampton continues!