SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   City Compilations (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=87)
-   -   MEMPHIS | Development News (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=177212)

arkitekte Jan 10, 2014 8:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DoomJ (Post 6401711)
Man, I'm too lazy to look back in time, haha, but interesting. South Junction is the Northwest and Southeast corners of Florida and Carolina, yes? So this project is south of the tracks and north of the other complex that was recently built at Florida and Crump- do I have this right? I should get down there and check it out sometime.

Yeah, that's it. I'll try to get down there and take some update photos this afternoon or tomorrow. I mainly wish there was a little more retail and dining space there to activate the streets a little more, but that will eventually come when residents begin to move in.

arkitekte Jan 10, 2014 8:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Huntsvillenative (Post 6401893)
Memphis really needs to start taking advantage of its musical heritage. They need to expand Beale down to the new Beale Street Landing. Here's how I would like to see Beale Street and downtown Memphis redeveloped.

On the west end of Beale a Hard Rock Hotel would be a great new and needed addition to downtown. Why Memphis keeps getting overlooked by HRH company is beyond me with all the Elvis fans and music fans in general who go to Memphis every year. It would be a win-win for both parties. There's already the Hard Rock Cafe on Beale. I would like to see a HRH built where the originally proposed Beale One was to be with a breathtaking view of the river and skyline.

On the east end of Beale, at the property of the old Plush club should be the site for the future Memphis Music Hall Of Fame Museum. Make it a mini-Rock & Roll HOF Museum style attraction with an eye catching architectural design. It would serve as a gateway into downtown and the Beale Street entertainment district. You could also relocate the Memphis Rock 7 Soul Museum to the new Memphis Music HOF Museum. It would increase tourist and visitors yearly by being ON Beale instead of at the Forum.

South of the FedExForum could be the site for the new convention center.

The Mud Island River Park could be redeveloped into a mega tourist attraction tied into the soon-to-open Bass Pro themed attraction at the pyramid. I envision restaurants, retail shops, a carousel and a large observation wheel lit up at night. It would give Memphis a whole new identity when arriving over the Miss River at night time. You would be able to see it from West Memphis. There's nothing for kids to do in Memphis as it is. This would give them all something to do and keep them out of trouble.

They could also turn the 6,000-seat outdoor amphitheater into a state-of-the-art enclosed performing theater for major music acts. The Cannon Center is too small at only 2,100 seats and is built more fitting for plays and operas than pop, rock R&B or country style shows. Memphis is missing out on a lot of revenue not having a theater of this type now. They could build a pedestrian bridge over the canal area leading over to the island and the park.

Some of that could happen if there was a legit need for added "extra people". A lot of times various companies won't enter into a market unless the metro is a certain size or there's a certain amount of hotel room nights that are sold. The main problem that the city has right now is finding a reason for added developments as well as something to bring more visitors to Memphis, and I think that a new convention center is the main way and probably the only way to do that.

With the construction of a new convention center, Memphis can attract new and possibly larger conventions as well as new development. People in Memphis seem to want to knock on Nashville, but they provide a perfect example of how a new convention center can do wonders for development in the core.

kingchef Jan 10, 2014 11:17 PM

i have to scratch my head (and other parts, if i were to be crude), w/ this almost daily discussion of the mud island complex, the harbor, how to get from one side to the other, the amphitheater and the use, along w/ other issues.
why is it that a major city the size of memphis cannot seem to get a consensus on the use of mud island and the amphitheater. to me, it would work out fine if those in charge of booking would simply offer the venue for concerts to an audience of people who wish to be entertained. the event could be booked for one night, 2 nights, or how ever long tickets are sold. the same is true for the mud island attraction. if they want it to be opened for only half the year, so be it; however, a smart pr person could search out the appropriate acts for the entire year. these people are here---even living in the city. there may not be a need to spend money for a national search, but there may be a need to do so. these are challenges that should be addressed, solved, and the result should be a success. i just don't understand why these things are not solved, so the city could reap the benefits from the success of the problems.

i look at so many cities and their riverfronts, and they have interesting and beautiful lighting, buildings, water-features, and other things. they have skyscrapers, suspended decks, nice boat docks that are befitting of all the money spent on the riverfront, thus far. yet, cobblestones are still a 7 year hot topic. personally, aluminum and creosote materials "doth not a nice boat ramp and marina make!" this is something that really shows up. of course, it is always nice and proper to wear good matching socks, a nice undershirt, and clean underwear, preferably w/out holes, as you finish up putting on your armani, but if you have to make a choice regarding the suit and a sock that has a small hole, choose the suit, and pick the clean uderwear---or just don't wear any, although my brother and i made our mother so mad, when we attended a relative's funeral in our suits, and our father ended up telling mother that the two eldest boys failed to wear underwear. the point, the marinas and docks are big issues, seen by all, and they need to be dealt w/ accordingly.

ILoveMemphis Jan 11, 2014 1:43 AM

UPDATE ON TENNESEE BREWERY

I now have personal contact information of the owner and in talks with them about the ideas we have for the museum and wanting to save the building. Also, we have an attorney I am meeting with next week or the week after that is going to assist with the 501 C3 Status for free...he is very much behind this project. We also have a lot of major contracting companies in the city that said they want to be part of this as well. I have contacted the City Museum in St. Louis to speak with their directors to gather information about how they came about their funds/how they run it/keep it going, etc.

Guys, I think we can pull this off, but we will need SUPPORT and DEDICATION. I also am working with other local organizations that are behind the cause. We are just now lighting the fuse.... but soon, the rocket will take off. This weekend I will be visiting the Brewery to gather photos. Next weekend, we are goint to St. Louis to gather photos and ideas to put sketches together of some concepts for the building. Once we have 501 C3, we will present sketches, mission statement, and plans for fund raising to local goverment, contracting companies, and potentional donors.

I'll keep you updated!

-Jerred Price

Trevor Birchett Jan 11, 2014 4:05 AM

THANK YOU!!!! Keep it up and best of luck! Anything we can do to help, let us know!

nashvol85 Jan 11, 2014 7:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ILoveMemphis (Post 6402425)
UPDATE ON TENNESEE BREWERY

I now have personal contact information of the owner and in talks with them about the ideas we have for the museum and wanting to save the building. Also, we have an attorney I am meeting with next week or the week after that is going to assist with the 501 C3 Status for free...he is very much behind this project. We also have a lot of major contracting companies in the city that said they want to be part of this as well. I have contacted the City Museum in St. Louis to speak with their directors to gather information about how they came about their funds/how they run it/keep it going, etc.

Guys, I think we can pull this off, but we will need SUPPORT and DEDICATION. I also am working with other local organizations that are behind the cause. We are just now lighting the fuse.... but soon, the rocket will take off. This weekend I will be visiting the Brewery to gather photos. Next weekend, we are goint to St. Louis to gather photos and ideas to put sketches together of some concepts for the building. Once we have 501 C3, we will present sketches, mission statement, and plans for fund raising to local goverment, contracting companies, and potentional donors.

I'll keep you updated!

-Jerred Price

That's great!

You are right that you need support and dedication...but it sounds like you are off to a good start. It is a fantastic building and very much worthy of preservation. Make sure you keep the media on top of it, too. The more people that know about it (and it's potential doom), the more support you will gather.

Keep fighting the good fight. I hope you all are successful.:tup:

Rail>Auto Jan 11, 2014 7:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trevor birchett (Post 6402563)
thank you!!!! Keep it up and best of luck! Anything we can do to help, let us know!

+1

Trevor Birchett Jan 11, 2014 9:54 PM

Not sure if anyone had posted this or not, but as I was Downtown today, I noticed that almost of the parking lots and garages that were operated by the Downtown Parking Authority are now operated by Parkway Corp. There's some pretty spiffy new signage that has gone up on the garages and in the lots...the lots have all gotten new pay stations as well.

http://www.parkwaycorp.com/index.php?id=170

Trevor Birchett Jan 12, 2014 8:53 PM

Sounds like some interesting developments coming out of 100 N. Main today:

Behemoth building 'too big to succeed,' too important to fail
The Commercial Appeal
January 12, 2014

http://media.commercialappeal.com/me...61158_t607.JPG

Quote:

The city’s tallest building, it’s the largest Downtown office building space-wise: a utilitarian stack of concrete housing 436,280 square feet of floor area. It’s the only one of the three biggest that hasn’t seen a major capital upgrade in recent years, like a $37 million renovation of First Tennessee Bank headquarters at 165 Madison and a $25 million renovation of One Commerce Square at 40 S. Main.
Quote:

“It’s certainly a difficult project, but so is Sears Crosstown, so is the Hotel Chisca,” said Paul Morris, president of the Downtown Memphis Commission. “Nobody does it till somebody does it, so I’m certainly hopeful.”

The project cleared a significant hurdle late last year when the National Park Service issued a preliminary finding that it’s eligible for the National Register of Historic Places.
Quote:

“We don’t need another Sterick Building,” Chandler said. “This is a big piece of Downtown. It’s important to see something happen.”

arkitekte Jan 13, 2014 5:23 PM

Aerial Innovations update of the Hattiloo at Overton Square.
From archimania's Facebook page.

https://scontent-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hpho...69442052_n.jpg

Johnny Ryall Jan 15, 2014 3:25 PM

Main Street to Main Street Multi-Modal Connector Project
main2main.com

Quote:

UPTOWN: North Main, Henry Avenue to Keel Avenue, Starts January 15
Work on this segment includes sidewalk demolition, excavation and installation, curb cuts, ramps and signage.
http://main2main.com/construction-updates

main2main.com
http://media.virbcdn.com/cdn_images/...henry-keel.jpg

Trevor Birchett Jan 15, 2014 9:28 PM

More good changes for Beale...

Memphis official confirms Hard Rock Cafe is moving its location
WMC-TV
January 15, 2014

Quote:

An official inside Memphis Mayor A C Wharton's office confirms the Hard Rock Cafe, now located on Beale and Rufus Thomas Boulevard, is moving two blocks north to Beale and Second Streets.

The mayor would not outright confirm that the international restaurant that boasts live music, music memorabilia, and a casual dining experience plans to move into the Lansky building at 126 Beale Street.

Wayward Memphian Jan 16, 2014 5:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trevor Birchett (Post 6408087)

I see the historical tie to Elvis and the Lansky's and this seems like a better fit. I wonder if the surface parking area will be used for an addition considering the manifest destiny of Beale expanding west.

Huntsvillenative Jan 16, 2014 5:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wayward Memphian (Post 6408829)
I see the historical tie to Elvis and the Lansky's and this seems like a better fit. I wonder if the surface parking area will be used for an addition considering the manifest destiny of Beale expanding west.

This move is interesting. For one thing, the location is much closer to the once proposed Beale One tower that is now canceled. Could that be the future site of a much needed Hard Rock Hotel? Or, for more room, that large open space parking area on S. Main and Beale St. It's practically the same size of lot as the Hard Rock Hotel in San Diego sits on in downtown. And it would be a stone throw away from the new location of the Hard Rock Cafe.

arkitekte Jan 16, 2014 11:34 PM

Demolition begins on Walter Simmons housing project
http://www.bizjournals.com/memphis/b...s-Memphis.html

Quote:

The City of Memphis has begun the demolition of one of the last Memphis housing projects, Walter J. Simmons, this week.
The southeast Memphis housing project at Knight Arnold and Lamar Avenue has been vacant since 2002. The project encompasses 51 buildings across 34 acres.
Once the site is redeveloped, the city will relocate some offices there, likely the offices of Public Works and General Services.
Hopefully there will also be the creation of various jobs along with the redevelopment. In any case, this is a win.

arkitekte Jan 16, 2014 11:39 PM

Morris: High Bids Lead to Harahan Redesign
http://www.memphisdailynews.com/news...ahan-redesign/

Quote:

Plans for the pedestrian and bicycle boardwalk on the north side of the Frisco Bridge are being redesigned after the first bids on the boardwalk came in too high.

But Downtown Memphis Commission President Paul Morris said talks are underway with Union Pacific railroad executives about a compromise as backers of the part of the larger “Main to Main” project seek to raise more private funding.

Quote:

Morris said private contributors continue to be courted for that part of the project and he is “optimistic” it will be fully funded with the bridge project going back out to bid in March.

“We will not move forward with that aspect of the project or any aspect of the project unless it’s fully funded,” he said. “If we don’t raise enough money to do the whole project we won’t just start the project and then use the fact that we’ve started the project as a way to go and recruit more money.”
That's good, this doesn't need to be half-assed.

The article is a good read and has some other information about the health of Beale. Y'all should read it.

Chris Warren Jan 18, 2014 1:47 AM

Good News it's a Indoor Soccer Complex planned for Shelby County

http://www.bizjournals.com/memphis/n...anned-for.html

http://bizj.us/u4z07/i/1
By: Wesscorp

Quote:

BankTennessee is backing a new indoor soccer complex planned for Shelby County.

Lakeland-based developer Wes Misenhelter has purchased 5.6 acres at 237 Woodlake Drive, located east of Grays Creek on Walnut Grove Road, to build the Wesscorp Sports & Office Property.

The $6 million development will consist of a 50,000-square-foot, climate-controlled indoor sports facility with a turf soccer field and three separate areas for all manner of sports programs. In addition, the site has two out parcels dedicated for office/medical development.

Rose Ann Hogue, president of Wesscorp LLC, will manage the development and expects the sports facility to be fully operational by July 2014.

“The quality of the climate-controlled facility and the location adjacent to Houston Levee should create high demand from all sports programs,” she said
By Rob Robertson of the Biz Journals

kingchef Jan 18, 2014 7:18 AM

is the statement about the one beale project confirmed by carlisle? is so, this is another big blow to the various projects that come and go coming to no fruition. the same is true about the peabody suites, the intentions concerning the addition to the former marriott at the convention center, the sign at auction and 2nd, across from the pyramid does not say what the location will become; however, i noticed some city plans which had it pegged as a parking garage. is there a decision on the occupancy of the hill building? any information current on the proposed location of the new fbi building? robert lipscomb comes out about twice a year, makes a statement or to, and returns to wherever he shelters. as usual, the statements are always limited, secret, he is not allowed to say more, if anything, etc. what about the indigo? the hilton? i think the failure of government agencies to give information on what is happening in the city is one of the reason there is so much indifference to what the city does. i hate to sound so negative, but i could make a good case, as many could, to support the gist of this article. now, it sounds as if it is going to be a let down on the main to broad.

arkitekte Jan 18, 2014 7:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kingchef (Post 6411950)
is the statement about the one beale project confirmed by carlisle?

I haven't heard them say that the project is cancelled, but other than the website coming back online months back, there hasn't been any mention of any progress toward its development. I would assume that its cancelled.

Is there a need for higher end apartments downtown? Yes. Is there a need for high end condos downtown? Probably not. That's mainly why this project is having issues. I thought that the hotel portion could be developed, but I guess there's not that much of a demand for hotel rooms downtown, and I doubt that Carlisle would want to only develop a hotel at that site without the ability to develop condos and apartments in the same tower.

Johnny Ryall Jan 18, 2014 6:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by arkitekte (Post 6411955)
I thought that the hotel portion could be developed, but I guess there's not that much of a demand for hotel rooms downtown, and I doubt that Carlisle would want to only develop a hotel at that site without the ability to develop condos and apartments in the same tower.

It seems other developers would have to consider publicly known projects waiting in the wings. With the sale of the Peabody Orlando resort & convention center (around half-billion dollars?), it seems like Belz Enterprises has the capital to move on Peabody Suites which they last budgeted at $75 million. Of course it'll be majority hotel rooms, but I'm interested to see what they do with aspects like ground level retail, meeting space, exterior overhaul (hotel room windows), maybe add some additional floors, etc. Belz has the opportunity to reactivate that half block in a big way.

All that leads me to think if Belz can build a world-class resort & CONVENTION CENTER in Orlando, why don't they make good on the city's desire to have a new convention center coupled with a Peabody Suites tower? The city could still move forward with exterior & interior upgrades to the Cook CC. I think that would be a good strategy to grow convention business downtown. Somebody at Belz Enterprises give me a call and lets talk about it. :cool: