SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Canada (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Canadian Airport Thread (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=153826)

Johnny Aussie Dec 3, 2016 5:24 PM

Full list for YVR:

Asia: Air China, ANA, Beijing Capital, Cathay Pacific, China Airlines, China Eastern, China Southern, EVA, HK Airlines, JAL, Korean, PAL, Sichuan, Xiamen

Europe: Air France, British, Condor, Edelweiss, Icelandair, KLM, Lufthansa

Oceania: Air NZ, Qantas

ACT7 Dec 4, 2016 2:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnny Aussie (Post 7640932)
Full list for YVR:

Asia: Air China, ANA, Beijing Capital, Cathay Pacific, China Airlines, China Eastern, China Southern, EVA, HK Airlines, JAL, Korean, PAL, Sichuan, Xiamen

Europe: Air France, British, Condor, Edelweiss, Icelandair, KLM, Lufthansa

Oceania: Air NZ, Qantas

Right...missed Condor, Icelandair, and Edelweiss

Alexcaban Dec 5, 2016 5:51 AM

http://www.routesonline.com/news/38/...h-in-may-2017/

Quote:

Skyteam member Air France last Friday (02DEC16) opened reservation for planned Boeing 787-9 service on Paris CDG – Montreal route, scheduled to commence on 01MAY17. The airline previously announced this new Dreamliner route in late-November 2016.

The 787-9 will operate 1 of 3 daily flights to Montreal, replacing 777-200ER/-300ER.

AF345 YUL1655 – 0555+1CDG 789 D
AF347 YUL1920 – 0805+1CDG 77W x246
AF347 YUL1920 – 0805+1CDG 772 246
AF349 YUL2205 – 1055+1CDG 77W D

G.S MTL Dec 5, 2016 6:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alexcaban (Post 7641909)

Nice !

tayser Dec 6, 2016 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thenoflyzone (Post 7634394)

Canadians hold their own when it comes to international travel, which is the metric you should use to compare Canada to the likes of the U.S and Australia. And based on that metric, we are doing fine, thank you very much.

Take away the domestic passenger numbers of Boston and Melbourne and you'll see what I'm talking about.

Montreal 2015 (link)

Domestic: 5.874 million.
"International": 5.933 million.
"Transborder": 3.709 million.
("Real" international: 9.642 million).

Melbourne 2015 (link)

Domestic: 24.217 million
International: 8.772 million.

Toronto & Montreal: 508km (as the crow flies), 544km / 5h19m (google maps/directions). Reasonable train travel time of circa 5 hours.
Melbourne & Sydney: 706km (as the crow flies), 878km / 9h 29m (google maps/directions). Abysmal train travel time of 11h and 22m.

Toronto & Montreal have relatively few physical obstacles between them thus land routes are fairly direct & quick (regardless of the lack of high speed rail). I'm betting Toronto & Montreal were linked with the high-quality limited-access road between the two decades before Melbourne & Sydney were (it was only a few years ago that it became possible to drive from near the centres of each city and not meet a single traffic light in between).

Melbourne & Sydney have the great dividing range (including the highest part) between them and therefore land routes avoid the range and travel inland (shortest route "Hume Hwy" - figures above) or around the coast (longest "Princes Hwy" ~1038km / 12h39m).

Here's the annual report for 2015 from BITRE on domestic aviation in AU and a breakdown of city-pair traffic: http://bitre.gov.au/publications/ong...ivity_2015.pdf Is there an equivalent for Canada somewhere readily readable? It'd be interesting to compare Montreal & Toronto to Vancouver versus Melbourne & Sydney to Perth.

Acajack Dec 6, 2016 3:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tayser (Post 7643132)
Montreal 2015 (link)

Domestic: 5.874 million.
"International": 5.933 million.
"Transborder": 3.709 million.
("Real" international: 9.642 million).

Melbourne 2015 (link)

Domestic: 24.217 million
International: 8.772 million.

Toronto & Montreal: 508km (as the crow flies), 544km / 5h19m (google maps/directions). Reasonable train travel time of circa 5 hours.
Melbourne & Sydney: 706km (as the crow flies), 878km / 9h 29m (google maps/directions). Abysmal train travel time of 11h and 22m.

I think this analysis is pretty good.

I live in the middle of the Montreal-Toronto corridor and air passengers between the two cities tend to be overwhelmingly business travellers. People visiting friends or family, students, people going to weddings, and leisure travellers don't tend to fly between Toronto and Montreal.

When you start pushing 1000 km or 10 hours for a drive (especially if the road links are not optimal), then that's when more of your average people travelling for personal reasons start taking the plane.

ACT7 Dec 6, 2016 6:35 PM

Tweet put out by airlineroute.net that TAP is starting YYZ, June 10, 2017, 5x weekly on a 330.

YUL likely to follow with seasonal...

G.S MTL Dec 6, 2016 6:41 PM

:frog:
Quote:

Originally Posted by ACT7 (Post 7643467)
Tweet put out by airlineroute.net that TAP is starting YYZ, June 10, 2017, 5x weekly on a 330.

YUL likely to follow with seasonal...

Interesting ...Rouge, Transat, air Azores (Sata) Now TAP... quite a lot of airlines serving Portugal from YYZ ...none of them are daily or I think rouge is? Damn .....hope TAP comes to YUL

flipv Dec 6, 2016 6:42 PM

Woohoo so that's confirmed. Timetables loaded onto reservation systems as per airliners.net

When I first came to Canada on vacation (that would've been summer 1994) I remember seeing a TAP L1011 and an Iberia DC10. That was after arriving on a Swissair MD11 Those were the golden days of flags at YYZ - it's only going to get better from here!

Quote:

Lisbon – Toronto eff 10JUN17 5 weekly A330-200. Service last offered in October 1994
TP259 LIS1905 – 2220YYZ 332 x24
TP258 YYZ0010 – 1215LIS 332 x35

Service operates 3 weekly from 04OCT17 (Day 357), for winter season
Tomorrow, CZ starts their YYZ route. Can't wait to see that colourful tail at T3.

flipv Dec 6, 2016 6:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by G.S MTL (Post 7643477)
:frog:

Interesting ...Rouge, Transat, air Azores (Sata) Now TAP... quite a lot of airlines serving Portugal from YYZ ...none of them are daily or I think rouge is? Damn .....hope TAP comes to YUL

Rouge is going daily, but seasonal.

Air Transat is year round, but I believe 1pw.

SATA is year round, but it's 1pw via Ponta Delgada.

It'll be a bloodbath in the summer.

jmt18325 Dec 6, 2016 7:24 PM

How long is the summer season for travel? I need to go somewhere in early fall, lol.

flipv Dec 6, 2016 11:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmt18325 (Post 7643550)
How long is the summer season for travel? I need to go somewhere in early fall, lol.

End of October IIRC.

Anyone with a bit of know how on YYZ please chime in. The complaints about lack of gate space and customs capacity at Pearson have really hit a crescendo lately. Planes waiting up to 30 mins on the Tarmac for a gate, planes unable to disembark passengers due to the customs hall being at capacity... these things are terribly embarrassing for an airport vying to be a mega hub. Why not open the infield terminal? Renovate it and send some non-AC flights over. Beats sitting on the Tarmac. Customs is a federal problem so be it.

casper Dec 7, 2016 12:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flipv (Post 7643478)
Woohoo so that's confirmed. Timetables loaded onto reservation systems as per airliners.net

When I first came to Canada on vacation (that would've been summer 1994) I remember seeing a TAP L1011 and an Iberia DC10. That was after arriving on a Swissair MD11 Those were the golden days of flags at YYZ - it's only going to get better from here!

Tomorrow, CZ starts their YYZ route. Can't wait to see that colourful tail at T3.

Around that time I traveled on the TAP L1011 from Toronto to Lisbon. Only a few days per week. The flight was had a stop in Maribel both going and coming back. I remember back then, typical Portuguese hospitality, in economy when they handed out the meal tray, the default was to just put two of those little bottles of wine on every tray. Port afterwards.

Long before TAP operated the route it was an old Canadian Pacific Airlines route. Toronto-Maribel-Lisbon and return.

casper Dec 7, 2016 12:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flipv (Post 7643839)
End of October IIRC.

Anyone with a bit of know how on YYZ please chime in. The complaints about lack of gate space and customs capacity at Pearson have really hit a crescendo lately. Planes waiting up to 30 mins on the Tarmac for a gate, planes unable to disembark passengers due to the customs hall being at capacity... these things are terribly embarrassing for an airport vying to be a mega hub. Why not open the infield terminal? Renovate it and send some non-AC flights over. Beats sitting on the Tarmac. Customs is a federal problem so be it.

The in-field terminal would need to be connected by shuttle bus from either Terminal 1 or Terminal 3. (Not certain how well it would work with shuttles from both). They need to decided who is running out of space more quickly, Air Canada/Star or everyone else.

I agree it needs to be addressed.

DrNest Dec 7, 2016 2:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flipv (Post 7643839)

I can confirm that often aircraft are sat on some taxiway waiting for a gate to open. Usually it's around 10minutes or so, but 30mins is not rare either. One of the biggest problem with Pearson is the location of the terminals and the access in/out for aircraft. A toaster rack layout like at Atlanta for example is much more efficient, but sadly it would never get built that way here in Pearson.

I've heard various rumours as to why the Infield terminal isn't utilised more, but they are just rumours. They boil done to money and lack of interest from airlines to use it. Whether that's true officially, I do not know. From an aircraft perspective it would make sense to use it, although it's not as straightforward as it is getting passengers there.

Alexcaban Dec 7, 2016 4:42 PM

Air Canada Spices up its U.S. Schedule with Six New Transborder Routes for 2017

http://aircanada.mediaroom.com/index.php?s=43&item=1086

jmt18325 Dec 7, 2016 5:01 PM

Air Canada is growing at an incredible rate.

DrNest Dec 7, 2016 5:39 PM

Looks like Canada Jetlines are one step closer to becoming operational. Still a long way to go before we see them flying, but this is a step in the right direction.

Canada Jetlines Approval For Foreign Ownership Exemption

kwoldtimer Dec 7, 2016 6:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrNest (Post 7644514)
Looks like Canada Jetlines are one step closer to becoming operational. Still a long way to go before we see them flying, but this is a step in the right direction.

Canada Jetlines Approval For Foreign Ownership Exemption

One waits to see whether they choose YKF or YHM for their planned Southern Ontario hub. I've also heard YXU mentioned, but that seems less likely to me.

LeftCoaster Dec 7, 2016 7:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alexcaban (Post 7644435)
Air Canada Spices up its U.S. Schedule with Six New Transborder Routes for 2017

http://aircanada.mediaroom.com/index.php?s=43&item=1086

Guess this links up with the 5 CRJ900s AC is taking delivery of in 2017.

AC playing it pretty safe out of YVR and YUL taking existing or strong routes, but really making a splash at YYZ with some 'unique' choices.

The really interesting routes will be once they start taking CS300s. Should open up some long/thin continental routes, hopefully including more central american flying.

Quote:

Originally Posted by kwoldtimer (Post 7644580)
One waits to see whether they choose YKF or YHM for their planned Southern Ontario hub. I've also heard YXU mentioned, but that seems less likely to me.

I always thought YHM was their plan, YKF would be an interesting choice.