SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   St. John's (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=700)
-   -   [St. John's] Retail Thread (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=198935)

statbass Nov 22, 2012 5:28 PM

Mexicali Rosa’s closes its doors again

Actually, I thought I'd post on this thread as well seeing it's retail related.

The Telegram, Nov 22, 2012

Quote:

About a dozen Mexicali Rosa’s employees are out of work after the restaurant closed its doors Wednesday.
Franchise owner Matthew You-den of Moncton, N.B., — who reopened the George Street restaurant late last year, after taking over the shuttered location from previous management — said the location never got the business it needed in the downtown to stay open.
“We’re not quite sure (why),” said Youden. “We reopened the store and cleaned it up, and it just didn’t take with the market, and that’s pretty much the gist of it.”
Between 12 and 15 people work at the location. Youden said staff were notified Wednesday by the general manager. Asked if employees would be given severance or help to find new employment, Youden said they’re still working that out.
“It’s still very early, to be honest with you. And we want to make sure, we obviously would love to see all of our staff in new jobs and taken care of,” said Youden. “We very much want to do our best to help them out, but obviously for me to comment on that, I’m not able to.”
Youden said it’s a “difficult day” for the restaurant.
“It’s a tough thing to have to do, but unfortunately sometimes there’s just no other choice,” he said.
http://www.thetelegram.com/Business/...-doors-again/1

rwspencer38 Nov 22, 2012 5:44 PM

Don't think it will sit empty for too long, prime spot for a lot of businesses.

statbass Nov 22, 2012 5:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rwspencer38 (Post 5910655)
Don't think it will sit empty for too long, prime spot for a lot of businesses.

It is a prime spot... just not for a restaurant. It's too out of the way on George St. and it's adjacent to two strips clubs. Probably not the best place for a family-style restaurant. May be another bar/eatery would do fine there? I guess we'll see....

statbass Nov 29, 2012 5:38 PM

Not sure if this is the right thread to post on, might as well just to give it a little bump.

Does anyone know what's going on in the Kelsey/Goldstone area next to the Kent Contractor's store? An entire area has been cleared off there. I suspect more Class B office space, but it could be some retail.

Arrakis Dec 2, 2012 9:50 PM

I think Dollarama is going to part of this construction in the Harvey Power Centre behind Dominion on Stavanger. The building is much larger though than your typical Dollarama so I would say there will be more than one store in here when finished.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.n...60251453_n.jpg

Arrakis Dec 2, 2012 9:54 PM

I think this new store is going to be Golf Town or something like that. Right behind Dominion on White Rose Drive in the Harvey Power Centre.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.n...30019320_n.jpg

Arrakis Dec 2, 2012 10:49 PM

Here is what I think is Harvey's Restaurant on Hebron Drive and Torbay Road in the new Field Power Centre near where the new Empire Cinemas are going. If anyone can confirm this, please do.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.n...33329974_n.jpg

statbass Dec 3, 2012 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arrakis (Post 5922629)
I think Dollarama is going to part of this construction in the Harvey Power Centre behind Dominion on Stavanger. The building is much larger though than your typical Dollarama so I would say there will be more than one store in here when finished.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.n...60251453_n.jpg

According to the lease plan a Bulk Barn will be a part of this building as well.

Arrakis Dec 3, 2012 2:43 PM

Yes. I think you are correct. I know there is a pdf of the partial list of new stores somewhere on this blog but I was too lazy to search for it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by statbass (Post 5923218)
According to the lease plan a Bulk Barn will be a part of this building as well.

Arrakis Dec 3, 2012 3:11 PM

Anyone know what the plans are for the old Brass Rack pool hall on Duckworth Street? I stumbled across this drawing of a proposed design for it but it didn't say what the type of business it was going to be. I assume by the look of it that it will be a bar or restaurant of some sort. They have applied to install garage door windows (much like what's on The Grapevine) so most likely this will be a bar of some sort. Good idea I suppose with the Marriott expansion going up across the street.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.n...53341110_n.jpg

jeddy1989 Dec 4, 2012 2:14 AM

ok so they were talking about a store called JYSK in the Moncton thread.. Halifax has one and it is kind of like an IKEA from what I gather.. and on their website they talk a lot about an aggressive expansion plan..

Quote:

About JYSK

JYSK specializes in all articles for the bedroom, bathroom, living room and patio.

JYSK has stores in 34 countries with 2,000 stores worldwide and currently 52 stores across Canada. We are looking to open approximately 10 new stores in Canada per year.
Quote:

JYSK Vision

JYSK is looking to expand near you. Our goal is to have at least one JYSK store within 30 minutes of 90% of Canadians.

JYSK’s prototypical store is 18,000 to 25,000 Sq Ft.

JYSK scouts out areas with a minimum population of 25,000 people and a minimum growth rate of 3% as per Stats Canada.

JYSK stores open in shopping centers which hold at least 3 major retail anchors with a minimum of 15,000 Sq. Ft. each.
http://www.jysk.ca/expansion

so I emailed them to ask if they are going to open up in St. John's

and this is what they said: (Quick response and late at night :S)

Quote:

Hello [Jeddy],

Thank you for taking the time to submit an inquiry. St. John’s NL has a very good market. We are working towards opening a store in St. John’s, though it will not be for 2013.
In the meantime, all of our stock is available online.

Regards,
this gives me big hope that we will see a large expansion in selection in coming years (especially with Stavager growing like crazy and the unimaginable Glencrest.. with mount pearl right next to it so it will have to be new stores)

makes me happy :) and excited :)

Townie709 Dec 4, 2012 3:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeddy1989 (Post 5924078)
ok so they were talking about a store called JYSK in the Moncton thread.. Halifax has one and it is kind of like an IKEA from what I gather.. and on their website they talk a lot about an aggressive expansion plan

this gives me big hope that we will see a large expansion in selection in coming years.
makes me happy :) and excited :)

Yeah, sounds like a great store and a good candidate for stevanger, glencrest, or both! I've never heard of the store, but it seems to be successful in other places so no reason it wouldn't thrive here!

Ayreonaut Dec 4, 2012 4:10 AM

I've only been to a Jysk once. It's really not my thing, but of course, not everything can be.

SpongeG Dec 4, 2012 7:08 AM

jysk is such a junky store, you're really not missing much

rwspencer38 Dec 4, 2012 1:05 PM

That could be a nice little spot if its done correctly! Its too bad that location is so far from mile one because it could be a great before/after location for events at the stadium. In other cities that have bigger sports events, there are typically one or two locations near the stadiums that offer a fantastic atmosphere with great prices on food/drink (thats a little more family friendly then say George Street). I always thought about opening something like that and perhaps I will one day.

** In response to the Brass Rack lot **

jeddy1989 Dec 5, 2012 11:13 PM

Bentley Chain Taken Over

Quote:

A Canadian retailer that started with a single store in St. John's has been taken over. Novacap of Montreal is buying Bentley leather goods which has over 400 retail outlets across the country. Bentley started with a single store in the Avalon Mall back in 1987, and has become one of the country's top retailers of handbags, wallets and luggage. The founder of Bentley is retiring after 25 years, and is being replaced by the man who founded Winners, David Margolis.
http://www.vocm.com/newsarticle.asp?...28910&latest=1

didnt know it was a NL company ... was ..

Townie709 Dec 5, 2012 11:32 PM

I never knew it was based and founded here! It's a shame to see it bought up (especially by quebec :P )

Ayreonaut Dec 6, 2012 2:07 AM

Wow, I didn't know it was based here either. In fact, when my roommate mentioned yesterday that she needed a suitcase, I suggested that she try the store at the mall saying "in Calgary's malls there are stores called Bentley, but I think the one here is different." :haha:

Horsell Dec 7, 2012 2:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by statbass (Post 5901369)
Darn... I was kinda looking forward to seeing a Kelsey's coming to town. Oh well, maybe someday. :cheers:

Someday may be soon. The building going up on Aberdeen Ave (?) on the Walmart lot looks a lot like a Kelsey's, according to pictures on their website.

statbass Dec 7, 2012 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Horsell (Post 5928493)
Someday may be soon. The building going up on Aberdeen Ave (?) on the Walmart lot looks a lot like a Kelsey's, according to pictures on their website.

I think it's been confirmed that a TD bank will be going in that location (CIBC is going in old Penney Pre-owned spot).

Arrakis Dec 7, 2012 5:40 PM

I emailed Kelsey's recently when they had Newfoundland listed on their website under their locations menu. But they told me that was a mistake and it was removed soon after. Though, I did see an ad in the Telegram this past year for Kelsey's and Milestone's looking for possible franchise interest.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Horsell (Post 5928493)

Trevor3 Dec 7, 2012 8:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arrakis (Post 5929222)
I emailed Kelsey's recently when they had Newfoundland listed on their website under their locations menu. But they told me that was a mistake and it was removed soon after. Though, I did see an ad in the Telegram this past year for Kelsey's and Milestone's looking for possible franchise interest.

Sometimes it takes quite a few tries before these chains get set-up in a new market. Boston Pizza has been trying to get into Corner Brook since at least 2007 but is nowhere nearer to opening.

If I were to guess, I'd say Kelsey's has St. John's on the radar but needs two things: 1) a prime location; and 2) somebody willing to take on the initiative of starting it up. Finding one or the other can be easy, but finding them both ready to go at the same time can be the challenge.

jeddy1989 Dec 7, 2012 8:54 PM

I just got ANOTHER email from JYSK

They have been more than willing to help lol I sent an email and got 2 back .. this one gives a bit more insight

Quote:

Hello [Jeddy],

Thank you for your inquiry. We are very much interested in the Newfoundland market and are hoping to open a store out in Saint John’s as early as 2014.

Happy Holidays,

Tish Sumsion

Assistant Expansion Coordinatior
Leasing@JYSK.ca
1615 Kebet Way
Port Coquitlam
V3C 5W9

CdnEh Dec 7, 2012 9:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeddy1989 (Post 5929511)
I just got ANOTHER email from JYSK

They have been more than willing to help lol I sent an email and got 2 back .. this one gives a bit more insight

Poor Tish Sumision must be getting really pissed off with all these inquiry's... "Moncton? Saint John? St John's?" :haha:

Perhaps we should send a fruit basket to the JYSK head office or something on behalf of the Atlantic Canada section of SSP :banana:

Arrakis Dec 7, 2012 9:54 PM

You said it Trevor. It takes a lot of business knowledge to take on a franchise like this and a lot of factors to consider. Also takes a ton of money too. But I would say we are definitely on their radar.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trevor3 (Post 5929487)
Sometimes it takes quite a few tries before these chains get set-up in a new market. Boston Pizza has been trying to get into Corner Brook since at least 2007 but is nowhere nearer to opening.

If I were to guess, I'd say Kelsey's has St. John's on the radar but needs two things: 1) a prime location; and 2) somebody willing to take on the initiative of starting it up. Finding one or the other can be easy, but finding them both ready to go at the same time can be the challenge.

statbass Dec 8, 2012 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arrakis (Post 5929590)
You said it Trevor. It takes a lot of business knowledge to take on a franchise like this and a lot of factors to consider. Also takes a ton of money too. But I would say we are definitely on their radar.

Kelsey's is a part of the Cara group of companies which own restaurants such as Swiss Chalet, Montana's, and Harvey's. We currently have two Swiss Chalet's (the old Kenmount location moving to Kelsey), two Montana's, and a Harvey's being built. So I agree, we're definitely on their radar. :tup:

Townie709 Dec 8, 2012 3:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by statbass (Post 5930197)
Kelsey's is a part of the Cara group of companies which own restaurants such as Swiss Chalet, Montana's, and Harvey's. We currently have two Swiss Chalet's (the old Kenmount location moving to Kelsey), two Montana's, and a Harvey's being built. So I agree, we're definitely on their radar. :tup:

Actually, we will soon have three Swiss Chalets. The on their building on Kelsey Drive, the Stevanger Drive one, and they are building another one somewhere in Mount Pearl.

statbass Dec 8, 2012 3:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Townie709 (Post 5930248)
Actually, we will soon have three Swiss Chalets. The on their building on Kelsey Drive, the Stevanger Drive one, and they are building another one somewhere in Mount Pearl.

Hmmm.... I did not know that, thanks!

Townie709 Dec 8, 2012 4:26 PM

What would've have been great was instead of a Swiss chalet, build a Kelsey's on Kelsey Drive. That would have been the perfect location in more ways than one :haha:

Marty_Mcfly Dec 8, 2012 5:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Townie709 (Post 5930308)
What would've have been great was instead of a Swiss chalet, build a Kelsey's on Kelsey Drive. That would have been the perfect location in more ways than one :haha:

I was also thinking this :haha:

Arrakis Dec 8, 2012 11:52 PM

Was driving by Pearlgate the other day. I think a prime spot for Swiss Chatet in Mount Pearl would be the old now vacant Rogers Video Store.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Townie709 (Post 5930248)

Townie709 Dec 9, 2012 3:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arrakis (Post 5930739)
Was driving by Pearlgate the other day. I think a prime spot for Swiss Chatet in Mount Pearl would be the old now vacant Rogers Video Store.

I was told by an employee that they bought a property and were making an extension to it, not building a brand new building (in mount pearl) I don't remember the location, so the Rogers video store is definitely a possibility

JCE Dec 10, 2012 7:13 PM

Some KFC locations in St. John's to be converted to Mary Browns as seen in the articel on the front page of today's Telegram.

Arrakis Dec 11, 2012 2:55 PM

Yeah, it seems the Elizabeth Ave/Torbay Road KFC and the Freshwater Road KFC will become Mary Browns in the near future according to the article in the Dec 10 issue of The Telegram. The remaining KFC's in St. John's and Metro will remain KFC's.

Quote:

Originally Posted by JCE (Post 5932487)
Some KFC locations in St. John's to be converted to Mary Browns as seen in the articel on the front page of today's Telegram.

SignalHillHiker Dec 11, 2012 2:57 PM

So will Mary Browns close its other Freshwater location or operate two stores a couple of blocks apart?

The existing Freshwater location would be a great place for a condo building with some height.

J_Murphy Dec 11, 2012 3:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JCE (Post 5932487)

Dammit, when will they bring a Taco Bell here. That is what they should convert some of the KFCs to!

PoscStudent Dec 11, 2012 4:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J_Murphy (Post 5933587)
Dammit, when will they bring a Taco Bell here. That is what they should convert some of the KFCs to!

We have a Taco Bell.

J_Murphy Dec 11, 2012 4:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PoscStudent (Post 5933669)
We have a Taco Bell.

If you are referring to the one that was in Empire Theatres in the mall, I heard that was closed. Correct me if I am wrong since I haven't been in there in a couple of years now. I just did a check of the avalon mall website and it wasn't listed under their directory. Even then, I think it was just like a Taco Bell Express or something like that.

jeddy1989 Dec 11, 2012 4:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J_Murphy (Post 5933678)
If you are referring to the one that was in Empire Theatres in the mall, I heard that was closed. Correct me if I am wrong since I haven't been in there in a couple of years now. I just did a check of the avalon mall website and it wasn't listed under their directory. Even then, I think it was just like a Taco Bell Express or something like that.

It's been closed for quite a few years now as well as the Pizza Hut that was there

statbass Dec 11, 2012 5:19 PM

Quote:

A vast majority of KFCs on the mainland also have a Taco-Bell attached (similar to Wendy's/Tim Horton's). I'm thinking if we're now going to have fewer KFCs in St. John's this may also reduce the chances of getting a KFC/Taco-Bell here..... remains to be seen, I guess. :shrug:

Arrakis Dec 11, 2012 5:40 PM

The only Taco Bell we had at the Empire Cinemas at Avalon Mall has been gone for some time now I think.

Quote:

Originally Posted by PoscStudent (Post 5933669)
We have a Taco Bell.

Arrakis Dec 11, 2012 5:49 PM

I really don't think that St. John's is a Taco Bell kind of town really. I mean, they had a continuous supply of customers at the mall at the cinemas. They are always busy there and Taco Bell couldn't make a go of it there. I think the only way it would likely succeed here is if they were paired up with KFC like in many other KFCs outside of Newfoundland and they also must have a really good location which means everything here. Years ago they built two Arby's restaurants here in areas that were not good locations at the time and they both failed. Another reason too was that maybe people in St. John's were not familiar with Arby's menu and always asked for hamburgers when they went there which they don't sell. I enjoyed the Arby's roast beef sandwiches and witnessed other customers coming in asking for burgers many times. The Arby's on Torbay road is now an A&W and the other Arby's that was on Kenmount Road is now a Ches's.

J_Murphy Dec 11, 2012 6:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arrakis (Post 5933797)
I really don't think that St. John's is a Taco Bell kind of town really. I mean, they had a continuous supply of customers at the mall at the cinemas. They are always busy there and Taco Bell couldn't make a go of it there. I think the only way it would likely succeed here is if they were paired up with KFC like in many other KFCs outside of Newfoundland and they also must have a really good location which means everything here. Years ago they built two Arby's restaurants here in areas that were not good locations at the time and they both failed. Another reason too was that maybe people in St. John's were not familiar with Arby's menu and always asked for hamburgers when they went there which they don't sell. I enjoyed the Arby's roast beef sandwiches and witnessed other customers coming in asking for burgers many times. The Arby's on Torbay road is now an A&W and the other Arby's that was on Kenmount Road is now a Ches's.

That must have been more than a few years ago....I don't remember either of these Arby's and I grew up in the city (well, Mt. pearl :))

Arrakis Dec 11, 2012 6:26 PM

Yeah it was some years ago now that Arby's were in St. John's.

Quote:

Originally Posted by J_Murphy (Post 5933847)
That must have been more than a few years ago....I don't remember either of these Arby's and I grew up in the city (well, Mt. pearl :))

Arrakis Dec 11, 2012 6:51 PM

The two Arby's were operating in St. John's I would say around the late 80's or early 90's. They didn't last too long which is probably why you don't recall them. But both buildings remain to this day in pretty much the same manner in which they opened. The one on Kenmount Road had several different businesses operating out of it over the years. Car sales lot for a few years and now it's a Ches's Fish & Chips.

Quote:

Originally Posted by J_Murphy (Post 5933847)

MrChills Dec 12, 2012 4:22 AM

Quote:

Seriously? Taco Bell is brutal

MrChills Dec 12, 2012 4:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Newfoundlander (Post 5933582)
So will Mary Browns close its other Freshwater location or operate two stores a couple of blocks apart?

The existing Freshwater location would be a great place for a condo building with some height.

That would be a great location. I was just looking at the aerial view and it's a fairly large lot for that area of town and could support a decent sized building.

PoscStudent Dec 12, 2012 4:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arrakis (Post 5933781)
The only Taco Bell we had at the Empire Cinemas at Avalon Mall has been gone for some time now I think.

I have not been to a movie in a while.

I loved the idea of Taco Bell and was so excited when it cam here and I had it once and hated it. I remember seeing it on TV afterwards and thinking it looked so great but kept remember that it twas not. I think my issue was with their ground beef.

Ayreonaut Dec 12, 2012 6:04 AM

KFC > Mary Brown's, so I'm slightly disappointed. Only slightly because I really don't go to either when I'm in town.

SpongeG Dec 12, 2012 7:18 AM

taco bell is awful - chronic taco, now that's good