SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   St. John's (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=700)
-   -   [St. John's] Retail Thread (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=198935)

rthomasd Jun 6, 2017 4:02 PM

The NGA HR call centre is moving out of the Village to the Target, taking about half the space. Should be done by Fall.

Engibeer Jun 7, 2017 11:23 AM

This may have already been posted but anyway, I was in VW/Audi the other day and the sales manager said they're about to kick off construction on a new VW dealership behind Wal Mart on Kelsey Drive. The existing building on Kenmount Rd. will sell only Audi products. Not sure on the timeline.

elizabethf1985 Jun 13, 2017 6:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tylerTUBE (Post 7803940)
There's now fencing up around the new Coleman's building, I live next door to it so I'll keep us updated on what happens as the weeks progress

How's the Coleman's coming on Torbay Rd? Any progress being made?

tylerTUBE Jun 14, 2017 1:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elizabethf1985 (Post 7833492)
How's the Coleman's coming on Torbay Rd? Any progress being made?

Picture is about two weeks old now, but the whole thing is stripped down to bare bones now, working on the facade now, the inside is going really well.

http://www.anywearclothing.co/upload...85101_orig.jpg

Tocchet22 Jun 16, 2017 11:25 AM

Rocky Mountain Chocolate Factory - Water Street

Noticed this new store across from Bowring buiding on drive through Water Street yesterday. Is this a second store in the city or a move from Churchill Square??

JCE Jun 16, 2017 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tocchet22 (Post 7836491)
Noticed this new store across from Bowring buiding on drive through Water Street yesterday. Is this a second store in the city or a move from Churchill Square??

From Facebook

"We're very excited to see the sign go up today!!
Our second location is almost ready for opening at 282 Water Street St John's :) #comeinforadip #chocolateovereverything"

jeddy1989 Jun 20, 2017 2:10 PM

The Avalon mall is FINALLY getting a face lift. They just announced some of their interior plans.

Quote:

In April 2017, Crombie Reit kicked off Phase I of the Avalon Mall Redevelopment. This multi-year project commenced with the demolition of the existing pedway over O’Leary Avenue and the start of construction of a four-level, 875 space parking structure. For more information on all the exciting things to come, we invite you to review the Press Release and the conceptual photos below.
http://shopavalonmall.com/assets/Uploads/Main-pic2.jpg

http://shopavalonmall.com/redevelopment

Quote:

CROMBIE REIT KICKS OFF AVALON MALL REDEVELOPMENT
St. John’s, NL – Crombie Real Estate Investment Trust (“Crombie”) has launched a
three year capital investment program to enhance Avalon Mall's position as the
dominant enclosed mall in Newfoundland and Labrador. Upgrades will enable Avalon
Mall to continue to improve tenant mix and increase sales per square foot. The $54.5
million Phase I project coincides with Avalon Mall’s 50th Anniversary, and began in April
with construction of a four-level, 875 space parking structure. The project will include a
redesign and realignment of Kenmount Road vehicular access, and the redesign and
phased renovation of the centre's interior common areas, entrances and exterior facade
beginning later this year.
All interior common areas will be transformed with contemporary porcelain tile, acoustic
ceiling tiles, and wooden seating. Lighting will be updated to LED linear and recessed
downlight fixtures. Natural light will be in abundance, as plans include a clerestory to
replace existing skylights. Additional features designed to create an exciting and
engaging visitor experience will be finalized and shared later this year.
Work will begin on the food court early in 2018, which will receive the same lighting,
ceiling, and tile treatments as centre court, corridors, and atriums. While it is too early to
discuss new retailers or food court vendors, a new store front design criteria will be
implemented during the project that will align with the centre’s modern and simplified
new look.
Donna Vincent, Marketing Manager at Avalon Mall, believes that these changes will
enhance the customer experience when visiting the centre. “We’re grateful for the
support our customers have shown us over the past 50 years, and we’re really looking
forward to sharing a new and improved Avalon Mall with them,” says Vincent.
Crombie is also planning for the redevelopment of an abutting property on Kenmount
Road that was purchased in 2012. This redevelopment will improve two aging buildings
with new retail space with modern design, provide additional parking, and integrate the
redeveloped property with Avalon Mall by significantly improving vehicular and
pedestrian connectivity between the two properties.

J_Murphy Jun 20, 2017 5:39 PM

It seems to me that the area in the first photo, around "The Marketplace" wasn't done that long ago??
It will be nice to the rest of the place get a makeover, and see what their plans are for exterior work.

Sox Jun 21, 2017 10:33 AM

Hmmmmm. Funny. Every time I'm in the Mall, all I see are skeets in Fox clothing hanging out.
This new renovation is certainly going to bring a massive upgrade to the clientele according to these photos ! LOL

Engibeer Jun 22, 2017 3:29 PM

Sears in Avalon Mall lives another day. Corner Brook not so much.

http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/business...ccaa-1.4172736

Malreynolds Jul 13, 2017 2:50 AM

https://scontent.fyqm1-1.fna.fbcdn.n...d3&oe=5A10FFC2

Image from Colemans facebook page of the new store and that they are hiring

IronMan Jul 24, 2017 6:46 AM

Looks like another crane is set to go up at the site of the new parking garage at the Avalon Mall. Looks to be one on site ready to be assembled. If so this will be a total of five. I don't ever remember five cranes like these in use at the same time here in the city. Not bad for all the negative vibes re the economy. I guess we take this as a good sign??? :)

jeddy1989 Jul 24, 2017 9:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IronMan (Post 7873758)
Looks like another crane is set to go up at the site of the new parking garage at the Avalon Mall. Looks to be one on site ready to be assembled. If so this will be a total of five. I don't ever remember five cranes like these in use at the same time here in the city. Not bad for all the negative vibes re the economy. I guess we take this as a good sign??? :)

I agree. Now if the Tiffany Village towers could get started, there will be tower cranes pretty much all around lol.

djslue Aug 9, 2017 5:40 PM

Ciniplex in Mount Pearl

How is this still open ? Been there awhile back and completely empty.

Tocchet22 Aug 10, 2017 12:46 PM

Ciniplex Mount Pearl

Quote:

Originally Posted by djslue (Post 7888555)

I heard new cinemas planned for Galway. Will probably close shortly after they open.

Sox Aug 10, 2017 3:39 PM

They must have a Free rent deal with the landlord ! There is no way they make enough to meet their monthly Overhead ---- a busy showing for them is 15 people !
Employees must also been on Govt wage programs.
I could understand if this was a recent decline in their business -- but this place has been empty for years now ( 10+ years ) --- Makes no sense.

NewfBC Aug 10, 2017 5:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by djslue (Post 7888555)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tocchet22 (Post 7889225)
I heard new cinemas planned for Galway. Will probably close shortly after they open.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sox (Post 7889401)
They must have a Free rent deal with the landlord ! There is no way they make enough to meet their monthly Overhead ---- a busy showing for them is 15 people !
I could understand if this was a recent decline in their business -- but this place has been empty for years now ( 10+ years ) --- Makes no sense.

This is probably why Cineplex cancelled the Theatre in the east end after they took over from Empire. If there's not enough support for 2 locations..

Ron.

Offshore1 Aug 10, 2017 7:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sox (Post 7889401)

I'm not a big movie goer, but any that I do see are at the Avalon Mall. I had to think back to the last movie I did see in Mount Pearl - Sideways- and that was 13 years ago.
Hopefully they build a new theatre in Galway sooner rather than later.

J_Murphy Aug 17, 2017 3:52 PM

Sunrise Records is coming to the Avalon Mall.
http://www.thetelegram.com/news/loca...form=hootsuite

Malreynolds Aug 18, 2017 12:48 PM

oops wrong thread if a mod can delete this post..