SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   City Compilations (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=87)
-   -   SAN DIEGO | Boom Rundown, Vol. 2 (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=126473)

eburress Jun 8, 2012 4:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SDfan (Post 5727031)
Wait. Pause.

The odd levels, spaces, nooks, and whimsy of Horton is something that needs to be saved.

I completely agree. This is the source of so much of the mall's charm, and it would be a real shame to lose that.

Derek Jun 8, 2012 7:40 AM

Why is it so charming? It's annoying as hell! :haha:

eburress Jun 8, 2012 7:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Derek (Post 5727214)
Why is it so charming? It's annoying as hell! :haha:

Obviously it's subjective, but IMO much of the mall's charm comes from its uniqueness and the juxtaposition of styles and colors. Replacing that with unimaginative, boring gray stucco and advertisements removes so much of what the mall had going for it.

I would say that until Westfield reorients the mall towards the surrounding streets, all the cosmetic changes in the world are just lipstick on a pig. ;)

Derek Jun 8, 2012 7:56 PM

I agree, the focus should be pushing more retail towards the surrounding streets. Oh well, guess we will all have to keep waiting. :(

BrandonJXN Jun 8, 2012 9:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mongoXZ (Post 5725807)
My take on the Horton Plaza redo: Please don't BUTCHER this gem!

Right now I personally think the color schemes and some of its architectural elements are tacky. But guess what? People thought similar of California Craftsman, googie style, mission revival etc etc. Now we all regret razing some of our most historic buildings in the name of modernizing towards 60's space age brutalism, which is what that video is pretty much proposing.

Let's not make the same mistake with Horton Plaza. It's charming in its own unique way. I mean, where can you find a place like this anywhere?
http://www.ymcanationals2010.org/wp-...rton-plaza.jpg

http://www.inetours.com/San_Diego/Im...Macys_6169.jpg
All images not mine.

What fun is it if you transform all this into that forgettable wannabe-classiness that can be anywhere, USA that the video shows? Westfield better not ruin it!:sly:

La Placita (Tucson, Arizona)
http://cache2.artprintimages.com/lrg...5/YRVCD00Z.jpg

http://www.bourncompanies.com/wp-con...69-460x310.jpg
http://www.bourncompanies.com/wp-con...69-460x310.jpg

http://o.aolcdn.com/dims-shared/dims...2lvg070810.jpg
http://o.aolcdn.com/dims-shared/dims...2lvg070810.jpg

http://www.go-arizona.com/AZ/images/...-LaPlacita.jpg
http://www.go-arizona.com/AZ/images/...-LaPlacita.jpg

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-TBxvAlBR4Q...acitaSmall.JPG
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-TBxvAlBR4Q...acitaSmall.JPG

http://www.tucsonazrealestateblog.co...mprovement.jpg
http://www.tucsonazrealestateblog.co...mprovement.jpg

mongoXZ Jun 8, 2012 9:50 PM

^^I see the similarities BUT:

That looks more like puebloesque style with a new coat of pastels. Horton Plaza is Escheresque kitsch 80' abstract.

HP is in the middle of a live, bustling urban center. That thing in Tuscon is. . .in Tuscon.

I KEED! I KEED!

Quote:

Originally Posted by eburress
I would say that until Westfield reorients the mall towards the surrounding streets, all the cosmetic changes in the world are just lipstick on a pig.

I totally agree. But how would you go about doing that effectively? The only way I can think of is demolishing the parking structure. I highly doubt that's gonna happen.

eburress Jun 8, 2012 10:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mongoXZ (Post 5727992)
^^I see the similarities BUT:

That looks more like puebloesque style with a new coat of pastels. Horton Plaza is Escheresque kitsch 80' abstract.

HP is in the middle of a live, bustling urban center. That thing in Tuscon is. . .in Tuscon.

I KEED! I KEED!



I totally agree. But how would you go about doing that effectively? The only way I can think of is demolishing the parking structure. I highly doubt that's gonna happen.

You would have to think it would involve a massive reconstruction, so yeah, I don't see it happening either. ;)

mongoXZ Jun 8, 2012 10:25 PM

Oh and a true story I want to tell everyone here since we're on the subject of Horton Plaza. I want to note what kind of impression outsiders get when they see it as it is.

I love entertaining out-of-town visitors and lately I've been doing that a lot. When I take them out I usually show them our downtown first. If there's time (like a few extra days) I show them the beach towns (Coronado, PB, La Jolla) and when they have a full week that's when our zoos and Seaworld come into play. When I drive to downtown I usually park at the very top level of the Horton Plaza Garage because there's always space available even during the busy times. I walk them down through the little mall and down the escalator into 4th Ave (yeah, I got it down to a T).

Last month my wife had a childhood friend from New York/ Jersey for a wedding. We took her thru the usual path to the Gaslamp. Mind you, this guest lives in Jersey City, commutes to Manhattan via subway and has been working as some kind of fashion manager at the original Saks 5th Ave for 20 years. The moment she set foot into Horton Plaza I saw her look up at all the signs in the sky and in her funny Fran Drescher-like accent she uttered "Guys, I'm gonna move here."

I asked her why do you say that? And she said "Look at this crazy place! I love it!"

Don't destroy Horton Plaza!

BrandonJXN Jun 8, 2012 10:36 PM

I was never much a fan of Horton Plaza. I remember being younger and walking to Mission Valley (matter of fact, I would WALK down Texas Street to get to Mission Valley..not an easy task). But looking back, Horton Plaza is a good design but it's from a different era. It really is in need of a upgrade.

eburress Jun 9, 2012 12:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mongoXZ (Post 5728033)
Oh and a true story I want to tell everyone here since we're on the subject of Horton Plaza. I want to note what kind of impression outsiders get when they see it as it is.

I love entertaining out-of-town visitors and lately I've been doing that a lot. When I take them out I usually show them our downtown first. If there's time (like a few extra days) I show them the beach towns (Coronado, PB, La Jolla) and when they have a full week that's when our zoos and Seaworld come into play. When I drive to downtown I usually park at the very top level of the Horton Plaza Garage because there's always space available even during the busy times. I walk them down through the little mall and down the escalator into 4th Ave (yeah, I got it down to a T).

Last month my wife had a childhood friend from New York/ Jersey for a wedding. We took her thru the usual path to the Gaslamp. Mind you, this guest lives in Jersey City, commutes to Manhattan via subway and has been working as some kind of fashion manager at the original Saks 5th Ave for 20 years. The moment she set foot into Horton Plaza I saw her look up at all the signs in the sky and in her funny Fran Drescher-like accent she uttered "Guys, I'm gonna move here."

I asked her why do you say that? And she said "Look at this crazy place! I love it!"

Don't destroy Horton Plaza!

That was my first impression too. I really loved Horton Plaza's "craziness" and will be sad to see it go.

LosAngelesDreamin Jun 13, 2012 5:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SDfan (Post 5727031)
The odd levels, spaces, nooks, and whimsy of Horton is something that needs to be saved. If you had read my posts from before, you'd know that the removal of Horton's distinctive architectural features are my main issue. Not the paint color, railings, etc. Do what you will with those details, just don't destroy the distinctive layout.

As for the billboards, LED or not, those are going to have a harder time being approved with downtown already having strict guidelines on such advertisements.

Yea the levels, weird layout, columns, arches, and domes and everything is what i really love... the color and patterns?? not so much at all...

but anyways i've always seen horton plaza as the place where led lights and such should be.. since the very top has those exaggerated food and store signs.. like the mcdees and such. also if the place did have a bunch of led signs and billboards it would really "distract" or be a "blight" to the streets and people outside on the streets surrounding the mall since its "inside"... the digital signs and lights wouldn't be seen on 4th and 1st ave, broadway, and g st.... im not saying put a whole bunch of it EVERYWHERE... but just a few here and there, nothing too crazy :D

IconRPCV Jun 15, 2012 6:10 AM

I spent much of my childhood in Horton Plaza, back when it was all there was in Downtown, when i lived in the East Village for 6 years I didn't get there as much, except occasionally to the Nordstom or the Movie theatre, but I always loved that she was still there. She needs to be updated a bit i agree but not changed. She is as much a part of San Diego as Balboa Park or the Hotel Del.

mello Jun 15, 2012 5:26 PM

Question about the shelved "Ball Park Village" project and the giant twin tower Marriott that was proposed: Who still controls that land where that project was going to be built? Is John Moores still involved with that parcel, because I'm wondering if that is part of the deal if you buy the Padres for 800 million do you get that land?

Also that land will be needed for a Stadium if one is built on the East Village site, so will the city or Chargers have to buy it from Moores or whomever controls/will control it once the Padres sale goes through?

HurricaneHugo Jun 22, 2012 11:00 PM

Got my degree (Structural Engineering) and lost my job in the same day.

Anybody looking for a worker lol

What are some good city jobs I could do?

202_Cyclist Jun 22, 2012 11:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HurricaneHugo (Post 5743595)
Got my degree (Structural Engineering) and lost my job in the same day.

Anybody looking for a worker lol

What are some good city jobs I could do?

Sorry to hear this. There are tremendous opportunities if you have an engineering degree here in DC.

HurricaneHugo Jun 25, 2012 5:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 202_Cyclist (Post 5743623)
Sorry to hear this. There are tremendous opportunities if you have an engineering degree here in DC.

Moving isn't really an option at this point. :\

mello Jun 25, 2012 6:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HurricaneHugo (Post 5745432)
Moving isn't really an option at this point. :\

Yup you stuck in Sherman Heights son, better find you a hustle quick. Gotta pay dem bills bwoy :haha: You could start a little churro stand on Cesar Chavez... Maybe make 50$ a day -- Times are tough in SD right now for the youth, I see some social unrest coming soon. Just aren't any opportunities for a middle class income, at least not nearly enough to go around.

HurricaneHugo Jun 26, 2012 6:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mello (Post 5745478)
Yup you stuck in Sherman Heights son, better find you a hustle quick. Gotta pay dem billy bwoy :haha: You could start a little churro stand on Cesar Chavez... Maybe make 50$ a day -- Times are tough in SD right now for the youth, I see some social unrest coming soon. Just aren't any opportunities for a middle class income, at least not nearly enough to go around.

Maybe I'll start a protection racket on the tamale ladies...

Hmm...

Lipani Jun 28, 2012 4:28 AM

Quote:

Condo project OK'd; starting price $750,000
Bosa wins design approval for 41-story project, leaves name to public
Written by Roger Showley

Nat Bosa, the Vancouver developer responsible for many of San Diego's downtown condo towers, says his next project will top all those.

He's planning a 41-story, 232-unit tower at the southeast corner of Broadway and Pacific Highway.

Estimated to cost $250 million and projected for completion in 2016, this would not be the tallest, by floor count, in the city. Its neighbor to the east, Electra, also built by Bosa, holds that distinction: 43 stories.

http://media.utsandiego.com/img/phot...e0b2d025cf5799
http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2012/...next-wave-dev/

northbay Jun 28, 2012 4:51 AM

^ Looks great! Anybody know the height in feet? 500? ;)


All times are GMT. The time now is 6:03 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.