SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Canada (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   The Great Canadian Sports Attendance, Marketing and TV Ratings Thread (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=228928)

osmo Jul 30, 2017 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SaskScraper (Post 7879601)
BC & Alberta have more NFL football fans than MLB baseball fans & Saskatchewan has twice as many NFL fans as MBL fans so its kinda hard to say Jay's have good numbers in the West especially considering there are no NFL teams in Canada.

Also seriously using the term 'bush league' in reference to a sport is only used by men who can't play sports very well themselves & who are trying to compensate for something very very small.

So, head to head a Sunday Blue Jay's game will not our draw a NFL game at the same time in these provinces? I find it hard to believe. NFL barley does 100k nationally at times for many games.

elly63 Jul 30, 2017 2:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by osmo (Post 7879886)
So, head to head a Sunday Blue Jay's game will not our draw a NFL game at the same time in these provinces? I find it hard to believe. NFL barley does 100k nationally at times for many games.

It depends on whether you are talking about an in contention Jays or the back to reality Jays which can be a half million person difference.

And the NFL has been drawing much better (I am loathe to say) because of the full push they get from Bell and being aired on the full CTV network which has up to a 20% greater reach than TSN. This disparity can only get bigger IMO with the cord cutting phenomena in full swing. The CFL has got to somehow get some games (at least the Grey Cup) on CTV before Bell builds the monster that will kill them.

And IIRC, like hockey if there are three NFL games on at the same time the rating numbers are lumped together.

WhipperSnapper Jul 30, 2017 3:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SaskScraper (Post 7879601)
Also seriously using the term 'bush league' in reference to a sport is only used by men who can't play sports very well themselves & who are trying to compensate for something very very small.

I think it goes the other way around. The guys promoting bush leagues as better than the premier leagues are compensating for wee wee willies instead of excepting it for what it is.

wave46 Jul 30, 2017 5:30 PM

Legitimate question:

Why the comparison between MLB and the CFL here? Do the fanbases overlap that much (other than playing during part of the other's season)?

It's like comparing a steakhouse to an Italian restaurant. Yeah, they both fall under the category of 'restaurants' but a direct comparison would be silly as to which is better. The groups that passionately follow either may not really overlap.

I see the comparison for NFL vs. CFL numbers - it's pretty likely that fans overlap there.

elly63 Jul 30, 2017 6:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper (Post 7879953)
The guys promoting bush leagues as better than the premier leagues are compensating for wee wee willies instead of excepting it for what it is.

And who is doing that? And what is your definition of better, higher salaries? more camera angles? bigger supposedly "better" players?

By parts of that definition that counts leagues such as the KHL, the EPL and all women's sports as "bush league" or less than the best. And that supposition is stupid.

Those that use the terms "bush league" are the water cooler, office pool crowd who are clueless because they only know the side of the argument that has been force fed to them and that they have happily and gullibly (sic) lapped up.

What pisses people off is when people come on here and deride someone else's sport as not good entertainment and worthy of one's time. If I've done that, my apologies, but it would almost always be because someone else has done it first and I'm letting them know it's not acceptable to me.

Every sport, no matter how much money and how high profile, has had its "fail" moments, they can all be made to look "bush league"

mistercorporate Jul 30, 2017 6:28 PM

I used to enjoy clicking on sports threads and seeing JHikka's stats (which he generously takes the time to collate) for many of the sports leagues in this country. Anyone who takes an interest in the business dide of sports is going to find that info interesting. MLS only posts numbers at the end of the year, it's really cool being able to see the numbers every month as well as the progress or developments in other leagues. I say we give the guy a break and let him do his schpeel as long as people find value in it.

JHikka Jul 31, 2017 10:21 PM

July 25-30, 2017

TORONTO/ANAHEIM...............JULY 28-30...MLB...ROGERS CENTRE...TORONTO.........44,394 (133,182 TOTAL)
TORONTO/OAKLAND..............JULY 25-27...MLB...ROGERS CENTRE...TORONTO.........43,364 (130,092 TOTAL)
SASKATCHEWAN/TORONTO...JULY 29.........CFL...MOSAIC.................REGINA..........33,350
EDMONTON/BC.....................JULY 28........CFL...COMMONWEALTH...EDMONTON......32,837
TORONTO/NYCFC...................JULY 30.......MLS....BMO FIELD...........TORONTO........29,203

WINNIPEG/MONTREAL.....JULY 27....CFL....IGF............WINNIPEG.....25,931
CALGARY/HAMILTON.......JULY 29....CFL...MCMAHON....CALGARY......25,492
OTTAWA/TFCII...............JULY 29....USL....TD PLACE.....OTTAWA.......6,763
EDMONTON/INDY...........JULY 30....NASL...CLARKE.....EDMONTON.....3,285

Notes:
  • Blue Jays continue with great attendance despite lagging behind in standings
  • Roughriders sell out
  • Eskimos continue their 30K+ streak
  • TFC get their highest attendance of the season

DLLB Aug 1, 2017 1:15 AM

Wpg had a few more fans that Cgy. Not a knock of Cgy, just disappointing.

McMahon is an utter disgrace to the city of Calgary.

Dalreg Aug 1, 2017 3:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JHikka (Post 7881056)
July 25-30, 2017

TORONTO/ANAHEIM...............JULY 28-30...MLB...ROGERS CENTRE...TORONTO.........44,394 (133,182 TOTAL)
TORONTO/OAKLAND..............JULY 25-27...MLB...ROGERS CENTRE...TORONTO.........43,364 (130,092 TOTAL)
SASKATCHEWAN/TORONTO...JULY 29.........CFL...MOSAIC.................REGINA..........33,350
EDMONTON/BC.....................JULY 28........CFL...COMMONWEALTH...EDMONTON......32,837
TORONTO/NYCFC...................JULY 30.......MLS....BMO FIELD...........TORONTO........29,203

OTTAWA/TFCII...............JULY 29....USL....TD PLACE.....OTTAWA.......6,763
EDMONTON/INDY...........JULY 30....NASL...CLARKE.....EDMONTON.....3,285

Notes:
  • Blue Jays continue with great attendance despite lagging behind in standings
  • Roughriders sell out
  • Eskimos continue their 30K+ streak
  • TFC get their highest attendance of the season

How many of these would be sell outs?
Regina for sure, maybe Edmonton soccer?

snowmobile Aug 1, 2017 4:24 PM

Monday July 31

Bellingham Bells at Victoria Harbourcats - West Coast League - 2262

JHikka Aug 3, 2017 9:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dalreg (Post 7881307)

Regina was a sellout for CFL. I believe Clarke's capacity for FC Edmonton games is ~4K but don't quote me on it. They're having their best season ever for attendance by what I can find but they're usually shy of selling out.

Acajack Aug 6, 2017 2:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elly63 (Post 7880048)
And who is doing that? And what is your definition of better, higher salaries? more camera angles? bigger supposedly "better" players?

By parts of that definition that counts leagues such as the KHL, the EPL and all women's sports as "bush league" or less than the best. And that supposition is stupid.

Those that use the terms "bush league" are the water cooler, office pool crowd who are clueless because they only know the side of the argument that has been force fed to them and that they have happily and gullibly (sic) lapped up.

What pisses people off is when people come on here and deride someone else's sport as not good entertainment and worthy of one's time. If I've done that, my apologies, but it would almost always be because someone else has done it first and I'm letting them know it's not acceptable to me.

Every sport, no matter how much money and how high profile, has had its "fail" moments, they can all be made to look "bush league"

I don't generally play the bush league rhetoric game but frankly if we go there the MLS is definitely bush compared to the EPL Bundesliga La Liga and Série A. It's arguably even bush compared to the French league.

BTW I like MLS. I watched Mtl-Orl tonight.

JHikka Aug 7, 2017 8:11 PM

August 1-6, 2017
EDMONTON/HAMILTON.....AUG 4....CFL.....COMMONWEALTH.....EDMONTON....27,078
OTTAWA/WINNIPEG.........AUG 4.....CFL.....TD PLACE.............OTTAWA..........23,725
BC/SASKATCHEWAN.........AUG 5....CFL.....BC PLACE..............VANCOUVER....23,415
MONTREAL/ORLANDO.......AUG 5.....MLS....STADE SAPUTO........MONTREAL...20,801
TORONTO/CALGARY..........AUG 3.....CFL.....BMO FIELD.............TORONTO.....11,616
OTTAWA/BETHELEM..........AUG 5....USL.....TD PLACE...............OTTAWA........4,630

WhipperSnapper Aug 7, 2017 11:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elly63 (Post 7880048)

It was half in jest response to Saskscraper. He's fun.

Bush league can be a derogatory term to some however, I'm in no way implying that a bush league is not fun or a waste of time to follow. That's your own conclusion. I follow some bush league sports and I proudly call it as such.

The CFL is not the top league in our coverage area. The actual game of football (not including all the ancillary activities promoting the NFL) is a niche market in Toronto. That's being rational.

elly63 Aug 10, 2017 6:55 PM

People may not like the idea or its execution but this is good marketing that helps create brand awareness without beating you on the head.

Riders Make “President Carter” Throwback Radio Feature To Support Duron For #CatchOfTheYear
Max Rosenberg The Snap

https://twitter.com/sskroughriders/s...00850536808448

The use of the old radio voice over is A+. Well done Riders.

TorontoDrew Aug 10, 2017 7:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dalreg (Post 7881307)
How many of these would be sell outs?

Most Jays games against popular teams are sellouts, even if the fans don't show. I'm heading to the Yankees game tonight and those tickets go fast early in the year. I'm sure the crowd will be between-41-42500 tonight.

elly63 Aug 11, 2017 1:05 AM

Shania Twain to headline Grey Cup halftime.

JHikka Aug 14, 2017 9:19 AM

Aug 8-13, 2017
TORONTO/PITTSBURGH...AUG 11-13...MLB....ROGERS....TORONTO...41,771...(125,132 TOTAL)
TORONTO/YANKEES..........AUG 8-10...MLB...ROGERS....TORONTO....41,454...(124,362 TOTAL)
SASKATCHEWAN/BC..........AUG 13.....CFL.....MOSAIC.....REGINA......33,350
TORONTO/PORTLAND..........AUG 12....MLS....BMO FIELD..TORONTO..28,415
OTTAWA/EDMONTON...........AUG 10....CFL....TD PLACE....OTTAWA....23,851

HAMILTON/WINNIPEG....AUG 12...CFL...TIM HORTONS....HAMILTON...23,517
MONTREAL/TORONTO.....AUG 11...CFL...MOLSON...........MONTREAL...19,712
OTTAWA/CHARLOTTE.....AUG 12...USL....TD PLACE.........OTTAWA......4,360

Notes
  • Although the Jays continue with strong numbers their Friday night game against Pittsburgh (35,965) was their lowest turnout since May. We'll have to see how numbers hold in August/September now that they're effectively eliminated from the postseason.
  • Riders sellout
  • TFC continues high 20Ks
  • REDBLACKS and Ti-Cats continue near-capacity

elly63 Aug 14, 2017 8:40 PM

Now you Know: Grey Cup halftime shows

In this edition of Now you Know, Kate McKenna takes a closer look at past Grey Cup halftime performances and all the behind the scenes incidents you likely haven't heard about.

UrbanClimate Aug 17, 2017 6:53 AM

Riders beat Jays, post best TV number of the CFL season

Posted on August 16, 2017 by Drew Edwards
http://3downnation.com/2017/08/16/ri...er-cfl-season/

"The Saskatchewan Roughriders 41-8 demolition of the B.C. Lions last Sunday was the most-watched CFL game on TSN so far this season.

The Riders-Leos match up even beat the Toronto Blue Jays, their 750,000 average audience besting the 721,000 the Jays posted on rival Sportsnet. The two games did not go head-to-head, however: the baseball game started at 1 p.m. EST (11 a.m. local time in Saskatchewan) while the CFL began at 8 p.m. EST (6 p.m. Saskie time.)..."