SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Southwest (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=643)
-   -   Southwest Coffee Talk (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=173766)

PhxDowntowner Jun 8, 2011 6:45 PM

Ashley Harder recently bought it and is going to turn it into a unique space with 2-3 (probably 3) merchants. Probably a blend of food & retail; she's still nailing down those details.

She's had a "housewarming" for it -- hosted a Radiate -- opened for First Friday with 4 artists, a food truck, and multiple table vendors -- and is having Short Leash there for lunch every Wednesday (as in *now*) this summer.

nickw252 Jun 8, 2011 10:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by westbev93 (Post 5308042)
Back to the discussion about 7th Ave and McDowell, I keep riding by on my bike, and I still don't see anything going on at all.

I live right by 7th Ave and McDowell and go by there frequently. I also haven't seen any work. Keep your fingers crossed.

nickw252 Jun 8, 2011 11:36 PM

Horne Building at 7th Ave & McDowell

I walked over by the building today at about 3 PM and there was no construction. The inside looks the same as it did a few weeks ago. It's completely gutted and looks like it's ready for something to move in but no work is being done.

http://i51.tinypic.com/rh1q80.jpg

http://i51.tinypic.com/1zdskl1.jpg

http://i55.tinypic.com/2d8jsy0.jpg

http://i52.tinypic.com/2ztkj77.jpg

westbev93 Jun 8, 2011 11:53 PM

And that's how it has looked for months. The only work that I've seen since Horne apparently sold the building last fall is the jack-hammering of a small portion of the facade on the north side of the building.

nickw252 Jun 9, 2011 3:26 AM

Does anyone know if there is parking at the Flagstaff Amtrak station? I've googled it and can't find a definitive answer.

I'm thinking of taking Amtrak to Kansas City this fall for a wedding.

Buckeye Native 001 Jun 9, 2011 5:11 AM

Yeah, there's long-term parking there, but not much. There's also a couple of city-run parking lots near the station, but one's currently closed for renovation (stupid, I know...), and I'm not sure how long the city would let you keep your car parked there.

Beyond the novelty of travelling cross country by train, why not just fly? PHX to MCI is only a two hour flight.

nickw252 Jun 9, 2011 1:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buckeye Native 001 (Post 5309081)
Beyond the novelty of travelling cross country by train, why not just fly? PHX to MCI is only a two hour flight.

Mostly the joy of taking a train - it's like a vacation in itself. You get to see the countryside, mountains and rivers from the comfort of your roomy seat with no worries about driving, gas and airport security. There's plenty of room for luggage, plugs at your seat for laptops, diner cars with food, coffee and drinks, and you can get up and walk around any time you want.

I took the California Zephyr last year from Elko Nevada to Reno and I didn't want the train ride to end.

Vicelord John Jun 9, 2011 4:53 PM

The ride from flag to Kansas city is longer than that. It will seem like it's never going to end.

Crispy Jun 9, 2011 4:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by westbev93 (Post 5308778)
And that's how it has looked for months. The only work that I've seen since Horne apparently sold the building last fall is the jack-hammering of a small portion of the facade on the north side of the building.

There was a lot of work done on the inside. There were structural issues that needed to be addressed and asbestos remediation. Lots of demo to prep for TI's.

Buckeye Native 001 Jun 9, 2011 7:06 PM

It'd be cheaper to fly (even in spite of airline prices spiking thanks to rising fuel costs). Hell, it'd probably be cheaper to drive. Personally, I don't have the time or patience to travel for that long. I'd rather get to my destination as quickly (and hassle-free) as possible.

Don B. Jun 10, 2011 12:55 PM

^ I think taking a train would be cool. I hate flying now and would prefer never to get on another airplane.

--don

Vicelord John Jun 10, 2011 11:26 PM

ever wondered what would happen if we got nuked?

http://www.carloslabs.com/node/20

Buckeye Native 001 Jun 10, 2011 11:34 PM

That's a lot more fun than it has any right to be, as far as hypothetical nuclear destruction is concerned.

So I might be heading down to Phoenix for a concert next week at US Airways Center, but I'm not sure if I'm better off finding parking Downtown somewhere (not sure where, I haven't driven Downtown for any length of time in nearly three years) or if I'm better off using light rail via park-n-ride (used to take the light rail into Downtown from 42nd/Washington when I lived in Ahwatukee, but I'm coming south on I-17 from Flagstaff). If I park downtown, shall I play it safe and use the garage mahal or are there better parking locations that I don't know about?

Vicelord John Jun 10, 2011 11:39 PM

just drive to where the concert is (I'm assuming USAC or Dodge.) How much is parking, $10? by the time you park the car, wait for a train, buy a ticket, and walk, you will be better off just to pay the damn parking fee.

If you must ride the train, park at 19/Montebello which is just a mile from the Bethany exit off I-17.

HooverDam Jun 11, 2011 12:10 AM

Why pay for parking at all? If you're going to drive anyhow just park in a non metered spot downtown, there are plenty of them. Along the Portland Street parkway by Portland Square apartments is all free. Garfield between Central and 1st is free and there's lots more if you look. You can then just walk to where you're going or hop on the train for a few stops and either pay like a good boy or be a rebel and hop you don't get caught since you're only going a few stops.

Vicelord John Jun 11, 2011 12:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HooverDam (Post 5311447)
Why pay for parking at all? If you're going to drive anyhow just park in a non metered spot downtown, there are plenty of them. Along the Portland Street parkway by Portland Square apartments is all free. Garfield between Central and 1st is free and there's lots more if you look. You can then just walk to where you're going or hop on the train for a few stops and either pay like a good boy or be a rebel and hop you don't get caught since you're only going a few stops.

Portland? Garfield? Those are fine if you want to bring your bike with you or walk .75 mile.

HooverDam Jun 11, 2011 12:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vicelord John (Post 5311482)
Portland? Garfield? Those are fine if you want to bring your bike with you or walk .75 mile.

I've parked in both those places dozens upon dozens of times when I didn't live in Downtown, to go to Suns, D'backs games, whatever. Its not a bad little walk at all for someone in decent shape in their 20s or 30s.

Vicelord John Jun 11, 2011 1:04 AM

I'm not questioning whether or not the walk can be done. Lord knows I can handle that walk since I bicycle 100 miles a week, but does that mean I want to? I don't want to arrive to the event covered in sweat and I don't want to plan extra time for the walk just to save $10

westbev93 Jun 11, 2011 1:17 AM

I take the train downtown these days, but I used to park at Renaissance Square's parking garage for baseball and concerts. It used to be that they opened the garage arm somewhere between 9 and 10p, and nobody was in the parking booth after that. So as long as you were staying into the evening for your event, you could park completely free downtown.

As for free parking on Garfield, I am fortunately at a place in life where I can afford $10, but before that, it was the RS garage.

HooverDam Jun 11, 2011 1:30 AM

oh yah speaking of garages with arms up, the garage facing VB on the other side of 44 Monroe, where Sonoma is (was?) is usually free after 8pm I think it is.