SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   City Compilations (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=87)
-   -   SAN DIEGO | Boom Rundown, Vol. 2 (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=126473)

bmfarley May 17, 2008 7:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IconRPCV (Post 3558861)
So is the SD to LA segment no longer regulated to the second phase? If this is so then this is great news.

If AB 3034 passes in the state legislature, that would be correct. It may have already passed as it was scheduled to be discussed last week or the week before.

Among the objectives of AB 3034, one would be that any segment of the HSR system is eleigible for the bond money. And, prioritization is given to segments that have the greatest financial viability and greatest ridership opportunity.

Because the SD to LA link is anticpated to carry large numbers, and it's shorter with few tunnels (if any?)... it should rank very well when it comes time to decide which segments to order construction. However, the SD-LA link is behind in engineering work to date... as LA-SF efforts have been the focus for the past 2-4 years.

SDCAL May 17, 2008 7:58 PM

AB 3034 status

I looked up the bill on the CA legisltaure website. It says "suspense file" which means it's not dead, but it's not flying through approval either

It look slike it passed the transporation committe but is held up with appropriations, no big surprise :sly:

COMPLETE BILL HISTORY

BILL NUMBER : A.B. No. 3034
AUTHOR : Galgiani
TOPIC : Safe, Reliable High-Speed Passenger Train Bond Act for the 21st
Century.

TYPE OF BILL :
Active
Urgency
Non-Appropriations
2/3 Vote Required
Non-State-Mandated Local Program
Fiscal
Non-Tax Levy

BILL HISTORY
May 7 In committee: Set, first hearing. Referred to APPR. suspense
file.
Apr. 22 Re-referred to Com. on APPR.
Apr. 21 Read second time and amended.
Apr. 17 From committee: Amend, do pass as amended, and re-refer to Com. on
APPR. (Ayes 10. Noes 0.) (April 14).
Apr. 10 Re-referred to Com. on TRANS.
Apr. 9 From committee chair, with author's amendments: Amend, and re-refer
to Com. on TRANS. Read second time and amended.
Mar. 13 Referred to Com. on TRANS.
Feb. 25 Read first time.
Feb. 24 From printer. May be heard in committee March 25.
Feb. 22 Introduced. To print

PadreHomer May 17, 2008 9:06 PM

Burger King downtown has closed

bmfarley May 17, 2008 10:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SDCAL (Post 3558977)
I looked up the bill on the CA legisltaure website. It says "suspense file" which means it's not dead, but it's not flying through approval either

It look slike it passed the transporation committe but is held up with appropriations, no big surprise :sly:

COMPLETE BILL HISTORY

BILL NUMBER : A.B. No. 3034
AUTHOR : Galgiani
TOPIC : Safe, Reliable High-Speed Passenger Train Bond Act for the 21st
Century.

TYPE OF BILL :
Active
Urgency
Non-Appropriations
2/3 Vote Required
Non-State-Mandated Local Program
Fiscal
Non-Tax Levy

BILL HISTORY
May 7 In committee: Set, first hearing. Referred to APPR. suspense
file.
Apr. 22 Re-referred to Com. on APPR.
Apr. 21 Read second time and amended.
Apr. 17 From committee: Amend, do pass as amended, and re-refer to Com. on
APPR. (Ayes 10. Noes 0.) (April 14).
Apr. 10 Re-referred to Com. on TRANS.
Apr. 9 From committee chair, with author's amendments: Amend, and re-refer
to Com. on TRANS. Read second time and amended.
Mar. 13 Referred to Com. on TRANS.
Feb. 25 Read first time.
Feb. 24 From printer. May be heard in committee March 25.
Feb. 22 Introduced. To print

It looks like it is moving along nicely. And, not held up and in limbo as you seem to indicate. The last action was only on May 7th, 10 days ago. Proper scheduling and committee agenda planning seems it would take at least a week or two, maybe more, before a bill moves onto the next committee.

From everything I have heard, the bill is welcomed by many and not controversial.... it's passage a matter of crossing t's and dotting i's is all that is needed.

bmfarley May 18, 2008 2:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by teiwaz (Post 3490091)
So were you there? In the court? The judge gave Simplon till May 1st to finalize some deals and see where they are at that time. SDG tried to push it but the judge saw the truth and allowed more time for help... that's the whole reason for filing Chapter 11. Now we wait and see if Simplon can get the loan docs all ready and closed before then or at least closer. SDG didn't have the evidence to back up it's claim like Simplon and it just seemed that Simplon was just more classy then the sharks on the other side. One small step in the right direction for the small guy!

May 1st came and went! Any news on this project? Nothing was in the UT... at least that surfaced in a search.

? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y12...opment/cms.jpg
Photo courtesy of Jaygergon's account on photobucket

ShekelPop May 18, 2008 3:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by malsponger (Post 3558787)
This might have been discussed on here already but how about that empty space behind America Plaza on Kettner and B. I know it's underground parking. I am assuming Irvine Company owns that too? Is anything planned to go on top of that? What a waste of great space.

CCDC is planning for a park/plaza in that space, an RFP went out some time earlier in the year, I can't recall if a contract was issued yet or to whom

SDCAL May 18, 2008 7:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bmfarley (Post 3559182)
It looks like it is moving along nicely. And, not held up and in limbo as you seem to indicate. The last action was only on May 7th, 10 days ago. Proper scheduling and committee agenda planning seems it would take at least a week or two, maybe more, before a bill moves onto the next committee.

From everything I have heard, the bill is welcomed by many and not controversial.... it's passage a matter of crossing t's and dotting i's is all that is needed.

I made the comment because at the most recent hearing it says "suspense file"

that just didn't sound good, but maybe it's nothing that will hold it up

HurricaneHugo May 19, 2008 8:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by malsponger (Post 3558787)
This might have been discussed on here already but how about that empty space behind America Plaza on Kettner and B. I know it's underground parking. I am assuming Irvine Company owns that too? Is anything planned to go on top of that? What a waste of great space.

America Plaza 2 was planned to go up there, but I think it got shot down. :(

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y12...ent/oneam2.bmp

HurricaneHugo May 19, 2008 8:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bmfarley (Post 3556190)
I wouldn't call it a toy. Lindbergh is not one why should this project be considered simply b/c it's not yet a reality here yet?

Huh?

bmfarley May 19, 2008 1:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HurricaneHugo (Post 3561260)
Huh?

?

keg92101 May 19, 2008 2:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bmfarley (Post 3559500)
May 1st came and went! Any news on this project? Nothing was in the UT... at least that surfaced in a search.

? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y12...opment/cms.jpg
Photo courtesy of Jaygergon's account on photobucket

Well, the dude ain't posting anything, so he's probably out...

sandiegodweller May 19, 2008 9:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg92101 (Post 3561399)
Well, the dude ain't posting anything, so he's probably out...

The hearing on this motion has been delayed. It is now set for May 27. But it could be delayed again.

bmfarley May 19, 2008 10:46 PM

Where were you when the Hilton blew today?

Taken approximately 5 minutes after teh explosion from my crummy 4mp camera:

Hilton; 5 minutes after explosion
http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n...on/Hilton1.jpg

CoastersBolts May 19, 2008 11:02 PM

Here's the Link to the story, updated at about 3:30PM today

The explosion was so big that people in Point Loma, I'm seeing on the news, thought it was an earthquake! Wow, that's bad. Imagine if this place were open and this happened? My hearts go out to the people who were hurt today.

Fusey May 20, 2008 12:03 AM

I thought I was losing it as I was driving out of downtown and swore I heard something. :( Hopefully these guys who were injured are doing okay.

aaron38 May 20, 2008 2:23 AM

I just heard about this on CNN. What would explode inside a concrete building?
A gas leak is the only thing I can think of. Gas must have filled a mechanical room and then sparked. But you'd think someone would have smelled a leak that big... wow.
They're really lucky no one was killed.

CoastersBolts May 20, 2008 6:30 AM

The local news reported that indeed there was a gas leak in the mechanical room and something ignited it and it blew. While the fire department has determined that the gas leak caused the explosion, what has not been determined is what ignited it. This hotel was supposed to open in December, but clearly that's not going to happen. I wonder how much of the rest of the building sustained damage and what will have to be done to the entire building as a result of the blast.

kpexpress May 20, 2008 6:42 AM

so you think there is a chance that they will change the design of the building?

Marina_Guy May 20, 2008 2:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kpexpress (Post 3563058)
so you think there is a chance that they will change the design of the building?

As much a chance as Hillary has being the nominee.

What is with that ramp going into the hotel? Looks like an airport arrivals deck. Go take a picture from Coronado of that hotel, what an architectural mess... I thought the Hyatt was bad. The massing on the bottom of this 'hotel' is dreadful.

JDRCRASH May 20, 2008 4:54 PM

I heard about this all over the news, good thing nobody's dead. And hopefully this Major project will remain on schedule for completion, but I doubt it, considering the magnitude of damage sustained by the blast.

Here is a closer look at it:

http://www.necn.com/files/2008/05/19...ap-2247563.jpg