SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Completed Project Threads Archive (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=348)
-   -   NEW YORK | Central Park Tower (Nordstrom)| 1,550 FT | 131 FLOORS (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=191095)

mistermetAJ Aug 6, 2014 12:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NYguy (Post 6681573)
^ I'm sure that'll be posted in the appropriate thread.

As far as this tower goes, if its at 1,775 ft, it'll be the second tallest, a foot shorter than the Freedom Tower (even if it has a higher roof height). But with so many supertall towers going up in Manhattan now and in the future, I think design is more important for this one.

Couldnt agree with you more. In this case design is much more important than height. This iteration was an improvement over the previous. Lets hope that trend continues.

ILNY Aug 6, 2014 12:29 AM

^ Yes, we still don't know the final design but it should be revealed in few months when the foundation concrete is poured. (At least that's what Barnett did with One57).

antinimby Aug 6, 2014 2:39 AM

No biggie but the floor number in the title is wrong. The permit says 92 floors.

Crawford Aug 6, 2014 3:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Onn (Post 6681278)
There is going to be a recession at some point and many of these projects will end up in the dust bin. It's happened before, its not going to be shocking. In fact I would prepare yourself. Many projects starting construction right now will pass but ones a little further away may have a much harder time coming to past.

Well yeah, obviously there will be a recession at some point, and projects will temporarily stop.

But the projects almost never go to the "dust bin". A development site might be frozen, but will revive once the economy revives. The ownership or design might change, but a Manhattan development site has only one fate, and that's to be developed.

Many of the projects we're seeing right now actually predate this boom. They're just iterations of projects from the previous boom.

Crawford Aug 6, 2014 3:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by babybackribs2314 (Post 6681421)
Shvo Tower is 77 floors. :)

Very interesting! I wanted 100 floors, but the design and height is much more important than floor count.

Hope to hear more on NY YIMBY as soon as you're able to release info. :yes:

Perklol Aug 6, 2014 3:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by babybackribs2314 (Post 6681421)
Shvo Tower is 77 floors. :)

So it is a real building? Good to hear.:)

gramsjdg Aug 6, 2014 4:12 AM

Its been a roller coaster ride with this tower, but I like where its headed. A much better design (so far) than the 1423 ft massing model (definitely the low point of this ride) and approaching the original 1550 ft height. :cheers:

Chicago103 Aug 7, 2014 2:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NYguy (Post 6647628)

If I am reading this diagram correctly the 90th floor is the highest non-mechanical floor and thus it will be 9 feet higher than the highest non-mechanical floor in the Sears Tower which is the 1,353 foot high 103rd floor observatory, if someone were to count lowest street level as lower Wacker Drive than Chicago would still win, I am not saying that is a proper measurement nor that it really matters but just demonstrating how much of a nominal record it would be. Impressive but it always seems that for whatever reason American skyscrapers still can't get passed the 1,300's foot range for highest occupied floor, the Chicago Spire would have.

P.S. it really does look like New York City's version of Chicago's Trump Tower!

wilfredo267 Aug 7, 2014 2:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chicago103 (Post 6682968)
If I am reading this diagram correctly the 90th floor is the highest non-mechanical floor and thus it will be 9 feet higher than the highest non-mechanical floor in the Sears Tower which is the 1,353 foot high 103rd floor observatory, if someone were to count lowest street level as lower Wacker Drive than Chicago would still win, I am not saying that is a proper measurement nor that it really matters but just demonstrating how much of a nominal record it would be. Impressive but it always seems that for whatever reason American skyscrapers still can't get passed the 1,300's foot range for highest occupied floor, the Chicago Spire would have.

P.S. it really does look like New York City's version of Chicago's Trump Tower!

The DOB recent filings show a 1,490 roof height. That diagram most likely is obsolete.

http://a810-bisweb.nyc.gov/bisweb/Jo...ssdocnumber=07

gramsjdg Aug 7, 2014 4:25 AM

Yes. The roof height has gone from 1428' on that leaked diagram to 1490', an increase of 62 ft. Based on the recent renders, that could indicate a parapet (or curtain wall) height of at least 1540'.

So now the actual roof (and not just the parapet) will be higher than Sears, so there can be no doubt about being the tallest in all meaningful categories; roof height and parapet/structural height.

antinimby Aug 7, 2014 5:18 AM

I thought it was no longer called Sears.

Onn Aug 7, 2014 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by antinimby (Post 6683151)
I thought it was no longer called Sears.

Does anyone want to call it Willis Tower? It will always be Sears Tower in the hearts and minds of many. ;)

ILNY Aug 7, 2014 3:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gramsjdg (Post 6683108)
Yes. The roof height has gone from 1428' on that leaked diagram to 1490', an increase of 62 ft. Based on the recent renders, that could indicate a parapet (or curtain wall) height of at least 1540'.

I wonder if they will leave spire height unchanged with the roof height increase, which will make Nordstrom higher than 1WTC.

Onn Aug 7, 2014 4:30 PM

It seems unlikely the Spire will taller than 1,775 feet, but a taller roof height is a good thing. Maybe Extell really does intend to use all of their 1,550 feet in air rights.

NYguy Aug 7, 2014 9:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Onn (Post 6683583)
It seems unlikely the Spire will taller than 1,775 feet, but a taller roof height is a good thing. Maybe Extell really does intend to use all of their 1,550 feet in air rights.

They could go higher than 1,550 if the design dictated it. Overall, the number of units has dropped from about 230 to 199. So, it seems there will be larger units or increased store space. But it does seem likely the roof height will be higher than the 1,490 ft on the permit. We know it won't be 1,550 ft because there would have been no reason to alter that height otherwise.

Onn Aug 7, 2014 9:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NYguy (Post 6684031)
They could go higher than 1,550 if the design dictated it. Overall, the number of units has dropped from about 230 to 199. So, it seems there will be larger units or increased store space. But it does seem likely the roof height will be higher than the 1,490 ft on the permit. We know it won't be 1,550 ft because there would have been no reason to alter that height otherwise.

Exciting either way! I knew this building was going to turn out better than people were expecting when we saw the first sketches.

Blaze23 Aug 7, 2014 9:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Onn (Post 6684034)
Exciting either way! I knew this building was going to turn out better than people were expecting when we saw the first sketches.

We don't know how it's gonna turn out yet. It will be massive so its addition to the skyline will be exciting but I have yet to see a a rendering/massing that impresses me.

JayPro Aug 7, 2014 10:28 PM

It seems to me that they're gonna shoot for perhaps no more than two rather subtle façade treatments, what with the black bands on the east-facing profile.
If they tweak to a fair degree on that aspect alone, I'll be happy. But I hope that whatever emerges doesn't have that ubiquitous aqua hue.
This bubba will look best with perhaps a dark blue or forest greenish tint...or perhaps both.

1Boston Aug 8, 2014 12:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JayPro (Post 6684097)
It seems to me that they're gonna shoot for perhaps no more than two rather subtle façade treatments, what with the black bands on the east-facing profile.
If they tweak to a fair degree on that aspect alone, I'll be happy. But I hope that whatever emerges doesn't have that ubiquitous aqua hue.
This bubba will look best with perhaps a dark blue or forest greenish tint...or perhaps both.

I couldn't agree more. A dark dark blue with hints of green would look great on this. You could get lost in how deep the color goes, and would be a nice contrast against the lighter blue of 1wtc.

manchester united Aug 8, 2014 10:03 PM

Great skyscraper, but a stupid spire. I hope at least in a crown in place of this spire..........