SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   City Compilations (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=87)
-   -   SAN DIEGO | Boom Rundown, Vol. 2 (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=126473)

HurricaneHugo Nov 4, 2010 2:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bmfarley (Post 5042099)
I would love to see the Trolley put underground along Broadway and have a station at this location... complete with portal entrance to station at this park.

Just luv dreamin!

And it's also the start of the brand new yellow line that goes up Park blvd/El Cajon Blvd!

S.DviaPhilly Nov 7, 2010 4:37 PM

Pedestrian Bridge Almost Done!! (Finally)

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3.../pedbridge.jpg
http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...pedbridge2.jpg
http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...pedbridge3.jpg
http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...pedbridge4.jpg

SD_Phil Nov 7, 2010 7:00 PM

^Not the most flattering shots. I'm hoping they aren't done cleaning and painting the bridge yet, looks quite grimey.

SDCAL Nov 8, 2010 7:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by voice of reason (Post 5019003)
What a stupid comment. You obviously didnt read the posts prior. Context is everything, little boy.

What a tool you are. Go troll somewhere else with your lame political rants, that is not what this board is for. You will be reported if you continue your abuse on here.

kpexpress Nov 8, 2010 8:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SDfan (Post 5040939)
Actually the brick work is what attracted my eyes the most. I love it! haha.

Did anyone else catch in the report that the neon-green outline on the fin and up and down the side of the building is up for debate and that the developer is still under violation for the neon-red line on Allegro (their other project)? :haha:

I also found it interesting that the building seems to be facing east and not west, like most other projects. It would be nice to see a fin not facing the bay for once, although it will look a bit odd when compared to the other towers (Sapphire, Bayside, Grande, etc.).

When did this ugly ass fin aesthetic sweep our skyline? I hate all the lame ass fins in the skyline...apart from Pinnacle Museum Tower. it's cheap looking and a worthless excuse of finishing off the top of towers (AVRP is notorious for NOT doing.....cough cough Smart Corner). It doesn't cost a lot to elegantly finish off the tower, couldn't be more than a wasteful fin. I wish the fin on this one was removed all together and accentuate the contemporary roof line (the slightly inverted V). I think that would be a better option and cost less.

Props to the green roofs. Not a fan of the neon green light scheme. Allegro works...sort of, but I think it's because that tower is so slender and better proportions. The fin on the green one doesn't do much to downplay the already stubby proportions that are not working in It's favor.

Love the materials though. This building has been approved by CCDC real estate committee, and will go before the CCAC Nov 10.

kpexpress Nov 8, 2010 8:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SDfan (Post 5041469)
Horton Plaza Make-Over

...not what I was expecting...

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/2...ical-makeover/

I saw a presentation (unannounced to the public) on the future of Horton Plaza by the Architect. Probably shouldn't be talking about it.

Obviously HP was inward looking on purpose when it was built (context is everything.....right Voice of Reason?)

I think the future of HP is to open the mall up to as many areas surrounding the mall. That means demo-ing some buildings on the site that site around the perimeter and all as many people as possible to flood into the mall from anywhere along the perimeter. Opening up the Broadway side of HP seems like the cheapest way (given the economy) to open the mall up and allow direct site lines to the main entrance. If you read the comments posted by the public in the UT you might throw up in your mouth like I did.

Opening up the North side of the mall will give the city it's yet-to-be-defined center city open space. where does the city gather and protest? This will be THE place. restoring the fountain to it's original state is a great thing too. Now if we can just get the US Grant to restore their courtyard to mirror the fountain....

Many great things are planned for HP, but if any of these (including demo-ing the Post Modernist eye sore on the corner of Broadway and 4Th) better get rolling soon cause the Horton Plaza PAC expires in a few years. Bad timing with the economy.

tommaso Nov 8, 2010 6:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Derek (Post 4997699)
I got stuck on a jury so I snapped this shot of the new courthouse from the skywalk between the Hall of Justice and the County Courthouse. It's not significant I know. It's from my iPhone. I was just thinking of you guys. :D

http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/l...r/IMG_0025.jpg

Could we have an update of this lovely shot? Thank you :)

Derek Nov 8, 2010 8:45 PM

Yeah...if my trial was still going on. :P

Actually, anybody could just walk into the courthouse whenever they want...so you could actually see if for yourself if you wanted. (But who would go out of their way to go inside the courthouse?) :D

SDfan Nov 9, 2010 12:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kpexpress (Post 5047046)
When did this ugly ass fin aesthetic sweep our skyline? I hate all the lame ass fins in the skyline...apart from Pinnacle Museum Tower. it's cheap looking and a worthless excuse of finishing off the top of towers (AVRP is notorious for NOT doing.....cough cough Smart Corner). It doesn't cost a lot to elegantly finish off the tower, couldn't be more than a wasteful fin. I wish the fin on this one was removed all together and accentuate the contemporary roof line (the slightly inverted V). I think that would be a better option and cost less.

Props to the green roofs. Not a fan of the neon green light scheme. Allegro works...sort of, but I think it's because that tower is so slender and better proportions. The fin on the green one doesn't do much to downplay the already stubby proportions that are not working in It's favor.

Love the materials though. This building has been approved by CCDC real estate committee, and will go before the CCAC Nov 10.

But the fin makes everything look so hip and cool, its the Vancouver look that everyone wants!

Just Kidding, I am sick of the design as well, but again, at least its in a new direction! I feel like this is very much like the rest of San Diego, small steps towards a brighter(?) future...

And, any other details as to HP's future, or is all locked up KGB-style?

SDfan Nov 9, 2010 1:00 AM

Oh, and a quick question to whomever was the forumer who was working on the engineering phase of the LA-SD high speed rail: Whats going on with that?

Thank you.

HurricaneHugo Nov 9, 2010 6:44 AM

The Portland Beavers (AAA) will move to Escondido in 2012. They'll play in Tucson for the time being.

Nice.

SDfan Nov 10, 2010 6:41 AM

^^ Out of all the cities in the county they had to pick Escondido...

kpexpress Nov 10, 2010 8:02 AM

So what are people's thoughts on the Horton Plaza demo plan? Going before the CCAC tomorrow...

kpexpress Nov 10, 2010 8:09 AM

Convention Center Expansion news. I'm sure everyone has seen this, what are you thoughts on it?

Although I hate the idea of 'thickening' the berlin-wall-of-a-barrier I think this does add a new attribute that the public will love - elevated view platform/green roof park!

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/2...ter-expansion/

SD_Phil Nov 10, 2010 9:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kpexpress (Post 5049801)
So what are people's thoughts on the Horton Plaza demo plan? Going before the CCAC tomorrow...

I wouldn't cry too much over it. The Horton Plaza had it's time and it served a crucial purpose for the revitalization of DTSD but that time has come and gone...BUT I really want to see what the replacement plans are in more detail. Something needs to be built there that fills the needs of both locals (affordable housing) and tourists (bars, shopping, restaurants, clubs). The Gaslamp does this, I know, but it's a pretty niche place (at least at night).

SDfan Nov 10, 2010 7:11 PM

Well, I like the park space for sure. I hope the design of the tower isn't so boxy though, although it would match up with the Hilton pretty well if it was.

Also, did anyone else notice that park seems to elevate upwards as it heads down the convention center? If its not just an optical illusion then that's going to be great place to take skyline pics.

I wonder what happened to the hotel planned for the marina that faces the convention center?

As for Horton, eh. I think its a bit odd to have that building sitting pretty much alone in a large plaza. Opening up the mall is important, but how are they going to make up for the lost retail space?

dl3000 Nov 11, 2010 12:28 AM

Robinsons building demo would be great. They can expand the park aspect of Horton Plaza to something like San Francisco's Union Square and make it a focal point in downtown.

Convention Center looks good, I just didn't like the public art that was in the renderings but I think those already exist, at least the red thing I think does.

I read on signonsandiego that a Lane Field Park was also approved as a concession for the lack of Oval Park in the North Embarcadero plan. That could be good too. Yay parks, these type of parks are kinda lacking in downtown (Balboa is in a different league of park).

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/2...rk-lane-field/

kpexpress Nov 11, 2010 9:00 AM

in RE: to Horton Plaza demo work, the key is to convince the public that $0 will come from the general fund to pay for this, and Westfield is donating $1 Million to Balboa Theater, Lyceum Theater, and a Homeless Shelter (divided to all three). And Westfield will maintain the whole park (including Irvin Gill fountain) for 25 years - again no money from the general fund.

And remember, the renderings are not the final design - they are just an artist rendering. A slew of public workshops will be held to form the design, and the historic building left in the plaza will have cafes and restaurants on the plaza (would be great for lunch) and LIMITS only 1200 sqft of kiosks (max 4) in the plaza.

This will be amazing for downtown - think Bryant Park, Union Square (SF), etc. This city needs this and HOrton needs it more.

SDfan Nov 11, 2010 5:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kpexpress (Post 5051253)
in RE: to Horton Plaza demo work, the key is to convince the public that $0 will come from the general fund to pay for this, and Westfield is donating $1 Million to Balboa Theater, Lyceum Theater, and a Homeless Shelter (divided to all three). And Westfield will maintain the whole park (including Irvin Gill fountain) for 25 years - again no money from the general fund.

And remember, the renderings are not the final design - they are just an artist rendering. A slew of public workshops will be held to form the design, and the historic building left in the plaza will have cafes and restaurants on the plaza (would be great for lunch) and LIMITS only 1200 sqft of kiosks (max 4) in the plaza.

This will be amazing for downtown - think Bryant Park, Union Square (SF), etc. This city needs this and HOrton needs it more.

I like hearing this idea, but I have real concerns over homeless issues and design. San Diego tends to do a terrible job of both. Why am I imagining the current Horton Square but quadrupled in size with bag ladies and schizophrenics walking around aimlessly on a concrete/post-modern tragedy?

I'm not saying that this a bad idea, but this needs to be done the RIGHT way, and I'm not sure if this city is every really able to do anything the right way.

I really, really, really hope this works out, because we do need a space like the ones you've described.

And why am I surprised that Westfield is so willing to do all of this? Is this part of a long term strategy?

eburress Nov 11, 2010 7:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kpexpress (Post 5051253)

Lord. Let's get people who know nothing about design, city planning, or how to tie their own shoes help form the design. That has never not worked.