SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=223)
-   -   [Dartmouth] The Avery | ? m | 5 fl | Completed (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=209215)

Keith P. Jan 14, 2014 2:35 AM

[Dartmouth] The Avery | ? m | 5 fl | Completed

This apparently was just announced tonight. Developer is the Annapolis Group, certainly a reputable bunch. I like the look. Still very preliminary, not a lot of info on the site yet.

http://theavery.ca/

http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/l...psfc755a4c.jpg

Dmajackson Jan 14, 2014 2:51 AM

Thanks for finding that Keith. Its the proposal we've been calling The Belmont Condos. It's on Alderney Drive in Dartmouth.

It's a bit short for being on the main drag downtown but other than that this looks like a great infill project. :tup:

someone123 Jan 14, 2014 4:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dmajackson (Post 6405456)
It's a bit short for being on the main drag downtown

Is this an as-of-right development? That might be why.

I'm pleasantly surprised by the design, and this is one of those empty lots that's been sitting there for ages.

counterfactual Jan 14, 2014 4:08 AM

Could use some more height, but not a bad looking proposal!

JET Jan 14, 2014 3:32 PM

what is odd is that the location shows that it is South of North Street, which is where the parking is next to the Belmomt; I was thinking that it was North of North Street, which is where I thought I saw the Avery sign this morning; I will have to check tomorrow.

IanWatson Jan 14, 2014 4:11 PM

That's a pretty decent design, though the panel design on the end looks pretty commercial or institutional. I guess it reminds me of the Mona Campbell building at Dal.

I'm fine with the height. Downtown Dartmouth has a ton of opportunity sites so I don't think the demand or necessity is there yet to be pushing for skyscrapers.

RyeJay Jan 14, 2014 7:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IanWatson (Post 6405903)
Downtown Dartmouth has a ton of opportunity sites so I don't think the demand or necessity is there yet to be pushing for skyscrapers.

King's Wharf thinks otherwise, perhaps.

JET Jan 14, 2014 7:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RyeJay (Post 6406178)
King's Wharf thinks otherwise, perhaps.

I thought that he was putting emphasis on 'there', in that there isn't demand/necessity THERE (that location) for skyscrapers, with other identified opportunity sites currently avaialble

worldlyhaligonian Jan 14, 2014 9:17 PM

Looks fantastic! Its not all about height, but height should not be the determining factor.

Great design... no faux. Fine by me.

IanWatson Jan 14, 2014 9:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JET (Post 6406222)
I thought that he was putting emphasis on 'there', in that there isn't demand/necessity THERE (that location) for skyscrapers, with other identified opportunity sites currently avaialble

Yes, that was my meaning. Thanks!

I'm all for Kings Wharf, and I really hope the amendments pass. And downtown Dartmouth is becoming a hot place, so demand is happening, but not at the level that will use up all of the opportunities anytime soon. When you look at Kings Wharf + Dartmouth Cove + the WDC-1 lot + Irish Town Rd. + all of the smaller projects on the books + vacant lots and surface parking there are probably decades worth of opportunity.

In determining whether we should be upset the developer built now at six stories instead of holding out for ten or more we have to ask if filling up the gaps now is more important than getting the perfect building. I think in Dartmouth's case it is.

Smaller projects like these, built right now, will also bring needed vitality right now, which could spur demand for bigger things. I also see them as defusing some of the tension over changes to the downtown that arise from some of the larger projects.

OldDartmouthMark Jan 15, 2014 4:56 PM

I think that'll be a nice addition to the neighborhood I grew up in. It will be nice to see an empty lot disappear and to see the area the move towards residential again. :tup:

This project could help spur interest in more development in the area, which had been becoming somewhat run down in the not too distant past. Nice to see the beginnings of a rebirth for that neighborhood.

JET Jan 15, 2014 5:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JET (Post 6405865)
what is odd is that the location shows that it is South of North Street, which is where the parking is next to the Belmomt; I was thinking that it was North of North Street, which is where I thought I saw the Avery sign this morning; I will have to check tomorrow.

Drove by this morning and it is South of North Street, which is where the parking is next to the Belmomt; I was thinking that it was North of North Street, which looks terrible, and needs to have something going on there.

spaustin Jan 16, 2014 3:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by someone123 (Post 6405513)
Is this an as-of-right development? That might be why.

I'm pleasantly surprised by the design, and this is one of those empty lots that's been sitting there for ages.

I believe it is as-of-right. Under the Dartmouth plan, you're allowed 5 stories in the Downtown Business zone. Not sure of all the ins and outs as to how that's measures, but the Avery sticks to 5 along the grade so it probably fits that. If it wasn't as-of-right, I think HRM would be after them about putting up the sign. If memory serves, you're not allowed to put up a sign for something that's being proposed, but needs council approval to proceed.

willph Mar 10, 2014 1:48 PM

Looks like theavery.ca has a new website/look.

Says Construction starting April 1st....

Dmajackson Mar 26, 2014 2:24 AM

Price list is up on the website. Looks like they are comparable to most other new building with prices starting at $259'000. 9/71 units have been SOLD with others listed as pending.

ns_kid Mar 26, 2014 1:51 PM

Isn't it time to update the "proposed" tag on this project?

kph06 Apr 1, 2014 2:17 PM

Just as the news releases said, excavation work began today.

JET Apr 1, 2014 6:58 PM

the Tim Hortons on Ochterloney is now a parking lot, perhaps related to the Avery site now no longer a parking lot?

kph06 Apr 1, 2014 9:11 PM

Today by me:

https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3738/...8060f224_b.jpg

Colin May Apr 2, 2014 7:26 PM

[QUOTE=kph06;6521939]Today by me:

HRM thinks 15 storeys oppsite The Avery will be just fine and that is why they changed the viewplanes. Buyers beware !