SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Canada (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   The Great Canadian Sports Attendance, Marketing and TV Ratings Thread (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=228928)

thurmas Nov 4, 2022 12:49 PM

On Radio-Canada this morning Quebec City mayor Bruno Marchand open to the city bidding on the 2030 winter Olympics since British Columbia bowed out earlier this month. This would likely be Canada's last chance at getting a 10th large stadium built in the country and providing the capability of adding a 10 th CFL franchise.

esquire Nov 4, 2022 1:26 PM

Let's get real... there's always another chance.

elly63 Nov 4, 2022 6:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thurmas (Post 9781277)
On Radio-Canada this morning Quebec City mayor Bruno Marchand open to the city bidding on the 2030 winter Olympics since British Columbia bowed out earlier this month. This would likely be Canada's last chance at getting a 10th large stadium built in the country and providing the capability of adding a 10 th CFL franchise.

I see what you are saying about the stadium as a venue for opening and closing ceremonies (a la Calgary 88) but I think the time for that idea has passed. Also, curious about if the question has been answered about where the downhill will be. Unless they do a major project there is no hill in Quebec high enough.

thurmas Nov 4, 2022 6:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elly63 (Post 9781650)
I see what you are saying about the stadium as a venue for opening and closing ceremonies (a la Calgary 88) but I think the time for that idea has passed. Also, curious about if the question has been answered about where the downhill will be. Unless they do a major project there is no hill in Quebec high enough.

Way too early and preliminary to know could be a provincial bid using mont tremblant. Every Olympics has a stadium for ceremonies that i think would have to be done as peps laval stadium is not suitable

MonctonRad Nov 4, 2022 6:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elly63 (Post 9781650)

https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/i...zDwwcmmUxBPZ1Z

There are always solutions at hand. A few dozen metres of fill at the summit of Mont Ste-Anne could make all the difference in the world. :)

Of course, to sooth local sensitivities, we could remove the reference to "Englishman" in the above movie poster and replace it with "pur laine Quebecois"....... :runaway:

TorontoDrew Nov 4, 2022 6:18 PM

I wish we would stop wasting our tax dollars on Olympics and Olympic Bids. I do think QC would be a great host though.

MonctonRad Nov 4, 2022 6:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TorontoDrew (Post 9781664)
I wish we would stop wasting our tax dollars on Olympics and Olympic Bids. I do think QC would be a great host though.

All kidding aside, I think QC would be a fantastic venue for a Winter Olympic Games. I would support it.

Acajack Nov 4, 2022 6:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MonctonRad (Post 9781658)
https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/i...zDwwcmmUxBPZ1Z

There are always solutions at hand. A few dozen metres of fill at the summit of Mont Ste-Anne could make all the difference in the world. :)

:

I believe the mountain in question was Le Massif at Petite-Rivière-Saint-François* in Charlevoix county.

*Think of how awesome that name would sound in international broadcasts!

Apparently Le Massif is missing about 70 metres which is something that could be done to make it suitable for the Olympics.

There are other places that could also be suitable but that don't have ski hills at the moment, like the Acropole des Draveurs also in Charlevoix (Google the name for incredible pictures) and even the Monts Chics-Chocs in the Gaspésie. Though the latter is quite some distance away.

elly63 Nov 4, 2022 7:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Acajack (Post 9781690)
I believe the mountain in question was Le Massif at Petite-Rivière-Saint-François* in Charlevoix county.

*Think of how awesome that name would sound in international broadcasts!

Apparently Le Massif is missing about 70 metres which is something that could be done to make it suitable for the Olympics.

There are other places that could also be suitable but that don't have ski hills at the moment, like the Acropole des Draveurs also in Charlevoix (Google the name for incredible pictures) and even the Monts Chics-Chocs in the Gaspésie. Though the latter is quite some distance away.

You are correct about Le Massif if my memory serves and also if my memory serves it isn't as easy an engineering project as dropping some fill. Didn't the last talk of a Quebec bid include holding the Alpine events out west or in upstate New York (my memory might be faulty there)

Acajack Nov 4, 2022 7:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elly63 (Post 9781786)
You are correct about Le Massif if my memory serves and also if my memory serves it isn't as easy an engineering project as dropping some fill. Didn't the last talk of a Quebec bid include holding the Alpine events out west or in upstate New York (my memory might be faulty there)

Yes, it may have been raised.

I could get behind a Quebec City bid in spite of my serious misgivings about the IOC, but not if it includes venues in NY State, for example.

If we host them here, let's host them here.

blueandgoldguy Nov 4, 2022 7:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JHikka (Post 9779474)
If they're anything like the rest of the US major sports league they'll continue to rise. Likewise, if growth valuations decline or stall in other major sports leagues they'll do the same as MLS. It doesn't exist in a vacuum.

No league is as speculative in terms of franchise valuation as MLS. They expanded from 10 teams to 29 teams in less than 20 years. They rely on ever-increasing expansion fees to boost league revenues and mitigate losses. Their other revenue sources (tv, jersey sponsors, stadium naming rights, gate revenue) simply do not justify their values at this point.

A day of reckoning is likely coming when those expansion fees dry up..unless the league can significantly increase their revenues at that point.

JHikka Nov 4, 2022 7:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blueandgoldguy (Post 9781810)
No league is as speculative in terms of franchise valuation as MLS.

Sports franchise values are overwhelming pinned on growth forecasts. MLS growth forecasts continue to be strong due in part to the US hosting the 2026 World Cup and the assumed knock-on affects of that event. If billionaires continue to want to buy-in to the league then valuations will continue to reflect that.

Quote:

They expanded from 10 teams to 29 teams in less than 20 years. They rely on ever-increasing expansion fees to boost league revenues and mitigate losses. Their other revenue sources (tv, jersey sponsors, stadium naming rights, gate revenue) simply do not justify their values at this point.

See above.

Quote:

A day of reckoning is likely coming when those expansion fees dry up..unless the league can significantly increase their revenues at that point.

This has been said here for the past five years and yet the league continues to march on, growing and growing and growing...

blueandgoldguy Nov 4, 2022 7:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by esquire (Post 9779496)
That's a fair comment. To some extent, MLS proved that soccer could prosper in Canada and paved the way for the CPL. But I wouldn't say that the current model is the best one going forward.

Not having the three largest cities in the country fully engaged with the biggest domestic league will limit the ceiling for the CPL and hinder its potential as a development tool.

I mean, I realize Canada is playing the hand that it was dealt, but I doubt anyone would hold up the current model as an example of how to do it. The best you can say for it is that it kinda works. And maybe that's good enough, but it's certainly not ideal.

and right now Edmonton's CPL team is in danger of folding or relocating after a year of league ownership. Not exactly an ideal situation.

MonctonRad Nov 4, 2022 7:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Acajack (Post 9781806)
I could get behind a Quebec City bid in spite of my serious misgivings about the IOC, but not if it includes venues in NY State, for example.

If we host them here, let's host them here.

I agree 100%, especially since the alpine events figure so prominently in the Winter Olympics.

esquire Nov 4, 2022 7:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blueandgoldguy (Post 9781818)
and right now Edmonton's CPL team is in danger of folding or relocating after a year of league ownership. Not exactly an ideal situation.

In fairness, with a totally new league, you'll probably have a dud team or two. I'm sure they'll try again with Edmonton if the current iteration ultimately sinks.

JHikka Nov 4, 2022 8:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by esquire (Post 9781836)
In fairness, with a totally new league, you'll probably have a dud team or two. I'm sure they'll try again with Edmonton if the current iteration ultimately sinks.

There's a few mitigating issues with FCEd but one of them is territorial rights and the ownership of the Faths. The CPL has had interested parties approach them for the team but they were offered mostly low-ball offers of around $1M whereas the league values the team and market at $9M. A lot of that value comes down to the ownership structure of the league as it relates to CSB and CSA.

If the league starts with seven/eight teams and only one is in an ownership bubble then that's probably not too bad. Edmonton will get sorted out eventually, whether it's folding the team temporarily or forging forward with what's there now. There's obviously appetite in Edmonton for soccer. The rest of the teams all seem to be more-or-less fine from an ownership standpoint.

TimB09 Nov 7, 2022 3:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by esquire (Post 9781836)

Soccer just doesn't seem to do well in Edmonton.

The Brickmen of the 80's
The indoor Drillers
Multiple teams playing at Clark Stadium

Not sure what the winning formula is here but it hasn't worked in multiple leagues and decades.

Acajack Nov 7, 2022 3:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TimB09 (Post 9783780)
Soccer just doesn't seem to do well in Edmonton.

The Brickmen of the 80's
The indoor Drillers
Multiple teams playing at Clark Stadium

Not sure what the winning formula is here but it hasn't worked in multiple leagues and decades.

Edmonton has been great at supporting the MNT and WNT games, though.

TimB09 Nov 7, 2022 4:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Acajack (Post 9783793)
Edmonton has been great at supporting the MNT and WNT games, though.

One off's are good here, sure. But anything that seems to be a seasons worth of games has failed for multiple reasons (poor ownership, attendance, lack of interest, etc.).

EpicPonyTime Nov 9, 2022 1:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JHikka (Post 9781859)
they were offered mostly low-ball offers of around $1M whereas the league values the team and market at $9M.

Me thinks the CPL is gonna have to take a loss on this one if they want to sell the team. If I was a prospective buyer, there's no way I would pay 9 million for the Eddies, Edmonton market be damned. :haha:

Sell the team for a loss and let the owner spend the remainder on the team.