SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Google Sketchup (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=159)
-   -   San Felix, Sketchup city (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=134253)

neilofSD May 8, 2008 2:37 AM

The SimCity view was cool, I really liked 3k, and that shot made me sort of feel nostalgic. I remember creating an earthquake in my city, and then seeing the ridge it created through my city. That was awesome.

My Favorite building would be echo, I really just like the design of it. Also, I really like the last two shots from post #981, they look realistically real.

Also, 1000th reply! (Maybe the 1001st post, but I got the 1000th reply!

Austin55 May 8, 2008 2:48 AM

832 more posts till we beat staunton! come on guys,post! lol,JK.

But wow,2nd most replied to thread here! I dint think I would beat PD,but its kinda lulling out. I feel likea post whore...:P

Special thanks to,
Mocholate
Aleks0o01
Dac150
Patrick
Peter
rbowk
foxmtbr
verticalextropy
treras93
Derek loves SD
FlyersFan118
CGII
Tanster
sad face
akres15
neilofSD
FREKI
[SP]Neo
BoiseAirport
Xeelee
heyyoucharlie
DanE008

For all thier contrubutions,big and small,to help me get better and thanks for stickin with me through it all! I hope to return the favor!:banana:

now its party time!

:omg:
:notacrook: :5: :righton: :dancing: :leek: :thrasher: :upload_71700: :awesome: :drummer: :rock: :boogy: !!!!

Peter May 8, 2008 3:15 AM

Congrats for sticking with San Felix for so long. It has come a long way. :tup: :cheers:

treras93 May 8, 2008 4:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Austin55 (Post 3537537)
832 more posts till we beat staunton! come on guys,post! lol,JK.

But wow,2nd most replied to thread here! I dint think I would beat PD,but its kinda lulling out. I feel likea post whore...:P

Special thanks to,
Mocholate
Aleks0o01
Dac150
Patrick
Peter
rbowk
foxmtbr
verticalextropy
treras93
Derek loves SD
FlyersFan118
CGII
Tanster
sad face
akres15
neilofSD
FREKI
[SP]Neo
BoiseAirport
Xeelee
heyyoucharlie
DanE008

For all thier contrubutions,big and small,to help me get better and thanks for stickin with me through it all! I hope to return the favor!:banana:

No problem. i think we're all glad to help.:tup: cant wit to see what San Felix has in store for us

Austin55 May 12, 2008 1:19 AM

Nothing new but,

ok,I want to know what you would like to see new in the city,not pictures,but actaul things,do you guys want more malls,museams,parks,architecture,what do you guys wanna see? the main reson for my asking is this is my city,but its almost to much me,I want some diversity,you know?:shrug:

pics thoughout next week hopefully:yes:

Dac150 May 12, 2008 1:35 AM

Yes, good job in sticking with San Felix. It's always been one of my favorite cities.

As far as what I'd want to see, I'd say make a port or an airport. That seems to be the new trend amongst the SSP cities. A city the size of San Felix could use both. It'd be cool to see what you come up with.

Austin55 May 12, 2008 1:49 AM

hmmm,thanks for the suggestion,I do have plans on bringing back the little canal from the old days,and theres an abandond naval base south of the marine building,but I had planned a port and an O'Hare sytled thing a little ways south,I PMed somebody about along time ago. I think Ill do that,ohh and more postmodern lowrise boxes are coming soon.(like galcorp,the two with the little atrium)

Patrick May 12, 2008 2:11 AM

Could you do a diagram? Thad be intresting.

Austin55 May 12, 2008 2:16 AM

yeah no problem.,I was planning on a tour sorta thing,so Ill prbably put that out first.

Also,I will get new trees,the oaks that I got were in the popular secton on 3d warehouse,so I just grabbed em,turns out thier the same thing staunton has,pure coincidence.

Aleks May 12, 2008 5:26 AM

Well HURRY! Now. JayKay. A tour would be great. With like 10 pictures and some history/facts about the building you will show.

Peter May 12, 2008 5:49 AM

Here are some suggestions:

An iconic bridge
An outward spread of smaller buildings
Rail lines and stations, elevated and/or level
Vast suburbs
a Zoo?

[SP]Neo May 13, 2008 12:05 AM

maybe an airport for san felix or a big park.

Austin55 May 13, 2008 12:34 AM

well,the Miegs styled airport is underway, Ive been having lots of fun with it thus far.

SanFelix has lots of parks,mostly big ones

That big park in the middle,no name
the one on the end of the penninsula,no name
and the parke that is on the edge of the beaches

alo,I had plans for san felixs branch of the California High speed rail,with several stops and tracks,one just outside downtown,one across the bay and another in a opening up subabrban area,but thats subject to change.

Quote:

An iconic bridge
An outward spread of smaller buildings
Rail lines and stations, elevated and/or level
Vast suburbs
of course! another bridge is coming soon(suspension) and ofcourse there will be smaller buildings and burbs in the future,probbly along way off though.

Zoo,now thatd be cool, but hard, Maybe an indoor zoo though:P

possibly a university to.

verticalextropy May 13, 2008 1:41 AM

hehe, congrats on San Felix, it's a l already a landmark in this niche.

[SP]Neo May 13, 2008 8:26 PM

a new bridge will be very nice! are you still working on it or is it already finished??

btw: are you no longer working on the "classic american skyscraper models"?
because they were really great and i would love to see a few more...

Aleks May 14, 2008 10:32 PM

I agree with the bridge and zoo idea. The zoo would take up hella memory though so it might not be best to add.

Austin55 May 18, 2008 8:36 PM

Skyscraper Tour

yeeeeh!so,I wil show some of San Felixs most improtant buildings,parks,attractions,landmarks,etc,But here are some Skyscrapers.

Navy Building

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x...in5555/n-1.jpg

Built in the Construction boom of the 70's and early 80's,(actually,the building started construction in 1968) the Navy building was named for it San Felix's watery presence,and to honor the US Navy.Its offset Star shape with a pyrimid on top made it a noticable building in at the time of its construction. It was a famous landmark on the park,and one of the tallest buidlings at its completion. The building is Directly connected to a hotel next door. in 1990with several tenants leaving,thier was a consideration to convert 40% of the building into condos,but the tenants wanted to stay were they were,so the plan fell thorugh. In 2008,the building still remains an improtant part of the skyline,and helps draw hundreds of workers and there familys to nearby locations.

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x...tin5555/n2.jpg

San Felix Civic Center

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x...tin5555/cv.jpg

the Civic center was built and funded (with a little corparate help) by the city of san felix. The Civic center was constructed so that the city had most important things in a single building,with a good,central location. the Civic center contains A Jail,Hospital,City Museam,Parks,Homeless shelter,police and fire stations,hospital,Transit maitinece center,and other noncity attractions,such as restraunts and a mall. All of these things are in the podium,the tower it self serves as a office building and hotel,with an ocean view deck and restraunt/bar at the top,and a outdoor pavilion on the podiumroof where the tower has a large cutout,where it is usaully used for bayfront dining,but it is also rentable space for parties and weddings. the citizens of San Felix have taken use of the building since it was built,and provides several important amenities that wouldent fit in City Hall.

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x.../cc2-1-1-1.jpg

Thats all for now! hope my typing made some sense:P

Personal boring news,Im going to be at school from 7am to 7pm everyday next week for band stuff,So I wouldent expect any more tours in awile. There is,howevar,an upside,all of the remaining school weeks are 4 day weeks,nothing but 3 day weekends left!! its gone by so fast!

Austin55 May 20, 2008 3:06 AM

nothing?

Aleks May 20, 2008 10:10 PM

Ugh. Why is it that everyone down in the South gets out of school early?

Anyways, I like the Civic Center more than the Navy Building. The base and main tower makes the Civic Center look nice. There's only one problem. A city like San Felix would need a very large hospital. I don't think the podium is big enough. Specially with the jail, museum, mall, etc... Maybe the hospital and jail should get their own buildings each. It would be better for tourists and better for people who need to get to the hospital faster. Plus people are usually scared of jails so that would decrease the people visiting the Civic Center.

Austin55 May 21, 2008 2:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aleks0o01 (Post 3564278)
Ugh. Why is it that everyone down in the South gets out of school early?

Because were farmers,and we gotta harvest our crops:D

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aleks0o01 (Post 3564278)
Anyways, I like the Civic Center more than the Navy Building. The base and main tower makes the Civic Center look nice. There's only one problem. A city like San Felix would need a very large hospital. I don't think the podium is big enough. Specially with the jail, museum, mall, etc... Maybe the hospital and jail should get their own buildings each. It would be better for tourists and better for people who need to get to the hospital faster. Plus people are usually scared of jails so that would decrease the people visiting the Civic Center.

well,the hospital is more of a clinic,James L. Mercer is the main Downtown hospital,but there will be a medical campus in the burbs. the Jail is underground and Max security,plus its mostly used for holdig people before prosocution or going to another,more remote jail. Axe/Chainsaw murders and terrirosts arent held here,usaully assult,thieft,etc kinda people are thrown here. Also,the Civic Center is really not a tourist spot,Its mostly just a hometown club for San Felixinaits,like a hometown hangout.

verticalextropy May 21, 2008 2:53 AM

I really like the Navy Building! Well done Austin

Austin55 May 22, 2008 3:27 PM

Bank of America Tower

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x...in5555/b-4.jpg
Bank of America from the park,along with Mocholate and another building

three years after BOA built its first SF building,the building was heavily dameged in a fire,BOA sold the building and left the city for a year. then BOA began planning its next building in San Felix,right on the park. the building began contruction in 1979 and opened in 1981. during construction,while working on the fifth floor,a small 150' portable crane collapsed injuring 8 people,but noone was killed. the building has a rectangular shape with softented sides going almost all the way up,until setbacks come out on the sides and then ending in a curving glass crown. it has a solid glass,elongated pyrimid atrium at the base. many people dont like the builing,saying it doesnt fit together with itself,is boring,but atleast it kinda blends in to the skyline. Bank of America does not occupy the entire building,only about 30% is owned by them. 40% is owned by smaller bussines with a wide variety of jobs.the remain 30% is mostly unnocuipied.

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x...n5555/b2-3.jpg
BOA blends in,shot from over the backstreet district

Mocholate Building
http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x...tin5555/m2.jpg
The building from its entrance
(umm,you guys have to play along with the history here,lol)
After a forumer on Skyscraperpage.com requsted that a building be named after him(several other forumers have building with either thier name or thier companies name in the city,Aleks 0o1,Dac 150,Patrick,Foxmtbr,and peter).the building started construction in 1990. Desighned as a glassy black sharp office building. the building has an amazingly sharp profile,coming to a point in an arrow shape,but the building is just straght lines in a unique shape.from some angles,it has a very long apperiance. 60% of the building is offices,while the rest is condos. at the time it was being built,the commercial market was slowing down,so it was decided to use a good chunk of the building as condos. the tower is fully occupied,with only a few units being empty. At the base it the old SSP shoping mall,which the building was built over and left intact,though it could have been demolished but the desighners wanted to keep a historic feel. With several different shopping chains,but also the only SSP Store(there is an internet store aswell) the SSP fountin is just outside the mall. Its location on the end of the park and just next to the aquarium is vital to its succes. it is a popular gathering,living,shopping and working place for San Felixines.

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x...in5555/m-1.jpg
The building sharp profile is a common sight on Memorial Street

yay,thats all for now. acyuall updates and more tours soon!

Austin55 May 22, 2008 7:34 PM

OK,possibly a big annocuncment.

I am seriosly considering pretty muchly starting over on San Felix. Why?

1.My grid sucks
2.My layout sucks
3.my lack of street detail sucks
4.my lack of building detail sucks
5.im redoing the buildings anyway.

SO,if this happens,I will have a whole new grid,possibly an overlay like what patrick did with manhatten. Im seriosly considering using Sydney,but my own style. the density is terrible,unrealistci. the skyline will stay,for the most part,the same. the buildings will to. its not a total restart,imm keeping this,but just a reorginization,spring cleaning thing thing. I will probably continue updating the current one,just not adding new things,to keep you guys interested.

I need your opinions

[SP]Neo May 22, 2008 7:44 PM

sounds good..although it's only a small restart you still have the option to delete old stuff or improve it. so you will kepp all buildings or only your best ones?

btw: whats about the "classic american skyscraper models" thread? is it dead?

Austin55 May 22, 2008 7:46 PM

yeah,no good building will be deleted.

uhh,more on that later...

verticalextropy May 22, 2008 7:53 PM

You've got one of the best cities from page 1. Keep the name, keep the buildings, keep the fame!

1) I paint black the zone i want to develop and then paste the bocks upon it, never actually drawing streets.
2) You need a terrain. Staunton, Scottsburg, Otahita and Mulligan are all based off real terrains
3) really?
4-5) I recycle some buildings, trash others, build new ones....

Austin55 May 22, 2008 7:57 PM

opps

Austin55 May 25, 2008 1:23 AM

does anyone have any more opinions before I really get deep into this? Ill have a presintation ready later tonight.

Aleks May 25, 2008 1:47 AM

I like the Mocholate building more than the BoAT. The Mocholate building looks fat from one side and then it turns into a skinny, sleek building. Nice. BoAT doesn't but I like the roof and the shape of it. The colors are little too sad though. :(

Dac150 May 25, 2008 1:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Austin55 (Post 3568587)
OK,possibly a big annocuncment.

You can do one of two things:

1. Don't. Take some time to evaluate what you have and see how you can make it better. Add on what you think will work and take away what doesn't. Build off of what has been a success amongst the forum and incorporate it into your new ideas.

2. Do it. Make a plan and make that plan organized. Make the older city the architect of the new one in the sense of building off of what didn't work into something that will. Know your ideas prior to executing the design.

Whichever route you go, I'm sure the city will turn out fine.:yes:

Patrick May 25, 2008 10:01 AM

I think you should, simple as that. Look how many times Dac150 has restarted on his cities, Aleks150 has started a couple times, I've redone Staunton 3 times completly, each one better than the last, I'm very satisfied with the results, so I think you should definantly start over fresh.

Plus plenty of time soon, summer!

Austin55 May 25, 2008 4:31 PM

Ok so last night I experimented with it,and I think its gonna work out

(thats what she said!:P :rolleyes: )

I removed all the grids and the city runs soooo fast!! omigosh I love it!! saves in under 15 seconds!!!

This is not an update,I know it looks like one,but the pics are old

So,
http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x...5555/syd-2.jpg

1-Historic waterfront area,just like now. The beaches will stay.
2-you know al the buildings on the bay side?
http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x...5555/cc2-1.jpg

Well,most of those will be moved completely over to that little bay with the number 2. Marine will be front and center.

3-Yes,That will be a big park,the bayfront buildings will now be parkside,Galcorp and friends,etc will be on a park,so people wont have to worry about falling into the ocean.

4-Downtown-pretty much the same,with some changes

5-SHOPS,MINI CONVENTION CENTER,MALLS,Caps lock oh my!!

6-port

7-suburbs of all types,winding down into hills where rich celebritys have there 3rd homes.

So,any questions,comments,concerns?

Austin55 May 25, 2008 6:08 PM

Update-from the park-#3 on the map above. Lookin good so far

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x...in5555/258.jpg

Austin55 May 26, 2008 3:45 AM

some stuffs

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x...in5555/260.jpg

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x...in5555/259.jpg

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x...in5555/261.jpg

Aleks May 26, 2008 7:27 AM

wow, i love the colors. those tress are like hd.did the mochocolate building get new lettering?

Austin55 May 27, 2008 2:50 AM

OMG ,is anyone here an expert on grids? I cant seem to get it right. argghhhh its bugging me to no end

Maybe I should just stay away from SF for a few weeks...

treras93 May 27, 2008 2:52 AM

:previous: what problems are you having?

So far its really nice, cant wait for more

Austin55 May 27, 2008 2:55 AM

It just doesnt look right,and it boring and plain,And I just dunno what to do.?

Austin55 May 27, 2008 2:58 AM

Also-What aspects do you guys think are unrealistic? are the glass colors overdone? is ther to many highrises? are the colors bad? do the buildings have enough detail?ETC ETC.PLEASE be harsh,cause I wanna know whats wrong,and what needs to be fixed.

treras93 May 27, 2008 3:12 AM

IDK maybe add some more roof details, spire antennas, etc.

can we have an overview just so we can see what you meant by the grid looking bad

Austin55 May 27, 2008 3:16 AM

Ok,tommorow though.

treras93 May 27, 2008 3:18 AM

alright, thanks

Austin55 May 27, 2008 3:23 AM

Do you have anything to say in regards to post 1039?

treras93 May 27, 2008 3:29 AM

i think all that stuff is great, i dont think the color scheme is to much at all

except with the center building in 1034. i think its too plain and i think the colors are a bit too bright.

also is James tower coming back, i dont see it anywher, and that was my fav building

Patrick May 27, 2008 4:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Austin55 (Post 3576227)
Also-What aspects do you guys think are unrealistic? are the glass colors overdone? is ther to many highrises? are the colors bad? do the buildings have enough detail?ETC ETC.PLEASE be harsh,cause I wanna know whats wrong,and what needs to be fixed.

Austin55, alot of these buildings are just too plain and half-assed, this is why San Felix isnt very realaistic.

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x...in5555/261.jpg

- 2nd building from the left, has got to go, it is very plain and its textures are unrealalistic.

- The two postmodern buildings after that one are GREAT, we need more buildings with nice textures like those. THESE are the kind of buildings we need.

- The big brown building by Galcorp also has to go, or at least get better textures, maybe keep the massing, but ajust the textures.

I think one of your biggest problems is ajusting textures:

The building on the left is just a box with textures slapped on it. The building on the right, is the same building, just with a base and top, a simple glass texture, and a logo to spice things up.

http://i28.tinypic.com/2we9c35.jpg

See the difference? Its really easy to turn a building from crap to perfect, despite the building's size, every building in your city will need detail, it adds up, notice how every building in Staunton has detail, each building has a base texture, and roof equipment.

Austin55 May 27, 2008 9:47 PM

Thank you SO much patrick,this is definantly always been my problem,and I agree totaly. thanks for that. Im kinda confused though,

Quote:

- 2nd building from the left, has got to go, it is very plain and its textures are unrealalistic.
The blue and white one? or the greenish one?

Quote:

- The big brown building by Galcorp also has to go, or at least get better textures, maybe keep the massing, but ajust the textures.
Then reddish one next door or the one behind it?

I totaly agree with your sample,and I also like the way you took an extra step to 3dify it at the base.

Textures will defiantly be my biggest concern during the redo.

I think I got the grid lookin OK.

treras93 May 27, 2008 10:11 PM

i'm pretty sure he meant these

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/b...Untitled-1.jpg

Aleks May 27, 2008 11:18 PM

I really want to see this city with 2 peninsulas and a bay in between for some reason. It would look really nice.

Peter May 28, 2008 3:37 PM

Roof textures on every building should be one of your next projects for SF. It really makes a difference in realism. They are easy to find, just go take screenshots of roofs similar sized/shaped roofs in Google Earth or Virtual Earth, apply them to the roof, size it, and push and pull the objects like core top, hvac, antennas, ect.

Austin55 May 31, 2008 8:31 PM

Thats what I tink to treres,Thanks.

Yeah Aleks,I bet itll br cool:cool:

Ive been doing that for about a week now,peter;)

Im Impressed with myself:D :cool:

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x...5555/262-2.jpg

the cool thing is,The Sky is my own pic. Thats the way the gorgous texas sky looked like in Fort Worth 10 minutes ago.