SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Southwest (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=643)
-   -   Southwest Coffee Talk (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=173766)

PHX31 Oct 31, 2009 4:50 PM

/\Shaun.

Awesome/hilarious movie.

CraftTeutonic Oct 31, 2009 5:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vicelord John (Post 4533775)
Its gay. Rip off of shawn of the dead. Now thats a zombie movie.

I find both of them to be funny. Its not a rip-off. If anything, shaun of the dead is a rip-off of dawn of the dead with comedy thrown in.

Vicelord John Oct 31, 2009 5:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CraftTeutonic (Post 4533827)
I find both of them to be funny. Its not a rip-off. If anything, shaun of the dead is a rip-off of dawn of the dead with comedy thrown in.

It's called parody, hence the name Shawn of the Dead. Rhymes with Dawn of the Dead. Zombieland is just a lazy American piece of crap. Yeah, I saw it.

PHX31 Oct 31, 2009 6:02 PM

/\ Vicelord, it's Shaun, not Shawn... that's another cool thing about it. It'd be very easy to make a parody called Shawn of the Dead (Shawn = Dawn)... but they chose Shaun instead.

CraftTeutonic Oct 31, 2009 6:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vicelord John (Post 4533846)
It's called parody, hence the name Shawn of the Dead. Rhymes with Dawn of the Dead. Zombieland is just a lazy American piece of crap. Yeah, I saw it.

obviously i know its a parody. i'm saying neither of them is a rip-off. shaun of the dead wasn't even the first zombie comedy btw(the first modern one was actually Return of the Living Dead, an American film). additionally, it can be argued that zombieland takes more of its humor from a michael cera movie than sotd

HooverDam Oct 31, 2009 7:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PHX31 (Post 4533852)
/\ Vicelord, it's Shaun, not Shawn... that's another cool thing about it. It'd be very easy to make a parody called Shawn of the Dead (Shawn = Dawn)... but they chose Shaun instead.

Meh I always thought they stepped on the joke w/ the title of the movie. Dont get me wrong, I like the flick, but the title/marketing shouldnt have given it away. The first 15-20 minutes are just a romantic comedy then it turns and becomes a zombie movie, they shouldve let that be a surprise. Sort of like how the turn in FROM DUSK TILL DAWN which comes out of nowhere (though truth be told I never saw the trailer, maybe they spoiled it there too).

PHX31 Nov 1, 2009 6:19 AM

I'm not really sure what you are saying. I thought it was obviously a zombie movie and they had to incorporate some other stuff to create the entire plot of the movie. And "Shawn" would have been too obvious.

HooverDam Nov 1, 2009 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PHX31 (Post 4534609)
I'm not really sure what you are saying. I thought it was obviously a zombie movie and they had to incorporate some other stuff to create the entire plot of the movie. And "Shawn" would have been too obvious.

Im saying why advertise it as a zombie movie? If you watch the first 15-20 minutes outside of the title there's no hint that its a zombie movie. It just seems like a romantic comedy kinda thing. I like the idea of guys getting dragged to the theaters w/ their girlfriends to see a romantic comedy, then blamo, the ole switchero would take place.

Then after like a week in theaters, word would spread and you could just advertise it truthfully. Now I know this is way too risky of a move for Hollywood whos obsessed with playing it safe and thus would never happen. Even the trailer for "From Dusk Till Dawn" ruins the vampire surprise, but if you went into that movie not knowing what its about, you wouldnt see the vampire thing coming as it doesnt happen until midway through the film.

I guess what Im saying is, trailers/advertising often tell me too much about a movie and ruin some of the surprise. Its why reading a script can be fun, you just see a title and have nothing to go on and everythings a surprise.

PHX31 Nov 1, 2009 4:47 PM

I see what you are saying. That would be pretty cool.

Vicelord John Nov 1, 2009 5:10 PM

Wait. So with a name like shaun of the dead, you dont think anyons would know its a zombie movie? It rhymes with dawn if the dead and when you say it, it doesnt matter if its spelled differently. Its to the point also where anything "of the dead" is obviously a zombie movie.

PhxPavilion Nov 2, 2009 12:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vicelord John (Post 4528372)
:shrug: :shrug: :shrug: :shrug:

and um, all of the cities you named have huge stocks of buildings from pre war era, when people WALKED. Phoenix will never be what you want it to be. Even Denver, look at the newer buildings. They all have huge setbacks and plazas... I was depressed walking from the baseball stadium to the hotel monaco through all the suburban office towers. The dense areas are all rehabbed old buildings.

Sorry, but phoenix doesn't have the option to rehab the old building stock.

Phoenix was on it's way to changing before the economy collapsed and stopped it in its tracks. Whether another boom downtown will ever happen again in the future is the question.

HooverDam Nov 2, 2009 8:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vicelord John (Post 4534969)
Wait. So with a name like shaun of the dead, you dont think anyons would know its a zombie movie? It rhymes with dawn if the dead and when you say it, it doesnt matter if its spelled differently. Its to the point also where anything "of the dead" is obviously a zombie movie.

Im saying I woudlve given it a different title entirely, like I said I think the title/trailer step on the joke/reveal which happens about 20 minutes in.

HooverDam Nov 3, 2009 1:46 AM

So my Dads birthday is coming up and as he's retired and very bored now he keeps talking about wanting to get into vegetable gardening. I was going to buy him some sort of gardening starter kit and some seeds, does anyone know of a good gardening type store in Central Phoenix? I dont think there are any in downtown proper and I know I could just go to Home depot or whatever but Id like to support a local business in Cen Pho if possible.

mwadswor Nov 6, 2009 1:25 AM

Dumb question. Does anyone know if the $8,000 new home buyer tax credit applies only to houses, or does it apply to any mortgage? Would I get the tax credit if I bought a condo?

bwonger06 Nov 6, 2009 2:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mwadswor (Post 4543429)
Dumb question. Does anyone know if the $8,000 new home buyer tax credit applies only to houses, or does it apply to any mortgage? Would I get the tax credit if I bought a condo?

Yes, the credit can be applied if you bought a condo. I say that because if you have not bought one yet, do not bother because you will not be able to close in time to get the credit.

JimInCal Nov 6, 2009 3:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bwonger06 (Post 4543500)
Yes, the credit can be applied if you bought a condo. I say that because if you have not bought one yet, do not bother because you will not be able to close in time to get the credit.

Both Houses of Congress passed a 7 month extension just today, thru April of 2010. Obama still needs to sign it but it looks like a done deal.

http://rismedia.com/2009-11-04/senat...-as-this-week/

Vicelord John Nov 6, 2009 3:51 AM

bad iphone picture out of a moving ride, but this picture shows that downtown has become much larger.

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d6...na/photo-8.jpg

NIXPHX77 Nov 7, 2009 7:51 AM

Hoover, try Southwest Gardener in the cute little shopping center at the SEC of Thomas and 7th ave. i think they might have what you would need.
Otherwise, perhaps try Baker's Nursery, Harper's Nursery, or Whitfill Nursery.

HooverDam Nov 7, 2009 8:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NIXPHX77 (Post 4545824)
Hoover, try Southwest Gardener in the cute little shopping center at the SEC of Thomas and 7th ave. i think they might have what you would need.
Otherwise, perhaps try Baker's Nursery, Harper's Nursery, or Whitfill Nursery.

Thanks, the birthday past. I ended up going to Berridges I think it was called on like Camelback and 40th or so, it worked out just fine.

Leo the Dog Nov 8, 2009 12:16 PM

Anyone else getting the new Modern Warfare 2 game coming out 11/10/09?

I just read an article on AZCentral that it is expected to surpass Darknight in first week of sales (over $155 million!!!) and it is expected to ultimately sell over $500 million worth of units.