SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Canada (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Canadian Airport Thread (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=153826)

thenoflyzone Dec 4, 2022 1:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by caribb (Post 9806285)
I hope this means Avianca will eventually fly to YUL. It’s been rumored in the past on a few occasions.

Avianca could already add daily to YUL if they wanted to. They fly to YYZ daily at the moment, so there was 7x weekly frequencies left over in the previous bilateral.

This being said, Avianca is/was a mess. They went into bankruptcy protection recently, and were restructuring. They came out of Chapter 11 only a year ago. Even though they were interested in serving YUL pre-pandemic, I doubt they have YUL on their radar at the moment, especially with AC already on the route now. This being said, they do seem interested in doubling their network in the next 3-5 years. So anything is possible.

In the short to medium term, you’re probably going to see AC up frequency in the summer to both YYZ and YUL. YVR-BOG also makes sense eventually down the road.

caribb Dec 4, 2022 2:09 PM

Sounds right. Their financial troubles is why I said eventually serve YUL. Let’s hope it happens. Upping of frequencies seems inevitable now. Maybe Air Transat will expand their options in the country too. These deals usually are a good way to drive grow.

Dominion301 Dec 4, 2022 9:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hollywoodcory (Post 9805906)
The two routes schedules don't line up to swap aircraft in LGW, which means there needs to be some domestic runs.

YVR-LGW
WS22 Arrives 10:25 WS23 Departs 13:00
YYC-LGW
WS01 Arrives 09:00 WS02 Departs 11:00

I think you mean LGW-YVR and LGW-YYC, correct?

I guess they could have a YVR-YYC-YVR rotation on a 789. Guess we'll (hopefully) find out tomorrow.

Dominion301 Dec 4, 2022 9:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hehehe (Post 9805890)
So if YVR-LGW is also kept that means there could be 2 new routes out of YYC. Probably EDI/BCN.

I'm still sort of surprised YOW is getting gutted so badly by AC. At least WS is focussing on the west + there's a lot more ULCC competition too. Whereas YOW isn't seeing much competition to the extent YYC is to warrant all the cuts (unless you count potential new PD routes, none of which have been announced yet)

AC is gutting YOW in the short-term because:
a) Jazz pilots shortage = gut YOW before the neighbouring fortresses that they can still in many instances force feed people to (only YEG is mainline, but they're not currently & surprisingly showing any mainline on the YOW-YUL feeder either);
b) the ULCC's, especially Flair, are hurting them here (see YEG cut above);
c) government short-haul travel is still very slow to recover (i.e., all that Jazz)...the long-haul that is coming back is force-fed 100% into the hubs until the XLRs arrive;
d) it's YOW - the airport that can never catch a break.
e) AC building back the YVR, YYZ & especially YUL fortresses to be even stronger than they already were in 2019 = focus cities suffer; and
f) cutting before Porter grows here (other than BOS, every other route still has at least 1 carrier on it (2 in the case of YQM)...so it's no coincidence that YQB-YOW is the only one returning given their near-monopoly situation on the route.

Most incredibly for me with AC ex-YOW is the destination count for summer 2023 is what strikes me the most as shocking: 10 - of which 2 are in the GTA. Flair's ex-YOW summer 2023 destination count: also 10 - of they will be the sole nonstop airline on HALF of them (YYG, YQT, YYJ, FLL & CUN - also Orlando (SFB) goes until early June - 6 weeks later than AC & WS)!

For AC, you'd have to go back to the 1970s for such a low ex-YOW destination count (excluding 2020 & 21 of course) as even summer 2022 was back up to 12 points served.

Dominion301 Dec 4, 2022 9:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by caribb (Post 9806307)
Sounds right. Their financial troubles is why I said eventually serve YUL. Let’s hope it happens. Upping of frequencies seems inevitable now. Maybe Air Transat will expand their options in the country too. These deals usually are a good way to drive grow.

With what is now essentially Open Skies, I could see Sunwing opening up a number of weekly winter seasonal beach routes from not just YYZ & YUL but also the likes of YOW, YHZ, YQB & YXU to somewhere such as Cartagena. It's easily within range of a 738. Way back when for a couple of winters Zoom (I miss them) operated YOW-CTG. TS has flown weeklies to CTG from YYZ & YUL for years and AC started YYZ-CTG just today.

thenoflyzone Dec 5, 2022 9:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dominion301 (Post 9806567)
With what is now essentially Open Skies, I could see Sunwing opening up a number of weekly winter seasonal beach routes from not just YYZ & YUL but also the likes of YOW, YHZ, YQB & YXU to somewhere such as Cartagena. It's easily within range of a 738. Way back when for a couple of winters Zoom (I miss them) operated YOW-CTG. TS has flown weeklies to CTG from YYZ & YUL for years and AC started YYZ-CTG just today.

AC canceled its plans to serve CTG. No such flights bookable. It's a shame, as AC was going to be the first CSeries operator in South America with this route. Pre-pandemic, the route was served by Rouge.

Didn't know Zoom flew YOW-CTG. I thought they only flew to GEO in South America.

hollywoodcory Dec 5, 2022 1:00 PM

WS adds YYC-EDI/BCN starting May 17, 3x weekly. Route takes over flight numbers from YYZ-LGW.

WS003 YYC 20:20 - 10:55+1 EDI 789 357
WS004 EDI 13:00 - 14:05 YYC 789 146

Stating May 6:
WS008 YYC 18:40 - 12:00+1 BCN 789 246
WS007 BCN 14:00 - 16:19 YYC 789 357

Dominion301 Dec 5, 2022 2:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thenoflyzone (Post 9806825)
AC canceled its plans to serve CTG. No such flights bookable. It's a shame, as AC was going to be the first CSeries operator in South America with this route. Pre-pandemic, the route was served by Rouge.

Didn't know Zoom flew YOW-CTG. I thought they only flew to GEO in South America.

Was a charter service for their Go Travel Direct subsidiary. Pax booked via Go Travel. GEO was out of YYZ.

Dominion301 Dec 5, 2022 2:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hollywoodcory (Post 9806843)
WS adds YYC-EDI/BCN starting May 17, 3x weekly. Route takes over flight numbers from YYZ-LGW.

WS003 YYC 20:20 - 10:55+1 EDI 789 357
WS004 EDI 13:00 - 14:05 YYC 789 146

Stating May 6:
WS008 YYC 18:40 - 12:00+1 BCN 789 246
WS007 BCN 14:00 - 16:19 YYC 789 357

No surprises here. The only question now is AMS, but I don't think they'd have the frames for 3x weekly AMS on top of everything else. So WS now have two dormant LGW slots.

hollywoodcory Dec 5, 2022 3:11 PM

WS also adding YYC-NRT too.

WS080 YYC1855 – 2000+1NRT 789 357
WS081 NRT2200 – 1600YYC 789 146

Zmonkey Dec 5, 2022 3:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dominion301 (Post 9806892)
No surprises here. The only question now is AMS, but I don't think they'd have the frames for 3x weekly AMS on top of everything else. So WS now have two dormant LGW slots.

AMS is gone summer 2023.
https://westjet.mediaroom.com/2022-1...tional-Airport

Airboy Dec 5, 2022 5:44 PM

Well I get to see if the Renovations that were on Hold at YVR the last 2 years during the start of Covid are done. This will be the first time in 2 years that I will be flying Scheduled out of Terrace since I could not get on the Charter. (That must mean the numbers traveling into the LNG at Kitimat are now over 4200 persons on Site).

Also means parking and taking shuttles around YEG to get from one terminal to the other.

YYCguys Dec 5, 2022 6:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zmonkey (Post 9806971)

This is disappointing. I wonder why? Seasonal winter service to AMS is strange. It’s cold there in winter isn’t it? Much better weather in summer!

MonctonRad Dec 5, 2022 6:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YYCguys (Post 9807231)
This is disappointing. I wonder why? Seasonal winter service to AMS is strange. It’s cold there in winter isn’t it? Much better weather in summer!

But you can't skate on the canals in the summertime. :)

nname Dec 5, 2022 6:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hollywoodcory (Post 9806927)
WS also adding YYC-NRT too.

WS080 YYC1855 – 2000+1NRT 789 357
WS081 NRT2200 – 1600YYC 789 146

So they will use all 7 planes for long-hual service? No room for delays?

The NRT schedule will be very tight though, as all departures between 2300 and 0600 are banned. This means if the WS plane is delayed by 1hr or more, it will be at least 8 hours late when it is allowed to leave NRT and will arrive back at YYC just after midnight. Whatever European flight that follows it will need to depart at 2-3am or the next morning.

No word for YVR-LGW though, so it's not 100% confirmed yet. There is also no change in the schedule at all when the service ramping up in May and June as far as I can tell.

Dominion301 Dec 5, 2022 7:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nname (Post 9807243)
So they will use all 7 planes for long-hual service? No room for delays?

The NRT schedule will be very tight though, as all departures between 2300 and 0600 are banned. This means if the WS plane is delayed by 1hr or more, it will be at least 8 hours late when it is allowed to leave NRT and will arrive back at YYC just after midnight. Whatever European flight that follows it will need to depart at 2-3am or the next morning.

No word for YVR-LGW though, so it's not 100% confirmed yet. There is also no change in the schedule at all when the service ramping up in May and June as far as I can tell.

I can't imagine there's room for YVR-LGW daily with 40 weekly YYC departures given YVR-LGW can't be done with a single aircraft in a 24 hour period. They could do 3-4 weekly though by rotating the aircraft on YVR-YYC.

They must still be waffling on YYZ-EDI. It's still showing on a MAX on days 246, but the one-way fare is $1,500.

What will they do with the now dormant YYZ-LGW and YHZ-LGW slots I wonder? YOW-LGW on a MAX with zero competition seems like a no-brainer to me, but WS haven't exactly been very adept at serving YOW throughout their history.

hehehe Dec 5, 2022 7:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dominion301 (Post 9807284)
I can't imagine there's room for YVR-LGW daily with 40 weekly YYC departures given YVR-LGW can't be done with a single aircraft in a 24 hour period. They could do 3-4 weekly though by rotating the aircraft on YVR-YYC.

They must still be waffling on YYZ-EDI. It's still showing on a MAX on days 246, but the one-way fare is $1,500.

What will they do with the now dormant YYZ-LGW and YHZ-LGW slots I wonder? YOW-LGW on a MAX with zero competition seems like a no-brainer to me, but WS haven't exactly been very adept at serving YOW throughout their history.

Yeah the presser did not refer to YVR-LGW or YYZ-EDI at all. Like you said they could always reduce YVR-LGW to 3-4x weekly or cut it all together.

But the schedule's still doab,e, if they really wanted to take the risk they could?

BenYOW Dec 5, 2022 8:02 PM

Kingston Airport is once again without scheduled passenger air services as Pascan Aviation is temporarily suspending its route to Montreal as of January 6, 2023. Low load factors were cited as the reason for Pascan's temporary suspension, and a service restoration date hasn't been provided. As Pascan entered the market on September 12, 2022, the total duration of the route will have been just under four months.

City of Kingston

People_talking Dec 5, 2022 10:12 PM

deleted.

hollywoodcory Dec 5, 2022 10:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nname (Post 9807243)
So they will use all 7 planes for long-hual service? No room for delays?

The NRT schedule will be very tight though, as all departures between 2300 and 0600 are banned. This means if the WS plane is delayed by 1hr or more, it will be at least 8 hours late when it is allowed to leave NRT and will arrive back at YYC just after midnight. Whatever European flight that follows it will need to depart at 2-3am or the next morning.

No word for YVR-LGW though, so it's not 100% confirmed yet. There is also no change in the schedule at all when the service ramping up in May and June as far as I can tell.

I suspect YVR-LGW will get dropped. When they updated the schedule over the weekend the route was basically left untouched well all of the YYC routes got their scheduled times adjusted.

They may even not fly it on domestic turns either.

The domestic / transborder schedule will likely be updated early in the new year.


All times are GMT. The time now is 7:33 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.