SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Completed Project Threads Archive (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=348)
-   -   NEW YORK | Central Park Tower (Nordstrom)| 1,550 FT | 131 FLOORS (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=191095)

chris08876 Jul 9, 2014 3:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hunser (Post 6646596)
I think we are getting a bit spoiled, including me. These days every major development seems to sprout a new supertall. It's only logical that we moan height cuts and / or design changes. With so many supertalls in the pipeline, everyone is expecting the one real signature tower (1600ft+ roof), which will elevate the skyline single-handedly.

When it comes to the current supertall proposals, I think hoping that they commence quickly with construction, financing, and tenants is crucial because all it takes is another economic downturn and most of them will be either canceled or on hold for a long time. Speed is of the essence! :whip2

With that said, anything over a 1000 ft is great. We will get our signature tower in time due, but for now, debating a 100 or 200ft decrease from a tower that is already over a 1000 ft after the decrease is silly. I'm happy with the 1,400ft to 1500 ft range. Hell, even 1300 feet is great. Most cities dream of getting towers like these. Luckily, a lot of them are already in the demo stage. Also, with regards to Nordstrom or even the Hudson spire, we will find out soon what the real stats are. Renderings seem to come at odd times, so its really a game of suspense. But on a positive note, lets not forget the 136 skyscrapers UC, many of them over 500ft, along with the highrise proposals that keep coming every day or so in the outer boroughs and I'd say 90% or more of them become reality. NYC is still booming stronger than ever, and its only rising by the day. There are over 200 structures 6-12 stories in Demo or UC stage right now. And those are the ones that are covered, as a database, SSP is probably missing way more. Tons of unknown projects go unnoticed. I'd say as a city, this is booming as fast like those Chinese boom towns.

hunser Jul 9, 2014 12:25 PM

Breaking news!!!

1,479ft roof & 1,775ft spire :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

http://www.yimbynews.com/2014/07/nor...ilding.html/1#

Nordstrom Tower to Become World’s Tallest Residential Building at 1,775 Feet

Quote:

YIMBY has the latest drawings of Nordstrom Tower, courtesy of an anonymous tipster close to the project. Scoping documents also include the actual height numbers: 225 West 57th Street‘s facade will top-out 1,479′ above street level, while a surprise spire on top will cap the tower at 1,775 feet. Adrian Smith and Gordon Gill are designing the building.
http://media-cache-ec0.pinimg.com/60...01771a467f.jpg

http://media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/60...e57e0df9b0.jpg

http://www.yimbynews.com/wp-content/...-Elevation.jpg

http://www.yimbynews.com/wp-content/...-Elevation.jpg

Onn Jul 9, 2014 12:28 PM

WHATTTT!!! 1,775 feet!!! World's tallest residential building!!! And a supped up design!! I can roll with this! :cheers::D:tup::worship:

scalziand Jul 9, 2014 12:31 PM

It's not a box!

1775'- deference to 1WTC I suppose.

Perklol Jul 9, 2014 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hunser (Post 6647013)
Breaking news!!!

1,479ft roof & 1,775ft spire :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

http://www.yimbynews.com/2014/07/nor...ilding.html/1#

Nordstrom Tower to Become World’s Tallest Residential Building at 1,775 Feet

:yeahthat :5: :cheers: :yeahthat

hunser Jul 9, 2014 12:32 PM

Important note: Those are not the actual renderings but 3D models by our fellow forumer Otie! :cheers:

EDIT: floor count seems to be 97.

Eidolon Jul 9, 2014 12:33 PM

:cheers:

Letting 1 WTC keep the overall tallest height while becoming the tallest in North America by roof.

hunser Jul 9, 2014 12:40 PM

If more than 85% of the tower's usable floor space is residential (CTBUH rules), than we have a new tallest residential. I think that given the roof height of 1,479ft, it's quite likely.

Crawford Jul 9, 2014 12:41 PM

Looks good to me. I'm disappointed they didn't actually top 1 WTC, but matching the height is very good news. A 2,000 foot tower would have been even better, but maybe Shvo Tower or Hudson Yards will give us 2,000.

And I had heard rumors of such a design about a month ago. I was surprised no one on SSP had posted this, but glad to hear that NY YIMBY has the scoop.

hunser Jul 9, 2014 12:56 PM

Please change thread title to:

NEW YORK | 217 West 57th Street (Nordstrom)| 1,775 FT pinnacle / 1,479 FT roof | 93+ FLOORS

Perklol Jul 9, 2014 12:58 PM

^Yes!!

I think I should also point out that (Drake Hotel Development) should be removed from the 432 PA thread.

Crawford Jul 9, 2014 1:06 PM

Do people think this building is "enough" to give Midtown a new centerpiece, or do we need something even taller in one of the upcoming projects to really give NYC a new skyline peak?

Submariner Jul 9, 2014 1:13 PM

Impressive.

ILNY Jul 9, 2014 1:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JayPro (Post 6646631)
To me at least, what does it say about the claims this "co-architect of One57" makes, since they basically deal with competition?
So will I; but this person's comments IMO reek of 50% envy and 50% being out of a few loops here and there.

Good points JayPro, and speculations turned out not to be true at least for 225W as we now know.
I love the new height but have mixed feelings about the design.

JayPro Jul 9, 2014 1:13 PM

This is my jaded side speaking.
What should be a sense of awe on my part, I guess, is my sense of "here we go again...maybe."
As reliable as YIMBY has proven itself to be in letting things out of the bag that have come to pass (important to note here), how am I to be sure that this "tipster" has the real inside scoop?
Would a "tipster" go over the heads of his/her employers and reveal design/other building details without permission? Was this person yoked with a gag order from Extell/SG, which he immediately chose to violate to maybe move things along in the process?
Unless/untill I see these drawings or something *extremely* similar on the websites of either/both parties aforementioned, I remain unconvinced.

Please Note: On second reading of my own post, I wish to cast no aspersions on the intentions of our former colleague who has been given the unfortunate moniker of "tipster". My issue perhaps should be re-couched to ask what a potential tipster in general stands to gain from releasing (perhaps) confidential information to a publication of any sort, regardless of its own reputation.
I hope you understand my misgivings. I assure you that no stones were meant to be thrown. Perhaps I've let my frustrations with all these bumps in the road get in the way.

hunser Jul 9, 2014 1:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JayPro (Post 6647069)
This is my jaded side speaking.
What should be a sense of awe on my part, I guess, is my sense of "here we go again...maybe."
As reliable as YIMBY has proven itself to be in letting things out of the bag that have come to pass, how am I to be sure that this "tipster" has the real inside scoop?
Would a "tipster" go over the heads of his/her employers and reveal design/other building details without permission? Was this person yoked with a gag order from Extell/SG, which he immediately chose to violate to maybe move things along in the process?
Unless/untill I see these drawings or something *extremely* similar on the websites of either/both parties aforementioned, I remain unconvinced.

We already have drawings and some fine 3D models by Otie (who saw the original renderings). I'd say this is a pretty sure thing.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crawford (Post 6647060)
Do people think this building is "enough" to give Midtown a new centerpiece, or do we need something even taller in one of the upcoming projects to really give NYC a new skyline peak?

We definitely need a 1,600 - 1,700 foot tall tower to the roof, topped by a spire. I hope Wanda, Shvo or the Hudson Yards can deliver in that respect.

bopoqod Jul 9, 2014 1:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hunser (Post 6647074)
We already have drawings and some fine 3D models by Otie (who saw the original renderings). I'd say this is a pretty sure thing.

To be fair, Otie's renderings are of the "Nordstorm Tower". The Nordstrom Tower might be different.

Perklol Jul 9, 2014 1:26 PM

no comment...

LMich Jul 9, 2014 1:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crawford (Post 6647060)

I'd definitely say something a bit taller to the roof, but even just an important as that, I'd say something far more architecturally striking, too. Another boxy supertall isn't going to cut it.

Crawford Jul 9, 2014 1:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bopoqod (Post 6647079)
To be fair, Otie's renderings are of the "Nordstorm Tower". The Nordstrom Tower might be different.

It's the same building. Nordstrom is the anchor tenant of this tower.