SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Southwest (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=643)
-   -   Tempe Development Thread (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=96153)

combusean Jun 23, 2020 8:04 PM

^ Yours is the exception. Offices by in large part were not prepared for a sudden shutdown. And people just often don't respond enough on IM even during this or before for it for me to particularly enjoy having to be dependent on others. That culture is rare in my field because people are too busy and can't even be bothered to say "gimme 5 min." You have to develop a positive online working environment and be committed to it, and what I'm going through is a winging it and our office has full intention on reopening.

combusean Jun 23, 2020 8:09 PM

BTW, someone correct me if I'm wrong, but feels like new projects for Tempe have significantly slowed so it's not like there's even much news to discuss.

We had a fluff piece about Pier and a "we have the land and maybe it'll be office" article and this whole WFH thing stems from whether Class A will need that square footage.

I follow Phoenix more but I feel it's been a while since somebody was advancing on a major project in Tempe.

ASUSunDevil Jun 23, 2020 9:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by combusean (Post 8960445)
I follow Phoenix more but I feel it's been a while since somebody was advancing on a major project in Tempe.

Did you miss Mr. RE's post on the previous page? There's tons of action in Tempe right now, and even more starting soon.

Mill + Rio, The Pier, Mirabella, Novus, Forest Apartments, Grand at Papago, I.D.E.A., ISTB-7, Westin, Oliv, Omni, 6th & College Hotel, Hilo etc. are pretty major... :shrug:

combusean Jun 23, 2020 10:26 PM

I was talking about stuff that's not under construction but announced or proposed.

Astra, X Basecamp, Garfield House are three towers I can think of in Phoenix actively moving through the planning process, and there's a few smaller projects announced as well.

fawd Jun 23, 2020 10:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by combusean (Post 8960437)
Offices by in large part were not prepared for a sudden shutdown. And people just often don't respond enough on IM even during this or before for it for me to particularly enjoy having to be dependent on others. That culture is rare in my field because people are too busy and can't even be bothered to say "gimme 5 min." You have to develop a positive online working environment and be committed to it, and what I'm going through is a winging it and our office has full intention on reopening.

There likely wasn't a single company that was prepared for a pandemic in general. :shrug:

I don't have a single client that isn't in the process of re-thinking their office/work structure post-pandemic. Every one, and I mean every one, is developing strategies and processes to increase the ratio of WFH employees when things return back to 'normal'.

SunDevil Jun 24, 2020 3:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fawd (Post 8960626)
There likely wasn't a single company that was prepared for a pandemic in general. :shrug:

I don't have a single client that isn't in the process of re-thinking their office/work structure post-pandemic. Every one, and I mean every one, is developing strategies and processes to increase the ratio of WFH employees when things return back to 'normal'.

Funny enough, my job in the federal government was already doing work from home from 3 to 4 days a week for the last several years, so it was a pretty seamless transition to full time. No lost hours, no interruption of service.

I think this is one time the federal government being behind the trend of bringing people back into the office accidentally was a benefit.

CB1 Jun 24, 2020 5:47 AM

I never thought I would be working from home before the pandemic. I thought the production would slow once the thousand employees would start working from home. But the CEO of the company has been saying that production has stayed the same. As long as production reports are being sent most people won’t want to be at the bottom. Seems like not all but many companies are realizing they can have employees work remotely. Everyone has their own experiences but mine is that working from home will probably more than double once the pandemic is over. But it makes me sad that we might not have as much office developments in the future. Thank goodness one hundred mill broke ground right before the pandemic.

combusean Jun 24, 2020 7:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SunDevil (Post 8960890)
Funny enough, my job in the federal government was already doing work from home from 3 to 4 days a week for the last several years, so it was a pretty seamless transition to full time. No lost hours, no interruption of service.

I think this is one time the federal government being behind the trend of bringing people back into the office accidentally was a benefit.

I have been through this same process and I think jobs that are highly regulated (let's just say I did more than the E-QIP which is nosy already) or in other highly regulated industries are going to lean towards WFOffice.

What I'm really hoping for from a real-estate and personal perspective is that employers ditch the open office and practice social distancing permanently which should massively increase office space demands, especially on Class B space that don't create sick buildings when they jammed people like myself into. I fundamentally despise open offices and dislike telecommuting. I never had the chance to get lunch with coworkers in my new job but that's Federal campus food too...

Just give me my quiet cube already with some neighborhood food and drink options nearby with coworkers when I want to get lunch or happy hour with them dammit. It's been like 4 years for me since that here and I was almost on top of it before this shit hit. That was the normal course of work up until the 1990s pretty much everywhere before this sprawl campus office culture hit us all and I bet it was better back then.

fawd Jun 24, 2020 1:06 PM

That's really not going to happen. Companies are realizing the cost saving & efficiency potential of WFH - not the other way around.

combusean Jun 24, 2020 3:48 PM

^ Time will tell. I appreciate the counter-argument, tho I'd probably take WFH over open offices. Kitties are better than lip smackers and mechanical keyboards.

Obadno Jun 25, 2020 12:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fawd (Post 8961088)
That's really not going to happen. Companies are realizing the cost saving & efficiency potential of WFH - not the other way around.

Yeah im thinking going forward companies will be doing much more work from home than they did before. That will translate to less demand for office space overall.

cgl77 Jun 25, 2020 5:00 PM

The additional element in all this is how much control bosses are willing to give up. Twenty years ago I was working from home 3 days a week, 120 miles from the office, and the boss having control issues never got comfortable with not being able to see every employee every day. This was well before Skype.

muertecaza Jun 27, 2020 2:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by combusean (Post 8960445)
BTW, someone correct me if I'm wrong, but feels like new projects for Tempe have significantly slowed so it's not like there's even much news to discuss.

We had a fluff piece about Pier and a "we have the land and maybe it'll be office" article and this whole WFH thing stems from whether Class A will need that square footage.

My sense is definitely the same, that the pipeline of new under-development projects in Tempe has significantly slowed. If you look at the Tempe development map, there is only really one major project listed as going through entitlements and it's the extremely pie-in-the-sky Tempe Depot project for which we've only seen the one rendering, no details.

https://tempegov.maps.arcgis.com/app...6abf93b858f508

Mr.RE Jun 28, 2020 4:56 PM

I drove by the 777 tower last night and it looks like the top 3 floors are already occupied? Filled with desks and chairs. Also their landscape lighting looks so good at night, they did a really good job with their street frontage hardscape/landscape plan. Just need the next office project to the south to get moving to fill the void :cheers:

azsunsurfer Jun 29, 2020 1:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr.RE (Post 8965376)
I drove by the 777 tower last night and it looks like the top 3 floors are already occupied? Filled with desks and chairs. Also their landscape lighting looks so good at night, they did a really good job with their street frontage hardscape/landscape plan. Just need the next office project to the south to get moving to fill the void :cheers:

Yes most of the building is leased except for the retail on the ground floor. I believe the next building they will start is the one right in front of the garage (i think they already have a tenant lined up who has a small office at Sky Song but is going to expand). The last building for that cluster will be on the hard corner with Rural.

Speaking about the slow down of projects...I agree...not sure if we are in a lul from Covid or the related ressession. If you noticed most of the small infill townhouse developments are starting to slow down though there are still some going thru entitlements.

FYI- the Micro Estate project...is ridculous. 200K for 600 sqft. next to the train tracks in Tempe??? F that....

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...-98056?view=qv

skiesthelimit Jun 30, 2020 7:47 PM

06/30/20 Novus Spam

Some Novus Innovation District updates:

CrestedSaguaro Jun 30, 2020 9:03 PM

^^^
how do you add the show button??

ASU Diablo Jun 30, 2020 9:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrestedSaguaro (Post 8967808)
^^^
how do you add the show button??

Spoiler / Hidden Content
Use this to create hidden content which can only be seen when the user clicks the button.

Similar to [QUOTE] function, just replace with "spoiler"

:cheers:

muertecaza Jun 30, 2020 11:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skiesthelimit (Post 8967697)
Some Novus Innovation District updates:

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...9d59706f_b.jpg

Thanks so much for the pictures.

Does anyone know if it's a building code requirement or something to have the electrical boxes out at the street? They did the same thing with Hayden Ferry and the AC Hotel and I dislike the way it looks. Relatively minor, 777 Tower looks great, but just curious.

Mr.RE Jul 1, 2020 8:49 PM

I saw heavy equipment grading dirt on the office site next to 777 novus. Not sure if they are preparing for the next building or just cleaning up the dirt to fence off to look good? I assume its the latter.

On another note, the Pier (everyone's favorite project lol) had a swarm of activity today.. definitely encouraging to see but I remain skeptical until I see multiple levels rise above grade!

I also say a "Call for offers" pop up in my inbox for a 2.5 acre site adjacent to the pier for sale. Date is set for July 15th so may see something happen there in the next 6-12 months.