SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Southwest (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=643)
-   -   Southwest Coffee Talk (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=173766)

glynnjamin Apr 18, 2011 4:32 PM

I love the phrase "tax fairness" as used by the scum at UofPhx. They are the biggest leeches of tax dollars in the game. Not only do they suck taxpayer dollars through government-funded student loans but they set up shop in suburban areas looking for communities vying for job gains that are willing to dish out tax breaks.

The UofPhx office they opened in Tacoma was strategically placed in the "revitalized" downtown property tax-free and has crazy payroll tax breaks for an employment base of 100+ after Russell Investments moved to Seattle. Now they want "tax fairness" so that they pay less than everyone else? I say call their bluff. At the end of the day, they are probably doomed to bankruptcy anyway. Make them pay their fair share. They built all of those highrises, make them pay the full tax. We may lose the jobs but you will continue to collect the taxes on the buildings that they own. The job loss would suck but it is inevitable. Besides, UofPhx offers job training & career placement to their laid off employees (or they did, at least, during their last purge).

Don B. Apr 18, 2011 8:36 PM

Apollo Group just spent like $72 million building their worldwide campus next to I-10 near the airport; I think it is highly unlikely they are going to flee Arizona for some other locale. Overall, our tax burden is one of the lowest in the country, and they have to consider more than just their corporate income tax.

In other news, I finally got proper chrome wheels for my car (18" Enkeis):

Old look:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...G_1913copy.jpg

New look (Saturday getting ready for the Gay Pride parade):
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...9/IMG_1882.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...9/IMG_1886.jpg

:)

--don

combusean Apr 19, 2011 6:26 AM

Holy cow Don. The rims on that turn the car completely around.

Did you happen to see the Stanton for Mayor booth?

Leo the Dog Apr 19, 2011 2:01 PM

Hey guys, now that the 2011 MLB season is well underway, is there any talk/buzz, big events planned for All-Star weekend (outside of the game of course)?

Don B. Apr 19, 2011 2:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by combusean (Post 5246830)
Holy cow Don. The rims on that turn the car completely around.

Thanks. Yes, they really make the car, and the best part is the car is paid off and only has 79k miles on it, not bad for a 2005. I'll probably keep it another 5 to 7 years, if it lasts that long (it should, with proper maintenance, get me at least 150k miles, if not 200k).

Yes, not only did I see the booth, but I walked right past him taking photos with his entourage. :)

You could not have missed me, I was wearing my "gay pride" striped shorts and hat. :D

--don

scottkag Apr 19, 2011 3:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by combusean (Post 5246830)

I was riding in a parade car, and Stanton was right in front of me for the whole length of the route. I'm not exaggerating much when I say he introduced himself to absolutely everyone on the street. With all the running back and forth across the street he must have covered ten miles. I was very impressed.

Leo the Dog Apr 22, 2011 3:11 PM

Some Density

Saw this online, thought some of you guys might find this interesting even though it's not in AZ. Imagine if Phoenix could/would pull this off. 8,000 residential units on 400 acres just north of DT....:shrug:

Quote:

SF planners approve Treasure Island development
BY THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
FRIDAY, APRIL 22, 2011 AT 7:50 A.M.

SAN FRANCISCO — A proposed $1.5 billion neighborhood on Treasure Island was given the green light in a close vote by planners, but the plan still faces hurdles.

San Francisco's Planning Commission voted 4-3 on Thursday, split along commissioners appointed by the mayor and those appointed by the city's Board of Supervisors.

It will be next considered by the supervisors.

The plan includes 8,000 residential units and a 450-foot high-rise on the island located in San Francisco Bay between the city and Oakland.

Critics say the man-made island would not fare well in an earthquake and that the project would increase traffic on the San Francisco-Oakland Bay Bridge.

Supporters say developing these 400 acres in the middle of San Francisco Bay is a unique opportunity.

The Associated Press
Source: http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/2...d-development/

HooverDam Apr 23, 2011 3:08 AM

Hey check out Vanishing Phoenix for an article I wrote about learning lessons for Phoenix from Boston on place making and identity and such.

Its nothing I haven't said more or less here a thousand times and you've all read, but I think it came out OK.

plinko Apr 26, 2011 7:14 PM

I was in the Valley over the weekend. A quick trip, but I'll share a few observations based on what I saw:

1. Chander City Hall (and the surrounding associated street improvements) has really transformed that section of Arizona Avenue. Especially at night. Vast improvement.

2. www.shameongilbert.org These signs are everywhere...

3. The ChuckBox on University still has the best cheap burgers in town.

4. Downtown Tempe was packed on Saturday.

5. Downtown Phoenix was completely DEAD on Saturday.

6. Riding a train in Phoenix is very amusing. Love the idea. I have decided though that despite the extra costs, the lack of grade separation is really going to hinder additional ridership. It's just too slow except during peak traffic times and going to a game downtown.

7. Cityscape was decidedly underwhelming. Maybe once the grocery store and hotel opens? More downtown residents? Chicken/egg. At least it's a decent start (though makes the same stupid mistake that Collier made by elevating the central space off the street).

8. Excited about a pedestrian bridge across the lake. It would be nice to put one at the east end as well and do some landscaping of some sort along the north bank. It looks downright desolate (the irony!).

9. When the hell is Tovrea Castle ever going to open?

10. Elevation Chandler is a disgrace.

11. The lighting scheme on the Childrens Hospital is a nice touch and much appreciated, but a little schizophrenic.

12. I had forgotten how fast people tend to drive on 6 lane wide-ass arterials.

13. Thankfully the freeway cameras are gone. What a pain in the ass those were. At least it doesn't take forever to get across town anymore.

14. I still see no redeeming qualities about anything west of I-17...

...and lastly...a remark from my wife (who is not from Phoenix)...'why is it that every time we are over here, it seems like all we are doing is driving?'

...just a quick, clean assessment...

snowthedirtbub Apr 28, 2011 2:31 AM

edit

HX_Guy Apr 30, 2011 10:15 AM

So I'm wanting to start a blog abou things happening in and around Phoenix since I'm always out and about trying out new places and taking pictures...I love getting the word out. :) I recently set one up for all the car crap I've done over the years at www.diyaudi.com and this would be similar.

Can't really nail down a web address though...I registered www.phoenixhappening.com and www.whatsgoodphoenix.com but I cant decide which is better and if maybe there is something even better that could be optimized on Google to be found easily. A search on Google for "Whats happening in Phoenix" brings up 5 Million results while "Whats good in Phoenix" brings up 10 Million results. The first brings up more results on sites about things to do while the second looks like all forum discussions.

What do you guys think? Any other suggestions? This could be a fun project. :D

HX_Guy May 4, 2011 8:48 PM

Haha this is kind of funny...

I got an email from Stand Up Live that the first 50 people to call get 4 free tickets to see Theo Von this Friday night. I called up, got my tickets, then put it up on Facebook. Now I've got 4 friends who booked 4 tickets each going...all to the 9:45 show. We are all Romanian...If the comedian picks up on it, he is going to rip on us bad! :D

The number is 480-719-6100 if anyone wants to see if tickets are still available.

Vicelord John May 12, 2011 8:11 AM

So I ride wednesday nights on Squaw Peak with the shop team from Slippery Pig Bike Shop. There is an apartment complex we cut through on the way from the shop to the trails. Saw a license plate today "WARP 7" sound familiar anyone?

I'm jealous of this person's proximity to trail 1A, the best mtn bike trail in Phoenix.

Buckeye Native 001 May 12, 2011 4:27 PM

I'm half-tempted to come down off the Mountain before the All-Star Game in July to partake in festivities (life-long and long-suffering Reds fan), but does anyone know what they're planning and where besides the game? Will they have anything like the NFL Experience when Arizona hosted the Super Bowl a few years back?

Although, truth be told, I thought the NFL Experience was a bit of a letdown/ripoff.

westbev93 May 12, 2011 5:24 PM

MLB Fanfest. I think it will be at the Civic Center. I believe it starts on Friday and runs through the AS Game day.

westbev93 May 12, 2011 5:25 PM

They also have the typical attendant activities to the AS Game--Homerun Derby, Celebrities/Legends softball game, and the rookie or prospects game or whatever it is called.

pbenjamin May 12, 2011 6:30 PM

Sunday is the XM All-Star Futures Game and the Taco Bell All-Star Legends & Celebrity Softball Game. Monday is the Gatorade All-Star Workout Day featuring the State Farm® Home Run Derby. Tuesday is the All Star Game. These are sold as a package. I think it will easy to get tickets from scalpers for the Sunday and Monday stuff. FanFest tickets are sold separately for $25 although you may be able to get them for $20 via various promotions.

Single event tickets for Gatorade All-Star Workout Day featuring the State Farm Home Run Derby on Monday, July 11 and the 2011 MLB All-Star Game on Tuesday, July 12 will go on sale Monday, May 16 at 10 AM MST.

Buckeye Native 001 May 12, 2011 6:46 PM

Cool, thanks for the heads-up

PHX31 May 12, 2011 8:48 PM

Does anyone know of a nice day spa or nice place to get a massage in downtown or central phoenix? Something where you can do a half day, or even just an hour massage?

HooverDam May 12, 2011 8:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PHX31 (Post 5275672)
Does anyone know of a nice day spa or nice place to get a massage in downtown or central phoenix? Something where you can do a half day, or even just an hour massage?

I can't vouch for it personally as I'm not a massage guy, but I know there's a place Downtown called Just Breath, you can check out their website. Or one of the hotels maybe...

Vicelord John May 12, 2011 8:58 PM

Quote:

Come up here to Sanctuary. Only 20 mintues from downtown and you won't get a better treatment.

PHX31 May 12, 2011 9:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vicelord John (Post 5275681)
Come up here to Sanctuary. Only 20 mintues from downtown and you won't get a better treatment.

Where is it located and what kind of services do you offer and what are the prices? I'm thinking about a gift of a morning at the spa with a massage included (or just a massage)... I've never done one, so I don't know what there is and what to expect.

bwonger06 May 12, 2011 9:42 PM

Quote:

Try Par Exsalonce at Cityscape. Haven't heard any reviews on it though.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vicelord John (Post 5275681)

Although I have no personal experience with them, my aunt and mom go there all the time and I am guessing they're fairly pleased.

Vicelord John May 12, 2011 9:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PHX31 (Post 5275698)
Where is it located and what kind of services do you offer and what are the prices? I'm thinking about a gift of a morning at the spa with a massage included (or just a massage)... I've never done one, so I don't know what there is and what to expect.

http://www.sanctuaryoncamelback.com/spa/spa.php

Is this for you or for a gift?

PHX31 May 12, 2011 10:33 PM

Gift: my gf/fiance is graduating from nursing school.

Sancuary seems a bit pricey.

Vicelord John May 12, 2011 10:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PHX31 (Post 5275788)
Gift: my gf/fiance is graduating from nursing school.

Sancuary seems a bit pricey.

you get what you pay for :banana:

PHX31 May 13, 2011 12:10 AM

An hour for a Swedish massage at Sanctuary is $150? Basically walk in, get your massage, and leave an hour later right?

Vicelord John May 13, 2011 1:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PHX31 (Post 5275894)
An hour for a Swedish massage at Sanctuary is $150? Basically walk in, get your massage, and leave an hour later right?

no. You are a member for a day. You check in, hang out in the lounge and enjoy some tea while you read or sit in the hot tub or sauna. Then you get your massage, then you go back to the lounge and relax for a while. Maybe you go to the pool and take a swim or whatever else you feel like doing while you have run of the property.

PM me about the price.

Vicelord John May 13, 2011 5:57 PM

So I've been talking about bikes and looking at getting a new one for some time now. Finally pulled the trigger late wednesday afternoon and went for my first ride on Thursday night with it. Amazing what a difference a nice road cycle can make. Being a mountain biker first, and having never had a low end mtn bike, I can't relate the difference, but I can say this is amazing. I feel like I have to ride uphill for miles just to get a workout. Gonna try riding up South Mountain on Tuesday. Did it once, but it was hard as shit so hopefully this makes it drastically easier.

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d6.../DSC_45261.jpg
http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d6.../DSC_45271.jpg
http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d6.../DSC_45281.jpg
http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d6.../DSC_45291.jpg

Leo the Dog May 14, 2011 2:23 AM

^^^ Great looking bike! How much does it weigh?

Vicelord John May 14, 2011 2:53 AM

17.1 as pictured.

HX_Guy May 14, 2011 7:23 AM

Great looking bike, very sleek looking.

One thing I never understood about those bikes though...the seat! Are you literally not supposed to sit 95% of the time when riding? Seats on road bikes look like the most uncomfortable thing ever.

Vicelord John May 14, 2011 7:30 AM

The thing with saddles is you want one that supports your sit bones. You do this by getting the right width. As long as you are well supported, you will be comfortable. As for padding, any decent pair of bib shorts will make the lightest and hardest saddle feel comfy.

The honest truth is of the two race bikes I own, the mountain bike's saddle is the worst. They have more padding by nature so to shave weight you go narrower. Go narrower than your sit bones and you'll hate life. Thing is on a mtn bike you spend a lot of time out of the saddle. Road cycling.... Well lets just say I'm a seated climber.

HX_Guy May 14, 2011 7:46 AM

Interesting. :)

By the way, you still down one of these days to do a photo shoot with my car? Just had tint done all around (fucking $679...shoot me) so I'm thinking maybe next weekend? Can't wash the inside of the windows for a few days so can't do it this weekend.

Vicelord John May 14, 2011 7:48 AM

Yeah totally down.

I'll need the day off and weekends are tough but doable with notice. Also this time of year with a car = nothing between 10-4 because of the sun's angles.

plinko May 14, 2011 6:31 PM

Nice bike. I road a mountain bike for years all over and made the switch about 5 years ago to a nice carbon fiber Trek. What an amazing difference (especially since Santa Barbara isn't even remotely flat).

The only thing I would worry about on a road bike in Phoenix is that everything in the gutters seems to be sharp edged (trash, debris, and anything natural from local plant life).

I'd carry at least (2) tubes at all times (along with the co2 canisters).

I had enough problem with road tires on my mountain bike riding the streets when I lived there.

Vicelord John May 14, 2011 7:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by plinko (Post 5277739)
Nice bike. I road a mountain bike for years all over and made the switch about 5 years ago to a nice carbon fiber Trek. What an amazing difference (especially since Santa Barbara isn't even remotely flat).

The only thing I would worry about on a road bike in Phoenix is that everything in the gutters seems to be sharp edged (trash, debris, and anything natural from local plant life).

I'd carry at least (2) tubes at all times (along with the co2 canisters).

I had enough problem with road tires on my mountain bike riding the streets when I lived there.

Do you keep your tires properly inflated? I've only had two flats in over 1,500 miles, and I don't exactly ride with care. :haha: I've not had a flat in 3 years of singletrack riding on my mtb ever since i switched over to a tubeless wheelset. I even run tires designed for tubes, and I ride technical terrain, still no flats. Tire pressure is the best defense over flats.

When I was in Santa Barbara in March, I had every intention of riding, but it happened to be almost 100 degrees the week I was there with humidity and I decided it wasn't worth it.

plinko May 14, 2011 9:12 PM

Well, 15 years ago when I was in college? Who knows. But since moving to SB 8 years ago I do regular maintenance on both of my bikes and haven't had too many problems.

But I guarantee you that with the narrow tires on your road bike, you'll be getting many many more flats. It's just part of riding them.

Vicelord John May 14, 2011 9:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by plinko (Post 5277855)
But I guarantee you that with the narrow tires on your road bike, you'll be getting many many more flats. It's just part of riding them.

Perhaps you think this is my first road cycle? :shrug:

I'll be in SB in October (likely) and will be briging my bikes. Perhaps you might have some time off to show me some neat rides preferably in the ~50mi. range. A lot of the roads out of town that I have driven on seem very narrow and I've not seen cyclists on them, namely the road by the lake on the way to Santa Ynez.

HX_Guy May 16, 2011 5:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vicelord John (Post 5277459)
Yeah totally down.

I'll need the day off and weekends are tough but doable with notice. Also this time of year with a car = nothing between 10-4 because of the sun's angles.

So I took a trip to Sedona yesterday and damn what an awesome backdrop that would make for some photos...too bad it's 1.5 hours away. :P

Took a couple pictures with the cell phone...

http://a1.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphot..._6428512_n.jpg

http://a7.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphot..._8072734_n.jpg

By the way...L'Auberge de Sedona has to be one of the most beautiful locations in all of Arizona...

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...3&l=d789a06d1b

Vicelord John May 16, 2011 7:14 PM

yeah I saw you blowing up facebook checking in everywehre in sedona.

L'auberge is awesome, did you eat brunch there?

HX_Guy May 16, 2011 7:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vicelord John (Post 5279625)
yeah I saw you blowing up facebook checking in everywehre in sedona.

L'auberge is awesome, did you eat brunch there?

Haha...oh yea, I forgot we're friends on Facebook. :P

Yea, had brunch there, shit is not cheap ($148 w/ tax & tip for two people! WTF!) and there wasn't even a price listed anywhere, found out after the fact.

Vicelord John May 16, 2011 7:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HX_Guy (Post 5279646)
Haha...oh yea, I forgot we're friends on Facebook. :P

Yea, had brunch there, shit is not cheap ($148 w/ tax & tip for two people! WTF!) and there wasn't even a price listed anywhere, found out after the fact.

well, they have to pay the bills somehow! I've had lunch on that patio a few times. It's one of my favorite places. Next time you go out of town within the state, you should contact me. There ain't much of this state I haven't covered.

Don B. May 17, 2011 1:21 PM

In my prior life, we went to L'Auberge at least once per summer.

Those days are gone, however. I haven't been there since 2007. It is an amazing place, no question.

--don

SunDevil May 19, 2011 3:38 AM

Restaurant week is making me fat! First went to Cowboy Ciao, just got back from Fuego Tacos (thank goodness we didn't reserve for the bistro as it's rainy and cold), next I want to do Cheuvront.

PHX31 May 19, 2011 3:59 PM

So what's with the smokey smell and haze in the air today? A storm system just came through with rain and wind that cleaned out the air. Now this morning I wake up to a smoke smell and everything is all hazey. What is up? Some brush fire? Tire fire? They talked about it on the radio and didn't know what was going on, and I can't find anything online about it. Anyone know?

HX_Guy May 19, 2011 5:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PHX31 (Post 5283574)
So what's with the smokey smell and haze in the air today? A storm system just came through with rain and wind that cleaned out the air. Now this morning I wake up to a smoke smell and everything is all hazey. What is up? Some brush fire? Tire fire? They talked about it on the radio and didn't know what was going on, and I can't find anything online about it. Anyone know?

Blame Canada.

http://www.azcentral.com/community/p...-abk19-ON.html

dtnphx May 19, 2011 7:22 PM

I was checking out other forums and ran across this photo thread of Denver and almost crapped my pants. It shows hundreds and hundreds of the most beautiful buildings that we just don't have here and it's mostly JUST ONE NEIGHBORHOOD. A tad bummed.

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=189739

Vicelord John May 19, 2011 7:43 PM

Many people don't realize that Denver is a big city. It is more east coast than it is midwestern or west coast.

HooverDam May 21, 2011 5:19 PM

So I'm not sure why our own PhxDowntowner hasn't mentioned this since he's been posting here recently but check out this project of his:

Valley of the Sunflowers

Here's the info:
Quote:

Starting with a $5,000 grant from Intel, we're temporarily turning an ugly dirt lot into a beautiful field of sunflowers.

Then we'll harvest them so the Phoenix Bioscience High School can create biodiesel for their solar/biofuel hybrid vehicle.

The location isn't finalized, but we're hoping the City will be interested in partnering b/c they have some of the most visible vacant land in Downtown and this is an extremely visual project - if not, some private landowners are also interested.
It sounds like an awesome project. I hope the City will let the lots they own be used for temporary projects like this that will reduce blight, dust, the urban heat island and beautify downtown.

It would be great if that series of lots between Roosevelt Row and the Downtown core (between like 3rd st and 7th St) could get fixed up first. I imagine visitors and folks here for Conventions would go check out Roosevelt Row more if the walk there wasn't so visually scary.