SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Proposals (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=361)
-   -   CHICAGO | LSE - Site I | 950 FT | 85 FLOORS (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=229046)

Chi-Sky21 Jul 12, 2017 1:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ithakas (Post 7862244)

It almost looks like it mimics the LSD bridgehouses there. Giant silver versions that is.....

rlw777 Jul 12, 2017 2:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by denizen467 (Post 7862614)
Why on earth would an architect be making design changes to a condo tower next door built many years ago?

If anything, direct the question to Magellan as to why they're not building a bustle. Presumably they and the architect decided a slim unadorned tower was best here. Then the question really is whether the neighboring condo association could be convinced to spend money to beautify their ugly wall, for the benefit of the new tower, and the neighborhood, and themselves. In fact, this render can work to put a little bit of pressure on the Chandler; any miscellaneous opposition they have to the new project could be alleviated by Magellan offering to kick in some money for ivy (or a mural of a sailboat?) to de-uglify their building. (I'm assuming there's no existing obligation for Magellan to address the blank wall.)

Huh? Nobody was suggesting bkl should be making design changes to the chandler. My comment was about the design ignoring it's context and not utilizing the party wall.

spidey7312 Jul 12, 2017 2:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rocket49 (Post 7862615)
From the images it appears that all but the highest floors of the 80 story building will have balconies.

If that's the case, would that mean this building will have the highest balconies in Chicago?

There is a room in the John Hancock Observation Deck next to the tilt attraction which has screens in place of window panes, and this room is technically a balcony making it the highest in not only Chicago, but all of North America.

rlw777 Jul 12, 2017 2:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spidey7312 (Post 7862874)
There is a room in the John Hancock Observation Deck next to the tilt attraction which has screens in place of window panes, and this room is technically a balcony making it the highest in not only Chicago, but all of North America.

Vista will have balconies all the way to the top on the east and west ends which I assume would make it's penthouse the highest

Rocket49 Jul 12, 2017 2:49 PM

^^^ Thanks for the info

Kenmore Jul 12, 2017 2:58 PM

love it

Kumdogmillionaire Jul 12, 2017 7:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rocket49 (Post 7862615)
From the images it appears that all but the highest floors of the 80 story building will have balconies.

If that's the case, would that mean this building will have the highest balconies in Chicago?

I would imagine that the Aqua would still top this one being that balconies go all the way to the top on that one, but it will be close.

People also pointed out the Vista as well being much taller

Zerton Jul 12, 2017 7:25 PM

Now we know which building bKL has been spending all its time on. :haha:

This one is a stunner.

F1 Tommy Jul 12, 2017 9:17 PM

One can only hope this drives Related to do something even more amazing on the old Spire site!! I like this BKL design a lot.

the urban politician Jul 12, 2017 9:45 PM

I'm guessing this tower will be all condo?

Hence wait till the Vista Tower gets close to selling out before marketing these

rgolch Jul 12, 2017 9:52 PM

Yea, great building and great design. Fits into the skyline very well. bKL has outdone themselves. Given that it's a far ways away from being realized, I'm hoping the design doesn't change too much. Given what's happened with so many proposals in Chicago, height chop and VE'ing seems pretty likely, no?

BVictor1 Jul 12, 2017 9:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the urban politician (Post 7863460)
I'm guessing this tower will be all condo?

Hence wait till the Vista Tower gets close to selling out before marketing these

As will the tower to the south along LSD. The 40-story will be rental.

denizen467 Jul 12, 2017 11:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rlw777 (Post 7862860)
Huh? Nobody was suggesting bkl should be making design changes to the chandler. My comment was about the design ignoring it's context and not utilizing the party wall.

That's even more unrealistic. It would be like telling Cesar Pelli's firm to make Wolf Point reflect the context of the Apparel Mart. (Coincidentally, it solved its blank wall problems by punching out hundreds of windows.) Here, the architect was tasked with designing a trophy tower at the mouth of the river, the final piece of LSE, likely destined for the marketing name of "300 North Lake Shore Drive", as the last skyscraper that will ever be built along the lake near downtown (other than NWU selling its land and a theoretical teardown of the W or 540), so the obligation to pay homage to a blank wall on a squat ten year old condo nearby that looks like it was designed in the front seat of an impala while waiting for cheesecake factory takeout in the woodfield mall parking lot is rather close to zero. Sure, there would be ways to include a decent bustle or base or podium in the design, but they decided the best impact would be a slender, unadorned design. Keep in mind that marketing brochures and other imagery of the building trying to sell 7 and 8 figure condo units can present it as a standalone jewel this way rather than as just another tower glued onto neighborhood buildings. The far easier solution is a mural or ivy or punching out windows in the old building.

aaron38 Jul 13, 2017 1:53 AM

No one said pay homage to a blank wall. They said cover up the wall that was intentionally left blank because something else was going to be built up against it.

entreprelawyer Jul 13, 2017 2:20 AM

:cheers::cheers::worship::worship:
Quote:

Originally Posted by denizen467 (Post 7863533)
That's even more unrealistic. It would be like telling Cesar Pelli's firm to make Wolf Point reflect the context of the Apparel Mart. (Coincidentally, it solved its blank wall problems by punching out hundreds of windows.) Here, the architect was tasked with designing a trophy tower at the mouth of the river, the final piece of LSE, likely destined for the marketing name of "300 North Lake Shore Drive", as the last skyscraper that will ever be built along the lake near downtown (other than NWU selling its land and a theoretical teardown of the W or 540), so the obligation to pay homage to a blank wall on a squat ten year old condo nearby that looks like it was designed in the front seat of an impala while waiting for cheesecake factory takeout in the woodfield mall parking lot is rather close to zero. Sure, there would be ways to include a decent bustle or base or podium in the design, but they decided the best impact would be a slender, unadorned design. Keep in mind that marketing brochures and other imagery of the building trying to sell 7 and 8 figure condo units can present it as a standalone jewel this way rather than as just another tower glued onto neighborhood buildings. The far easier solution is a mural or ivy or punching out windows in the old building.

J_M_Tungsten Jul 13, 2017 2:50 AM

Edit

Kumdogmillionaire Jul 13, 2017 1:49 PM

Just get someone to paint a mural on it. Boom, art

Notyrview Jul 13, 2017 1:56 PM

+1 mural art

Mod can we please add chicago tag to this?

Zerton Jul 13, 2017 4:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ithakas (Post 7862437)
Is it out of the realm of possibility that they might be planning to squeeze a mid-rise building in between this and The Chandler's party wall someday down the line?

There's actually a tiny separate lot between these two buildings. I checked the zoning because I thought it was strange also. See below:

http://i.imgur.com/mxwJ2rZ.jpg

Source: https://gisapps.cityofchicago.org/ZoningMapWeb

TallBob Jul 14, 2017 6:26 AM

Very nice tower!!