SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Completed Project Threads Archive (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=348)
-   -   NEW YORK | Central Park Tower (Nordstrom)| 1,550 FT | 131 FLOORS (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=191095)

yankeesfan1000 Dec 2, 2012 7:49 PM

I don't see how 220 CPS has anything to do with this site, it seems that it's a purely Vornado problem. Unless Vornado blows Extell's socks off with an offer for the garage, I'm sure Extell is happy to continue to own the garage and thus prevent Vornado from erecting a tower that would block this buildings views, and be a direct competitor to this building and One57.

In regard to what Crawford posted, here's a quick read on Sheldon Solow's 57th St lot, the anonymous source in the deal said that Solow did it in part to protect the southern views in 9 West 57th St, which he also owns.

Regardless of what Solow does or doesn't do, 57th St will still be an impressive vertical corridor.

TowerVerre:) Dec 2, 2012 7:55 PM

I wouldn t be so happy because if the design is ugly a Big ugly tower would stand in the in the middle of midtown

MarshallKnight Dec 2, 2012 10:30 PM

Someone already had this idea a few months ago on the Tower Verre thread, but now I can't stop thinking about it: how amazing would it be to put something else in the MoMA location, and build a +1,550ft version of Jean Nouvel's design here?

The best design + the tallest tower = a gigantic middle finger to Amanda Burden.

...anyone want to whip up a render of that, or should I just go ahead and consign that idea to my wildest dreams?

applejacks Dec 3, 2012 12:36 AM

I like to think of skyscrapers relative to other cities to get a feeling for what we might be in for. At 1550 feet this building will be about as tall as Hong Kong's International Commerce Centre. When this building was under construction I was sheer awe at its massive size and figured New York would never build something to this level. Here's to hoping I'm wrong!

Wikipedia / WiNG:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...tre_201008.jpg

Zapatan Dec 3, 2012 1:21 AM

Yea for real... Having seen SWFC in person, I cannot wait to have a building of such scale in my favorite world city!

uaarkson Dec 3, 2012 1:52 AM

This tower will be much thinner than Hong Kong ICC, and will probably look taller as a result.

TowerVerre:) Dec 3, 2012 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MarshallKnight (Post 5922664)
Someone already had this idea a few months ago on the Tower Verre thread, but now I can't stop thinking about it: how amazing would it be to put something else in the MoMA location, and build a +1,550ft version of Jean Nouvel's design here?

The best design + the tallest tower = a gigantic middle finger to Amanda Burden.

...anyone want to whip up a render of that, or should I just go ahead and consign that idea to my wildest dreams?

That would be very great but i think it is a bit unrealistic. ?! :(

NYguy Dec 3, 2012 4:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by uaarkson (Post 5922861)
This tower will be much thinner than Hong Kong ICC, and will probably look taller as a result.

Not as slim as 432 Park, but a slender tower that has reduced number of apartments as it rises (from 4 to 3 to 2) and the top floor lounge/deck is at a 100 person capacity.

http://observer.com/2012/12/demoliti...-street-tower/

Demolition Begins on 1780 Broadway, Final Piece of Barnett’s 1,550-Foot 57th Street Tower

http://nyoobserver.files.wordpress.c...pg?w=600&h=450

By Matt Chaban
Dec 3, 2012

Quote:

No sooner did Extell Development file permits for a new 1,550-foot residential tower on the corner of 57th Street and Broadway then scaffolding started to go up around one of the final properties comprising Gary Barnett’s little west side assemblage that will be home to the city’s tallest tower. On Friday morning, The Observer happened to be out for a stroll on the crosstown boulevard when we noticed construction workers assembling a sidewalk shed, the first sign of construction commencement.

A source close to Extell confirms that demolition will soon begin on 1780 Broadway, a 12-story building that was once home to BF Goodrich. At the time, this corner of Gotham was known as Automobile Row during the Gilded Age. Because of an agreement with the city’s Landmarks Preservation Commission, the facade of 1780 Broadway must be retained as part of any new building, so this will presumably be a careful deconstruction.

It is worth noting that, according to construction documents, the hotel will occupy floors seven through 12, the same height as 1780 Broadway, so it could make a good entrance for the hotel, while the Nordstrams would presumably have its entrance on busy 57th Street, with something quieter for the apartment tenants on 58th Street.

Is this a sign that this new building might indeed start rising sooner rather than later? “Once a building is torn down, a new one tends to rise,” according to our source. “It’s quite possible.”

That would be an impressive feat, given that One57 is not even finished. Then again, if that building is indeed almost sold out, Mr. Barnett will need something else to start selling to the billionaires of the world, eh? Which begs the question, what could he possibly build next to top these two?

http://nyoobserver.files.wordpress.c...way_extell.jpg

http://nyoobserver.files.wordpress.c...0-10-06-21.jpg
Inside the old, trashed Morton Williams (Matt Chaban)

Eidolon Dec 3, 2012 6:42 PM

Great to see that this is moving ahead so soon, I personally didn't think this would happen for at least a few more weeks. The excitement builds!

:banana:

reencharles Dec 3, 2012 6:58 PM

Quote:

"Because of an agreement with the city's Landmarks Preservation Commission, the facade of 1780 Broadway must be retained as part of any new building, so this will presumably be a careful deconstruction. It is worth noting that, according to construction documents, the hotel will occupy floors seven through 12, the same height as 1780 Broadway, so it could make a good entrance for the hotel, while the Nordstrams would presumably have its entrance on busy 57th Street, with something quieter for the apartment tenants on 58th Street."
Nice! They will destroy the building, but at the same time maintaining the facade. Good news for NIMBYS and for us, skyscrapers lovers. :notacrook:

MarshallKnight Dec 3, 2012 6:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TowerVerre:) (Post 5923214)
That would be very great but i think it is a bit unrealistic. ?! :(

Totally, profoundly unrealistic.

Which is too bad, because the original 1,250ft Tower Verre design was incredible, and to lengthen it by an additional 300+ ft would be staggering. I guess I was making more of a commentary on the injustice done by lopping 200ft off of that brilliant tower, than on what specifically I'd like to see here at 225 W. 57th.

In a perfect world, the best designs would be rewarded with the most prominent slices of the skyline, making "Tall Verre" a perfect union.

But, I'm sure that Barnett will give us something brilliant.

yankeesfan1000 Dec 3, 2012 7:31 PM

This is coming together incredibly fast, but so far so good, the height and preservation of a classic NY facade. Hopefully the design is a knock out.

NYguy Dec 3, 2012 9:54 PM

Quote:

Is this a sign that this new building might indeed start rising sooner rather than later? “Once a building is torn down, a new one tends to rise,” according to our source. “It’s quite possible.”

That, and the fact that Barnett has begun filing building permits for construction tells me he is close to or believes he will have financing in hand to begin construction next year, a happy new year for us skyline watchers as new towers begin pushing to extend the skyline higher.

NYC2ATX Dec 4, 2012 8:32 AM

This may well be the most the New York skyline has changed since the 20s and early 30s. We're witnessing history.

NYguy Dec 4, 2012 1:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StatenIslander237 (Post 5924458)
This may well be the most the New York skyline has changed since the 20s and early 30s. We're witnessing history.

Yes we are. I've been wondering if this is what it was like back then, when just as you thought you knew what the skyline looked like, something else came along to change the game. At my most optimistic, I wouldn't have guessed to see so many large developments stirring at the same time. This one looks like it will top all others, at least to roof height/occupied space. We'll see if that holds true when all the dust settles.

JACKinBeantown Dec 4, 2012 8:06 PM

Hopefully the dust won't ever settle.

NYguy Dec 4, 2012 8:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JACKinBeantown (Post 5925012)
Hopefully the dust won't ever settle.

Surely they won't keep popping up at this pace, but I know what you mean. We're in a new golden age of skyscrapers in NY. I think history will look back at 9/11 as the lowest point, but a turning point as well. I've never witnessed such enthusiasm for skyscraper building in NY (even the NIMBYs are silenced a bit), and people thought it would be so different.

Don't know where she go this info, but here it is anyway. Don't take it as fact until proven otherwise.

http://www.t2conline.com/monopoly-on-57th/

Monopoly on 57th

http://www.t2conline.com/wp-content/...=90&w=479&zc=1

Suzanna Bowling
December 3, 2012

Quote:

You may have noticed that the Morton Williams building moved down the street. The reason is Nordstrom’s. Their new building will be 1700ft high making it the tallest apartment building in Manhattan. One 57th street is only a 1004ft high. Both are the babies of real estate mogul Gary Barnett of Extell Development will build this family based business deal. Before that the highest was at 1,397-foot tower under construction at the former Drake Hotel site at 432 Park Avenue South. One World Trade Center and 432 Park Avenue falls just under 1,400 feet in height. Nordstom itself will occupy 7 whole floors and will have approximately 280,000 square feet of space. Altogether 1.2 million square feet, with 800,00 going residential. The residential side will have 88-stories of residential feet with 233 units. The entrance will be 225 West 57th street. Look for another entrance at 1780 Broadway, but don’t look for much change as that is a historic landmark.

Documents were filed with the Department of Buildings. The DOB permit application reveals that AAI Architects and is scheduled for completion around 2017 or 2018.

Dac150 Dec 5, 2012 1:46 AM

Now it's 1700ft? :haha: Well, whatever the final height is, what's important is that things are rolling at a swift pace and in a positive way. One57 was the coming attraction . . . now it's time for the area to witness the main event.

Roadcruiser1 Dec 5, 2012 2:10 AM

If it became 2,000 feet I bet the whole forum would be full of drooling people. :haha::haha::haha::haha:

Hudson11 Dec 5, 2012 3:10 AM

1700 ft is only 150 ft above the highest occupied space, it is possible i suppose.