SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Canada (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Canadian Airport Thread (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=153826)

kwoldtimer Dec 7, 2016 7:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeftCoaster (Post 7644679)
Guess this links up with the 5 CRJ900s AC is taking delivery of in 2017.

AC playing it pretty safe out of YVR and YUL taking existing or strong routes, but really making a splash at YYZ with some 'unique' choices.

The really interesting routes will be once they start taking CS300s. Should open up some long/thin continental routes, hopefully including more central american flying.

I always thought YHM was their plan, YKF would be an interesting choice.

YHM would seem the more obvious choice, but there is competition there, including low-cost competition. K-C-W remains the most underserved city of size in Canada, with the daily WestJet to Calgary being the only competition at the moment.

SteelTown Dec 7, 2016 7:37 PM

YHM is probably their # 1 choice with WestJet, Air Canada and NewLeaf servicing the airport.

flipv Dec 7, 2016 7:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeftCoaster (Post 7644679)
Guess this links up with the 5 CRJ900s AC is taking delivery of in 2017.

AC playing it pretty safe out of YVR and YUL taking existing or strong routes, but really making a splash at YYZ with some 'unique' choices.

The really interesting routes will be once they start taking CS300s. Should open up some long/thin continental routes, hopefully including more central american flying.

I always thought YHM was their plan, YKF would be an interesting choice.

Indeed. I guess the main point is this isn't the AC of even 3-4 years ago. Not that long ago they offered flights to Providence, Grand Rapids, Dayton, and other small US cities they no longer fly to.

thenoflyzone Dec 7, 2016 8:19 PM

Interesting. YVR-PHX was already served seasonally by RV.
I guess the AC Express linkup is to chase connections to Asia, while RV is to serve the local market.

thenoflyzone Dec 7, 2016 8:20 PM

Interesting. YVR-PHX was already served seasonally by RV.
I guess the AC Express linkup is to chase connections to Asia, while RV is to serve the local market.

DrNest Dec 8, 2016 1:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kwoldtimer (Post 7644580)
One waits to see whether they choose YKF or YHM for their planned Southern Ontario hub. I've also heard YXU mentioned, but that seems less likely to me.

I would guess they would head into YHM, but YKF would also make sense. I wonder if they want direct competition with New Leaf at Hamilton, or try to poach a greater catchment area by offering services from Kitchener? I honestly don't know, but am interested to see what plays out.

kwoldtimer Dec 8, 2016 2:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrNest (Post 7645096)
I would guess they would head into YHM, but YKF would also make sense. I wonder if they want direct competition with New Leaf at Hamilton, or try to poach a greater catchment area by offering services from Kitchener? I honestly don't know, but am interested to see what plays out.

As I said, YHM seems the more obvious choice, but having competition from New Leaf, along with AC and WestJet's inevitable aggressive pricing, makes me wonder if YKF might not be a safer bet.

1overcosc Dec 8, 2016 3:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrNest (Post 7644279)
I can confirm that often aircraft are sat on some taxiway waiting for a gate to open. Usually it's around 10minutes or so, but 30mins is not rare either. One of the biggest problem with Pearson is the location of the terminals and the access in/out for aircraft. A toaster rack layout like at Atlanta for example is much more efficient, but sadly it would never get built that way here in Pearson.

I've heard various rumours as to why the Infield terminal isn't utilised more, but they are just rumours. They boil done to money and lack of interest from airlines to use it. Whether that's true officially, I do not know. From an aircraft perspective it would make sense to use it, although it's not as straightforward as it is getting passengers there.

Is the Infield Terminal still being used as a refugee gateway?

DrNest Dec 8, 2016 2:21 PM

I haven't seen any there in recent months.

flipv Dec 8, 2016 2:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1overcosc (Post 7645170)
Is the Infield Terminal still being used as a refugee gateway?

When refugees stopped arriving in government-sponsored flights (Feb 2016) the terminal was once again shuttered.

thenoflyzone Dec 8, 2016 5:13 PM

The timings on some of these routes aren't ideal for connections. The flights from MEM and SAT in particular arrive a bit too late in YYZ to maximize connections. Also the early morning departure on YUL-DFW means people arriving on international flights to YUL will need to overnight. Far from ideal. Will be interesting to see how these routes develop.

The following from airlineroute.net

eff 01MAY17 Toronto – Memphis 1 daily CRJ200 (Previously served until Sep 2012)
AC7271 YYZ1405 – 1520MEM CRJ D
AC7272 MEM1550 – 1904YYZ CRJ D

eff 01MAY17 Toronto – San Antonio 1 daily Embraer E175
AC7721 YYZ1250 – 1539SAT E75 D
AC7722 SAT1615 – 2020YYZ E75 D

eff 01MAY17 Toronto – Savannah 6 weekly CRJ200 (until 15OCT17, seasonal service)
AC7209 YYZ1235 – 1450SAV CRJ x6
AC7210 SAV1520 – 1735YYZ CRJ x6

eff 01MAY17 Vancouver – Phoenix 1 daily CRJ705 (overall Air Canada service converts to year-round, summer season operated by Air Canada Express)
AC8228 YVR0800 – 1100PHX CRA D
AC8229 PHX1040 – 1355YVR CRA D

eff 18MAY17 Vancouver – Denver 2 daily CRJ705 (Last served in September 2001)
AC8108 YVR1030 – 1420DEN CRA D
AC8110 YVR1435 – 1825DEN CRA D

AC8109 DEN0755 – 1000YVR CRA D
AC8111 DEN1455 – 1700YVR CRA D

eff 26MAY17 Montreal – Dallas/Ft. Worth 1 daily Embraer E175
AC7727 YUL0810 – 1115DFW E75 D
AC7728 DFW1150 – 1635YUL E75 D

jmt18325 Dec 8, 2016 5:35 PM

Some of them may be more aimed at O&D traffic.

G.S MTL Dec 9, 2016 6:29 PM

YYC

AEROMEXICO going daily MEX-YYC beginning June 2017

AM612 MEX1800 – 2230YYC 738 D
AM613 YYC2350 – 0605+1MEX 738 D

G.S MTL Dec 9, 2016 6:41 PM

20 Foreign airlines serving YUL summer/winter not including USA

Aeromexico
Air Algérie
Air China
Air France
Air Saint Pierre
British airways
Copa Airlines
Corsair
Cubana Airlines
Icelandair
KLM
Lufthansa
Qatar Airways
Royal Air Maroc
Royal Jordanian Airlines
Sata Air Azores
Swiss International Airlines
Tunisair
Turkish Airlines
WOW Air

SaskOttaLoo Dec 9, 2016 8:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tayser (Post 7643132)
Montreal 2015 (link)

Domestic: 5.874 million.
"International": 5.933 million.
"Transborder": 3.709 million.
("Real" international: 9.642 million).

Melbourne 2015 (link)

Domestic: 24.217 million
International: 8.772 million.

Toronto & Montreal: 508km (as the crow flies), 544km / 5h19m (google maps/directions). Reasonable train travel time of circa 5 hours.
Melbourne & Sydney: 706km (as the crow flies), 878km / 9h 29m (google maps/directions). Abysmal train travel time of 11h and 22m.

Toronto & Montreal have relatively few physical obstacles between them thus land routes are fairly direct & quick (regardless of the lack of high speed rail). I'm betting Toronto & Montreal were linked with the high-quality limited-access road between the two decades before Melbourne & Sydney were (it was only a few years ago that it became possible to drive from near the centres of each city and not meet a single traffic light in between).

Melbourne & Sydney have the great dividing range (including the highest part) between them and therefore land routes avoid the range and travel inland (shortest route "Hume Hwy" - figures above) or around the coast (longest "Princes Hwy" ~1038km / 12h39m).

Here's the annual report for 2015 from BITRE on domestic aviation in AU and a breakdown of city-pair traffic: http://bitre.gov.au/publications/ong...ivity_2015.pdf Is there an equivalent for Canada somewhere readily readable? It'd be interesting to compare Montreal & Toronto to Vancouver versus Melbourne & Sydney to Perth.

I looked this up and only found a Stats Can report from ~1999. It was a report series that had unfortunately been discontinued. Still, despite the 17 year gap, the pax volumes seemed like low generally in Canada vs. Australia. It was also very clear how Melbourne is a much more active aeronautic city vs. Montreal in terms of the strength of its connections, which is ironic given Montreal being the home of the international air agency...

SaskOttaLoo Dec 9, 2016 9:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flipv (Post 7644738)
Indeed. I guess the main point is this isn't the AC of even 3-4 years ago. Not that long ago they offered flights to Providence, Grand Rapids, Dayton, and other small US cities they no longer fly to.

I'm curious why AC moved away from the strategy of serving those smaller centres? Unfortunately it seems like AC is definitely not going to pick up the mantle from United in providing YXE and Regina with better cross-border options :(.

Cage Dec 9, 2016 9:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrNest (Post 7644279)
I've heard various rumours as to why the Infield terminal isn't utilised more, but they are just rumours. They boil done to money and lack of interest from airlines to use it. Whether that's true officially, I do not know. From an aircraft perspective it would make sense to use it, although it's not as straightforward as it is getting passengers there.

The biggest problem with activating the infield terminal is airline reluctance to be stationed there. Further there is a technical problem with the GTAA contracts with all the incumbent airlines. Specifically, GTAA cannot offer a discount to airlines for their agreement to be repositioned to the infield terminal. Fees are set for the whole airport and are not dependent on location. Further, if a discount is offered to one airline, it must be offered to all airlines (or atleast both AC and WS).

I suspect that one or both of Air Transat and Sunwing would move to the infield terminal if the price was right. However either or both of AC and WS would claim contractual rights to have the discount also apply to them.

AC is quite happy to have T3 filled up by TS and Sunwing just to make life harder for WS. WS feels the same about AC and T1 and the possibility of moving other Star airlines over to IFT.

jmt18325 Dec 9, 2016 9:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SaskOttaLoo (Post 7646915)
I'm curious why AC moved away from the strategy of serving those smaller centres? Unfortunately it seems like AC is definitely not going to pick up the mantle from United in providing YXE and Regina with better cross-border options :(.

Definitely not - that would be completely against their model.

LeftCoaster Dec 9, 2016 9:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by G.S MTL (Post 7646701)
YYC

AEROMEXICO going daily MEX-YYC beginning June 2017

AM612 MEX1800 – 2230YYC 738 D
AM613 YYC2350 – 0605+1MEX 738 D

Great news for YYC, especially that it's daily right off the bat. That incoming flight is brutal for connections but it's the same at YVR, though I guess at YVR you have the second block of Asia departures that it times up well with.

It does make for a great flight down to MEX though. I took the YVR one last spring and it was great. A little groggy on the first day but no wasted day flying and good in flight service.

kwoldtimer Dec 9, 2016 11:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by G.S MTL (Post 7646721)
20 Foreign airlines serving YUL summer/winter not including USA

Aeromexico
Air Algérie
Air China
Air France
Air Saint Pierre
British airways
Copa Airlines
Corsair
Cubana Airlines
Icelandair
KLM
Lufthansa
Qatar Airways
Royal Air Maroc
Royal Jordanian Airlines
Sata Air Azores
Swiss International Airlines
Tunisair
Turkish Airlines
WOW Air

I'm surprised that the Central Americans (LACSA/TACA/Avianca, or whatever they are called now) don't service Montreal. They did at one time, no?