SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   City Compilations (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=87)
-   -   SAN DIEGO | Boom Rundown, Vol. 2 (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=126473)

tyleraf Apr 27, 2014 10:25 PM

CivicSD was soliciting proposals from developers for 7th and Market and Park and Market. I know that they have narrowed both down to three developers each to develop their proposals. The final developers and designs should be released by the end of this year.

spoonman Apr 28, 2014 7:31 PM

Some great news for development. Doug Manchester's architect is now on the planning commission.

http://www.sandiegoreader.com/news/2...ng-commission/

mello Apr 28, 2014 8:37 PM

That is huge news, lets get to building! So Bill Fulton returned my email and he said: "Thank you, Joe. As you may have heard, Councilmember Harris has called a community meeting on this topic next Wednesday evening. You might consider attending and airing your opinion". Does anyone know where this meeting will be? I'm not sure if I want to bug Bill and email him back to ask.

I think we should all attend and also speak with him or anyone who will listen about the horseshit in Little Italy with CalTrans/Airport Authority trying to cut down building heights :cheers:

spoonman Apr 28, 2014 8:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mello (Post 6556608)
That is huge news, lets get to building! So Bill Fulton returned my email and he said: "Thank you, Joe. As you may have heard, Councilmember Harris has called a community meeting on this topic next Wednesday evening. You might consider attending and airing your opinion". Does anyone know where this meeting will be? I'm not sure if I want to bug Bill and email him back to ask.

I think we should all attend and also speak with him or anyone who will listen about the horseshit in Little Italy with CalTrans/Airport Authority trying to cut down building heights :cheers:

Hi Mello,

Funny I emailed Fulton too, and got the exact same response to go to the meeting. Must be a canned response.

I don't know where the meeting is, but it can probably be found with some googling. I encourage anyone that can attend to go...at the very least it will be entertaining to listen to the NIMBY's talk about their plants dying from the shade that a 60 ft building casts. Actually it may be more infuriating than entertaining...

Leo the Dog Apr 29, 2014 3:45 AM

I had family staying at the Westin Emerald Center and I noticed that many floors on the office side of the building were totally vacant. I just assumed that it would be 100% leased.

spoonman Apr 29, 2014 4:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leo the Dog (Post 6557081)
I had family staying at the Westin Emerald Center and I noticed that many floors on the office side of the building were totally vacant. I just assumed that it would be 100% leased.

I just read that there is a shortage of class A space downtown. Not sure about a particular building though.

spoonman Apr 29, 2014 4:32 AM

This summer Westfield is going to announce plans for 300units of residential at UTC. Also news will be released on updates to Horton Plaza.

http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2014/...?#article-copy

HurricaneHugo Apr 29, 2014 6:19 AM

But what about the traffic!

And talking about traffic, when is the Mid-Coast trolley Extension going to be finished?

And talking about the trolley, I took it today again and it was late and missed my connection again. We deserve better!

mello Apr 29, 2014 7:49 PM

The meeting concerning the Bay Park Density 60' residential structures is on Wednesday at 7 pm Bay Park Elementary 2443 Denver Street.

I'm not sure if I'm going to attend if it is only that one council member coming. Is Bill Fulton going to be there? He is the one we really need to speak with.

SPOONMAN: Now that the Clippers will soon be for sale do you think the sons of Irwin Jacobs might try to buy them and move them back to San Diego? They will have to pay at least 700 to 800 million for the team then build an arena, that is a huge investment. Will the NBA let them play at the sports arena here for 2 or 3 years in the interim?

eburress Apr 29, 2014 8:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mello (Post 6557856)
The meeting concerning the Bay Park Density 60' residential structures is on Wednesday at 7 pm Bay Park Elementary 2443 Denver Street.

I'm not sure if I'm going to attend if it is only that one council member coming. Is Bill Fulton going to be there? He is the one we really need to speak with.

SPOONMAN: Now that the Clippers will soon be for sale do you think the sons of Irwin Jacobs might try to buy them and move them back to San Diego? They will have to pay at least 700 to 800 million for the team then build an arena, that is a huge investment. Will the NBA let them play at the sports arena here for 2 or 3 years in the interim?

I sure hope so! It would be really great to have an NBA team back in San Diego and a new arena wouldn't be bad either.

spoonman Apr 29, 2014 8:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mello (Post 6557856)

I thought Bill Fulton said he would be there in the email. From what I remember, it almost read as though he was asking for support.

The Jacob's had crossed my mind as a potential buyer for the Clippers. That is certainly a tall order, and a large investment, but they would be the ones to pull it off. That said, they are tied into the Sacramento team at the moment. I bet money they at least have thought about it...whether they act is another thing.

nezbn22 Apr 29, 2014 11:25 PM

While I would obviously love to have the Clips back in SD, there's no way the Seattle ownership group lets a team go anywhere other than Seattle. The only reason they didn't get the Bucks is because Herb Kohl made it clear that he was only selling to someone who would keep them in Milwaukee. The next team for sale - and willing to move - is going to Seattle.

That being said, if we were able to swing another NBA team, they'd probably play at SDSU for a couple years while a new arena was built. My impression is that's a much better facility than Sports Arena. Man, that'd be sweet to get the Clips back down to SD. I'll keep dreaming...

tyleraf Apr 30, 2014 6:23 AM

I sure hope the Jacobs buy the Clippers. I would love to see them return home. Plus it would give them their own arena and market so they would no longer have to play second fiddle to the Lakers. An arena would be amazing downtown too. It would be nice if we could create our own little LA Live.

Regarding the clairmont height limits, I'm glad that Fulton at least seems to be considering them. Also, if you guys want to get a hold of him, try him on Twitter. He'll usually get back to you pretty quickly.

bushman61988 Apr 30, 2014 9:04 AM

Communication Works!

If you guys can, please show up to this community meeting at Bay Park. It's so important that we get involved and offer that "balance" at these kinds of community meetings... so many people come out to these public hearings to talk about what their against, but what I love so much about this forum, and this group since at least 2004 when I started following it, is that there's so much vision, hope, and discussion of what we're for instead of what we're against.

I just so happened to speak with Bill Fulton about this Clairemont Height Limit issue a couple of days ago and although he was clearly disappointed about some of the misinformation and politicization, he was heartened by several emails he got actually supporting higher densities and people who were angry at him for "giving up".

These emails are working!

It's been great for us to be talking about these issues amongst ourselves for the past 10+ years, showing pictures of all the great projects going on here and even in different parts of the country... but all that means nothing if we don't put all the images and words into action.

Even if it's as small as sending an email, it's SO POWERFUL. Important decision-makers like Bill Fulton, Mayor Faulconer, etc. actually do read these emails and comments... even if it's only their staff members relaying the messages, every voice counts. And I can tell you that I saw Bill Fulton personally reading the comments from that Voice of San Diego article on his phone, and so posting comments and especially factual rebuttals to some of the ridiculous statements/comments people make against this proposal truly makes a difference.

So again, please continue to not only send emails and post comments, but also try to take it up a step and actually be present at the meetings and speak in favor of higher densities, and come out this Wednesday to the workshop.

As for the long term, I really hope that some of us get involved with local neighborhood planning groups and commissions... you'd be surprised how many of these board members know very little about city planning issues, attracting private developers, or transportation.

Prahaboheme Apr 30, 2014 7:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tyleraf (Post 6558563)
I sure hope the Jacobs buy the Clippers. I would love to see them return home. Plus it would give them their own arena and market so they would no longer have to play second fiddle to the Lakers. An arena would be amazing downtown too. It would be nice if we could create our own little LA Live.

Regarding the clairmont height limits, I'm glad that Fulton at least seems to be considering them. Also, if you guys want to get a hold of him, try him on Twitter. He'll usually get back to you pretty quickly.

I think LA Live attempts to create what San Diego already has authentically -- an entertainment district ala the Gas Lamp. The issue I find with LA Live is that it seems to be an island upon itself -- a destination rather than an extension of downtown LA (although perhaps that'll change over time as the adjacent area builds out).

I'd love to see an arena in downtown SD so long as it is integrated into the urban fabric (like Gallery Place Stadium in DC) and is easily accessible to the trolley.

spoonman Apr 30, 2014 11:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prahaboheme (Post 6559192)
I think LA Live attempts to create what San Diego already has authentically -- an entertainment district ala the Gas Lamp. The issue I find with LA Live is that it seems to be an island upon itself -- a destination rather than an extension of downtown LA (although perhaps that'll change over time as the adjacent area builds out).

I'd love to see an arena in downtown SD so long as it is integrated into the urban fabric (like Gallery Place Stadium in DC) and is easily accessible to the trolley.

I agree. I think LA Live is a good venue, but we do not need that as we already have an established urban entertainment district. Ballpark Village will probably end up being a defacto LA Live anyhow with some shops and restaurants, which again will be all that is needed given the established presence of Gaslamp nearby.

Leo the Dog May 1, 2014 3:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eburress (Post 6557890)
I sure hope so! It would be really great to have an NBA team back in San Diego and a new arena wouldn't be bad either.

Been saying this for years...SD should lure the clippers back. LA is a Lakers town. Clippers will always be 2nd class citizens up there.

East Village arena, it'd probably get used 100 nights a year.

tyleraf May 1, 2014 3:25 PM

9th and Broadway is now topped out. You can see it on the webcam here. http://www.earthcam.net/projects/bridgehousing/

SDCAL May 1, 2014 5:11 PM

I don't mean to be a Debbie Downer here, just being realistic: the Clippers are not coming back. This story of racism and overcoming racism has gone globally viral, it's tied the clippers to LA more than they ever have been before and solidified their identity to LA, and there are about 10 prominent people who have already come forward expressing interest in purchasing the team (including Oprah) and none of them appear to be tied to SD.

mello May 1, 2014 5:38 PM

I went to the NIMBY fest in Bay Park last night at the elementary school on Denver street and it was jammed. People were out campaigning for potential councilmembers etc. I only stayed for 30 minutes couldn't even get a seat inside and it was just too much.

I spoke with a guy who was familiar with the grand plan maybe a realtor and he said because of the 30 foot limit west of 5 they are looking to seriously upzone the Morena strip at the base of Bay Park because it doesn't have that set in stone height limit.

To me it looks like they want to set up sort of a long linear Little Italy style neighborhood with 5 floor structures lining Morena. He said tons of existing old funky 2 story apts would get torn out and other relics from the 50's. Driving around Morena it is looking blighted and very outdated. There are a couple of cool restaurants and a popular butcher shop. I definitely see Fultons vision and this would be a poplular place for young tech workers to live and be able to take the trolley to work downtown or North to UTC/UCSD.