SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   City Discussions (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Balconies, design vs livability (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=240003)

Engineerding Aug 14, 2019 11:57 PM

Balconies, design vs livability
 
A question I have. Balconies seem to be universally hated when it comes to tower design here. Any tower with them, people would rather it didn’t.

But when it comes to living in a tower, I can’t imagine not having one. It’s great to be able to go outside without a trek downstairs.


At the end of the day, which one is more important?

jtown,man Aug 15, 2019 2:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Engineerding (Post 8658774)
A question I have. Balconies seem to be universally hated when it comes to tower design here. Any tower with them, people would rather it didn’t.

But when it comes to living in a tower, I can’t imagine not having one. It’s great to be able to go outside without a trek downstairs.


At the end of the day, which one is more important?

The classic American individual vs. the common good.

Good question, I have no answer lol

Steely Dan Aug 15, 2019 2:04 AM

I certainly don't universally hate balconies on skyscrapers.

In the hands of a skilled architect they can be very strong design elements.

https://images.adsttc.com/media/imag...jpg?1414426108
Source: https://images.adsttc.com/media/imag...jpg?1414426108


https://sgcweb.s3.wasabisys.com/bdcn...?itok=LS3quyVb
Source: https://sgcweb.s3.wasabisys.com/bdcn...?itok=LS3quyVb


Full disclosure: I was a Marina City resident for 6 years and loved the shit outta my giant balcony.

The North One Aug 15, 2019 2:11 AM

It's not so much we hate balconies it's just that 99% of the time they're a design after thought so it ends up looking terrible.

I would live perfectly fine without one, especially if my building had say rooftop access and if there were public parks nearby and I wouldn't consider an elevator ride a "trek". There's not much you can really do on average balconies anyway. I guess they're essential if you're a smoker, a private rooftop seems a thousand times better than any cramped balcony on a high-rise though.

jtown,man Aug 15, 2019 1:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The North One (Post 8658915)
It's not so much we hate balconies it's just that 99% of the time they're a design after thought so it ends up looking terrible.

I would live perfectly fine without one, especially if my building had say rooftop access and if there were public parks nearby and I wouldn't consider an elevator ride a "trek". There's not much you can really do on average balconies anyway. I guess they're essential if you're a smoker, a private rooftop seems a thousand times better than any cramped balcony on a high-rise though.

I take the elevator 6 times a day even if I "stay home" all day long due to taking my dog out. It is a trek. Sometimes it takes 3-5 minutes to get an elevator due to rush hour.

Crawford Aug 15, 2019 1:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jtown,man (Post 8659205)
I take the elevator 6 times a day even if I "stay home" all day long due to taking my dog out. It is a trek. Sometimes it takes 3-5 minutes to get an elevator due to rush hour.

This is why I prefer low floors and no doormen. I don't want to deal with elevators or mandatory chit-chat.

I also don't get balconies, which are useless except for storing bikes. Terraces make sense, standard balconies are ugly garbage.

suburbanite Aug 15, 2019 1:45 PM

I've lived on the 30th floor with a balcony for years and I can probably count on two hands how many times I've been out there for more than 10 minutes. Usually they're too narrow to have a big enough table for more than 4 people. If I want to read outside I'll go to the lakeside park 5 minutes away. 90% of its use is for smoking if I'm having people over and I definitely would not count that as an essential component of the livability of the place.

Developers in Toronto are still building balconies on 60+ floor buildings. Anything above a ~12th floor terrace is useless to me.

niwell Aug 15, 2019 1:51 PM

I have two minds of the balcony issue. They can be a nice amenity providing they area actually large enough to be a usable space, such as the ones on Marina City (and many older, more banal buildings). But, often times they are so tiny as to be unusable and simply listed as an amenity for the sake of it. I'm not particularly afraid of heights but the thought of being on a postage stamp sized one 50+ floors up isn't too appealing.

Often times "artistic" balconies, even when they do add legitimate design appeal, fall in the tiny, unusable category.

And yeah, when I lived in even a smaller highrise I found the elevator a trek, and is honestly the limiting factor for me wanting to live in one. Generally the older I get the less appealing it is to me. Friends who live 40+ storeys up in brand new buildings have a litany of horror stories about elevator issues which doesn't help. Particularly given the elevator tech shortage here right now.

Steely Dan Aug 15, 2019 1:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by suburbanite (Post 8659219)
I've lived on the 30th floor with a balcony for years and I can probably count on two hands how many times I've been out there for more than 10 minutes. Usually they're too narrow to have a big enough table for more than 4 people. If I want to read outside I'll go to the lakeside park 5 minutes away. 90% of its use is for smoking if I'm having people over and I definitely would not count that as an essential component of the livability of the place.



i lived on the 33rd floor of marina city for 6 yeas and used my giant balcony (175 SF) all the time.

the single most important aspect of balconies is being able to grill. if you're not a griller, then that removes a large chunk of the reason for having them.

my balcony was also big enough to have a table and chairs for 8, so it was great for having people over, especially smokers.

it also had a great view looking west down the river canyon, so it was the perfect spot to chill with a book and a beer and enjoy some fresh air.

and watching thunderstorms out there was THE BEST!



i really do miss my highrise balcony. but now that i'm a family man, i would not want to do the highrise living thing with young children. kudos to those that do it though!

suburbanite Aug 15, 2019 1:58 PM

Very few places here let you have a barbecue on the balcony. Mine provides commercial-grade barbecues on the common terrace level, so I'll go down sometimes and cook up 6 chicken breasts or whatever at once.

Steely Dan Aug 15, 2019 2:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by suburbanite (Post 8659232)
Very few places here let you have a barbecue on the balcony..

that's unfortunate. grilling is at least 50% of the reason for even having a balcony in the first place.




Quote:

Originally Posted by suburbanite (Post 8659232)
Mine provides commercial-grade barbecues on the common terrace level, so I'll go down sometimes and cook up 6 chicken breasts or whatever at once.

my wife's old highrise condo in the west loop was like that. it was my least favorite aspect of her building. i hated lugging all of the food and grilling stuff down the hall, onto the elevator, and down to the common area terrace, just to grill some meat. and god forbid if you forgot the marinade or something else upstairs or if the two grill stations were already being used by others.

at marina city, when i wanted to grill, i simply stepped out onto my balcony, fired up the grill, and then grilled my meat. the logistics of food prep and clean-up were an order of magnitude easier having the grill and my kitchen separated by just 15 feet, instead of 150 feet and an 11 floor elevator ride.

Engineerding Aug 15, 2019 2:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steely Dan (Post 8659226)
i lived on the 33rd floor of marina city for 6 yeas and used my giant balcony (175 SF) all the time.

the single most important aspect of balconies is being able to grill. if you're not a griller, then that removes a large chunk of the reason for having them.

my balcony was also big enough to have a table and chairs for 8, so it was great for having people over, especially smokers.

it also had a great view looking west down the river canyon, so it was the perfect spot to chill with a book and a beer and enjoy some fresh air.

and watching thunderstorms out there was THE BEST!

i really do miss my highrise balcony. but now that i'm a family man, i would not want to do the highrise living thing with young children. kudos to those that do it though!

Oh yes, I am a weather person. Rain or snow, I like to pop out there and observe.

Engineerding Aug 15, 2019 2:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The North One (Post 8658915)
It's not so much we hate balconies it's just that 99% of the time they're a design after thought so it ends up looking terrible.

I would live perfectly fine without one, especially if my building had say rooftop access and if there were public parks nearby and I wouldn't consider an elevator ride a "trek". There's not much you can really do on average balconies anyway. I guess they're essential if you're a smoker, a private rooftop seems a thousand times better than any cramped balcony on a high-rise though.

I will often walk straight out of the shower in my robe or less to the balcony.

Nothing like inhaling some cool air out there.

MonkeyRonin Aug 15, 2019 2:42 PM

If I'm higher than the 10th floor or so, I'd prefer an unobstructed view to having a balcony.

I love outdoor spaces, but once you get too high balconies become too cold & windy to be of much use on all but the hottest days here, in my experience. It's somewhat dependant on how it's configured, where it's situated, and which direction it's facing of course; but even the balcony on my old 15th floor apartment was usually too cold. I did appreciate being able to barbeque though.

Steely Dan Aug 15, 2019 2:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MonkeyRonin (Post 8659284)
but once you get too high balconies become too cold/windy to be of much use on all but the hottest days, in my experience.

my experience of living on the 33rd floor of marina city for 6 years was radically different from your experience with highrise baclonies.



disclaimer: i seem to have a much higher tolerance for colder temps than the average human.i can thrown on jeans and a sweat shirt and go read a book outside on a 55 degree day no problem. my wife, on the other hand, gets "chilly" if the outside air temp is below 75 degrees.

Cirrus Aug 15, 2019 3:13 PM

It's not that balconies are impossible to make look good. It's just that it's hard.

If you tack them on the side of a building with heavy-looking materials, they're extremely garish, offensively ugly:

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...bd7f5820_c.jpg
from google street view


If you recess them into the facade and use lighter materials (ie railings rather than walls), they blend a lot better. This method makes for perfectly nice and inoffensive background buildings that most people don't think of as either specifically ugly nor specifically beautiful.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...7eb68532_c.jpg
from google street view


You can use that same method with a glass building and the effect is similar. Totally acceptable and appropriate for most buildings. Blends into the background.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...7157e82c_c.jpg
from google street view


Or you can use them as a sculptural element themselves, to make a unique landmark. These buildings will be controversial; some people will love them and others will hate them. They're less safe but more artsy than method 2. Steely Dan posted good examples above, but there are plenty around the world. HERE is someone's Pinterest board for sculptural skyscraper balconies, with an example below.

https://live.staticflickr.com/665/23...46e62092_z.jpg
from jiram bernardo on flickr

dave8721 Aug 15, 2019 3:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steely Dan (Post 8659242)
that's unfortunate. grilling is at least 50% of the reason for even having a balcony in the first place.





my wife's old highrise condo in the west loop was like that. it was my least favorite aspect of her building. i hated lugging all of the food and grilling stuff down the hall, onto the elevator, and down to the common area terrace, just to grill some meat. and god forbid if you forgot the marinade or something else upstairs or if the two grill stations were already being used by others.

at marina city, when i wanted to grill, i simply stepped out onto my balcony, fired up the grill, and then grilled my meat. the logistics of food prep and clean-up were an order of magnitude easier having the grill and my kitchen separated by just 15 feet, instead of 150 feet and an 11 floor elevator ride.

Balcony grilling is illegal in Florida as well. I would actually be surprised if it is not in fact illegal in Chicago as well (obvious fire hazard).

Steely Dan Aug 15, 2019 3:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dave8721 (Post 8659357)
Balcony grilling is illegal in Florida as well. I would actually be surprised if it is not in fact illegal in Chicago as well (obvious fire hazard).

it's totally legal in chicago.

many (most?) buildings in chicago outlaw wood/charcoal grills on balconies, but gas grills are usually allowed.

Engineerding Aug 15, 2019 3:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dave8721 (Post 8659357)
Balcony grilling is illegal in Florida as well. I would actually be surprised if it is not in fact illegal in Chicago as well (obvious fire hazard).

Gas is fine. Charcoal is a no.

/taste the meat, not the heat.

Ricochet48 Aug 15, 2019 3:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dave8721 (Post 8659357)
Balcony grilling is illegal in Florida as well. I would actually be surprised if it is not in fact illegal in Chicago as well (obvious fire hazard).

Definitely not illegal. I grill every week on my highrise Chicago balcony. Our building does not allow charcoal though. I have heard some do (but it's rare and HOA contingent).

harryc Aug 15, 2019 3:57 PM

Aqua
 
Chicago | Aqua by Harry Carmichael, on Flickr

Chicago | Aqua by Harry Carmichael, on Flickr

harryc Aug 15, 2019 4:02 PM

Marina City
 
Marina City by Harry Carmichael, on Flickr

Steely Dan Aug 15, 2019 4:06 PM

views from my old marina city balcony:

https://i.postimg.cc/W4dPBWfw/view-1.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/MGg8q7C2/view-4.jpg


i miss it. we still own the unit. it may become our pied-à-terre in our golden years, but we're renting it out these days.

i've also thought about using it as a carrot to get my kids to stick around in chicago as young adults instead of just moving to austin or denver or wherever kids will move en masse to in 20 years.

"hey son, you just graduated from college, we've got a great little apartment in the heart of downtown chicago that i can give you a great deal on if you wanna move back home, nudge nudge"

the urban politician Aug 15, 2019 5:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steely Dan (Post 8659413)
i've also thought about using it as a carrot to get my kids to stick around in chicago as young adults instead of just moving to austin or denver or wherever kids will move en masse to in 20 years.

"hey son, you just graduated from college, we've got a great little apartment in the heart of downtown chicago that i can give you a great deal on if you wanna move back home, nudge nudge"

^ I've thought about my rentals playing a similar role for my kids. The only downtown unit I have is in 235 W VB which also has a south facing balcony with views that will never be blocked. It's not as cool as Marina City, though.

BrandonJXN Aug 15, 2019 5:56 PM

If I were to live in a highrise in Chicago, I would easily pick Coast in LSE. I absolutely love it's uniformity and it's recessed balconies are it's main selling point.

https://scontent-sjc3-1.xx.fbcdn.net...2f&oe=5DD7DF5E
Me

The North One Aug 15, 2019 6:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cirrus (Post 8659327)
If you recess them into the facade and use lighter materials (ie railings rather than walls), they blend a lot better. This method makes for perfectly nice and inoffensive background buildings that most people don't think of as either specifically ugly nor specifically beautiful.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...7eb68532_c.jpg
from google street view


You can use that same method with a glass building and the effect is similar. Totally acceptable and appropriate for most buildings. Blends into the background.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...7157e82c_c.jpg
from google street view

Both of these look terrible though. But I agree it's hard to make them look good.

dave8721 Aug 15, 2019 6:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ricochet48 (Post 8659375)
Definitely not illegal. I grill every week on my highrise Chicago balcony. Our building does not allow charcoal though. I have heard some do (but it's rare and HOA contingent).

Here is the Florida law. They actually just legalized small electric "grills" for balcony use in 2018 but gas and charcoal and any decent sized grills are against the fire code. Basically hot plates were legalized for outdoor use.
Quote:

The current edition of the Code is based on the 2015 NFPA 1 Fire Code. With respect to cooking equipment, Section 10.10.6.1 prohibits using or kindling hibachis, grills, or other similar devices for cooking, heating, or any other purpose on any balcony, under any overhang portion, or within 10 feet of any structure, other than in one and two-family dwellings. However, Section 10.10.6.1.1 allows listed electric portable, tabletop grills, or other similar apparatus, so long as they do not exceed 200 square inches of cooking surface.
One more thing, it would be illegal to grill (or even store a grill) within 10 feet of one of your Chicago 3-flats if they were in Florida. They are only legal in one or two family dwellings.

Steely Dan Aug 15, 2019 6:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dave8721 (Post 8659635)
One more thing, it would be illegal to grill (or even store a grill) within 10 feet of one of your Chicago 3-flats if they were in Florida. They are only legal in one or two family dwellings.

florida is dumb.

i've got a gas grill on the back deck of our 3-flat, as do both of our neighbors upstairs.

as does every other person in the city of chicago. what's up with florida's grill paranoia?

for a city as paranoid about fire as chicago is, you'd think the situation would be reversed.

The Chemist Aug 15, 2019 11:39 PM

Here in China pretty much all apartment buildings have balconies, but since most people choose to glass them in entirely (or they are built that way in the first place) they're more like sun rooms rather than true balconies. And only the most expensive buildings have balconies that are actually usable for spending time on - in most buildings they're pretty tiny (mine is only about 45 square feet). Most people just use them for laundry - without a dryer, clothes dry by far the fastest when they're on the balcony.

Hindentanic Aug 16, 2019 12:14 AM

A truly hideous "postage stamp" example can be seen in the balconies of the Alteza Condos atop San Antonio's Grand Hyatt by Arquitectonica:

http://ie-services.com/wp-content/up...randHyatt3.jpg
[Photo from Intelligent Engineering Services)

https://images.skyscrapercenter.com/...yer-boake4.jpg
(Photo by Terri Meyer Boake on CTBUH)

https://images.skyscrapercenter.com/...yer-boake6.jpg
(Photo by Terri Meyer Boake on CTBUH)

I am surprised the drop down the sheer face doesn't require a "people catching" netting, but then nobody is ever seen using these balconies anyway.
They exist to sell condos.

https://sabor2.connectmls.com/PICS/6..._DSC06375.JPEG
(Photo from San Antonio Board of Realtors on KWSanAntonio)


I'm not a fan of this planar, austere, pattern-making style, as it tends to come across as more mediocre and cheap rather than modernist Rietveld artsy.
Once upon a time we built operable bay windows and wrap-around verandahs or lanai, nowadays we get stubby scraps of bite-sized Balcony Bits:

https://3snpdc2ba9m5uwuk62n8cs84-wpe...1-1024x682.jpg
(Photo by Kathryn Boyd-Batstone on the Rivard Report)

https://media.atre.yardi.com/1/58130...ard-3-copy.png
(Montage from Multi-Housing News)

Desperation for development, the requirements of marketing, and the most marginal of low-cost construction leaves us with this stuff.
If they stripped the patterns of stubby bits off we might see how truly banal this throwaway architecture is...:

https://edge.media.datahc.com/HI554510782.jpg
(Photo from Hotels Combined)

...Quick, screw back on some decorative balcony railings to fool them!

.
.
.

Speaking of fooling them with decoration, here is the crassly PoMo historicist Courtyard San Antonio Riverwalk by Marriott:

https://www.emporis.com/images/show/...rys-street.jpg
(Photo by Randall Crane on Emporis)

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/b4/f0...1a70d1c335.jpg
(Photo from Marriott.com hosted on Pinterest)

It's got upgraded window trim, dainty lanterns, Italianate columns, and yet it all still adds up to an unsatisfactory urbanist experience.

A comparison can be made with the Omni La Mansión del Rio, nearby at only 200 ft. away and which also has tiny balconies,
dainty lanterns, columns, and historicist dressing:

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/90/02...bac525cf0c.jpg
(Photo from calculatedtraveller.com hosted on Pinterest)

https://i1.wp.com/www.mommytravels.n...-Riverwalk.jpg
(Photo from Mommy Travels)

Don't be fooled by the historicist style, this building is from 1968 and is built wrapping around an interior parking garage.
Both hotels are on directly the Riverwalk and both architectures use short decorative balconies,
but one contributes to creating a great urban place, while the other is a colorized architectural cartoon.

.
.
.

Pity the city's authentically historic Aurora Apartments have been reduced to a neglected retirement home on public subsidy orbiting on the
outskirts of downtown, as it has picturesque balconies and operable bay windows. Why can we not build more like this?

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...an_antonio.jpg
(Photo by Larry D. Moore on Wikimedia)

RCDC Aug 16, 2019 12:37 AM

Stuck on balconies with metal railings suck, they only serve to check a real estate "feature" box. Balconies are much better when they're integrated into the design and feel safe and comfortable.

https://live.staticflickr.com/8499/8...3c609934_z.jpg
https://www.flickr.com/photos/rogersg/8333211062

https://i.imgur.com/CSbZFup.jpg
https://www.winstonre.com/1116-watergate-south

MonkeyRonin Aug 16, 2019 1:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Chemist (Post 8659948)
Here in China pretty much all apartment buildings have balconies, but since most people choose to glass them in entirely (or they are built that way in the first place) they're more like sun rooms rather than true balconies. And only the most expensive buildings have balconies that are actually usable for spending time on - in most buildings they're pretty tiny (mine is only about 45 square feet). Most people just use them for laundry - without a dryer, clothes dry by far the fastest when they're on the balcony.


You see some of that in the older rental towers in Toronto, where people have screened in the balcony to get a bit more living space. Which begs the question: why not just add that space to the interior in the first place? It'd be of a bit more use than the bicycle storage/smoking patio that most people actually seem to use their balconies for.


https://live.staticflickr.com/2037/2...9bbeca9b_z.jpg
St. Jamestown
by Paul Kulig, on Flickr

Shawn Aug 16, 2019 2:15 AM

High balconies (20 floors and up) can be fine functional spaces if they’re recessed. This is the standard for Japanese residential towers. Yeah, the look gets repetitive, but it keeps lines sleek and sharp, and it looks less cheap.

I strongly dislike the aesthetics of 95% of exposed balconies on towers. Miami has what, the 4th largest skyline in North America at this point, no? By all rights, I should like (or at least respect) that skyline, but all those exposed balconies cheapens the look to such an extent that looking past it for me is impossible.

The North One Aug 16, 2019 3:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hindentanic (Post 8659984)

https://edge.media.datahc.com/HI554510782.jpg
(Photo from Hotels Combined)

...Quick, screw back on some decorative balcony railings to fool them!

This is criminal. I want whoever is responsible prosecuted and jailed. They are a danger to society.

Omaharocks Aug 16, 2019 3:48 PM

Athens, Greece comes to mind here.

Nearly the entire city is midrises with ugly, but very functional balconies. They practically define the look of the place, all with enormous shade awnings.

Barrelfish Aug 16, 2019 4:31 PM

The Vista balconies are disappointing, but Jeanne and Studio Gang are doing some really creative things with balconies. At their best, they become an integral part of the design.

Aqua has already been mentioned, but a few more examples:

Quote:

Amsterdam Tower (which is 2 towers) pushes the walls of the facade out and has balconies recessed within it, playing with angles to make it visually interesting

https://studiogang.com/img/bFl3UW1rc...ndering-03.jpg

https://studiogang.com/img/dWVJM2ZTL...ndering-02.jpg

Quote:

City Hyde Park
takes the opposite route and juts out the balconies. Alternating trapezoids of balconies and window bays give it a unified (if somewhat chaotic) look

https://studiogang.com/img/L2t5bVJ5O...os-final-2.jpg
Quote:

MIRA in SF is my personal favorite. A similar principle to City Hyde Park, but part of a spiraling tower.

https://studiogang.com/img/WHNwZlRGR...up-updated.jpg



jtown,man Aug 16, 2019 6:37 PM

Why can't we build like we used to? Well, we used to have near slave wages and most people(the vast majority) lived terrible impoverished lives even in the West.

If we want extremely high-quality buildings, it's gonna cost A LOT. But the people building it make a decent living, so thats a good thing. Sure, there are permitting costs and all the other crap that adds up, but everything makes sense.

SIGSEGV Aug 16, 2019 6:51 PM

In Romania many people have glassed off their balconies to make a sunroom/garden of sorts. I kind of like the idea of a convertible balcony, does such a thing exist? A sunroom would be nice in the winter...

plinko Aug 16, 2019 9:31 PM

I used to live in a relatively tall building in Phoenix of all places with a rather large balcony on the 16th floor. It was north facing so actually useful, but architecturally dreadful. I stored 2 bicycles out there, took many dates out there, watched parades from it, watched three different swat team raids in the neighborhood, and went out there whenever the air conditioning in the apartment was too cold (the building was from 1964 with a chiller loop so the AC was either 'ON' or 'OFF' at about 60 degrees). Kind of wonderful to go from 60 degrees to 115 in an instant. I had floor to ceiling glass so never closed the blinds (why would I?).

The thing I loved the most about it though was watching the sky. Watching the sun come up over Four Peaks and down over the White Tanks (6 months out of the year), summer dust and thunderstorms rolling across the Valley, and the wonderful cacaphony of traffic and the city below (for short time periods).

That being said, I was always afraid my cat was going to fall off of it. I can't imagine having my children out there. Too easy and quick for one of them to make a mistake.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...64a315ac_b.jpg
phx369 by Michael Stroh, on Flickr

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...5b109214_b.jpg
phx158 by Michael Stroh, on Flickr

If I had a south facing unit, I would have gotten this city view, but the majority of the time I would have had heavy drapes closed to block out the sun and heat. No bueno...

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...63a1bf94_b.jpg
phx004 by Michael Stroh, on Flickr

bobdreamz Aug 17, 2019 1:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shawn (Post 8660095)
High balconies (20 floors and up) can be fine functional spaces if they’re recessed. This is the standard for Japanese residential towers. Yeah, the look gets repetitive, but it keeps lines sleek and sharp, and it looks less cheap.

I strongly dislike the aesthetics of 95% of exposed balconies on towers. Miami has what, the 4th largest skyline in North America at this point, no? By all rights, I should like (or at least respect) that skyline, but all those exposed balconies cheapens the look to such an extent that looking past it for me is impossible.

I figured this is one of the main reasons why many don't like Miami's skyline but it's trying with some of the newer towers that have been built / proposed.

Una | 613 ft | 47 Fl | Proposed

https://i.imgur.com/WNjP2ne.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/WNjP2ne.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/6W2tfs7.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/6W2tfs7.jpg

Aston Martin Residences | 817ft | 70 fl | U/C

http://i1119.photobucket.com/albums/...ps139xfmok.jpg
http://i1119.photobucket.com/albums/...ps139xfmok.jpg

http://i1119.photobucket.com/albums/...psnonbi7xx.jpg
http://i1119.photobucket.com/albums/...psnonbi7xx.jpg

Paramount | 699 ft | 213 m | 60 fl |U/C

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4902/...47503bd3_c.jpg
https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4902/...47503bd3_c.jpg

Elysee | 644ft | 57 fl | U/C

http://i1119.photobucket.com/albums/...psqhvyv46w.jpg
http://i1119.photobucket.com/albums/...psqhvyv46w.jpg

Echo Brickell | 750 FT | 60 FL | Built

http://www.cfearchitects.com/wp-cont...brickell-1.jpg
http://www.cfearchitects.com/wp-cont...brickell-1.jpg

http://cdn.skyrisecities.com/sites/d...2534-78230.jpg
http://cdn.skyrisecities.com/sites/d...2534-78230.jpg

Four Seasons Hotel & Tower l 240m l 64fl | Built

https://www.emporis.com/images/show/...-southwest.jpg
https://www.emporis.com/images/show/...-southwest.jpg

One Thousand Museum | 215m | 706ft | 60 fl | T/O

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4837/...7473891c_h.jpg
https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4837/...7473891c_h.jpg

https://static1.squarespace.com/stat...g?format=1000w
https://static1.squarespace.com/stat...g?format=1000w

https://static1.squarespace.com/stat...g?format=1000w
https://static1.squarespace.com/stat...g?format=1000w

https://static1.squarespace.com/stat...g?format=1000w
https://static1.squarespace.com/stat...g?format=1000w

jtown,man Aug 17, 2019 3:26 AM

Is NIMBY a thing in Miami?

dave8721 Aug 17, 2019 3:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jtown,man (Post 8661147)
Is NIMBY a thing in Miami?

Against skyscrapers in general? Not really. Probably a by-product of having such a large latin american community. Random highrises are just accepted as part of city living. Most complaints are just from people living in an existing tower complaining that a new tower would block their views.
And there is a lot of nimby-ism from the gazillions of new downtown residents against things that existed before they got there (i.e. clubs, noise, ULTRA...etc).

muppet Aug 17, 2019 9:05 AM

This is what I like to see, not just style, but them being used (and not for washing or parking bikes).

Monaco
https://s16.postimg.cc/hai4ljss5/monaco.jpg
https://www.skyscrapercity.com/showt...1902518&page=3


Spain
https://d.ibtimes.co.uk/en/full/1416...-festivals.jpg
https://www.skyscrapercity.com/showt...1902518&page=5

China
https://i.postimg.cc/rwRhDbDP/gz.jpg
https://www.reddit.com/r/pics/commen...guizhou_china/


If they're not in use alot, then they need to add to the architecture.

-Not balconies I know, but you get the idea:

Malta
https://i.postimg.cc/6qgGDKcn/map.jpg

India
https://travelguide.michelin.com/sit...?itok=iKVktTsK
https://travelguide.michelin.com/asi...twon-ki-haveli

muppet Aug 17, 2019 9:19 AM

As opposed to this, the Heygate Estate that was long considered the ugliest building in London. And that the brutalist appreciators are getting all misty eyed that's it's been torn down. The design is not so much the issue but the fact the buiding went on for a half km, just endless blankness on the street.

https://www.insidehousing.co.uk/Pict...SC0041_350.jpg
www.insidehousing.co.uk
http://modernarchitecturelondon.com/.../heygate-1.jpg
www.architectsjournal.co.uk

Sun Belt Aug 17, 2019 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dave8721 (Post 8661157)
Against skyscrapers in general? Not really. Probably a by-product of having such a large latin american community. Random highrises are just accepted as part of city living. Most complaints are just from people living in an existing tower complaining that a new tower would block their views.
And there is a lot of nimby-ism from the gazillions of new downtown residents against things that existed before they got there (i.e. clubs, noise, ULTRA...etc).

The terrain might have something to do with it to some degree as well.

In western cities a lot of the NIMBYism is: "Don't block my view!" "Don't block my mountain vistas, don't block my valley vistas, don't block my ocean vistas!"

And privacy issues like: "Don't look at my house/yard from your balcony!"

mhays Aug 18, 2019 8:44 PM

Balconies give a building a residential look, and I have a warm spot in my heart for residential.

But to be usable, a balcony should be inset into the building with three walls, not sticking out where both the wind and privacy are issues.


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:05 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.