SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Southwest (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=643)
-   -   Southwest Coffee Talk (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=173766)

PHX31 Feb 14, 2011 6:01 PM

dangit, i thought you were serious for a second... :cool:

Vicelord John Feb 14, 2011 7:17 PM

It reads "Shawn Marion is gone. Time to be PHX2 or PHX4. An admin can change it for you."

PHX31 Feb 14, 2011 8:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vicelord John (Post 5164203)
It reads "Shawn Marion is gone. Time to be PHX2 or PHX4. An admin can change it for you."

LMAO ... maybe I'll change it to PHX13 in honor of Steve Nash. He should be here for a while still, right?

Vicelord John Feb 14, 2011 8:23 PM

He doesn't play defense! Don't honor him!

HooverDam Feb 25, 2011 12:13 AM

So I just got my copy of "Mid Century Marvels: Commercial Architecture of Phoenix 1945-1975" and all I can say is WOW! This book is thick, packed with tons of information about Moderinism, Post Modernism, their histories and how it relates to Phoenix as well as tons of fascinating PHX history.

I can't recommend this book highly enough, everyone should definitely buy a copy. It would also make a nice gift for any friends you have who are architecture or history buffs.

Hopefully this book sells a lot of copies because according to an interview over at the Blooming Rock Blog the author plans to do 2 companion books down the road if possible. One on Mid century homes in PHX and another called "Mid Century Miracles" on houses of worship, gov't, educational buildings, etc.

http://www.phoenix.gov/news/012011midcenturymarvel.html

dtnphx Feb 25, 2011 12:22 AM

And only $20 bucks for 400 pages. That's a steal! I'll definately get one. Thanks, Hoover.

HX_Guy Feb 25, 2011 1:15 AM

Not a big fan of Midcentury Modern design...it's actually my least favorite, but I wouldn't mind checking it out, sounds like a good deal. Pre-1945 is definitely my favorite.

Vicelord John Feb 25, 2011 1:37 AM

I still haven't graduated from pop-up books so it's over my head.

Leo the Dog Feb 25, 2011 8:25 AM

Love history. I was hoping PHX would start to get more books about the development of Phx. It'll be a nice addition to my Boston collection. Hoover, I'm sure you're seeing the hundreds of books back there about Boston development.

Don B. Feb 28, 2011 3:14 PM

The authors of a soon-to-be-published book on downtown Phoenix have approached me about using some of my photos for the book. It's going to have a very limited production run, so I'm letting them use my photos for basically free.

On another note, I have one car payment left on my convertible. It will be the first time in over 20 years that I have not had a car payment.

Third, and most importantly, I have been diagnosed with clinical depression. I have no health insurance and with even my small current income, I make too much to qualify for AHCCCS (single person can only make up to $700 per month to qualify), so I can't get a prescription for anything. This issue of depression is even embarassing for me to admit having. I've always been a fighter and a "tough guy" in terms of dealing with life, but a series of unfortunate events (to quote the horrid Jim Carrey movie) over the last two years has left me emotionally crippled, to the point that some days I don't even want to get out and do anything. After my dog died in November (Peanut), that was pretty much the last straw. Because of this, I've largely withdrawn from life and don't do much any more. I have had some suicidal thoughts but I've always been able to quash them. Here's to hoping I can manage that on my own for now. I'm waiting to get into a therapy program at ASU in their psychology department at no cost to me, but the waiting list is long.

I know I will probably take some heat for even coming out with this information here but it is what it is. If I cease posting for a while, at least some of you will know why.

--don

mgmAZCO Feb 28, 2011 3:35 PM

Frequent reader, but infrequent poster here. Hope you start feeling better, and get through this rough patch soon Don!

Vicelord John Feb 28, 2011 3:46 PM

The good thing about depression, is that like anxiety, it's a made up disease.

I 'd recommend seeing a homeopath for a made up remedy. I may sound like I'm being sarcastic, but since seeing a homeopath my panic attacks tapered off from 5/7x's a week and a dependency on alopathic drugs, to being a distant memory. It only took about a year.

Homeopathy wont cure aids or cancer, but it will sure as hell cure pretend stuff. Btw, the medicine the doctor gave me just made me fine whilst i was taking it, then the first missed dose i was back on the mental train. Doctors dont cure problems, they just hide the symptoms, the homeopath actually made the problem disappear. Now i dont take shit. My normal everyday life like before i started with the panic attacks. The same guy got my dad's blood pressure down from 10+ years on pills to now getting below normal readings w/o medicine.

Don B. Feb 28, 2011 3:58 PM

^ Well, to be honest with you, I can't afford much of everything. I went from earning $5,000 or $6,000 per month to less than $1,000 per month. I struggle to make basic ends meet, much less have anything left over for doctors or expensive meds or food.

We will see. You may be right. A lot will depend on what happens in the future.

--don

Vicelord John Feb 28, 2011 5:37 PM

well if you can make the price work, it's worth it to try. I hated the thought of being dependent on drugs. Now, I don't take anything and I'm happy as can be (which wasn't the case before.) Also, lots of exercise helps too with depression (I have a serious family background of bad depression) as it helps your body focus its energy on other things.

good luck man, it's a bitch to deal with that kind of crap. Just remember that the pain is temporary if you address it properly.

NorthScottsdale Feb 28, 2011 5:41 PM

Don, I know how you feel.. I've also been diagnosed as clinically depressed for the past few years, and at one point I was on meds for severe depression. The best bet would be medication with counseling involved as well, but without insurance there is no way anyone could afford it..

Have you tried surfing the net for support groups? There are support groups and chat rooms for everything and anything on the internet.. I found a few that I connected with, and it really really helped. And the people you talk to in these groups may also have some knowledge on where you can get help and meds easier without having any insurance..

Vicelord, not sure if you were being serious about depression being made-up.. it most definitely isn't.. its no fun not being interested in anything, not wanting to get out of bed, etc., etc., etc.,

Vicelord John Feb 28, 2011 5:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NorthScottsdale (Post 5181789)
Vicelord, not sure if you were being serious about depression being made-up.. it most definitely isn't.. its no fun not being interested in anything, not wanting to get out of bed, etc., etc., etc.,

yes I was being serious. been there, done that, it's a mental thing which is made up. going to see an alopathic doctor will only mask your symptoms, and will do nothing to cure the problem. In the end, everyone's situation is different and you should do what works for you, but it's still just a state of mind, and no doctor or therapist should be able to tell you how you feel.

dtnphx Feb 28, 2011 9:12 PM

Don:

Please don't give up hope. Check out Community Information and Referral, http://www.cirs.org/ for help and resources that are available, many without cost. They also have a 24-hour help hotline at 602-263-8856.

I appreciate that you reached out to the board. What you're going through is not uncommon nor anything to be ashamed of. Expressing yourself to us was the first step. However, don't let anyone diagnose you with their "opinion" of what you're feeling or decide what mental health conditons are real or unreal.

Please take care of yourself, Don.

Buckeye Native 001 Mar 1, 2011 4:28 AM

Change of subject, but anyone else concerned about Phoenix hosting the 2011 MLB All Star Game, given that it'll be fucking hot and we can't seem to go a week without somebody, usually a state legislator, doing something batfuck crazy that draws national attention?

HooverDam Mar 1, 2011 4:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buckeye Native 001 (Post 5182575)
Change of subject, but anyone else concerned about Phoenix hosting the 2011 MLB All Star Game, given that it'll be fucking hot and we can't seem to go a week without somebody, usually a state legislator, doing something batfuck crazy that draws national attention?

The heat will definitely be a factor, I hope the National Media doesn't bitch about it as much as they did about the poor weather in Detroit for the Super Bowl a few years back.

Its too bad places like the Hotel Palomar and Hotel Monroe aren't going to end up being open for the ASG, that would've been nice.

And there is a movement of reactionary nimrods who started this site: http://movethegame.org/

HooverDam Mar 7, 2011 12:09 AM

has anyone been to check out Film Bar yet? It seems like a great addition to the Roosevelt area. They're showing pretty off beat films, so it may not be for everyone, but it still looks really cool. I'm definitely planning on checking it out next time I come back to PHX on a visit.

I really hope this place does well, we need it to. A place like this succeeding will beget more interesting venues, eateries, etc to downtown.