SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Completed Project Threads Archive (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=348)
-   -   NEW YORK | Central Park Tower (Nordstrom)| 1,550 FT | 131 FLOORS (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=191095)

JayPro Jul 10, 2014 11:17 PM

I'll play along ;) .......

As I pointed out in an earlier thread, there's a lightning rod atop WTC that IIRC raises the overall height of 1WTC to 1,787.
How 'bout this? Raise Nordstrom's spire to 309' to the height that equals New York State's being admitted to the Union......

Busy Bee Jul 10, 2014 11:33 PM

Here's an idea, enough with all these symbolic heights already. WTC1 opened a pandoras box with its nonsensical reference to the birth of our nation and "freedom" , as if Sept. 11 had anything to do with independence from Great Britain nearly 250 years ago.

JayPro Jul 11, 2014 12:03 AM

Aw shoot...There went my pithy attempt at harmless tongue-in-cheek...
Serves me right, dunnit?
;)

ILNY Jul 11, 2014 12:55 AM

Exciting times are coming and who knows if a growth like that will ever be repeated on that scale again. Some of us, including myself complain about height, design, etc. We are getting spoiled !

We could not even dream about so many supertalls being build just a few years ago. For comparison, the HIGHEST completed building in NY in 2013 was Courtyard and Residence Inn Manhattan (1717 Broadway) with the height of 752 ft!

NYC skyline will be changed forever.

http://i.imgur.com/bQr5m1l.jpg
Credit: DannyR2713

chris08876 Jul 11, 2014 1:45 AM

^^

Also in Brooklyn as well. The change in the last 5 years has been incredible. A new tallest after another. Now, there is the possibility of a supertall for the borough. Also, even in Jersey City. Who would of ever thought that would have happened a decade ago? Great times. :cool:

It was not too long ago that we all thought the ESB would remain King, but the King is being dethroned. Its a power struggle, and new opponents seem to come out all the time to make their mark on the skyline. Next step, 600m. But for now, lets bask in the ambience.

Michael12374 Jul 11, 2014 1:53 AM

Although I think keeping buildings below 1776 feet is dumb...... the 1776 ft represents our freedom. 9/11 was a time that our freedom was tested. I think it was a really nice touch with making it 1776 feet and it makes me feel proud to live in a country where people love being patriotic. That doesn't mean I want Nordstrom or any other building to stay below that height, or any other buildings to make symbolic height references.

aquablue Jul 11, 2014 2:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ILNY (Post 6649934)
Exciting times are coming and who knows if a growth like that will ever be repeated on that scale again. Some of us, including myself complain about height, design, etc. We are getting spoiled !

We could not even dream about so many supertalls being build just a few years ago. For comparison, the HIGHEST completed building in NY in 2013 was Courtyard and Residence Inn Manhattan (1717 Broadway) with the height of 752 ft!

NYC skyline will be changed forever.

http://i.imgur.com/bQr5m1l.jpg
Credit: DannyR2713

Can you imagine, a 752 foot building would be the tallest building in most European cities. Savor it while you can folks, because such booms don't last forever.

Zapatan Jul 11, 2014 2:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael12374 (Post 6650001)
You obviously arent getting the point. Although I think keeping buildings below 1776 feet is dumb...... the 1776 ft represents our freedom. 9/11 was a time that our freedom was tested. I think it was a really nice touch with making it 1776 feet and it makes me feel proud to live in a country where people love being patriotic. That doesn't mean I want Nordstrom or any other building to stay below that height, or any other buildings to make symbolic height references.

What point? I know exactly what the 1776 is for but I'm still saying it's kind of dumb (Don't even get me started on "Freedom Tower"), or at least not building higher than that. They should have also built a building 1776 feet to the roof if they really wanted to make a statement.

But anyway enough of that I'm actually pretty satisfied with the status of 1WTC and NY skyscrapers in general, the future is pretty bright (if everything goes according to plan that is.)

Michael12374 Jul 11, 2014 4:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zapatan (Post 6650069)
What point? I know exactly what the 1776 is for but I'm still saying it's kind of dumb (Don't even get me started on "Freedom Tower"), or at least not building higher than that. They should have also built a building 1776 feet to the roof if they really wanted to make a statement.

But anyway enough of that I'm actually pretty satisfied with the status of 1WTC and NY skyscrapers in general, the future is pretty bright (if everything goes according to plan that is.)

1776 ft isnt dumb. What's dumb is not wanting to build any higher then 1776 ft.

BrownTown Jul 11, 2014 8:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael12374 (Post 6650136)
1776 ft isnt dumb. What's dumb is not wanting to build any higher then 1776 ft.

I'm sure they will eventually, but I don't think this was the right time to do so because it would only have broken the height by slightly increasing the spire. IMO if you want to break a symbolic height like that you need to blow it away, not just break it by a few feet.

Onn Jul 11, 2014 1:52 PM

Well folks, I think this tower (and others) will solidify New York's skyline as the top skyline of the 2020s. But sorry to burst your bubbles gentlemen, something even grander is waiting in the wings. The Thirties can't get here fast enough. I believe someone is going to put down the marbles and start playing with the real chips. :)

Swede Jul 11, 2014 1:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrownTown (Post 6650263)
I'm sure they will eventually, but I don't think this was the right time to do so because it would only have broken the height by slightly increasing the spire. IMO if you want to break a symbolic height like that you need to blow it away, not just break it by a few feet.

I agree. The last couple of hundred feet is spires. Making a stick a few feet taller wouldn't be very impressive. If it was roof height... now *that* would be impressive.

hunser Jul 11, 2014 2:05 PM

The roof slab (93rd floor) is at 1,428' 10'', which is pretty much consistent with the 1,424' figure from the massing model.

hunser Jul 11, 2014 2:38 PM

http://www.ctbuh.org/News/GlobalTall...S/Default.aspx

New York City's Nordstrom Tower May Become World’s Tallest Residential Building
New York City, United States – 09 July 2014

Quote:

New York YIMBY has acquired the latest drawings of Nordstrom Tower, courtesy of an anonymous tipster close to the project. Scoping documents also include the actual height numbers: 225 West 57th Street’s facade will reach 1,477 feet (450 meters) above street level, while a surprise spire on top will cap the tower at 1,775 feet (541 meters). Adrian Smith + Gordon Gill Architecture is designing the building.

New York City’s skyscraper boom is entering unparalleled territory, and 225 West 57th Street could very well represent the crest of the current wave, assuming the tower is financed. The new height details could result in several superlatives: New York City would finally retake the “tallest roof” in the United States title from Chicago’s Willis Tower, which stands 1,451 feet (442 meters), and 225 West 57th Street would become the tallest residential building in the world, surpassing both 432 Park Avenue in New York (426 meters) and Mumbai’s World One Tower (442 meters), which are both scheduled for completion in 2015. Also on the horizon are the 106 Tower (433 meters) in Dubai and the Diamond Tower (432 meters) in Jeddah, which are anticipated to open in 2017. Currently, the tallest completed residential tower in the world is the Princess Tower (413 meters) in Dubai.

Structural drawings indicate the curtain wall will be accompanied by steel fins and aluminum louvers, and the result should become a contemporary icon on the Manhattan skyline. Otie O’Daniel created 3D models of the tower based on the drawings and schematics, which give better insight into the building’s eventual appearance — though the images are not official renderings.

While the Nordstrom Tower’s roof height will be the tallest in the Western Hemisphere, its pinnacle will fall one foot (305 Millimeters) shy of One World Trade Center’s, which begs the question of whether Extell could – or would - simply add a few dozen feet to snatch the crown.

Completion of 225 West 57th Street is currently slated for 2018, and the most recent permits — which were partially approved on July 1st — reveal a total scope of over 1.2 million square feet (110,000 square meters).

For more on this story, go to New York YIMBY.

NYguy Jul 11, 2014 7:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fleonzo (Post 6649785)
Sorry to ask (if not already mentioned)...but is the cantilever still in this current design? If so, is it less prevalent than the design from last October?

Yes, still on the eastern side.

I doubt the tower would still carry the Nordstrom name, but we'll see...

http://q13fox.com/2014/07/11/when-bu...#axzz37BumfMvZ

When built, world’s tallest residential tower could carry Nordstrom name

https://tribkcpq.files.wordpress.com...trom-tower.jpg

Quote:

The Nordstrom name could soon grace the tallest residential building in the world reported PIX11 News in New York.

The Nordstrom Tower, to be located at 227 W 57th St in Manhattan, will soar 1,775 feet into the air. That height makes it just one foot shorter than 1 World Trade Center, the tallest building in the Western Hemisphere.

The tower will house a seven floor Nordstrom department store on the lower levels, but above that will be floor upon floor of superrich billionaires.

Idiots. There won't be billionaires on every floor, or most floors for that matter.

TouchTheSky13 Jul 11, 2014 8:11 PM

http://cdn.cstatic.net/images/gridfs...3D%20Views.jpg

So far, it's an improvement. The massing looks less messy, but it is still busy. I think it would look better if the 3rd major setback that juts out and runs parallel to CP in the third view from the left was the same width as the tower portion. This would increase the floor area, create a larger terrace, and make the massing seem a little more harmonious and give it a more "classic New York" assemblage.

In the early massing renderings, the Nordstrom portion seemed to be fairly detailed. I wonder if they will keep that and if NT's facade will play off that. In a boxier building like this, what is going to matter the most is the quality of the facade materials and how well they transition with the setbacks.

JayPro Jul 11, 2014 8:35 PM

I don't know....I somehow like the semi-haphazardness of the setbacking,
I am, though, contemplating why they chose to use the black spaces at certain portions, i.e. on the cantilevered elevation and on the top of the opposite's bottom setback. I realize that there ends up being a certain visual continuity; but it just leaves me a bit stumped.
Why not:
A. Just put that top cantilever-side black space flush with the setback instead of a few feet beneath it
and
B. Place another black space at the topmost setback?

NYguy Jul 11, 2014 8:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TouchTheSky13 (Post 6651104)
In the early massing renderings, the Nordstrom portion seemed to be fairly detailed. I wonder if they will keep that and if NT's facade will play off that. In a boxier building like this, what is going to matter the most is the quality of the facade materials and how well they transition with the setbacks.

I compare it most with the Trump Chicago in that the glass looks nice. If we get some nice glass here, and he can design a nicer spire, it could help with the overall "clunkiness" of the massing.

http://www.architravel.com/architrav...nd-Hotel_2.jpg_http://www.yimbynews.com/wp-content/...om-Tower-3.jpg
http://www.architravel.com/architrav...hotel-chicago/
http://www.yimbynews.com/2014/07/nor...-building.html

http://www.nydailynews.com/life-styl...icle-1.1860838

Nordstrom Tower in Midtown will be world's tallest residential building
Extell Development's proposed tower will rise to 1,775 feet at 227 W. 57th St., taller than the Empire State Building and slightly under 1 World Trade Center.

By Katherine Clarke

Quote:

Start craning the necks — a new Midtown condo tower is slated to be the tallest residential building in the world.

The Nordstrom Tower, at 227 W. 57th St., will rise to a whopping 1,775 feet at its spire, making it just a foot shorter than 1 World Trade Center, the tallest building in the Western Hemisphere.

But the new building will overshadow other supertall residential structures such as the 1,396-foot 432 Park Ave. and the 1,450-foot World One Tower in Mumbai — both under construction.

Architectural drawings of the property first appeared on the New York YIMBY blog, a pro-development site whose name is a positive twist on the classic "Not in my back yard" acronym.

The building will have a giant seven-floor Nordstrom department store on the lower levels.

The city has already approved a smaller version of the project, which is expected to be completed by 2018, but final approval is likely because there are no height restrictions for skyscrapers on 57th St.

The new tower will be the latest in a string of high-profile condo buildings rising along 57th St., including a skinny 1,400-foot building at 111 W. 57th St., the 1,005-foot One57 condo high-rise and a 65-story tower at 252 E. 57th St.

pico44 Jul 12, 2014 11:01 AM

What an uninspired design. When I heard they hired Adrian Smith, I expected something dull like Trump Chicago, and that's exactly what we got. He's a hack. I actually prefer his original renderings, which while amateurish in massing, were at least spare and could have been beautiful in it's audacity. Now he has added a haphazard bunch of creases and cantilevers and it looks like an absent-minded doodle. I hate to say it, because this man is changing our skyline, but Barnett is an awful developer. He needs to be banished from New York.

Perklol Jul 12, 2014 11:02 AM

Those were massing models according to RobertWalpole.

Also one of the recent articles stated that Barnett refused to let the Art League see final renderings of the building.