SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   City Compilations (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=87)
-   -   SAN DIEGO | Boom Rundown, Vol. 2 (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=126473)

CoastersBolts Sep 10, 2008 7:59 PM

7th and Market

Very disappointing to hear that 7th and Market is dead. Then again, it was inevitable after the news on Nancy Graham came out. What is it about this town that makes it prone to corrupt officials like Ms. Graham? It's really taking its toll on the city and I wonder if the next one to be killed due to such allegations will be the Ballpark Village. Already the massive Marriott project that was supposed to be included in that development has been called off due to "economic" reasons. But we all know the real reason why Marriott pulled out of that one.

sandiegodweller Sep 10, 2008 8:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoastersBolts (Post 3791357)
Very disappointing to hear that 7th and Market is dead. Then again, it was inevitable after the news on Nancy Graham came out. What is it about this town that makes it prone to corrupt officials like Ms. Graham? It's really taking its toll on the city and I wonder if the next one to be killed due to such allegations will be the Ballpark Village. Already the massive Marriott project that was supposed to be included in that development has been called off due to "economic" reasons. But we all know the real reason why Marriott pulled out of that one.

Marriott dropped their deal because adding an additional 1900 hotel rooms to downtown San Diego anytime within the next 5-10 years will be a huge financial mistake.

Current hotel occupancies are in the low 70% range (before adding the new Hilton, Indigo, Diegan/Setai) and there is plenty of capacity already built.

Derek Sep 10, 2008 11:13 PM

San Diego sucks.

lakegz Sep 11, 2008 4:26 AM

hey, at least we've got great weather all year round.

SDCAL Sep 11, 2008 7:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sandiegodweller (Post 3791411)
Marriott dropped their deal because adding an additional 1900 hotel rooms to downtown San Diego anytime within the next 5-10 years will be a huge financial mistake.

Current hotel occupancies are in the low 70% range (before adding the new Hilton, Indigo, Diegan/Setai) and there is plenty of capacity already built.

This project also had a possible conflict of interest with Graham

one of the partners developing Ballpark Village is Lennar Corp. This and Related Cos., are the ones CCDC is focusing on after recent revelations that Graham had an undisclosed business relationship with those two developers

I think that is more the reason for bowing out than not wanting to saturate the hotel market

Even if the project was moving forward, it would have probably been 5 years before it was operational anyway

SDCAL Sep 11, 2008 7:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sandiegodweller (Post 3791411)

This project had a possible conflict of interest with Graham

one of the partners developing Ballpark Village is Lennar Corp. This and Related Cos., are the ones CCDC is focusing on after recent revelations that Graham had an undisclosed business relationship with those two developers

I think that is more the reason for bowing out than not wanting to saturate the hotel market

Even if the project was moving forward, it would have probably been 5 years before it was operational anyway

kpexpress Sep 11, 2008 8:25 AM

Thomas J School of Law has started! I noticed a bunch of dumpsters and construction equipment at the site yesterday and today saw workers on site too!
http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/n...ess42/TJSL.jpg
http://www.ccdc.com/images/propertyI...20of%20Law.jpg

This evening I was trying to find a way to sneak into the MTS parking garage to get a night time shot of East Village for a project I am working on at school and look what I spied on inside the MTS Rail/Trolley maintenance garage....
http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/n...2/DSC03481.jpg

a closer
lookhttp://i301.photobucket.com/albums/n...2/DSC03480.jpg
http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/n...2/DSC03482.jpg

Any ideas of what these old fashion rail cars are going to be used for? These look awesome, like Market Street in San Fran!!!

bmfarley Sep 11, 2008 2:22 PM

^^^ Downtown Streetcar service running in a clockwise loop; C Street, Park & along Harbor/Bayside.

It appears the cars are still undergoing refurbishment by the volunteer group. They have at least 2 cars; however, it appears one of those appears more recent. Previously, one was green and the other was orange. Now, it looks like two are green.

Derek Sep 12, 2008 1:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lakegz (Post 3792451)
hey, at least we've got great weather all year round.

I would prefer seasons. You guys don't get bored of the weather?

Derek Sep 12, 2008 1:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kpexpress (Post 3792716)

Any ideas of what these old fashion rail cars are going to be used for? These look awesome, like Market Street in San Fran!!!

It's for some transportation convention or something next month.

bmfarley Sep 12, 2008 4:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Derek (Post 3794368)

Never. I did get tired of mucking through fallen wet leaves on my way to school... and freezing my toes and arse off.... being stuck inside due to days upon days of rain.

HurricaneHugo Sep 12, 2008 7:16 AM

Nancy Graham sucks.

kpexpress Sep 12, 2008 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bmfarley (Post 3794790)
Never. I did get tired of mucking through fallen wet leaves on my way to school... and freezing my toes and arse off.... being stuck inside due to days upon days of rain.

Scraping the ice off my windshield whiling waiting for my car to warm up.....sign me up for that shit :koko:

SD has perfect and happy weather, now we just need a couple 1000 footers and a brilliant bridge lighting effect and a few less homeless and this place would be perfect. and a bigger airport. and an NBA team. and more housing for families downtown. should I go on?

Fusey Sep 12, 2008 1:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Derek (Post 3794368)

Derek, try coming to Sweden. The weather is shitty every day and it's not even winter yet. :haha:

Derek Sep 12, 2008 5:16 PM

Don't forget I come from New York. :P

I would take 45 and rain over 75 and sun anyday. :)

Sweden's weather is amazing!

bmfarley Sep 12, 2008 7:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Derek (Post 3795623)
Don't forget I come from New York. :P

I would take 45 and rain over 75 and sun anyday. :)

Sweden's weather is amazing!

Well, this is just for shitz & giggles, but 45 and rain is not the extreme in New York. The extremes, and what's on the margins of extreme, is what is hated by many.

I am unsure 45 and rain is really that bad. One or the other happens in San Diego too.

I can tolerate for short periods of time temperatures around 40F.... and rain for a day or two. But days on end of sub 40F temperatures.... sleet and snow... forget it!

If NY is the example, I also understand it not only gets very hot there.. it's also inhumanly humid. 90F and humid in NY... well, that would be probably comparable to 100F or more, and dry here in SD.

kpexpress Sep 12, 2008 10:30 PM

Is this section being renamed "City Weather Compilations"?

bmfarley Sep 13, 2008 3:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kpexpress (Post 3796374)
Is this section being renamed "City Weather Compilations"?

Yes, but only until we reach post #4000. At that point, I believe the thread becomes elligible for retirement and we start anew.

laguna Sep 13, 2008 5:06 AM

Yawn,

scratch, scratch, scratch

SDCAL Sep 13, 2008 8:25 AM

I wish SD had thunderstorms