SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Canada (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Canadian Airport Thread (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=153826)

casper Mar 7, 2020 6:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zahav (Post 8853231)
Where is the DH4 manufactured? Are they still made at Downsview? Viking Air owns the rights but I don't believe do the manufacturing of the DH4, this is done by DeHavilland in Toronto AFAIK, so they would be more affected

Longview is a holding company. They own Viking and DeHaviland. Viking is manufacturing in Victoria and Calgary. DeHavilland in Toronto Donwview. However Downview is set to be disappear. Not certain exactly the plan.

I would love to see them consolidate into Victoria and Calgary, however who knows at this stage.

craneSpotter Mar 7, 2020 9:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by casper (Post 8853837)
Longview is a holding company. They own Viking and DeHaviland. Viking is manufacturing in Victoria and Calgary. DeHavilland in Toronto Donwview. However Downview is set to be disappear. Not certain exactly the plan.

I would love to see them consolidate into Victoria and Calgary, however who knows at this stage.

Important to note that Viking Air did not 'buy' the Dash 8 program (as is often stated in the media), Viking's parent Longview Aviation did along with the rights to the De Havilliand name.

Longview Aviation set up De Havilland Aircraft of Canada as an independent operating company, based in Toronto. Production of the Dash 8s will almost certainly remain in Ontario.

craneSpotter Mar 7, 2020 10:16 PM

This is the first 2020 passenger forecast I have seen regarding YVR. The Vancouver Airport Authority is (currently) expecting a 3 to 5% drop in passenger traffic for 2020. That is a decrease of between 790,000 and 1.3 million passengers.

No doubt YVR will take the largest 'hit' to passenger traffic - with its Asia heavy connections - out of Canadian airports. At least for the first quarter of 2020 - later other global virus hotspots will likely emerge.

Of course, all travel in general (air/cruise) will see some large reductions in numbers during 2020 just due to caution and fear. This will affect hotel chains, restaurants and tour group operators as well. Lots of layoffs coming in the hospitality/tourism industry. Cathay Pacific has already announced the closure of their YVR flight attendant base by June - affecting 149 - although the 2019 Hong Kong protests played a role as well. Right now many airlines are encouraging employees to take some time-off while they reduce flights, to help avoid layoffs.

Nobody knows how deep this will go.. :(

https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/vanc...rt-coronavirus

People_talking Mar 9, 2020 12:30 PM

It's gonna be a rough one right across the board, I wouldn't be surprised if nearly every passenger airport in Canada takes a considerable hit.

thenoflyzone Mar 9, 2020 1:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by craneSpotter (Post 8854270)
This is the first 2020 passenger forecast I have seen regarding YVR. The Vancouver Airport Authority is (currently) expecting a 3 to 5% drop in passenger traffic for 2020. That is a decrease of between 790,000 and 1.3 million passengers.

That’s a very conservative value that Craig gave. If things in North America get worse, then the drop will be double or even triple that.

Vancouver is also Canada’s largest cruise ship port, and cruise bookings are declining sharply. That will affect YVR’s US numbers as well, as most of the clientele for the cruise ships is from the US.

Just to give you an example, Denmark has only 35 cases of Coronavirus to date, and yet CPH is seeing a 30% drop in pax numbers this month.

craneSpotter Mar 9, 2020 5:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thenoflyzone (Post 8855349)
That’s a very conservative value that Craig gave. If things in North America get worse, then the drop will be double or even triple that.

Vancouver is also Canada’s largest cruise ship port, and cruise bookings are declining sharply. That will affect YVR’s US numbers as well, as most of the clientele for the cruise ships is from the US.

Just to give you an example, Denmark has only 35 cases of Coronavirus to date, and yet CPH is seeing a 30% drop in pax numbers this month.

Oh I agree with you - very conservative. Trans-border will be hit hard too I suspect (as you mention cruises) - not even sure how deep the virus will impact US travel to-from Canada as it is really just starting there. But there is a possibility there may be some recovery by summer.

We'll see.

hollywoodcory Mar 9, 2020 5:51 PM

AC appears to have suspended MXP until May. I believe this is the first of their TATL routes to be affected so far?

zahav Mar 9, 2020 6:10 PM

I am shocked AC just suspended MXP! This should have been done a long time ago! They suspended routes in China where there wasn't even outbreak, but kept flying to MXP when it was almost in quarantine?

I feel like most cities will see cuts now, France is quickly adding cases and is the clear runner up to Italy in terms of numbers and spread. Wouldn't be surprsied if airlines trimmed France capacity now

hollywoodcory Mar 9, 2020 6:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zahav (Post 8855804)
I am shocked AC just suspended MXP! This should have been done a long time ago! They suspended routes in China where there wasn't even outbreak, but kept flying to MXP when it was almost in quarantine?

I feel like most cities will see cuts now, France is quickly adding cases and is the clear runner up to Italy in terms of numbers and spread. Wouldn't be surprsied if airlines trimmed France capacity now

YYZ-MXP is only seasonal. It was scheduled to resume on March 29, but appears to have been delayed until May.

The only year-round route they have to Italy is FCO.

zahav Mar 9, 2020 6:23 PM

Oh OK that makes sense! I was thinking how crazy it would have been that they kept operating there until now

whatnext Mar 9, 2020 7:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thenoflyzone (Post 8855349)
That’s a very conservative value that Craig gave. If things in North America get worse, then the drop will be double or even triple that.

Vancouver is also Canada’s largest cruise ship port, and cruise bookings are declining sharply. That will affect YVR’s US numbers as well, as most of the clientele for the cruise ships is from the US.

Just to give you an example, Denmark has only 35 cases of Coronavirus to date, and yet CPH is seeing a 30% drop in pax numbers this month.

Given that the Canadian and US governments have basically said people shouldn't go on cruises - this is going to be brutal. Not just for the airport figures but for hotels and restaurants here too. :(

Dominion301 Mar 9, 2020 7:26 PM

YYT, YYZ and YQB were ACI ASQ award winners this year: https://aci.aero/news/2020/03/09/aci...er-experience/

YOW for possibly the first time was not there...but it was also YOW's first time in the 5-10 million pax category. YHZ, another longtime recipient, was also absent for the 2nd year in a row.

hollywoodcory Mar 9, 2020 7:49 PM

I suspect AC will also suspend flights to TLV following Israel requiring all visitors to be quarantined for 14 days.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-51809818

nname Mar 9, 2020 10:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hollywoodcory (Post 8855814)
YYZ-MXP is only seasonal. It was scheduled to resume on March 29, but appears to have been delayed until May.

The only year-round route they have to Italy is FCO.

Now the entire Italy is under lock down. I can't imagine AC would still flying to FCO starting from today...

zahav Mar 9, 2020 11:16 PM

I wonder if WS will keep to its plan of launching ROM in May. Forward bookings apparently had been strong but we'll see if this changes things.

CityTech Mar 9, 2020 11:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hollywoodcory (Post 8855941)
I suspect AC will also suspend flights to TLV following Israel requiring all visitors to be quarantined for 14 days.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-51809818

How does that work? Wouldn't most travellers be there for less than 14 days total?

hollywoodcory Mar 10, 2020 1:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nname (Post 8856187)
Now the entire Italy is under lock down. I can't imagine AC would still flying to FCO starting from today...

AC890 departed today, but going forward I guess we shall see what happens. Curious if there will be other TATL cuts coming too.

WS has made zero schedule changes so far. CDG resumes on Thursday, and its likely too soon to tell about FCO as its launch is still just under 2 months away.

A lot is changing day to day.

nname Mar 10, 2020 2:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hollywoodcory (Post 8856303)
AC890 departed today, but going forward I guess we shall see what happens. Curious if there will be other TATL cuts coming too.

The ban is not going to take effect until sometimes on Tuesday, so the current trip should be able to make it and the return trip AC891 may be able to get out before the ban is taking effect.

I guess AC would need the final flight to evacuate all the crew and employees who are currently still in Italy? I don't see how they'll operate the AC890 flight tomorrow though...

alps Mar 10, 2020 2:32 AM

Kind of irrelevant to an English language forum but...I made a Chinese version of my YHZ diagram (for Chinese Wikipedia):

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...se_version.jpg
(Chinese full size / English full size)

craneSpotter Mar 10, 2020 4:02 AM

YVR passenger stats were flat in Jan 2020 (overall -0.3%). Biggest drop was transborder @ -3.1%

Not too bad. February of course...(even with the extra day).

YVR PAX dropped nearly 1.7 million in 2009 from the (then) all time high of 2008...financial crash.


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:36 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.