SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Development (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=86)
-   -   SAN FRANCISCO | Presidio Park (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=214921)

brantw Dec 23, 2014 2:00 AM

SAN FRANCISCO | Presidio Park

Presidio park project lands architect behind High Line in N.Y.

SFGate.com
John King
Tuesday, Dec 9, 2014

Quote:

A New York landscape architect will lead the design efforts for what could become one of San Francisco’s most remarkable settings, a new bluff overlooking Crissy Field.

The selection of James Corner and his firm Field Operations comes after an unusual competition where five teams were asked to submit conceptual visions for the 13 acres that will blanket two automobile tunnels now under construction. The competition was overseen by the Presidio Trust, which manages nearly all of the 1,491-acre park at the foot of the Golden Gate Bridge.
Photos: James Corner Field Operations / James Corner Field Operations

https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8639/...ac36c474_b.jpg

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7491/...e45985f5_b.jpg

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7555/...e075d62f_b.jpg

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7490/...5a91e0e0_b.jpg

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7569/...8206cb4e_b.jpg

https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8651/...5ee6a8a0_b.jpg

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7527/...22d725cf_b.jpg

https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8670/...e1623d43_b.jpg

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7477/...27752c71_b.jpg

timbad May 21, 2017 11:40 AM

the article in the opening post says 2018 opening for this, but I didn't see what looked like any relevant activity yet when I was by there yesterday

https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4190/3...de73df0c_b.jpg

https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4274/3...ccbd89a1_b.jpg

edit: aha, this and this now say 2019 (and this is now called the 'Tunnel Tops' project, apparently)

Pedestrian May 21, 2017 6:31 PM

^^The "relevant activity" is that they have pretty much completed the tunnel and roadway system on top of which the minor land and hard-scaping to create the park will be done--I drove through it for my first time last weekend. So now they can proceed with the park and I don't see anything they are doing that should take much time--another year (OK, year and a half) should be no problem.

They are also hard at work on the Crissey Field marsh and surrounding areas. I wanted to take some out-of-town visitors there last weekend but the construction made that very difficult and I gave up.

timbad May 21, 2017 7:25 PM

there is certainly work going on in the area, but I'm not sure it is specific to the Tunnel Tops. the tunnels themselves were completed and opened in 2015. I guess my point was it seemed like it was taking longer than they anticipated (or 'hoped' might be a better description), and the links posted above confirmed that.

I (as I imagine many of us do) just get impatient especially with these types of projects that promise to be such jewels when they are done.

Pedestrian May 21, 2017 7:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by timbad (Post 7811348)
he marsh I believe is just renovation of the existing path, to repair rain damage and general wear-and-tear - nothing new.

It's a little more than that:

Quote:

Crissy Field construction to last through summer
By Daniel Montes
BAY CITY NEWS
PUBLISHED
February 13, 2017

San Francisco’s Crissy Field is due for a brand new promenade, and construction to rebuild the oceanfront path is set to begin in March, National Park Service officials announced Monday.

Since the promenade opened in 2001, it has degraded beyond repair due to harsh weather and high use by its more than 18 million visitors, according to park officials.

The new project, which will be implemented in four phases in order to minimize impact to visitors, will see the granite promenade converted into one made of a more durable compacted shale material.

The new trail will look and feel similar to the current one, but is expected to last longer, park officials said.

Construction is expected to last through the summer . . . .

The $5 million project was given $2.5 million by the NPS’ Centennial Challenge Project, according to NPS officials.
https://sfbay.ca/2017/02/13/crissy-f...hrough-summer/

timbad May 21, 2017 8:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pedestrian (Post 7811353)
It's a little more than that:

Quote:
Crissy Field construction to last through summer
By Daniel Montes
BAY CITY NEWS
PUBLISHED
February 13, 2017

San Francisco’s Crissy Field is due for a brand new promenade, and construction to rebuild the oceanfront path is set to begin in March, National Park Service officials announced Monday.

Since the promenade opened in 2001, it has degraded beyond repair due to harsh weather and high use by its more than 18 million visitors, according to park officials.

The new project, which will be implemented in four phases in order to minimize impact to visitors, will see the granite promenade converted into one made of a more durable compacted shale material.

The new trail will look and feel similar to the current one, but is expected to last longer, park officials said.

Construction is expected to last through the summer . . . .

I re-wrote my post before I saw this, partly because this didn't matter to what we were talking about, but the point about the path was that it is not a new addition - it is a re-make of the existing path.

timbad Nov 30, 2017 6:59 AM

more of an explanation for why the relevant activity has not been happening

ozone Dec 2, 2017 1:07 AM

Where's the money coming from? I don't want my state taxes paying for SF's elaborate pleasure parks.

pizzaguy Dec 2, 2017 8:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ozone (Post 8005455)
Where's the money coming from? I don't want my state taxes paying for SF's elaborate pleasure parks.

Too bad

viewguysf Dec 2, 2017 9:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pizzaguy (Post 8005724)
Too bad

:haha: I agree, plus it will enhance a spectacular setting in a national park for everyone to enjoy.

ozone Dec 2, 2017 3:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by viewguysf (Post 8005735)
:haha: I agree, plus it will enhance a spectacular setting in a national park for everyone to enjoy.

*--* I'm not adverse to paying taxes. On the contrary. I'm all too happy to pay for universal health care and public education. But in a wealthy city whose citizens and corporations are about to be relived of their oh so burdensome obligation I don't feel we who are not privileged (or dumb) enough to (still) live in SF need to pay for their beautification. I don't care if it's technically a national park. It's not a natural wonder that needs to be preserved.

mt_climber13 Dec 2, 2017 4:02 PM

I believe it is paid for with federal taxes, since it is on federal land.

That should get the alt-right’s depends in a knot.

observatory Dec 2, 2017 9:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mt_climber13 (Post 8005877)

I lean to the right politics wise (not sure what alt-right means), but I'm more than happy for my taxes to beautify the Presidio Nat'l Park. It's a national treasure & taking too darn long!

pizzaguy Dec 2, 2017 9:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ozone (Post 8005834)
*--* I'm not adverse to paying taxes. On the contrary. I'm all too happy to pay for universal health care and public education. But in a wealthy city whose citizens and corporations are about to be relived of their oh so burdensome obligation I don't feel we who are not privileged (or dumb) enough to (still) live in SF need to pay for their beautification. I don't care if it's technically a national park. It's not a natural wonder that needs to be preserved.

Of all the things to complain about “your” tax dollars being wasted on...

Pedestrian Dec 3, 2017 6:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mt_climber13 (Post 8005877)

Then you may well be wrong. The Presidio park is quite unique and, from a San Franciscan perspective, a victim of prejudice against the area by Congressional Republicans who imposed special requirements on it you won't find for other national parks:

Quote:

Following the close of the Presidio as a military base in 1994, Congress placed the San Francisco property under the joint management of the National Park Service and the newly-created Presidio Trust Corporation (the Trust), an independent government corporation established to help develop and maintain the site. Under the Presidio Trust Act which created the corporation, the Trust was required to become financially self-sufficient by 2013. To assist the Trust in meeting this deadline, the House Appropriations Subcommittee on the Interior directed the National Academy to conduct a review of the Trust’s financial and business management practices in 2002. During the study, the National Academy Panel examined the Trust’s partnership with NPS, reviewed the Trust’s financial plans and budget projections, reviewed the capital and operating spending trade-offs between revenue producing and other environmental and cultural preservation and enhancement activities, and assessed the effectiveness of the organizational structure.
https://www.napawash.org/studies/aca...-self-sufficie

Why the Presidio, alone among all national parks, should have this requirement seems egregiously unfair. The park is no more dedicated to the enjoyment of locals only than is any other park includuing the many in urban areas.

WildCowboy Dec 4, 2017 2:26 PM

Uh, yeah...this isn't federally funded. GGNP Conservancy is having to raise the money. Bechtel Foundation made the lead gift of $25 million several years ago.

The Best Forumer Feb 22, 2018 2:23 PM

So... it's just a... viewing deck?

viewguysf Feb 22, 2018 6:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Best Forumer (Post 8094751)
So... it's just a... viewing deck?

No—It will connect the Parade Grounds to Crissy Field, uniting the upper and lower areas of the Presidio.

timbad Jun 17, 2018 11:16 AM

https://www.sfchronicle.com/bayarea/...s-12989070.php

gillynova Jun 17, 2018 5:15 PM

2021 :(

timbad Nov 4, 2018 8:24 AM

got an email today:

Quote:

Join us for a smashing day of demolition as we take down the former Army-era Burger King to make way for 14 acres of new national parkland – the Presidio Tunnel Tops!

The building will come down in a single day – so join us in the morning for refreshments, remarks, and to watch the excavator’s first blow, revealing 360 degree views of the Golden Gate, San Francisco Bay, the city skyline, and the Presidio.

mt_climber13 Nov 4, 2018 8:51 AM

There is a Burger King in the presidio?

AndrewK Nov 4, 2018 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mt_climber13 (Post 8367839)
There is a Burger King in the presidio?

https://sf.curbed.com/2018/10/25/180...park-fast-food

10023 Nov 4, 2018 12:19 PM

Who’s funding this? You would think that SF would be building the world’s greatest civic institutions and infrastructure, given the booming tech industry. But of course so much of that are these suburban companies in Silicon Valley with suburban mentalities.

viewguysf Nov 4, 2018 5:12 PM

A well developed, collaborative, and open planning and partnership process has brought us to this point, starting in 1972 with the Nixon administration. The three main entities are summarized here.

https://www.nps.gov/goga/learn/news/...eld-begins.htm

The Golden Gate National Recreation Area covers 82,791 acres in Marin, San Francisco, and San Mateo counties, so it extends well beyond the Presidio.

timbad Nov 5, 2018 5:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 10023 (Post 8367871)
Who’s funding this? ...

from the article linked to in post #19 on the previous page of this thread:

Quote:

The project will be funded through a $100 million fundraising campaign: $10 million from the trust and $90 million from private philanthropic sources. So far, $64.1 million of the $90 million has been raised from 82 individuals and organizations, said Greg Moore, executive director of the Golden Gate National Parks Conservancy.

Pedestrian Nov 5, 2018 7:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 10023 (Post 8367871)
Who’s funding this? You would think that SF would be building the world’s greatest civic institutions and infrastructure, given the booming tech industry. But of course so much of that are these suburban companies in Silicon Valley with suburban mentalities.

Essentially the Presidio and the rest of the Golden Gate National Recreation area are federal parkland and under federal control although by law this park is a bit different since there is more local input into its governance and it is required to be self-funding (mainly through leasing of existing buildings and sites).

The city (San Francisco) tends to its own "civic institutions and infrastructure" including the city museums, Golden Gate Park and other parks. All of the city museums have now been either expanded and seismically retrofitted or replaced since the 1989 earthquake. The Asian Art Museum (reputedly the most impressive collection of Asian art outside Asia), previously rebuilt in the old Carnegie library after the city library moved into a new building, is presently undergoing expansion. The Museum of Modern Art last year opened its huge new wing (housing the Donald Fisher--Gap founder--collection and other works). The DeYoung Museum (art of the Americas) was replaced by a dramatic Hertzog/DeMeuron building and the CA Palace of the Legion of Honor (European art) was doubled in size by adding a lower floor. And the CA Academy of Sciences also has a dramatic new building by Renzo Piano.

In 2012 the city passed a $195,000,000 parks bond and most of the city parks are seeing some type of renovation or redevelopment.

viewguysf Nov 5, 2018 7:55 PM

Well stated Pedestrian :tup:

In addition, the nine county Greater San Francisco Bay Area contains many hundreds of thousands of preserved acres, including parks, nature preserves, scenic/recreational areas, and those zoned permanently agricultural. The open and green spaces are one of the glories of living and visiting here.

patriotizzy Nov 5, 2018 11:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by viewguysf (Post 8369178)
Well stated Pedestrian :tup:

In addition, the nine county Greater San Francisco Bay Area contains many hundreds of thousands of preserved acres, including parks, nature preserves, scenic/recreational areas, and those zoned permanently agricultural. The open and green spaces are one of the glories of living and visiting here.

One of my favorite skyline/GG views is from Albany Bulb in the east bay. I stop by there almost every other day to watch the sunset. This park is also going through redevelopment to modernize accessibility.

timbad Aug 6, 2019 7:48 AM

this is finally just getting started

timbad Nov 8, 2019 4:43 AM

John King article about the project

Quote:

... work formally begins Thursday on a 14-acre, sloping park intended to connect the atmospheric Main Post with ever-popular Crissy Field.

The target completion date was 2018 when a design team was selected in 2014 for what then was a $51 million project. Now the budget is $118 million — all but $20 million to come from private donors — and the space is set to open in fall 2021. ...

And even though Presidio Parkway opened in 2015, there was a lengthy standoff between the trust and Caltrans over the details of how the state agency would return the construction site to the national park. ... the only public funding is $20 million from the Presidio Trust.

... The emphasis now is a boisterous “groundmaking” Thursday, with speakers including Nancy Pelosi. There also will be the ceremonial start to the wider fundraising campaign, though $86.7 million already has been pledged by private donors.
https://s.hdnux.com/photos/01/06/65/...ery_xlarge.jpg

mt_climber13 Nov 8, 2019 6:15 AM

Imagine if the wealthy donors put together $100 million to do something about the homeless / drug addict issue in San Francisco, instead of a park... which will
be overrun by said homeless / drug addicts. Priorities, people.
(And yes my money is where my mouth is, I donate a portion of my paycheck every 2 weeks to homeless organizations)

BobbyMucho Nov 8, 2019 4:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mt_climber13 (Post 8742829)
Imagine if the wealthy donors put together $100 million to do something about the homeless / drug addict issue in San Francisco, instead of a park... which will
(And yes my money is where my mouth is, I donate a portion of my paycheck every 2 weeks to homeless organizations)

Lol. I hardly imagine the park is going to be overrun by ‘homeless / drug addicts”.

Hundreds of millions of dollars are already being dumped into homeless programs and foundations. Just like the housing crisis at large, money isn’t the issue, it’s policy and the management. The biggest point of contention is that the organizations themselves are largely inproficient on all accounts.

BobbyMucho Nov 8, 2019 4:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mt_climber13 (Post 8742829)

And also, some perspective for those that aren’t familiar; 100M is not much more than the cost to build a run-of-the-mill mid rise apartment building. Not a lot can be bought or built for that much in a city like ours so I’m happy to see it being used for good like it is here.

patriotizzy Nov 8, 2019 4:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BobbyMucho (Post 8743117)
And also, some perspective for those that aren’t familiar; 100M is not much more than the cost to build a run-of-the-mill mid rise apartment building. Not a lot can be bought or built for that much in a city like ours so I’m happy to see it being used for good like it is here.

Exactly. If anything, this will bring joy and happiness to countless hundreds of thousands. Sending money for homeless organizations? I don't even know if the money ends up in the right programs of the right hands, because where is the progress in dealing with homelessness? It's getting worse, not better.

Pedestrian Nov 8, 2019 6:55 PM

I don't get to this part of town often and I thought they finished that project years ago.

Pedestrian Nov 8, 2019 6:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BobbyMucho (Post 8743109)
Lol. I hardly imagine the park is going to be overrun by ‘homeless / drug addicts”.

Hundreds of millions of dollars are already being dumped into homeless programs and foundations. Just like the housing crisis at large, money isn’t the issue, it’s policy and the management. The biggest point of contention is that the organizations themselves are largely inproficient on all accounts.

It's unlikely you'll see many homeless here. For one thing, it's federal land. The head of the federal government--Mr. T--has a different approach to "homelessness" than does San Francisco city government.

But also the homeless need to be around panhandling targets and drug sellers and other parts of their millieu. None of that is readily accessible in the Presidio Park (nor tolerated by the same federal government).

cwilly Nov 8, 2019 7:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pedestrian (Post 8743320)
It's unlikely you'll see many homeless here. For one thing, it's federal land. The head of the federal government--Mr. T--has a different approach to "homelessness" than does San Francisco city government.

But also the homeless need to be around panhandling targets and drug sellers and other parts of their millieu. None of that is readily accessible in the Presidio Park (nor tolerated by the same federal government).

Exactly. I have lived in the Marina since 2003 and I don't think I have ever seen a homeless person in the Presidio or on Crissy Field. The idea San Francisco is overrun with homeless is ludicrous. Downtown? maybe. Out in the neighborhoods? Not so much. In the Presidio? Zero.

viewguysf Nov 9, 2019 3:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pedestrian (Post 8743320)

The current occupant of the White House has nothing to do with it because the park has thrived under multiple administrations for decades. Join and support the Parks Conservancy, a great organization, to learn more about this treasured place. They have interesting tours and programming, including tunnel top walks that I have done.

viewguysf Nov 9, 2019 3:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by viewguysf (Post 8368035)
A well developed, collaborative, and open planning and partnership process has brought us to this point, starting in 1972 with the Nixon administration. The three main entities are summarized here.

https://www.nps.gov/goga/learn/news/...eld-begins.htm

The Golden Gate National Recreation Area covers 82,791 acres in Marin, San Francisco, and San Mateo counties, so it extends well beyond the Presidio.

This is my post from a year ago (November 4, 2018).

gillynova Jul 20, 2020 4:32 PM

https://i.imgur.com/WUsa6YKh.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/MGAp9TDh.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/o9Stimrh.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/6CiH7Xgh.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/oeBp00qh.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/n9jvy3Th.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/z7PrMSSh.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/FRIUVbsh.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/EQHKiBFh.jpg

timbad Jul 20, 2020 7:38 PM

aw, I had hoped they would be further along on this by now, but really good to get the photo update, thanks very much!

timbad Jan 25, 2021 10:02 AM

John King article from last month on this and the work at neighboring Quartermaster Reach

Quote:

At low tide right now, the area known as Quartermaster Reach in San Francisco’s Presidio is little more than two threads of salt water amid wide banks of moist sand. It’s no comparison to the much grander show to the east — a 14-acre reconstructed hillside that by next fall will be draped in vegetation, with trails offering vivid perspectives on the postcard-worthy landscape.

But the two projects are the latest elements in a remarkable ongoing transformation that will be cherished in the decades ahead. ...

Quartermaster Reach is the northernmost section of Tennessee Hollow, the watershed for much of the Presidio. Hidden in a culvert since before the 1915 Panama Pacific International Exposition, it also spent 70 years buried underneath Doyle Drive, the commuter link between downtown San Francisco and the Golden Gate Bridge. But the 2015 conversion of the unsightly viaduct into low-slung Presidio Parkway, complete with two segments tucked into tunnels beneath re-created bluffs, made it possible to turn back the environmental clock.

The barrier between Crissy Marsh and Quartermaster Reach was breached without fanfare last month, and workers are still placing the last of 23,000 small plantings into the sand. Within two years, they should cover the acreage with everything from pickleweed in the watery tidal channels to thick willows along the edge. As of next Friday, however, visitors will be able to get up close via a new footbridge and path between Mason Street and Girard Road.

While Quartermaster Reach might be of long-term interest primarily to birdwatchers — coots and plovers already scout the sandy scene — the 14-acre park taking shape to the west could become a Crissy Field-like destination.

Even in the current state, with Presidio Parkway loudly visible below, the drama is profound. It will come into sharper focus as several feet of topsoil are added to lift the completed bluff 35 feet above Crissy Field and as the topography is sculpted to create features like a campfire nook and two large meadows.

The design also includes an abundance of mostly native vegetation to, among other things, filter views of the adjacent roadways. A half-dozen oaks sit at the bottom of the bluff waiting to be planted, their root balls encased in 60-inch wooden boxes.

The cost of conjuring up Tunnel Tops Park exceeds $100 million, mostly from private donors. The budget for Quartermaster Reach was $23 million, funded in part by the Environmental Protection Agency, and work couldn’t begin until the new parkway was done. Both projects also were delayed by laborious negotiations to transfer the sites from Caltrans to the Presidio Trust — Caltrans built Presidio Parkway, while the trust manages nearly all of the 1,491-acre national park.

The removal of Doyle Drive also means that Battery Bluffs, which were severed from the rest of the Presidio in the 1930s, will be reconnected next year. The western segment of the parkway tunnels is being topped with fresh soil, and a trail will wend through the historic Army batteries and mature trees.

The road ahead will be arduous, too. Plans to fine-tune Crissy Field and its offerings — optimistically dubbed Crissy Next — are on hold because of the financial pressures on the conservancy from coronavirus-related shutdowns. The trust also is buffeted by the pandemic’s economic ripples.

Tunnel Tops in progress:

https://s.hdnux.com/photos/01/15/55/...ery_xlarge.jpg

Quartermaster Reach:

timbad Jan 29, 2021 9:06 AM

the Outpost

preview of a kids' play area called 'the Outpost'

https://www.presidio.gov/blog-intern...randpa-oak.jpg

Pedestrian Jan 29, 2021 10:47 PM

^^

https://www.presidio.gov/blog-intern...-rendering.jpg

That looks like something that will give the do-gooders nightmares. Suppose a kid scrapes his/her knee or something.

timbad Feb 26, 2021 5:03 PM

the 'other' Tunnel Tops, Battery Tunnel Tops, is also getting underway

https://www.presidio.gov/presidio-tr...RenditionID=16

gillynova Feb 26, 2021 5:09 PM

I'll try to trek out to Crissy Field this weekend and take pics

timbad Oct 26, 2021 4:19 AM

glimpse:

https://twitter.com/UrbanHikerSF/sta...443458/photo/1

homebucket Oct 26, 2021 4:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by timbad (Post 9433866)

Where’s the escalator gonna be?

homebucket Jul 15, 2022 2:57 PM

Opening this Sunday!

Quote:

San Francisco Presidio Tunnel Tops Park Opening This Sunday

https://sfyimby.com/wp-content/uploa...on-777x583.jpg

BY: ANDREW NELSON 5:30 AM ON JULY 15, 2022

Presidio Tunnel Tops Park will open Sunday with performances, food vendors, talks, and public art. With its opening, San Francisco will get its newest waterfront park, spanning 14 acres and creating a comfortable pedestrian connection from the Main Parade Lawn to Crissy Field Beach. The day has been co-curated by the Partnership for the Presidio and community members.

https://sfyimby.com/wp-content/uploa...e-Presidio.jpg

In email correspondences with YIMBY, the chief park officer of the Presidio Trust, Michael Boland, describes the larger significance of the Tunnel Tops. “Guiding the transformation of the Presidio from an army post to public national park site over the past 27 years, creating a real destination for visitors has been nothing short of magical.” Boland went on to say “the Presidio Tunnel Tops is the largest piece of that effort to date, and really shows we’ve arrived as a beautiful public space for all people. I couldn’t be more thrilled to see this come to fruition.”

See the park website here for more details about the opening day activities.

The Presidio Tunnel Tops is designed by James Corner Field Operations, the same landscape architect responsible for New York’s High Line. The park provides a beautiful transition from the Presidio Plaza down to the Crissy Field Marsh at sea level. Over 200,000 native and drought-tolerant plants will line the expansive open space.
https://sfyimby.com/2022/07/san-fran...is-sunday.html