SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   City Compilations (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=87)
-   -   SAN DIEGO | Boom Rundown, Vol. 2 (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=126473)

SDfan Apr 28, 2016 9:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sandiego_urban (Post 7422120)
https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1482/...220e9ce5_o.jpg

Not sure if this was posted earlier in the thread or not. Anyone have any more info on Bosa's proposed tower for the current Paladion site? Architects website say it's going to be a 42 story tower.

I really like this design :tup:

http://www.amanatarchitect.com/777/index.php

Holy! I hope this makes it to market. I haven't seen any demo notifications for the site nor permitting requests, so this is probably very conceptual.

SDfan Apr 28, 2016 9:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sandiego_urban (Post 7422123)
https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1469/...20e5c749_c.jpg

Would it kill Sunroad to build one 22 story office tower downtown instead of 2 11 story buildings in Kearny Mesa?

http://www.gensler.com/projects/sunr...trum?q=sunroad

I know. :( But the market conditions aren't there yet (nor have they been for nearly a decade, minus build to suit towers).

sandiego_urban Apr 29, 2016 5:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SDfan (Post 7424440)
Holy! I hope this makes it to market. I haven't seen any demo notifications for the site nor permitting requests, so this is probably very conceptual.

A good sign that this may not be conceptual is because Amanat's website shows the final designs for Horizons, Bayside and the yet to be built Kettner/Ash project Let's keep our fingers crossed that 777 Front will be coming on board next.

http://www.amanatarchitect.com/proje...sidential.html

On a related note, looks like Kettner and Ash looks to be taking off soon.

http://www.bosadev.com/coming-soon.html

sandiego_urban Apr 29, 2016 5:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SDfan (Post 7424443)
I know. :( But the market conditions aren't there yet (nor have they been for nearly a decade, minus build to suit towers).

The downtown office market needs to take off soon before it's end up like Vancouver's West End, where it's mostly residential towers with little commercial. It would be horrible to have a reverse commute from downtown to UTC, Sorrento Valley or Carlsbad. I'm hoping Makers Quarter and I.D.E.A. District will be a game changer.

nezbn22 Apr 29, 2016 5:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sandiego_urban (Post 7424931)
A good sign that this may not be conceptual is because Amanat's website shows the final designs for Horizons, Bayside and the yet to be built Kettner/Ash project Let's keep our fingers crossed that 777 Front will be coming on board next.

http://www.amanatarchitect.com/proje...sidential.html

On a related note, looks like Kettner and Ash looks to be taking off soon.

http://www.bosadev.com/coming-soon.html

I don't know why they haven't announced it yet (maybe they don't want to take attention away from Pacific Gate sales?), but Kettner & Ash has definitely broken ground already. I drive past it everyday on my reverse commute out of downtown (:(), and the lot is fenced off with construction vehicles and machines moving dirt.

Andy-4-SD Apr 30, 2016 8:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sandiego_urban (Post 7423432)
Totally agree about its resemblance to Aqua in Chicago and that's a good thing.

Also agree about its impact on the skyline. As much as I like the look of Pacific Gate, I'd rather see this design in its place. The Ballpark Village tower and the Pinnacle twins are other sites where this design would work.

On another note, the new courthouse tower looks better than I thought it would. Very solid and timeless.

Doesn't Bosa own the property at 1st and Island? That would be an awesome spot too.

eburress May 1, 2016 3:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sandiego_urban (Post 7424938)
The downtown office market needs to take off soon before it's end up like Vancouver's West End, where it's mostly residential towers with little commercial. It would be horrible to have a reverse commute from downtown to UTC, Sorrento Valley or Carlsbad. I'm hoping Makers Quarter and I.D.E.A. District will be a game changer.

That's already what it is. Isn't the UTC/Sorrento Valley already San Diego's largest employment center?

Streamliner May 2, 2016 4:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andy-4-SD (Post 7426491)
Doesn't Bosa own the property at 1st and Island? That would be an awesome spot too.

Yes he does. There was a proposal for that awhile back. Looked extremely bland. Hopefully they rethink that design. Does anybody remember when that site was going to be a tower KUSI newsroom? This was probably 14 years ago...

BOSA also owns the Office Depot parcel on Pacific Hwy/E street right? That would be another good signature tower location. Until the Naval Broadway Complex is built at least.

SDfan May 3, 2016 5:19 PM

If I see one more waterfront proposal I am going to :lynchmob:


SDfan May 3, 2016 5:31 PM

That's not to say I'm opposed to waterfront development, I'm just tired of the 983292302 proposals flying around the bay.

spoonman May 3, 2016 9:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SDfan (Post 7429352)
That's not to say I'm opposed to waterfront development, I'm just tired of the 983292302 proposals flying around the bay.

Makes it fun though to watch the angry NIMBY villagers take to the comment section in the UT to complain about height, density, parking, potholes, developers, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc.

spoonman May 3, 2016 10:27 PM

From the south side, the proposed tower reminds me of the John Hancock in Boston

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c2...8.2-0_t837.jpg
http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c2...0_r900x493.jpg

http://thegrapecatcher.com/hancock.jpg

sandiego_urban May 5, 2016 4:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nezbn22 (Post 7425429)
I don't know why they haven't announced it yet (maybe they don't want to take attention away from Pacific Gate sales?), but Kettner & Ash has definitely broken ground already. I drive past it everyday on my reverse commute out of downtown (:(), and the lot is fenced off with construction vehicles and machines moving dirt.

It is strange that Bosa has been quiet about the groundbreaking of Kettner and Ash. Still not a bad looking design after all these years.

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7229/...26b9ac5a_b.jpg

Quote:

Originally Posted by eburress
That's already what it is. Isn't the UTC/Sorrento Valley already San Diego's largest employment center?

Probably, but I read somewhere that 80,000 people still work downtown, while 35,000 live there. It would be really terrible if it was the other way around.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Streamliner
Yes he does. There was a proposal for that awhile back. Looked extremely bland. Hopefully they rethink that design. Does anybody remember when that site was going to be a tower KUSI newsroom? This was probably 14 years ago...

BOSA also owns the Office Depot parcel on Pacific Hwy/E street right? That would be another good signature tower location. Until the Naval Broadway Complex is built at least.

Good point on both.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SDfan
That's not to say I'm opposed to waterfront development, I'm just tired of the 983292302 proposals flying around the bay.

Exactly. We've seen so many of them that we're all a bit jaded. I do like the tower in the rendering, though.

HurricaneHugo May 5, 2016 5:37 AM

Anybody go to the Horton Plaza Park opening?

Kinda underwhelmed by it, especially with the freaking starbucks right there, not sure if it was worth 18M.

But eh, San Diego now has a place to gather for big events

I can imagine showing WC games or the Superbowl there

SDCAL May 5, 2016 6:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HurricaneHugo (Post 7431824)
Anybody go to the Horton Plaza Park opening?

Kinda underwhelmed by it, especially with the freaking starbucks right there, not sure if it was worth 18M.

But eh, San Diego now has a place to gather for big events

I can imagine showing WC games or the Superbowl there

I drove by it and it looks very cluttered. Not sure if they have a bunch of extra things out for the grand opening, but it doesn't seem like a park - more like a place to store crap. There was some very cheesy looking white picket fence snaking through it that looked temporary (at least I REALLY hope it's temporary). My hope is that after whatever they are doing for the opening is finished they will clear out the clutter and it will look more inviting

SDCAL May 5, 2016 6:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SDfan (Post 7429352)
That's not to say I'm opposed to waterfront development, I'm just tired of the 983292302 proposals flying around the bay.

We've had some doozies for sure ;)

http://voiceofsandiego.org/wp-conten...02/neptune.jpg

JerellO May 5, 2016 9:04 AM

I went to Horton plaza around noon and loved it.. It was cluttered because of the event.. Extra lights, speakers and seating. The Starbucks didn't bother me at all.

The Flying Dutchman May 5, 2016 10:58 PM

The old bank makes it look cramped, IMO. I'd probably preferred if the bank wasn't there, but it is a historical building and worth preserving.

Streamliner May 6, 2016 3:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Flying Dutchman (Post 7432789)
The old bank makes it look cramped, IMO. I'd probably preferred if the bank wasn't there, but it is a historical building and worth preserving.

I agree that it cramps the plaza. It wouldn't be so bad if the facade was facing the plaza instead of the blank wall. Though having a rotating mural/art exhibit on the wall is a nice touch, similar to Trafalgar Square.

JerellO May 6, 2016 5:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Streamliner (Post 7433357)
I agree that it cramps the plaza. It wouldn't be so bad if the facade was facing the plaza instead of the blank wall. Though having a rotating mural/art exhibit on the wall is a nice touch, similar to Trafalgar Square.

And the roof is used to shoot fireworks.. So for New Years celebration it should be pretty awesome.. I wonder how they plan on doing the countdown :)


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:40 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.