SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   City Compilations (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=87)
-   -   SAN DIEGO | Boom Rundown, Vol. 2 (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=126473)

keg92101 Mar 6, 2008 8:10 PM

[QUOTE=SDCAL;3399232]Sobering unit gets ready to relocate

http://www.signonsandiego.com/uniont...es/tank220.gif

Nonprofit seeking lease on warehouse
By Jeanette Steele
UNION-TRIBUNE STAFF WRITER
QUOTE]

What's the percentage of "Drunk in Public" from downtown compared to PB. I'd be willing to bet that the majority come from PB. Much rowdier crowd.

SDCAL Mar 6, 2008 8:16 PM

Gays moving beyond Hillcrest

The UT is full of all kinds of interesting articles today -

I wont paste the whole thing but there is an article about gay and lesbian residents spreading-out more from Hillcrest into surrounding areas. here is a breakdown of SDs "gayest" neigborhoods:

Gay and lesbian couples
by the numbers
San Diego ZIP codes with the largest percentage of unmarried couples who are gay:

92103: Hillcrest, where 43 percent of households headed by unmarried couples are gay or lesbian.

92104: North Park, where 34 percent of households headed by unmarried couples are gay or lesbian.

92116: University Heights, where 34 percent of households with unmarried couples are gay or lesbian.

92115: College Area, Rolando, El Cerrito, where 19 percent of households with unmarried couples are gay or lesbian.

92102: South Park, Golden Hill, where 15 percent of households with unmarried couples are gay or lesbian.

92101: Downtown, where 15 percent of households with unmarried couples are gay or lesbian.

92105: City Heights, where 14 percent of households with unmarried couples are gay or lesbian.

I have noticed where I live in downtown many new gay neighbors. Personally, I think this is a very positive sign. I have noticed that in large, thriving urban areas you see the gay community less contained in it's own isolated district but more dispersed throughout the city, kind of like NY or LA which have Chelsea and W Hollywood respectively, but a larger gay presence in many other areas as well

Just thought it interesting, I think it shows how our city is rapidly changing for the better, becoming more diverse

sandiego_urban Mar 7, 2008 1:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SDCAL (Post 3399207)
Changing the name of Barrio Logan is a TERRIBLE idea

Neighborhoods achieve character through history, and you take the good with the bad

Look at Stingaree - the former name of SDs sleazy red-light district is now the name of one of the city's hippest nightclubs. Part of the lure of the Gaslmap is the revitalization, knowing that a jewel was born from a former brothel-infested sleazy district

When Barrio is revitalized, I want it's history to remain

Look at other cities - NY, for example. "Hell's Kitchen" and "Meat Packing District". These places were once considered vile areas and are now booming and trendy. Part of the lure and nostalgia is with the names

Changing the name of a notorious neighborhood is like trying to black-out it's history. It doesn't work, and it makes the neigborhood appear fake

Let me make myself clear and say that I never meant to say that the Barrio Logan name should go away (I actually like the name), I just didn't want them to lump it into the East Village neighborhood so it becomes invisible.

Is the proposed Metro Center in Barrio Logan, anyways? Either way, I'd love to see a big open-air mercado in the area. If there are Chinatowns, why can't we have a Mexicotown? ;)

It's also good to see that the Old Police Headquarters project is back in the news. A downtown public market would be great as long as it steers clear of mocking the tacky souvenier shops of neighboring Seaport Village.

Lastly, I, too, am glad to see that it's becoming gayer outside of Hillcrest. North Park is definitely coming into it's own and so are the other urban neighborhoods surrounding Balboa Park. 43% of households in Hillcrest is gay? All I have to say is "Holy Barbara Streisand!"

Here's a link the the full article in case you missed it :

http://www.signonsandiego.com/uniont...z6changes.html

sandiego_urban Mar 7, 2008 1:39 AM

There's also a website up for the proposed Metro Center project that provides more renderings and info:

http://metrocentersandiego.com/

Derek Mar 7, 2008 9:40 PM

That site has some good information about the area.

bmfarley Mar 8, 2008 2:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Derek loves SD (Post 3401763)
That site has some good information about the area.

I think that is debatable. Hence, they provide the following:

Quote:

There are an estimated 166,000 and 454,000 people living within three and five mile radii of the Metro Center, with population growth expected to be close to 6% within three and five miles of the site and near 10% within 1 mile. Average household income is $55,000 within three miles, with median household income expected to grow by 13% in the next five years.
Expected population growth within 1 mile, which includes much of downtown, is suppose to be closer to 200%. The Downtown Community Plan anticipates population climbing from about 30k to 90k. Now, if the true population within 1 mile is 600k and growth were only to occur downtown.... then yes, the statement is correct based on (90k-30k = 60k & 60k/600k = 10%)

SDCAL Mar 8, 2008 6:22 PM

Cosmopolitan Square

Anyone know any inside info about this one?
http://www.ccdc.com/images/propertyI...0Rendering.jpg

CCDC just updated their project description:

"Simplon Corporation plans to construct a mixed-use project with 2__-room hotel, ___Condominiums, 13,000 sf of retail block bounded by J Street, Seventh, Eighth and Island avenues. The project will encompass the entire block and include a new, enlarged replacement facility for Fire Station #4. The existing historic fire station building will be rehabilitated and adaptively re-used for commercial purposes as part of the overall project. No construction timeline has been established"

Before they had the project starting in "late 08" and now "no construction timeline has been established"

BUT, they updated it from being all condo to condo and hotel. I guess they are still deciding what percentage will be what as the description has "2__-room hotel"

Hopefully the project will get off the ground sometime. That lot is very depressed looking now and I think this design would compliment the are very nicely

Marina_Guy Mar 9, 2008 1:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SDCAL (Post 3403214)

"Simplon Corporation plans to construct a mixed-use project with 2__-room hotel, ___Condominiums, 13,000 sf of retail block bounded by J Street, Seventh, Eighth and Island avenues. The project will encompass the entire block and include a new, enlarged replacement facility for Fire Station #4. The existing historic fire station building will be rehabilitated and adaptively re-used for commercial purposes as part of the overall project. No construction timeline has been established"

Before they had the project starting in "late 08" and now "no construction timeline has been established"

BUT, they updated it from being all condo to condo and hotel. I guess they are still deciding what percentage will be what as the description has "2__-room hotel"

Hopefully the project will get off the ground sometime. That lot is very depressed looking now and I think this design would compliment the are very nicely

Don't look for anything to happen with it.

SDCAL Mar 9, 2008 1:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marina_Guy (Post 3403842)

are you speculating or do you have info that it's finished??

sandiegodweller Mar 9, 2008 2:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SDCAL (Post 3403214)

Since Simplon doesn't own a portion of the site anymore, I wouldn't hold my breath.

sandiegodweller Mar 9, 2008 2:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SDCAL (Post 3396404)
Good news (I think) - a major high-end kitchen retailer will be going into the ground-level at Legend, on J Street

http://www.bulthaup.com/bulthaup/int..._en_ohneMK.jpg

Bulthaup, a german kitchen design center is advertised to open in May 08 and this is confirmed on it's website.

Hopefully it will find a market here in the downtown condo market the way it has in major urban design areas like NY, Chicago, Paris, etc

http://www.bulthaup.com/bulthaup/int...sb3_gal_05.jpg

Seems like their timing is about 4 years too late. The free-money Home Equity Loans are no longer available and the investors picking up the foreclosures aren't really interested in fixing them up with new kitchens.

bmfarley Mar 9, 2008 4:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sandiegodweller (Post 3403980)
Seems like their timing is about 4 years too late. The free-money Home Equity Loans are no longer available and the investors picking up the foreclosures aren't really interested in fixing them up with new kitchens.

I'd agree with you in spades. But, maybe they are planning on the dead cat bounce taking hold?

keg92101 Mar 9, 2008 6:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sandiegodweller (Post 3403980)

And I'm sure you know more about retail locations than an international, custom, Kitchen manufacturer.

SDCAL Mar 9, 2008 6:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marina_Guy (Post 3403842)

I'm just confused as to why CCDC would have updated Cosmo Square from an all-condo project to a hotel/condo project on March 5th if the project is completely dead?? That's why I'm curious if you have inside info or just speculating. I guess I can try researching it myself by calling around to places

SDCAL Mar 9, 2008 7:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bmfarley (Post 3404128)
I'd agree with you in spades. But, maybe they are planning on the dead cat bounce taking hold?

Also, this brand is pretty well-known in high-end circles, as SDs only Bulthaup showroom I imagine it will attract people from La Jolla, Rancho Santa Fe, and the other affluent areas of the city

Marina_Guy Mar 9, 2008 11:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SDCAL (Post 3404740)
I'm just confused as to why CCDC would have updated Cosmo Square from an all-condo project to a hotel/condo project on March 5th if the project is completely dead?? That's why I'm curious if you have inside info or just speculating. I guess I can try researching it myself by calling around to places

The 'inside' info I have says it is dead. Very dead. And that is sad. Cool building. They just missed the 'easy money' times... I had heard that Doug Wilson was interested in it... but that was a while ago...

Anyone have some comments on the new Hilton? I do. That thing is so nasty. The Port is responsible for more blight. The Port of San Diego should be dismantled. They are incapable of proper planning and oversight. Go look at that thing from Coronado. Look at it as you go over the Coronado Bridge. It is more hideous blight on the skyline. It looks like they forgot to put the top on it. Also, I don't understand the ramp in front of it, is that permanent? If so, why do we have Las Vegas style ramps on the waterfront?

bmfarley Mar 10, 2008 12:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SDCAL (Post 3404740)

I'd speculate that the developer has not formally told CCDC the project is not going to happen, maybe they are trying to sell the lot & plans; and CCDC, while not formally being told, is doing their part to keep and make downtown San Diego appear still developmentally active by keeping the project both on the list and interactive map.

Btw, many project appear to have been updated thru March 5th with little, if anything, materially changing.

sandiegodweller Mar 10, 2008 2:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg92101 (Post 3404721)
And I'm sure you know more about retail locations than an international, custom, Kitchen manufacturer.

No sir, it is called common sense and intuition, something that has been lacking in the market for about 5 years now.

sandiegodweller Mar 10, 2008 2:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SDCAL (Post 3404745)
Also, this brand is pretty well-known in high-end circles, as SDs only Bulthaup showroom I imagine it will attract people from La Jolla, Rancho Santa Fe, and the other affluent areas of the city

So why not put your showroom near your potential clients? Maybe a shop in La Jolla or Rancho Santa Fe might be a better location.

sandiegodweller Mar 10, 2008 2:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bmfarley (Post 3405303)
I'd speculate that the developer has not formally told CCDC the project is not going to happen, maybe they are trying to sell the lot & plans; and CCDC, while not formally being told, is doing their part to keep and make downtown San Diego appear still developmentally active by keeping the project both on the list and interactive map.

Btw, many project appear to have been updated thru March 5th with little, if anything, materially changing.

The site was partially foreclosed on. It was shopped around to every office developer, condo developer and "vulture" fund around for the past year. I am pretty sure that the CCDC knows the situation considering that the Fire Station property was a portion of the approved project..