SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=223)
-   -   [Halifax] Barrington Espace | ? m | 5 fl | Completed (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=179273)

Jonovision Apr 16, 2010 2:52 PM

It's taken roughly 5 months. The first public meeting for this one was the week before Christmas if I remember correctly.

eastcoastal Apr 16, 2010 8:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jonovision (Post 4797776)
It's taken roughly 5 months. The first public meeting for this one was the week before Christmas if I remember correctly.

I'm not sure how long the proposal's been around... the 60 days number is not a "target" though. If a project is not approved within 60 days of the submission of its Site Plan Approval documents to the Municipality, then it is considered rejected. The key is the clock starts ticking at the submission, not when the developer starts talking to the community.

Jonovision Apr 17, 2010 6:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eastcoastal (Post 4798318)
I'm not sure how long the proposal's been around... the 60 days number is not a "target" though. If a project is not approved within 60 days of the submission of its Site Plan Approval documents to the Municipality, then it is considered rejected. The key is the clock starts ticking at the submission, not when the developer starts talking to the community.

True, but my understanding of the new process was that the public meeting was suppose to line up with the submission. This obviously didn't happen. But non the less I'm glad to see things moving at a much more reasonable pace.

worldlyhaligonian Apr 18, 2010 7:05 PM

Meh, I think it only went through the process because its not tall... we have yet to see a tall proposal go through HbD.

Halifax Hillbilly Apr 20, 2010 12:25 AM

I can't imagine too many new big projects coming down the pipe anytime soon, they all got rushed through before HRMbyDesign. It's true though, a big project will be the test.

Dmajackson Apr 20, 2010 9:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by worldlyhaligonian (Post 4800773)
Meh, I think it only went through the process because its not tall... we have yet to see a tall proposal go through HbD.

What about the proposed TD Tower expansion? That is/was heading through the HbD

worldlyhaligonian Apr 20, 2010 10:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bedford_DJ (Post 4804204)

Lol, ok... let's say for a totally new development of that height then. I doubt anything like that will be proposed soon due to the backlog, but we'll wait and see.

someone123 Apr 20, 2010 10:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by worldlyhaligonian (Post 4804296)
Lol, ok... let's say for a totally new development of that height then. I doubt anything like that will be proposed soon due to the backlog, but we'll wait and see.

Well, you never know.. the Trillium is under construction and it was proposed after United Gulf or a number of others. There's no requirement for a new developer to wait until the current round is done.

Dmajackson Jun 12, 2010 6:30 PM

No construction yet but for a little thread *bump* here's a photo of the site;

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4015/...621e5533_b.jpg

someone123 Jun 12, 2010 11:45 PM

Barrington Street right now looks like such a disgrace. I do think it's going to improve fairly quickly, but for now it looks like Detroit or Buffalo. It never should have gotten into this state in the first place.

eastcoastal Jun 13, 2010 1:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dmajackson (Post 4804204)

TD hasn't hit the HbD process yet, and from what I hear, it doesn't meet the non-negotiable requirements, so probably wouldn't make it to the design review committee.

Dmajackson Sep 20, 2010 4:35 AM

Has anybody been around this site lately? It was supposed to start construction this summer ...

eastcoastal Sep 20, 2010 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dmajackson (Post 4986781)
Has anybody been around this site lately? It was supposed to start construction this summer ...

Was on Barrington St. this weekend. No visible progress here.

DigitalNinja Sep 20, 2010 11:40 AM

Has starfish ever even built something downtown? Or have they just bought up a bunch of small older buildings?

halifaxboyns Sep 20, 2010 5:12 PM

If this was approved through HbD and the committee; my impression was it only gave development approval and didn't authorize a building permit? If that's the case; they still need to get the building permit approved before they can progress to construction - which might take a while considering the age of the buildings.

I could be wrong.

I haven't been home since last Christmas, but I have to say I agree with you someone123, it is pretty bad. But I hold out hope that even with little projects like this, we can bring about some change in the downtown core.

Baby steps forward are better (in my mind) than a giant leap backwards! Plus from what I saw, the renderings looked pretty good and integrated well the old and new.

someone123 Sep 20, 2010 6:35 PM

I read at one point that several of these were waiting for building permits, but I am not sure if that is the case for this development.

halifaxboyns Sep 20, 2010 7:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by someone123 (Post 4987254)
I read at one point that several of these were waiting for building permits, but I am not sure if that is the case for this development.

I suspect that it might be problem - the one downside when you do developments like this (which is what I think waterside ran into at one point) is that bringing the older parts of the development up to code isn't easy at all.

Northend Guy Sep 22, 2010 1:57 PM

I've heard thru the grapevine that the holdup on this job isn't the permit, but that they don't actually have any tenants yet. ...hopefully that will change soon.

sdm Sep 22, 2010 2:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Northend Guy (Post 4989508)
I've heard thru the grapevine that the holdup on this job isn't the permit, but that they don't actually have any tenants yet. ...hopefully that will change soon.

Thats the word on the street and the reason a number of projects are not proceeding quickly.

Dmajackson Oct 10, 2010 4:13 PM

Construction permit has been issued for this building. As of yesterday no work had begun.

- DJ