SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Canada (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   The Great Canadian Sports Attendance, Marketing and TV Ratings Thread (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=228928)

elly63 Jul 9, 2018 6:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TorontoDrew (Post 8245653)
They can give away all the Toronto centric crap they can think of at games, it's not going to help this failing league in Toronto. Last years average home game attendance for the Argo's was a pathetic 51.53%, even with all the free crap.

So you want to see it dead right? Just so we know where you stand.

esquire Jul 9, 2018 6:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elly63 (Post 8245665)
So you want to see it dead right? Just so we know where you stand.

Once the Argos die then the New England Patriots and Philadelphia Eagles will both move to Toronto and there will be a Super Bowl parade every year! :upload_71700:

elly63 Jul 9, 2018 7:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by esquire (Post 8245675)
Once the Argos die then the New England Patriots and Philadelphia Eagles will both move to Toronto and there will be a Super Bowl parade every year!

Just a bit of trivia, one of my cousins was the GM for the Philadelphia Eagles (he started Ronald MacDonald House) and his brother was an owner of the Pats.

cjones2451 Jul 9, 2018 7:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by osmo (Post 8244916)
MLSE has hit some marketing homeruns one the years with the 'We The North' (Raptors), and 'Bloody Big Deal' (TFC).

It was used when they signed Jermaine Defoe a few years ago from the English Premier League and Michael Bradley (US Player from Roma), which fizzled when Defoe went back after 1 season

cjones2451 Jul 9, 2018 7:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elly63 (Post 8245611)
Was Carl Robinson sitting in on one of these?

He was for the first few games

PBruge Jul 9, 2018 8:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by osmo (Post 8244916)
MLSE has hit some marketing homeruns one the years with the 'We The North' (Raptors), and 'Bloody Big Deal' (TFC).

For which they can thank Montreal ad agency Sid Lee

Video Link

Acajack Jul 9, 2018 8:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PBruge (Post 8245834)
For which they can thank Montreal ad agency Sid Lee

Shit de marde.

mistercorporate Jul 9, 2018 8:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by isaidso (Post 8245003)
I live in Toronto and have never seen that MLS marketing campaign. And why are they trying to sound British? Did they sign someone from there?

Yes they did, Jermain Defoe, an accomplished British player whose still playing in the English Premier League.

elly63 Jul 9, 2018 8:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cjones2451 (Post 8245743)
He was for the first few games

I thought there was a fourth guy and I was pretty sure it wasn't Dunfield. Anyway, point being, big turnoff for me, when trying to grow the game to Joe Sixpack Canadian outside the GTA.

mistercorporate Jul 9, 2018 8:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Acajack (Post 8245544)
The TSN studio crew based in Toronto *all* have British accents?

And the actual game coverage I assume is a feed from a British network?

The commentators are mostly former players on Canadian teams. In the early days of MLS in Canada, TFC hired many marquee British players. Nowadays it's more diverse.

Carl Robinson is a former TFC player and current Whitecaps coach, Stephen Caldwell is a former TFC player as well. When players retire, they either become coaches or commentators, there are career opportunities beyond playing. We'll likely see Bradley and Giovinco become commentators in the future.

JHikka Jul 10, 2018 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Acajack (Post 8245544)
The TSN studio crew based in Toronto *all* have British accents?

And the actual game coverage I assume is a feed from a British network?

Yes. Jack, Wileman, and Caldwell have all spent significant time in Canada. Jack and James Sharman go back to the old The Score days for what seems a decade ago.

The feed for the World Cup game itself is the international English feed which by default is British announcers. It is not BBC/ITV coverage. TSN usually does this for World Cup and currently does it for things like F1 and tennis.

RDS has their own studio crew but also provide RDS commentary for World Cup, as they also do for tennis and F1.

Quote:

Originally Posted by elly63 (Post 8245862)
I thought there was a fourth guy and I was pretty sure it wasn't Dunfield. Anyway, point being, big turnoff for me, when trying to grow the game to Joe Sixpack Canadian outside the GTA.

Vast majority of people I've watched World Cup games this year with don't care about the studio crew. They're just talking heads regardless of what accent they have. Majority of the time people are talking or getting food/beers during halftime.

This is all beside the fact that Jack and Caldwell do provide phenomenal breakdowns and analysis of matches and goals. Jack is arguably one of the best in the business at it. I'd rather viewers potentially learn the sport from them than potentially feeling more spoken to by them based on them being Canadian or not.

HomeInMyShoes Jul 10, 2018 1:49 PM

We don't care about the studio crew here. We do talk about the Cokes on the desk and if they are ever going to take a sip. :haha:

esquire Jul 10, 2018 1:50 PM

^ As someone who is not knowledgeable when it comes to soccer, to my ears a soccer panel automatically sounds more knowledgeable and authoritative when it's stocked with people who have various accents from around the UK. :)

king10 Jul 10, 2018 2:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes (Post 8246536)
We don't care about the studio crew here. We do talk about the Cokes on the desk and if they are ever going to take a sip. :haha:

LOL i've been waiting for one of them to have a sip from those Coke bottles.

samne Jul 10, 2018 2:21 PM

I like their transition from Orange Juice in the morning to Coke bottles in the afternoon.

The TSN crew is ok. Actually, much prefer the Sportsnet Soccer crew of Sharman, Dichio and Forest.

I really enjoy the British commentators. They make everything so dramatic and over the top. Really adds to the spectacle. Its fun.

HomeInMyShoes Jul 10, 2018 2:23 PM

I got my son to laugh suggesting that one of them should just chug the bottle and do an Elf burp.

isaidso Jul 13, 2018 1:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mistercorporate (Post 8245852)
Yes they did, Jermain Defoe, an accomplished British player whose still playing in the English Premier League.

I must have missed it. Is he any good?

isaidso Jul 13, 2018 1:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mistercorporate (Post 8245864)
The commentators are mostly former players on Canadian teams.

Now that Canada will have a team at the 2026 World Cup it would be nice if we actually got a Canadian broadcast with a Canadian panel. They could start with 2022 as a test run. I suppose that's too much to ask and we'll end up with a British and/or US feed.

JHikka Jul 13, 2018 2:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by isaidso (Post 8249891)
Now that Canada will have a team at the 2026 World Cup it would be nice if we actually got a Canadian broadcast with a Canadian panel. They could start with 2022 as a test run. I suppose that's too much to ask and we'll end up with a British and/or US feed.

Sportsnet had a Canadian panel for this World Cup. They're not broadcasting games but their panel was Canadian (aside from Sharman IIRC, who's been in the country for over a decade anyway).

mistercorporate Jul 13, 2018 4:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by isaidso (Post 8249887)
I must have missed it. Is he any good?

Yes he's Good, was good in Toronto too but our team really sucked back then and management was quite dysfunctional.