SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   City Compilations (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=87)
-   -   SAN DIEGO | Boom Rundown, Vol. 2 (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=126473)

VA_Gentleman Apr 5, 2007 3:55 AM

Man, you guys have a heck of a boom. I'm amazed at how many condo buildings are going up. That will make for a more lively city instead of just commuters. Any idea of the percentages of construction for office to retail to residential?

Derek Apr 5, 2007 3:57 AM

^i wish

but thank you for the attention;)

Urban Sky Apr 5, 2007 4:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Derek loves SD (Post 2743841)
i gotta disagree, i think diversity is good, but i do agree with focusing highrise construction downtown

well, when our downtown is as built up and diverse as it needs to be or could be, then sure, id be willing to give up highrises to other areas. but right now, there is plenty of room to expand. i would love to see several different neighborhoods develop and thrive independently of each other.

Derek Apr 5, 2007 4:02 AM

^i see...

then yes, i agree;)

Urban Sky Apr 5, 2007 4:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VA_Gentleman (Post 2744086)
Man, you guys have a heck of a boom. I'm amazed at how many condo buildings are going up. That will make for a more lively city instead of just commuters. Any idea of the percentages of construction for office to retail to residential?

This is just a guess, but I would say that Residential dominates about 70% of downtown construction at this time. Outside of downtown, high-rise development is almost 90-100% commercial. If you read some of the discussions above, you will see that unfortunately demand still needs to be created for commercial office space in the CBD. There are several Hotels going up and most all the buildings have some type of ground level retail. I hope that answers your question. :)

Derek Apr 5, 2007 4:28 AM

damn the Padres game is so good tonight!

Urban Sky Apr 5, 2007 5:32 AM

whens opening night down here? the 6th?

Derek Apr 5, 2007 5:55 AM

Friday (April 6th yep:))

spoonman Apr 5, 2007 6:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eburress (Post 2743433)
It's exciting to think that other buildings might soon go up in that Kearny Mesa area. Outside of a few small pockets, there's not much height in SD, but it's nice to see that might change.

Sorry, but I think there is a lot more than it sounds like you might be giving credit for. Think of Sorrento Valley (now including the new Qualcomm complex...which is a fancy green building too), UTC, University Heights, Mission Valley and the Balboa Park/163 Corridor. Coronado even has condo towers by the Hotel Del. Del Mar Heights has had success building mid-rise offices and I wouldn't be suprised to see a highrise or two there in the not too distant future.

spoonman Apr 5, 2007 6:07 AM

Just wanted to throw it out there^^^

spoonman Apr 5, 2007 6:12 AM

Anyone else think they're addicted to SSP?

Derek Apr 5, 2007 6:17 AM

^dude, i just had 500 posts docked for whore posting, yes i am addicted;)

spoonman Apr 5, 2007 6:25 AM

If we can develop a 12-Step program for SSP, we'll be rich:upload_71700:

Urban Sky Apr 5, 2007 6:28 AM

id say the majority of those are mid-rises...few high rises. nothing in downtown is even over 500 feet...so outside? im guessing 300 tops, if that.

spoonman Apr 5, 2007 6:29 AM

I have to whore post sometimes to keep the individual project threads alive. They always need help. For whatever reason, we don't have a lot of San Diego SSP members. I think if there was snow in San Diego we'd see more of that type of thing.

Derek Apr 5, 2007 6:29 AM

La Jolla is pushing 400 feet...

Derek Apr 5, 2007 6:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spoonman (Post 2744452)
I have to whore post sometimes to keep the individual project threads alive. They always need help. For whatever reason, we don't have a lot of San Diego SSP members. I think if there was snow in San Diego we'd see more of that type of thing.

yes, snow would...definitly solve that:koko:

:jester:

spoonman Apr 5, 2007 6:31 AM

Seriously though, I bet Buffalo has more regular members than San Diego...

sandiego_urban Apr 5, 2007 6:32 AM

What the hell has happened in here? How did you all get so chatty in just a couple of days? I guess the only way to keep up-to-date in here is to check in everyday...not necessarily a bad thing :)

Here's an interesting article from this week's SD Business Journal regarding the 7th & Market proposal. This condo/apartment/hotel will have 638 units, so chances are favorable for a fairly tall tower. I believe this project is the empty lot in between The Mark and Alta.

Redevelopment Arm OKs Proposal for Historic Block on Market Street

African American District Was Once Called Harlem of the West

By JESSICA LONG
San Diego Business Journal Staff

A downtown city block once slated to become little more than another reinforced-concrete parking lot may soon host apartments, condos, a hotel and a police substation, as well as public art and retail space.

A committee of the Centre City Development Corp. voted March 26 to accept a proposal by the joint venture of Related/City Link Investment to develop the 55,000-square-foot block bounded by Seventh Avenue on the west, Market Street on the north, Eighth Avenue on the east and Island Avenue on the south.

Related LP is based in New York, while City Link Investment Corp. is based in downtown San Diego.

On March 28, the full CCDC board approved an exclusive negotiation agreement with Related/City Link that paves the way for the two to discuss finances.

In Related/City Link’s proposal, total development costs for developing the block are listed at $298 million.

“It’s envisioned to be a fairly extensive mixed-use project,” said John Collum, senior project manager with the Centre City Development Corp., the city’s planning and redevelopment agency that oversees downtown redevelopment projects.

CCDC owns the block, excluding a privately owned, 56-room hotel designated a historic landmark because of its relationship with African Americans who visited the city.

The venerable Clermont Hotel, once advertised as “a hotel for colored people,” was built in 1887.

The history of the property is expected to play a big role in the redevelopment project, which may include public art or some other kind of homage to an area dubbed the Harlem of the West in the 1920s.

In its proposal to CCDC, Related/City Link proposed a project that was roughly 1 percent police storefront and cultural space, 2 percent retail/restaurant, 21 percent condos, 35 percent hotel and 41 percent apartments.

The proposed hotel would feature 220 rooms, according to city documents that have been filed with CCDC.

The overall project would include 418 apartments and condos, with the average size being 753 square feet.

About 20 percent of the units would be considered affordable housing, and offered to residents with lower incomes.

Representatives for Related/City Link were unavailable to give details of their proposal.

According to Derek Danziger, communications director for CCDC, the process of selecting a developer for Seventh and Market began several months ago.

Related/City Link was among seven original proposal submitters, a pool that was later whittled to three, then two and, finally, just one last week.

“Basically, our board said we had a much greater opportunity to do more,” Danziger said. “Parking will still be an essential element, but now there’s room to develop other things.”

spoonman Apr 5, 2007 6:32 AM

I put myself on the Google Map yesterday...that's when you know you're in trouble