SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum//index.php)
-   Completed Project Threads Archive (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum//forumdisplay.php?f=348)
-   -   CHICAGO | Aqua | 858 FT / 262 M | 87 FLOORS (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum//showthread.php?t=99367)

STR Mar 16, 2006 6:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spyguy
Why is 2 Prudential red?

You've never noticed the red and blue framing down the center of 2 Pru? Granted the color shows up more than I want it to, but I'm so sick of that building I don't think I'm going to mess with it. 10 hours will do that to a man.

VivaLFuego Mar 16, 2006 3:50 PM

^Inland steel is a really great building, but its not exactly a skyscraper.

Steely, a bit of a modernism fan? :) Conspicuously though, I don't see any Mies on your list.

Steely Dan Mar 16, 2006 4:02 PM

^ that's because mies' piece de resistance in chicago is crown hall, a lowrise structure. it's probably the most significant building in chicago, if not all of the midwest. it's our parthenon. his highrises are fantastic as well, but i can never seem to choose between fed center, IBM, and the LSD apartments.

anyway, i'm responsible for steeering this thing way off track, so we gotta bring it back to aqua somehow. hopefuly victor will get that rendering tomorrow. i can't wait.

UrbanSophist Mar 16, 2006 5:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VivaLFuego
^Inland steel is a really great building, but its not exactly a skyscraper.

What exactly disqualifies it from being considered a true skyscraper?

alex1 Mar 17, 2006 5:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steely Dan
^ that's because mies' piece de resistance in chicago is crown hall, a lowrise structure. it's probably the most significant building in chicago, if not all of the midwest. it's our parthenon. his highrises are fantastic as well, but i can never seem to choose between fed center, IBM, and the LSD apartments.

anyway, i'm responsible for steeering this thing way off track, so we gotta bring it back to aqua somehow. hopefuly victor will get that rendering tomorrow. i can't wait.

hate to keep this off topic but his LSD towers are pure candy. Few modernist towers can make me shiver like those pair of twins do.

regarding Aqua, can't wait to see the new renderings. more detail is what I crave with this puppy.

Mr Roboto Mar 17, 2006 6:21 AM

Hello Chi forumers,
I just had to say, besides the Fordham Spire, I must say I am most excited about this building for Chicago. Im an amateur as far as judging architecture, but something about the waves make it look so unique, it will stand out not only in LSE but in the whole skyline.

I think chicago will be real lucky to get a building like this. Just from the model its dope looking, I have never seen anything like it before.

Im just wondering what all that specialized balcony material for the waves will do to the cost of the building, and the units. I guess all these new res. bldgs near the river are extra extravagant though.

Dan in Chicago Mar 17, 2006 7:09 AM

^ You don't sound like an amateur to me. Your taste is better than a lot of architects' and most condo buyers'.

spyguy Mar 18, 2006 3:19 AM

Maybe this will help a little :cheers:

In an increasingly dense city like Chicago, views from a new tower must be negotiated between existing buildings. Aqua tower considers criteria such as views, solar shading and function to derive a vertical system of contours that gives the structure its sculptural form. Its vertical topography is defined by its outdoor terraces that gradually change in plan over the length of the tower. These terraces offer a strong connection to the outdoors and allow inhabitants to occupy the building fa├žade and city simultaneously. The result is a highly sculptural building when viewed obliquely that transforms into a slender rectangle from further away. Its powerful form suggests the limestone outcroppings and geologic forces that shaped the great lakes region.

http://img119.imageshack.us/img119/8632/aqua13ie.jpg
http://img119.imageshack.us/img119/264/aqua35jn.jpg
http://img119.imageshack.us/img119/6344/aqua44td.jpg
http://img119.imageshack.us/img119/3060/aqua67ad.jpg
http://img119.imageshack.us/img119/6717/aqua56xf.jpg
http://img119.imageshack.us/img119/6947/aqua20eo.jpg


Architect: Studio Gang Architects
Architect of Record: Loewenberg & Associates
Owner: Magellan Development
Program: Hotel and Residential High-rise with
retail and commercial spaces
Size: 1.9 m SF including parking, 823 feet high
Construction Begins: 2006

UrbanSophist Mar 18, 2006 3:35 AM

That looks really nice.

Makes me sad, however, at all the missed opportunities in this city...

BVictor1 Mar 18, 2006 3:59 AM

Goddamnit!!! I been trying to get fucking renderings 4ever, and the 1 time I got out of town...

STR Mar 18, 2006 4:09 AM

^Well, you could always do what I do and make your own renders. :)

spyguy Mar 18, 2006 4:55 AM

Sorry Victor...but those Fordham shots were sweet.

BVictor1 Mar 18, 2006 5:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spyguy
Sorry Victor...but those Fordham shots were sweet.

It's okay. I am by no means finished.

I feel like a reporther that's just been scooped.

Wild Onion Mike Mar 18, 2006 5:54 AM

Wow!! I love that third picture you posted spyguy! I never tried to visualize Aqua from street level before, only from a distance. I looks absolutely fantastic. Almost like a waving banner in suspended animation.

You have to admit Aqua, Fordham Spire, the Spertus Institute, and Piano's addition to the Art Institute allow Chicago to finally continue its heritage as a bastion of wonderful (kick-ass) urban design.

UrbanSophist Mar 18, 2006 6:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wild Onion Mike
Wow!! I love that third picture you posted spyguy! I never tried to visualize Aqua from street level before, only from a distance. I looks absolutely fantastic. Almost like a waving banner in suspended animation.

You have to admit Aqua, Fordham Spire, the Spertus Institute, and Piano's addition to the Art Institute allow Chicago to finally continue its heritage as a bastion of wonderful (kick-ass) urban design.

I hope more developers take note that Chicagoans actually care about good design.

Wild Onion Mike Mar 18, 2006 6:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UrbanSophist
I hope more developers take note that Chicagoans actually care about good design.

To be honest, it's not that we care, it's that we demand and expect good design.

Architects listen up. You want to build here? Then bring it strong. Bring it with intent. Bring it with passion. Otherwise, don't bring it at all. Chicago deserves the best you can create. You need Chicago because it challenges not only your designs, but your credibility. Chicago is a showplace for your talent: the grand stage. Don't dare think about "phoning it in." Show us your passion!


You go Gang Studio!

The Cheat Mar 18, 2006 8:39 AM

It's an unusual treatment of the balconies, but I think I like it.

mind field Mar 18, 2006 9:30 AM

Wow. It's like Chicago is transcending planet earth with this surreal architecture. If Fordham and Aqua are built, the jaw drop factor of the skyline will go to another level. Chicago is becoming the undisputed highrise architecture capital of the world.

chiphile Mar 18, 2006 12:54 PM

I don't like Aqua's site, if it were right next to Fordham on the other side of the river, that would be an awesome gateway into the river canyon.

trvlr70 Mar 18, 2006 3:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiphile
I don't like Aqua's site, if it were right next to Fordham on the other side of the river, that would be an awesome gateway into the river canyon.

I'm also concerned that all that great architecture won't be visible at all in the building's location. I hope at least that visitors to Harbor Park will at least have a nice vantage point.


All times are GMT. The time now is 9:45 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.