SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Southwest (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=643)
-   -   Tempe Development Thread (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=96153)

DevilsRider May 5, 2014 11:36 PM

http://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/n...for-major.html

Renovations to this hotel are LONG overdue...but I will miss the IHOP I went to for many a late-semester pancake study session...

Jjs5056 May 6, 2014 6:46 AM

Those Cottages along Priest/University are a shame; the Vale and Merrion Square turned out beautiful urban developments, regardless of whether there is transit readily available. It's our major thoroughfare, and should have those 4-6 story apartments and live/work Townhomes running east from Priest. It doesn't do some of the unique neighborhoods nearby justice right now. And, even if the Cottages aren't bring built along Uni directly, I just hate even seeing proposals for the highly outdated village model.

Spitfire - I believe the "slum" was in reference to Hub, FYI.

As far as Apache, I understand both sides. The transition has been astounding, from Gammage to the 101. The problem, like much of Arizona development, is hoe segregated each project is from each other - by design, or by sheer distance. This has left several higher end new projects alone on a block of seedy low density junk. The result, of course, is that nobody's retail has been successful aside from 922 Place, which is directly adjacent to major residential projects, further proving my point. Then, within those gaps of newer development are a lot of empty, fenced in properties from the boom years. I wouldn't worry about them - even if market rate rentals never make their way to that corridor, if ASU goes bigger, student housing will always be a safe bet. The Grand will take up a lot of the vacant land, and is a really nice project in scale with the neighborhood with the right mix of uses and a unique design. Hopefully, that helps the blighted impression in that area. As for a second lot being worked on, can you provide more details? Is it a renovation or née construction? Could it simply be staging for The Grand? Or, perhaps the sorority tower mentioned months ago?

Finally,a little disappointed in the Palms update. First, for the memories, but mainly because I had said before that I thought downtown Tempe could absorb one more hotel, especially a unique, off-brand boutique hotel, and I was holding out hope that it would go on Mill/7th, at the Mill site, or old Le Meriden parcel. Oh well.

azsunsurfer May 6, 2014 5:16 PM

The Cottages is a great development. Tempe needs more infill projects like this....you can achieve a higher amount of density in a project liket his than a one 4 story building. Pick up a Jane Jacobs book sometime, it will do you wonders....

DevilsRider May 6, 2014 5:34 PM

Taking into consideration that I *NEVER* want to see something like this written about Tempe, particularly north of the 60...
Quote:

its like a slice of suburbia on Lindon Lane near Priest Drive and University Avenue
It's not surprising that this type of development is going in at this location. So far west of downtown, directly abutting low-density office space, with limited transit (yes, the Orbit Venus runs on Lindon and connects to downtown, but only the eastbound is on Lindon, you have to walk to Priest for the westbound; and the schedules for the 30 and the 56 aren't that good for anybody choosing to use transit)...

(Deep breath)

Given all that, while I don't think it's a "great" development, I think it's appropriate for its location, and it is increasing density. If this were being proposed east of Hardy, it'd be garbage that has no business so close to downtown. But where it is, it's...acceptable. :runaway:

Jjs5056 May 6, 2014 11:42 PM

I wasn't proposing a Vale-like project, just using it as an example of a pedestrian-friendly development in an area underserved by transit.

I'm not concerned about the density that will be created- if the residents can't walk or ride the light rail downtown, they're just as likely to visit downtown as they were before in whatever car-oriented dwelling they lived in previously. And, as with everything, density needs to be balanced out with other criteria that make a good project. For me, that includes unique architecture with a connection to the surrounding neighborhood.

This old-school model jut doesn't work for me. It's unimaginative and creates its own little island in the middle of whichever neighborhood it gets built in. It does everything it can to keep residents in and neighbors out. The amount of surface parking within these developments is also an issue for me. I just wish there was an updated suburban model for apartments, that's all. I don't know if you work for a developer/design firm/etc., and it's great if you really do think all of the projects you continue to cheerlead are beneficial to Tempe, but can you please quit with the insults each time I disagree?

TempeSilverFox May 7, 2014 1:31 AM

Hayden Ferry Lakeside III breaks ground!

Quote:

Tempe Mayor Mark Mitchell and Tempe city council members joined developer Ryan Companies, architect DAVIS, owner Parkway Properties and other community leaders to celebrate the start of construction of Hayden Ferry Lakeside III (HFL III) on the corner of Mill Avenue and Rio Salado Parkway. HFL III, a planned class A, 265,000 square foot, 10-story office tower, is the last of three office towers owned by Parkway Properties at the Hayden Ferry Lakeside Development on Tempe Town Lake.

Hayden Ferry Lakeside was the first major development along Tempe Town Lake and precipitated other, more recent development such as Marina Heights, the new home of State Farm. Hayden Ferry Lakeside buildings I and II were completed in 2002 and 2007, respectively. As of January 1, 2014, both buildings are a combined 98% leased. Construction at HFL III has begun and leasing is well underway. The building is expected to be completed in September 2015.

“We are very excited to celebrate the start of construction on what will be the final office element of the Hayden Ferry Lakeside complex,” said Tempe Mayor Mark Mitchell. “The entire complex represents the many dreams that residents and city leaders had when Tempe Town Lake was first conceived and built. This is the type of well-designed, multi-use development we had envisioned and it will stand the test of time.”

“We are thrilled to begin construction of Hayden Ferry Lakeside III and are confident that it will be leased quickly. There are very few opportunities for users with large space requirements in downtown Tempe which is being recognized nationally as a progressive, urban and thriving city,” said Molly Carson, Vice President of Ryan Companies. “Our wonderful partnership with the city of Tempe and Parkway Properties will help us be successful.”

“We are grateful for our strong relationship with the city of Tempe and Ryan Companies and are proud to be a part of completing this important development for the city. Our existing one million square foot portfolio in Tempe has performed extremely well and Hayden Ferry III is an addition that meets the demands of today’s tenants,” commented Matt Mooney, Vice President and Phoenix Managing Director for Parkway Properties.

HFL III building design, led by DAVIS, will maintain the same boat-shaped, nautical theme as its sister towers. It will be upgraded with a clean and slightly more contemporary expression that compliments the neighboring buildings. Building finishes will incorporate the notable cobalt blue glass, aluminum panels and horizontal mullion expression of the window system. Balconies will provide an exceptional view and connection to Mill Avenue. The landscape and hardscape materials will be consistent with what has already been established previously with the metaphoric stream and blue paving, completing the design as originally conceived.
http://azbigmedia.com/featured/hayde...-breaks-ground

Spitfiredude May 7, 2014 2:47 AM

^

HFL 3 groundbreaking is old news. This is the third time its been reported on this site. They've been working on the site for about 6 weeks now.

Oh & they have the first section for the tower crane at Univ House Phase 2 in place. Going directly east of the current building, right on the edge of Veterans Way

RichTempe May 7, 2014 4:05 AM

Anyone know what's going up at the Fountainhead Business Park off I-10 along the Broadway curve? There's construction going on along the freeway side and work being done on the Priest Rd. side. I know there was something on the thread a while back about new buildings going in, but didn't know if there were any renderings or specifics?

Spitfiredude May 7, 2014 6:07 AM

http://www.tempe.gov/Modules/ShowDoc...cumentid=24481

Villas at Southbank (17 story tower on lake, 211'), is scheduled to begin work in the 4th Q of this year.

DevilsRider May 7, 2014 2:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spitfiredude (Post 6567913)
http://www.tempe.gov/Modules/ShowDoc...cumentid=24481

Villas at Southbank (17 story tower on lake, 211'), is scheduled to begin work in the 4th Q of this year.

Thanks for sharing this update! But...I'll believe it when I see it :tup:

Jjs5056 May 8, 2014 3:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichTempe (Post 6567823)
Anyone know what's going up at the Fountainhead Business Park off I-10 along the Broadway curve? There's construction going on along the freeway side and work being done on the Priest Rd. side. I know there was something on the thread a while back about new buildings going in, but didn't know if there were any renderings or specifics?

Hmm, Fountainhead has put through quite a few different proposals within the last year or so, so it's hard to tell, though I'll go through Tempe's site if I get the chance.

Unfortunately, I assume it is it is for the parking structure they're planning, but maybe they are are building the office tower in tandem with it? The other proposal they have is for apartments on Priest and Alameda. That's the oldest proposal, but I hope it does get built in time. Fountainhead may not be designed under what we consider best practices for urban design, but they're one of the few office parks that has been able to complete several of its parcels, and it has done so with some fairly nice open space. Adding residential would be a great milestone for Tempe as its premier suburban commercial area turns to a more sustainable live-work model.

I have always hated the fact that the Broadway curve has taller buildings than downtown will ever get it seems - I have to imagine Fountainhead new construction is pretty damn expensive, and at least you get the notoriety and amenities when on Mill. I always imagine the 2 tallest buildings on Ash/University in a larger mixed use development that included the phantom residential tower, with the garages moving underground. Neither Phoenix nor Tempe really have a nice layered look, with the tallest buildings in the core slowly lowering to midrise as they enter the neighborhoods. If a city weere built perfectly that way, it'd be too formal of course, but AZ cities are very linear and sporadic.

Tempe really isn't much better than downtown Phoenix when it comes to job sprawl - allowing high density growth along Price, Warner/10, and the Broadway Curve, while the lakeside development is technically beyond the downtown borders, as well. Just pointing that out, as I continually hope for an extended streetcar that one day extends to Fountainhead via Priest/Galvin Parkway.

Leo the Dog May 8, 2014 4:18 AM

When I see mid-rise development around the Broadway Curve or the 10/32nd St, I instantly think of Irvine, CA. Not a bad thing, but clusters of mid-rise districts adjacent to the freeway, aren't a bad use of land IMO of course.

ASUSunDevil May 8, 2014 8:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leo the Dog (Post 6569354)
When I see mid-rise development around the Broadway Curve or the 10/32nd St, I instantly think of Irvine, CA. Not a bad thing, but clusters of mid-rise districts adjacent to the freeway, aren't a bad use of land IMO of course.

Kind of funny that Angels Stadium is right there too, but I completely agree.

exit2lef May 8, 2014 8:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ASUSunDevil (Post 6570252)
Kind of funny that Angels Stadium is right there too, but I completely agree.

I used to work on the top floor of one of the towers at Fountainhead. The view of Angels home games during Spring Training was a nice amenity. Unfortunately, none of the scoreboards were visible from across the freeway, so you really had to pay attention to the game if you wanted to know who was ahead at any time.

Jjs5056 May 8, 2014 8:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leo the Dog (Post 6569354)

Does Irvine have a downtown core with a denser concentration of jobs, or is it mostly suburban office parks? I just see some of the companies that locate on the fringe of Tempe and think the city is missing out by not having that employment nearer to downtown. Much like Phoenix and the lack of PetSmart, Coldstone, etc. - they aren't premier companies, but a midrise district with GoDaddy (and the other "innovation, science, and tech" firms at the research park), Rio Salado College, Western International, and University of Phoenix presence would definitely be a catalyst for diversifying/filling out downtown's retail and residential scene. I don't know if the WIU building is for class space or just admin, but in this town, U of P jobs and the like are really one of the limited options for college graduates who want to stay in the area.

Keeping ASU grads downtown by adding to the employment options, adding a community college with an older demographic profile, and developing a midrise commercial district adjacent to downtown that wasn't lakeside (and, therefore, more affordable) could've solved quite a few of Tempe's missing links: graduate retention, mid-level employment, lack of diversity/people over 22, and would be a catalyst for urban residential options that cater toward families/workers (affordable), service retail in the core that's missing (libraries, grocery, home decor/hardware), and hopefully denser/higher development in downtown itself.

That's more of a "wish list" post - no city in the country prevents employment development from occurring throughout its limits. For Tempe, though, I just find it strange that it's satellite office parks have taller clusters of buildings than it's downtown. I just really see it as a lost opportunity, because there feels like there's an invisible barrier between the college/urban scene on Mill and the corporate/white-washed/stepford lake district. Maybe HFL3 will help by creating a physical connection, or Marina Heights since I think the SF jobs aren't as white collar as the KPMG/Microsoft/etc. at HFL (correct me if I'm wrong). Or, a Rio/Ash high rise, along with USA Place, directly downtown.

And, since I can't keep a post to even 3 paragraphs it seems, I'm not sure where such a midrise district would have developed anyway that provided the freeway visibility these companies desire, without intense land prices and within an area that would allow urban designed buildings.
1. Rio Salado (north and south), west of the bridges (freeway visibility/adjacent to downtown) with lower density spilling onto Farmer maybe, though the bridges are kind of a barrier to the walkable part of Tempe.
2. Greater intensity of development at Papago Park Center/the former Cardinals land/Lofts at Rio (freeway visibility + transit/amenities).
3. Lastly, if ASU were contained from overtaking most the prime land in the city, Rural-McClintock, Uni-Rio would be an option with freeway visibility and access to amenities/walkable on the west end.

Back to real news....

CrestedSaguaro May 8, 2014 11:29 PM

Quote:

I believe the Priest side is the apartment complex that was announced in January, the Residences at Fountainhead complex. Not sure what is on the curve, but I noticed that as well. Here's a link to the apartments...

http://www.tiltondevelopment.com/project-fountainhead

DevilsRider May 10, 2014 11:56 PM

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7358/...04b0a873_c.jpg

University House Phase 2 has a crane up!

PHXFlyer11 May 11, 2014 4:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DevilsRider (Post 6572913)
https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7358/...04b0a873_c.jpg

University House Phase 2 has a crane up!

Nice! I imagine it'll be just a few weeks before we have a tower crane at HFL3 as well.

Any movement on USAplace? This is getting scary... They closed down the Chili's months ago and still no movement as of three weeks ago when I was down there last.

Hanover seemed to be building without a tower crane, which is kinda strange... Unless one has popped up recently.

CrestedSaguaro May 11, 2014 7:53 PM

Quote:

Dug into this a little further. The section next to I-10 is work on the parking garage. Apparently, there is a lane addition scheduled in the future and ADOT used public domain for the lane addition, forcing half of the current garage to be removed and the need for a level addition. I haven't heard of a lane addition in that section of I-10 until now. Anyone know more about that?

https://www.honestbuildings.com/proj...n-and-addition

PhxER May 11, 2014 11:29 PM

^^^^^^^^

There were studies to widen the 1-10 between US-60 and I-17 to 24 lanes (10 lanes and 2 HOV lanes in each direction). But they are from 2007.

exit2lef May 12, 2014 1:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RonnieFoos (Post 6573445)
Dug into this a little further. The section next to I-10 is work on the parking garage. Apparently, there is a lane addition scheduled in the future and ADOT used public domain for the lane addition, forcing half of the current garage to be removed and the need for a level addition. I haven't heard of a lane addition in that section of I-10 until now. Anyone know more about that?

The same thing has occurred at another office building along I-10 near the junction with 143. Its garage, which was the part of the office complex closest to the freeway, was demolished and will be rebuilt over an existing surface parking lot. ADOT has a plan for massive widening of I-10 and is acquiring land in preparation for it.

Freeway May 12, 2014 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RonnieFoos (Post 6573445)

https://www.honestbuildings.com/proj...n-and-addition

The plan to widen the 10 to 24 lanes in each direction ended several years ago. The Design Concept Report/Environmental Impact Statement for the project were suspended, which essentially ends any prospect for the project to move forward. MAG determined from traffic studies that the construction of the South Mountain Freeway (still on track to begin construction as soon as next year) eliminates the need for freeway capacity improvements on that scale. Right of Way acquisition for freeway widening is programmed in the Transportation Improvement Plan for the 10 between 32nd St and the 202 Santan Freeway, but actual widening isn't currently programmed to take place until 2024. This could very well just be part of the ROW acquisition needed for future capacity improvements.

CrestedSaguaro May 12, 2014 8:20 PM

4th tower crane going up at State Farm. Tempe is getting ready to look insane!!

:koko: :cheers: :worship:

phoenixwillrise May 12, 2014 9:36 PM

4th Crane?

Quote:

Originally Posted by RonnieFoos (Post 6574613)
4th tower crane going up at State Farm. Tempe is getting ready to look insane!!

:koko: :cheers: :worship:

Not sure where you see that I am looking at the live feed and I don't see a fourth crane.
http://oxblue.com/open/ryancompanies/marinaheights

CrestedSaguaro May 12, 2014 9:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by phoenixwillrise (Post 6574734)
Not sure where you see that I am looking at the live feed and I don't see a fourth crane.
http://oxblue.com/open/ryancompanies/marinaheights

I'll get back with you on that. To me, it appears to be the base for a tower crane, but the location is damn odd. Will ride my bike by later for verification.

Obadno May 14, 2014 1:44 AM

Based on the plans I think it is behind the first (tallest as of now) building so you cant see it from the web cam...... yet.

Cant wait to work in there hope I get a good view!

CrestedSaguaro May 14, 2014 6:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Obadno (Post 6576566)
Based on the plans I think it is behind the first (tallest as of now) building so you cant see it from the web cam...... yet.

Cant wait to work in there hope I get a good view!

Actually, the one I was looking at is between the 1st and 2nd cranes really close to the wall towards the lake. Right now, it is just behind the white portable crane. Looks like maybe the base for a smaller tower crane. Maybe I am seeing things? :shrug:

Tito714 May 15, 2014 2:47 AM

Saw some grading and site work being done on the old Cardinals stadium site, but closer to the 202 and priest side of the lot.

Spitfiredude May 15, 2014 3:38 AM

Some random news for developments here:

> Talked to some Hanover construction workers when they were setting up the new crane. Apparently they will not be having a tower crane on site because of its size and money costs. There will be the current small crane, and the large one they just put up Monday. It is massive.

> North EZ project at SDS looks good. It also opens up the view to University House from the freeway and Rio Salado. I think it looks better.

> Encore 2 lot at SE corner of Farmer/5th has put some felt on the fence (about half of it)...may be some sort of progression...

> HFL 3 is moving along at a fast pace. Would expect to see a tower crane there by June.

MegaBass May 15, 2014 11:29 PM

https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.n...83920923_n.jpg

Jim Todd of Todd Photographic aerial shot of SDS North upper deck demo before the pillars removal.

MegaBass May 16, 2014 6:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PHXFlyer11 (Post 6573318)
Any movement on USAplace? This is getting scary... They closed down the Chili's months ago and still no movement as of three weeks ago when I was down there last.

The latest per New Times Chow Bella blog

Quote:

Meanwhile Sacks, on the southwest corner of University and Mill, is being ousted to make way for a mixed-use development project that will include a 30,000-square-foot conference center, a 4,500-seat exhibition arena, a 330-room luxury hotel, a 500-unit apartment complex, and retail and office space.

An official closing date for the restaurant has not been set; delays in the development process have allowed Sacks to continue operating so far. Employees say the restaurant will be open through at least this week, though they're hoping to stay open until the end of May.

Sacks, which has another location at 839 West University Drive (on the southeast corner of University Drive and Hardy Drive), has been open for more than 20 years.
Plus International Students and Scholars Center relocated to Student Services Building and ASU Ceramics Research Center moved to The Brickyard in April.

PHXFlyer11 May 17, 2014 12:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MegaBass (Post 6580984)

Plus International Students and Scholars Center relocated to Student Services Building and ASU Ceramics Research Center moved to The Brickyard in April.

I hope it will move quickly after Sacks is out. Maybe this is a good sign and they stuck it out as long as possible. I think more than any other project this really will be a boon to Downtown Tempe.

It's discouraging it's taken this long, but as soon as we see dirt moving the delay will be all but forgotten!

Jjs5056 May 19, 2014 1:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tito714 (Post 6578496)
Saw some grading and site work being done on the old Cardinals stadium site, but closer to the 202 and priest side of the lot.

Apparently, SRP has been collaborating with the developer of this project (The Grand at Papago) quite a bit with regards to the canal centerpiece they've incorporated into the design; I didn't think this project had any legs, but I can't imagine ruffling SRP's feathers just for the fun of it if they were planning on just sitting on the land/couldn't get financing. And, it sounds like the work you saw would be close to the canal, IIRC.

The heights and this canal design are the only two positives about the project; sucks to throw away a piece of land adjacent to a station and with freeway visibility, etc. with a suburban site plan, but on the other hand, it's a huge lot and if the choice were this or to see it sit vacant for another decade or 2...

Also, glad to hear about Encore 2. Would really like to see that go up. 1) It starts chipping away at the dead zone along Farmer, and 2) this will have ground level retail and I think that'll be a big positive for that area if the right kind of service goes in.

DevilsRider May 19, 2014 4:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jjs5056 (Post 6583425)
Apparently, SRP has been collaborating with the developer of this project (The Grand at Papago) quite a bit with regards to the canal centerpiece they've incorporated into the design; I didn't think this project had any legs, but I can't imagine ruffling SRP's feathers just for the fun of it if they were planning on just sitting on the land/couldn't get financing. And, it sounds like the work you saw would be close to the canal, IIRC.

The heights and this canal design are the only two positives about the project; sucks to throw away a piece of land adjacent to a station and with freeway visibility, etc. with a suburban site plan, but on the other hand, it's a huge lot and if the choice were this or to see it sit vacant for another decade or 2...

Also, glad to hear about Encore 2. Would really like to see that go up. 1) It starts chipping away at the dead zone along Farmer, and 2) this will have ground level retail and I think that'll be a big positive for that area if the right kind of service goes in.

The work being done at The Grand at Papago is the SRP Canal Relocation project. They've got a sign up now on Lakeshore Drive and everything's fenced off. This was a sort of "phase 1" to the project, getting the canal realigned so that SRP (who owns the property, I believe) can sell/develop it the way they want, and maximize the value by providing more land between the canal and the RR tracks. So while the rest of the development is probably years away still, the canal will be relocated soon.

phoenixwillrise May 19, 2014 5:50 PM

Sacks

Quote:

Originally Posted by MegaBass (Post 6580984)

Don't the mean the southeast corner of University and Mill? CVS is on the southwest corner.

dtnphx May 20, 2014 6:56 PM

GO DADDY FOUNDER GOES BIGGER ON MILL AVENUE . . . $26.5 MILLION FOR OFFICE-RETAIL PROJECT

Tempe - GoDaddy.com founder Bob Parsons has added to his collection of trophy properties located along Mill Avenue near Arizona State University in downtown Tempe. In the past eight months, companies formed by Parsons have invested $70.1 million to buy 256,272 sq. ft. of office and retail buildings located along the popular Mill Avenue on the western edge of the ASU campus. In a sale that recorded on Thursday, Mill Avenue Office LLC (Parsons’ entity) paid $26.5 million ($246.49 per foot) to purchase 107,508 sq. ft. of office and retail space. The five-building complex, called Hayden Station, is at the southwest corner of Mill Avenue and 3rd Street. The seller was Holualoa Hayden Square LLC, an entity formed by Holualoa Arizona Inc. in Tucson (Mike Kasser, pres.). The transaction was negotiated through Cassidy Turley in Phoenix. The agents involved in the deal include Steve Lindley, Bob Buckley, Tracy Cartledge, Jeff Hartland, Scott Boardman, Trevor Klinkhamer and Brent Mallonee. The project, which was developed in 1986, is just under 98 percent occupied. Ten years ago, BREW reported the Holualoa company paying $16.6 million ($154.41 per foot) to buy the project, which was then known as Hayden Square. Here is a description and address of each structure: 2-story, 9,548 sq. ft. at 310 S. Mill Avenue, 2-story, 9,544 sq. ft. at 350 S. Mill Avenue, 2-story, 5,642 sq. ft. at 404 S. Mill Avenue, 2-story, 8,467 sq. ft. at 410 S. Mill Avenue and 5-story, 74,307 sq. ft. at 51 W. 3rd Street. Hayden Station is a few blocks north of other properties companies formed by Parsons previously acquired along both sides of Mill Avenue and north of University Drive. Last October, BREW reported Parsons starting the trio of Tempe property acquisitions with the $38.35 million purchase ($301.90 per foot) of the 127,027-square-foot Centerpoint on Mill retail-office project. The 6.19-acre development is along the west side of Mill Avenue and north of University Drive. That project, which includes roughly 20,000 sq. ft of office space, is anchored by AMC Theaters. There are also a host of restaurants, including P.F. Chang's China Bistro. In January of this year, BREW reported another company formed by Parsons paying $5.25 million ($241.03 per foot) to buy a 21,737-square-foot office project near the northeast corner of Mill Avenue and University Drive. The three-story project, called Tempe Towne Centre, is at 20 E. University Drive. With a net worth of $1.9 billion as of September 2013, Forbes listed Parsons as No. 296 on the Forbes 400. Since pocketing $930 million in the sale of GoDaddy in 2011, Parsons has been focused on a wide array of business and real estate related investments. In the past two years, BREW has reported the flamboyant and philanthropic Parsons investing $300 + million in buying residential, golf, retail, office, automotive and motorcycle properties in the Valley. Parsons' more notable purchases include the Scottsdale National Golf Club, Harley Davidson of Scottsdale AZ motorcycle dealership, and Martz Agency, a Scottsdale-based public relations firm. Parsons formed Yam Properties LLC, Yam Management LLC and YAM Capital LLC and has been buying income-producing real estate assets in the Valley and is making loans secured by Phoenix area properties. Always the entrepreneur, there appears to be no slowing in Parson's investment appetite. Over the years, BREW has reported companies formed by Holualoa buying and selling numerous properties in the Tucson and Phoenix areas. Aroon Chinai of Holualoa says the company is looking for more investment opportunities in the Tucson and Phoenix markets. The company wants value-added deals and will acquire older assets that may need some refurbishment . . . mix of property types include multi-family, office, industrial and retail. The contact for Parsons on income-producing real estate acquisitions is Dan Dahl . . . reach him at (480) 398-2543. Leela Brennan is also a contact for Parsons . . . (480) 696-4825. Talk to Chinai at (310) 566-3061. Stan Shafer is chief operating officer at Holualoa . . . call him at (480) 829-4969. Kasser is at (520) 615-1094. The Cassidy Turley agents are at (602) 954-9000.

TempeSilverFox May 21, 2014 1:56 PM

I know this is a Tempe blog, but I saw this article this morning and wanted to share. Looks like there is revived talk of building an observation tower in downtown Phoenix! What do you guys think? Do you like it? Do you think it will happen?

I keep wishing the City of Tempe would make good on its idea to relocate the antennas off of A mountain to the top of West 6th - and construct the viewing platform on the summit! I think it would be a great feature and would be even more of a draw. The view has always been great from there!

http://azbex.com/developers-look-to-...tower-project/

Jjs5056 May 21, 2014 9:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DevilsRider (Post 6583642)
The work being done at The Grand at Papago is the SRP Canal Relocation project. They've got a sign up now on Lakeshore Drive and everything's fenced off. This was a sort of "phase 1" to the project, getting the canal realigned so that SRP (who owns the property, I believe) can sell/develop it the way they want, and maximize the value by providing more land between the canal and the RR tracks. So while the rest of the development is probably years away still, the canal will be relocated soon.

I'm not sure the rest is years away, though, given the active talks with SRP. There was no rush for them to realign the canal, was there?

The developer also just received funding from Tempe in January on the premise that they connect the water feature to the lake - assuming via pathways?

Just seems like a lot of small steps are being made that could have otherwise waited until they were ready to build.

Now, I'm sure "Phase I" will be little more than an office building and a garage, but...

Jjs5056 May 21, 2014 9:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TempeSilverFox (Post 6585832)
I know this is a Tempe blog, but I saw this article this morning and wanted to share. Looks like there is revived talk of building an observation tower in downtown Phoenix! What do you guys think? Do you like it? Do you think it will happen?

I keep wishing the City of Tempe would make good on its idea to relocate the antennas off of A mountain to the top of West 6th - and construct the viewing platform on the summit! I think it would be a great feature and would be even more of a draw. The view has always been great from there!

http://azbex.com/developers-look-to-...tower-project/

Fox, I'm gonna post the link and discussion in the Phoenix thread if it hasn't been already; personally, I don't hate the design - I wish it were copper and that the pinwheel portion could resemble a Phoenix a bit more for an abstract visual of a Phoenix rising out of the ashes. I also wish it were the city's tallest structure instead of stopping just short. Regardless of design, though, I would support this venture as the City is in dire need of "must see" /tourist attractions.

As for Tempe Butte, I agree and thought the observation deck was a done deal and approved around 2011? That'd be a great addition to the College/Mill densification and amenity for all the new residents.

ASUSunDevil May 23, 2014 3:46 PM

There has been work going on at the vacant lot just SE of Wilson and 1st. The zoning sign that was posted for a couple of years said it was an Eddie Jones project, hopefully its something good...

Spitfiredude May 24, 2014 6:16 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3WH2NcVNl6U

Anyone seen this yet? Does this mean work has began on the project..?

No tower crane base for HFL3.

Hanover parking garage is precast. They have risen to the top height of garage for a segment. Reaches around the 8th floor of W6.

MegaBass May 24, 2014 3:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spitfiredude (Post 6590454)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3WH2NcVNl6U

Anyone seen this yet? Does this mean work has began on the project..?

No tower crane base for HFL3.

Hanover parking garage is precast. They have risen to the top height of garage for a segment. Reaches around the 8th floor of W6.

Per City of Tempe site

Quote:

The new dam is on schedule to be operational by December 28, 2015 with work on the dam and associated projects beginning on June 4.

Spitfiredude May 29, 2014 11:34 PM

Don't quote me on this...but I believe they may be placing the power lines along Rio Salado underground. Crews have been working from the power plant to Rural Road. They are trenching directly to the power plant..

MegaBass May 29, 2014 11:57 PM

ASU Sun Devil Stadium North End Zone Demolition Timelapse (YouTube)

Per Chris Karpman of ASUDevils.com

Quote:

ASU is spending six figures to overhaul Phoenix Municipal on branding, academic area and video board. Baseball may play there for fall ball

ASU will maintain Karsten clubhouse/practice area. Team will play at Papago. Karsten course will be developed as part of Stadium District.

Vice President of Athletics Ray Anderson said ASU will announce the architect and builder for its Sun Devil Stadium project in the next few weeks. Donation goals will be exceeded.

Anderson said there will certainly be a naming rights deal for the stadium.

Anderson said ASU isn't prepared to announce current fundraising status but is very confident they'll more than accomplish their goals

Anderson said WFA is a decent arena but not "elite or top of class" and he's open to remodel or complete tear down/rebuild in coming years.

TempeSilverFox May 30, 2014 12:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spitfiredude (Post 6598187)
Don't quote me on this...but I believe they may be placing the power lines along Rio Salado underground. Crews have been working from the power plant to Rural Road. They are trenching directly to the power plant..

This would be so nice. I wish they would underground them all around the lake and in Papago Park as well.
While they are a vital piece of infrastructure, they are hideous.

cygnusloop99 May 30, 2014 2:23 AM

That would be incredible if they burried those lines.

Driving home I saw they have started to install the facade on one of the Marina Heights towers.

Spitfiredude May 30, 2014 3:02 PM

The facade for marina heights is being installed as said before, but damn I must say it looks beautiful. Before going to work I took some pictures with my phone of Marina Heights and Hanover. Also, it looks like still no base for a tower crane on HFL3, but site work is progressing. There is a regular crane that is above 100' on State Farm site too. Might but for installation of another tower crane (its far east too). The first building at State Farm looks to be almost topped off. It is a 10 story building.

Also, update on that power line project. I am almost certain it is power lines. They have trenched across Rural Road now toward Packard Drive and are still working on portions between McClintock and Rural. It is coming out of the power plant and is a pack of 8 different pipes (about 8" diameter) they're putting underground. Drove by and saw them installing them last night. I don't know what else it could be.

As far as Hanover goes, they're hauling on that parking garage. It has been 2 weeks and I would say they are about 15% complete with it. At the rate they're going, they have the potential to be finished with the garage alone by late August or September. They may be working to finish the garage first and start using it prior to the completion of the apartments. It would make sense, especially since garages are much faster to build.

Anyway here are some pictures...

HANOVER:

https://scontent-b-dfw.xx.fbcdn.net/...06323115_n.jpg

https://scontent-b-dfw.xx.fbcdn.net/...76790072_n.jpg

https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.n...24055830_n.jpg

https://scontent-b-dfw.xx.fbcdn.net/...06323115_n.jpg

https://scontent-b-dfw.xx.fbcdn.net/...34695421_n.jpg

STATE FARM GLASS & PROGRESS FROM A DIFFERENT ANGLE:

https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.n...95083391_n.jpg

https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.n...01857800_n.jpg

Leo the Dog May 30, 2014 3:12 PM

Awesome update!

Looks like the red crane is coming into your apartment!

DevilsRider May 30, 2014 3:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spitfiredude (Post 6598939)
Also, update on that power line project. I am almost certain it is power lines. They have trenched across Rural Road now toward Packard Drive and are still working on portions between McClintock and Rural. It is coming out of the power plant and is a pack of 8 different pipes (about 8" diameter) they're putting underground. Drove by and saw them installing them last night. I don't know what else it could be.

From City of Tempe Street Closures and Restrictions:

Quote:

Rural Road at Rio Salado Parkway is restricted to one lane in each direction nightly from 9 p.m. to 5 a.m. until June 2 to allow for APS work.
This would be a fantastic start. As for those on the north side, I wonder if, long term, they could use Curry and Miller/Playa Del Norte as corridors for undergrounding the overheads that currently run south of the 202 and north of the lake, at least as far west as Mill/the Marquee property. That might not pan out in the cost/benefit ratio aspect, as there's not really any new development the poles could interfere with (unlike with ASU's Stadium District), but I would love to see that happen.

dtnphx May 30, 2014 3:24 PM

Tempe's transit center poised for business

http://www.azcentral.com/story/news/...iness/9719417/