SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Buildings & Architecture (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=397)
-   -   CHICAGO | AON center | 1,136 FT / 346 M | 83 FLOORS | 1973 (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=154966)

JMO_0121 Jul 30, 2008 12:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by America 117 (Post 3702488)
because chicago has so many tall ones unlike other citys where there average building is about 20 floors.
in chicago 100 floors is the average!!

I wouldn't go as far as saying that 100 floors is the average. Right now we only have 2 out of like 1,047 or something like that. :cheers:

America 117 Jul 30, 2008 12:55 AM

but soon we will have more.

Apex Jul 30, 2008 2:26 AM

Anybody got any pictures of this beaut in her original marble cladding?

SNT1 Jul 30, 2008 3:17 AM

A 'good' supertall I'd say, I like simplicity, but still I feel this tower may be overrated on this forum. But it was a surprise tower too, for me, since everywhere else this tower then feels a bit underrated. I first came to Chicago knowing about JHC and Sears then I see this.... and I'm like "wth, what is this? It's even taller than JHC!"

charmedone Jul 30, 2008 9:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by America 117 (Post 3702488)
because chicago has so many tall ones unlike other citys where there average building is about 20 floors.
in chicago 100 floors is the average!!

um theres also new york well 1000+ ft is the norm for ny but not 100 floors

MiamiSpartan Jul 30, 2008 11:24 AM

It was never one of my favorite buildings when I was growing up there, even though I remember when it was being built...
Now, tho, when I look at the pictures, I have a new appreciation for its simplicity, and how it anchors the central portion of the skyline...

Biff Jul 30, 2008 3:16 PM

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3016/...c97d1551_b.jpg

On my recent trip to Chicago i loved how, as many have mentioned here previously, the verticality and lines of AON but i also loved how it changed as dusk fell to hide the strong white vertical lines and exchange them for the endless horizontal lines of its 100 floors lit up at night. It almost seemed like a different building to me. Night or day i love its strength and height.

America 117 Jul 30, 2008 6:26 PM

http://i.pbase.com/o4/55/634555/1/55511881.Chicago5.jpg
Here is a pic i got from: http://www.pbase.com/tianphoto/image/55511881

I think Aon center has the best lighting in chicago!

wrab Jul 30, 2008 7:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apex (Post 3702695)
Anybody got any pictures of this beaut in her original marble cladding?

I don't, but I remember the original marble as being both warmer & somewhat glossier, almost like terra cotta.

Amanita Jul 30, 2008 9:50 PM

I've always had a soft spot for this beautiful white monolith. Her white skin's a lovely contrast to the black of the other two giants in town. I wonder how the granite would have looked if they had decided to polish it?
Anyone got pics of the inside of this tower, or can get any? Apparently she also has a lovely courtyard.

Funny thing is, I'm working on a story about the "skin graft" Aon got, told from her perspective. Suffice to say, she didn't enjoy it much at all. Hurt like hell, anyone?

davefyvie Jul 30, 2008 10:14 PM

Rumour has it that during the construction, the wife of Amoco's CEO, Bonnie something-or-other, insisted that the building be clad in expensive marble imported from Italy at great expense. It did look beautiful in it's day..

According to Wikkipedia the marble was ground up and now lines the grounds of one of Amoco's oil refineries. :haha:

America 117 Jul 31, 2008 2:26 AM

^^^
about the marble...
well thats what i said in the first post.

davefyvie Jul 31, 2008 4:20 PM

Right you are

Tom In Chicago Jul 31, 2008 4:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davefyvie (Post 3704468)
According to Wikkipedia the marble was ground up and now lines the grounds of one of Amoco's oil refineries. :haha:

Right. . . and they likely got that tid-bit from Emporis. . . I posted it there years back when a friend of mine who worked for BP told me about the "Whiting Beutification Project" where they took all the marble removed from the then Amoco Building and used it in landscaping at the Whiting refinery. . .

. . .

Steely Dan Jul 31, 2008 4:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wrabbit (Post 3704156)
I don't, but I remember the original marble as being both warmer & somewhat glossier, almost like terra cotta.

i don't remember the marble being warmer, that italian marble was dead cold white, much colder and whiter than the replacement granite, but it definitely had a sheen that made the tower gleam in the sunlight. the granite does not produce such an effect.

BVictor1 Jul 31, 2008 5:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steely Dan (Post 3706188)
i don't remember the marble being warmer, that italian marble was dead cold white, much colder and whiter than the replacement granite, but it definitely had a sheen that made the tower gleam in the sunlight. the granite does not produce such an effect.

I wish I had seen that.

Does anyone have any photos of the tower with it's original cladding?

Apex Aug 1, 2008 12:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BVictor1 (Post 3706359)
Does anyone have any photos of the tower with it's original cladding?

That's what I asked a couple days ago!! :haha:

STERNyc Aug 1, 2008 12:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom In Chicago (Post 3706131)
Right. . . and they likely got that tid-bit from Emporis. . . I posted it there years back when a friend of mine who worked for BP told me about the "Whiting Beutification Project" where they took all the marble removed from the then Amoco Building and used it in landscaping at the Whiting refinery. . .

. . .

Tom. Do you have any renderings of the original AON WTB proposal?

davefyvie Aug 1, 2008 3:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom In Chicago (Post 3706131)

. . .

Now that's really funny!

Oaxaca_One Aug 1, 2008 3:53 AM

This has always been one of my favorites in Chicago. I love the long, vertical lines that stretch from the bottom to the top, and I also love the white facade in broad daylight.

And this building is stunning from Millennium Park at night.

My favorite building in the traditional Adler Planetarium postcard-shot.