SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Completed Project Threads Archive (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=348)
-   -   NEW YORK | Central Park Tower (Nordstrom)| 1,550 FT | 131 FLOORS (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=191095)

WIGGLEWORTH Feb 17, 2016 4:35 PM

This must be the slowest rising tower in existence.

Crawford Feb 17, 2016 4:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WIGGLEWORTH (Post 7338593)

Not really. The first seven levels are a department store, and those levels take considerable time.

Overall, this construction schedule seems pretty typical for a building of this size/complexity.

Vortex11 Feb 17, 2016 5:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crawford (Post 7338640)
Not really. The first seven levels are a department store, and those levels take considerable time.

Overall, this construction schedule seems pretty typical for a building of this size/complexity.

Do you think construction pace should pick up dramatically once they finish with the store levels and move on solely to the tower?

Crawford Feb 17, 2016 5:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vortex11 (Post 7338663)
Do you think construction pace should pick up dramatically once they finish with the store levels and move on solely to the tower?

Yes. The retail base will go much slower than the residential levels. Standard residential floors are a relative breeze.

one4all Feb 17, 2016 6:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crawford (Post 7338700)
Yes. The retail base will go much slower than the residential levels. Standard residential floors are a relative breeze.

Well, there's also the issue of the cantilever. That'll probably slow things down again before getting into the tower proper.

Vortex11 Feb 17, 2016 7:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by one4all (Post 7338776)
Well, there's also the issue of the cantilever. That'll probably slow things down again before getting into the tower proper.

How high up is the cantilever going?

ILNY Feb 17, 2016 7:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WIGGLEWORTH (Post 7338593)

Yes, it will compete for the title with 56 Leonard St and 1 WTC.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crawford (Post 7338640)

Department store will take more time to build but it should not be that slow. This is not a complex design, Hudson Yards mall is complex... and yet they build the whole mall (structure) faster than few floors of this store.

Crawford Feb 17, 2016 7:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ILNY (Post 7338863)
Yes, it will compete for the title with 56 Leonard St and 1 WTC.

Department store will take more time to build but it should not be that slow. This is not a complex design, Hudson Yards mall is complex... and yet they build the whole mall faster than few floors of this store.

The Hudson Yards mall is a much simpler design. It just has a typical mall layout. And it isn't being built particularly quickly.

The Nordstrom flagship isn't standard anything, and per the construction schedule, was always going to take longer than the HY retail.

1 WTC was built pretty quickly. 56 Leonard has nothing to do with 1 WTC, 225 W. 57, or Hudson Yards. It's a uniquely complex design, and the contractor was replaced mid-construction, so there was a long delay when nothing was happening.

Vortex11 Feb 17, 2016 7:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crawford (Post 7338880)
The Hudson Yards mall is a much simpler design. It just has a typical mall layout. And it isn't being built particularly quickly.

The Nordstrom flagship isn't standard anything, and per the construction schedule, was always going to take longer than the HY retail.

1 WTC was built pretty quickly. 56 Leonard has nothing to do with 1 WTC, 225 W. 57, or Hudson Yards. It's a uniquely complex design, and the contractor was replaced mid-construction, so there was a long delay when nothing was happening.

One thing that fascinates me is that there is no website yet for this building. I'm excited to see just how they promote it, after all this will be the tallest building in the city (roof height) by 200 feet.

chris08876 Feb 17, 2016 7:20 PM

Its going to be a nice 3 year wait until this is finished, which will be in 2019.

Lets not forget that 432 Park has taken 3 years to finish and that tower looked like it sprung up really fast. (Still some minor base work but its essentially finished). This tower will be no different.

Granted if this was 1931, and we built at the speed of the ESB, it would be finished in a year or so, but we also have regulations and safety concerns.

But I wouldn't worry, once the base is finished, this will shoot up like expensive bamboo in terms of super tall speeds.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vortex11 (Post 7338905)
One thing that fascinates me is that there is no website yet for this building. I'm excited to see just how they promote it, after all this will be the tallest building in the city (roof height) by 200 feet.

Yeah kinda makes us all wish that these developers where in China, where when they release a 600m, its in your face, in glorious high resolution. But, its the way of Barnett. Different style of approaching the public. Also for PR concerns as well.

I'd say Tower Verre eclipses Nordstrom in terms of speed from conception to steel.

Vortex11 Feb 17, 2016 7:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chris08876 (Post 7338908)

Yeah kinda makes us all wish that these developers where in China, where when they release a 600m, its in your face, in glorious high resolution. But, its the way of Barnett. Different style of approaching the public. Also for PR concerns as well.

I'd say Tower Verre eclipses Nordstrom in terms of speed from conception to steel.

It just doesn't have that officialness to it until a promotional website is up. Nonetheless, this is clearly happening! Although it's scheduled to open in 2019, do you guys think this will top out in 2018?

ILNY Feb 17, 2016 7:44 PM

Quote:

The Hudson Yards mall is a much simpler design.

Hudson Yards mall is constructed entirely on pillars over multiple live train tracks and part of it is structurally incorporated into supertall tower. If you think this is simple design I have no more comments.

Quote:

1 WTC was built pretty quickly.

Foundation work started in 2007 and the tower topped out in 2013 which makes it 6 years.

Quote:

Correct, there were some issues and delays for both 1 WTC and 56 Leonard and I am not negating them. My point is, 1 WTC and 56 Leonard are the slowest constructed towers in the City and CPT will most likely join them.

I get a feeling you must be bored and just want to argue for the sake of it.

chris08876 Feb 17, 2016 7:46 PM

I'd say so. 3 floors a month if they go slow, and it will still top out by late 2018. But it should move quicker then that. Its interiors that will probably push it an extra year, kinda like 432.

one4all Feb 17, 2016 8:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vortex11 (Post 7338859)
How high up is the cantilever going?

Cantilever is about 300' up, juts out 30' to the East. They're currently at about 150' up, so expect the cantilever later this year.

CCs77 Feb 17, 2016 8:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RobEss (Post 7332937)
Is that a blank wall I spy? I'm worried the entire area beneath the cantilever and the Art Student's League will be completely devoid of windows.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ILNY (Post 7332963)
Not even that, looks like it will be just concrete, no glass ?. I am surprised they could not come up with better transition from store to the tower.

I don't think it will be exposed concrete but it will have some sort of cladding, as seen for the lines in the wall, but still a huge blank wall indeed...

That I think is unforgivable, because they know the Students League building will remain, it is landmarked, they bought air rights from it and even they are building a cantilever above it. They should've made the design more suited to that, if it were a random building that could be demolished in the future, nobody can blame them for doing the blank wall, but that is not the case here.

They could at least make a small setback at about the height of the Students League cornice, not more than 2 meters retracted, where they can put maybe the same ondulating facade, so they don't have a just a blank wall, improving the view from the street. I made a rough photoshop of that. They can do many other things, but they should not left just an ugly blank wall there.

The blank wall of the tower is less visible from the street, there they can use a high quality clading, ideally, some terracota material, ala Steinway.

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e9...psfsm2o9bn.jpg

Quote:

Originally Posted by chris08876 (Post 7338977)
I'd say so. 3 floors a month if they go slow, and it will still top out by late 2018. But it should move quicker then that. Its interiors that will probably push it an extra year, kinda like 432.

I think it will top out by late 2017 or early 2018.

punchydj Feb 18, 2016 9:20 AM

Hi guys!

There is the progress during the month of January.

Video Link

Thank you!!!

NYguy Feb 19, 2016 3:35 PM

http://therealdeal.com/2016/02/18/po...re-disgusting/

“Power Broker” author Robert Caro on Billionaires’ Row: “These buildings are disgusting”
He worries about New York's future

Feb 18, 2016

http://therealdeal.com/wp-content/up...naires-row.jpg

Quote:

“You know, these buildings are disgusting,” said “Power Broker” author Robert Caro, looking out from his Columbus Circle office during a recent interview with Gothamist. “No one seems to speak out against them,” he said. “You wonder what New York is going to become.”

Full piece...
http://gothamist.com/2016/02/17/robe..._interview.php

UrbanImpact Feb 19, 2016 5:16 PM

I don't get what the difference is between mansions scattered all over the place or concentrated into one building? :shrug:

antinimby Feb 19, 2016 5:37 PM

The Read Deal just trying to get internet clicks with that headline. I went through that Gothamist article and he doesn't talk about Billionaire's Row.

NYguy Feb 19, 2016 8:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by antinimby (Post 7341663)
The Read Deal just trying to get internet clicks with that headline. I went through that Gothamist article and he doesn't talk about Billionaire's Row.

Paragraphs 4 and 5.