SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=223)
-   -   [Dartmouth] Lotus Point Living | 25 m | 7 fl | Completed (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=194213)

Haligonian88 Dec 7, 2011 10:28 PM

I heard from the developer this afternoon that they are in the development process with HRM and hope to begin construction late 2012. The website should be back up tomorrow, with new pictures online 'soon.'

ZET Dec 8, 2011 12:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Haligonian88 (Post 5508443)
I heard from the developer this afternoon that they are in the development process with HRM and hope to begin construction late 2012. The website should be back up tomorrow, with new pictures online 'soon.'

good news, I live a block away.

Dmajackson Aug 14, 2012 5:38 PM

Luxury apartment building planned for downtown Dartmouth
August 13, 2012 - 6:29pm BY REMO ZACCAGNA BUSINESS REPORTER

Quote:

A $10-million luxury apartment building is being proposed for downtown Dartmouth.

Boris Holdings Inc. is looking to build Lotus Point Living, a seven-storey, 50-unit luxury building at 103 Ochterloney St., at the corner of Victoria Road.

The company bought several properties at that location three years ago and promptly demolished the structures there, with the exception of a heritage home.

The building itself, designed by Michael Napier Architecture, would feature lots of windows and glass and offer a different look to the neighbourhood, he said.

A public information meeting on the project has been set for 7 p.m. on Aug. 30 in the Helen Creighton Room at the Alderney Gate Public Library at 60 Alderney Dr.

(rzaccagna@herald.ca)
Read More Here @ thechronicleherald.ca

Jstaleness Aug 30, 2012 11:53 PM

Did anyone go to the meeting tonight? From what I have heard so far is that most locals seem to be OK with this one.

Nifta Aug 31, 2012 10:40 AM

I just heard a report on CBC radio 1. It was just a bunch of people moaning about the terrible impact on traffic that it will have. It was definitely a negative report. Annoying!

Keith P. Aug 31, 2012 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nifta (Post 5816308)
I just heard a report on CBC radio 1. It was just a bunch of people moaning about the terrible impact on traffic that it will have. It was definitely a negative report. Annoying!

Ah, the "Friends of Empty Weed-filled Lots" must have been in attendance. ;)

JET Aug 31, 2012 1:05 PM

the proposed building will be MUCH better than what was there before, and what is there now. Traffic on that street is not bad, and this shouldn't make any significant difference, except the neighborhood will continue to look better

halifaxboyns Aug 31, 2012 5:33 PM

I find that whenever I do meetings like that, I am forced to challenge people on their perceptions. I'm dealing with an application right now and the traffic impact assessments I've seen show that typically of the total # of people that live in a building like this only between 60-80% own a vehicle. Plus, the vehicle capacity of these roads can handle far more than what it's doing now - people just focus on traffic times.

I would simply challenge those assumptions and ask for proof. Where is the evidence?

someone123 Aug 31, 2012 6:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by halifaxboyns (Post 5816567)
I would simply challenge those assumptions and ask for proof. Where is the evidence?

From the perspective of the media these are easy stories -- all you have to do is find people who want to complain and they'll fill up air time or pages for you. Unlike planners, journalists don't necessarily have to worry about whether the complaining is constructive.

I've stopped worrying about this stuff for the most part since it has very little impact on new development.

Dmajackson Sep 21, 2012 8:57 PM

http://www.lotuspointliving.com/imag...ney--front.jpg

http://www.lotuspointliving.com/imag...looking-NE.jpg

Credit: Lotuspointliving.com

cormiermax Sep 21, 2012 9:23 PM

I love it.

Dmajackson Aug 23, 2013 9:00 PM

This is still going through the approval process.

The next step is a recommendation from the Heritage Advisory Committee next Wednesday (August 28th, 2013).

Proposed Development Agreement

Dmajackson Oct 7, 2013 6:06 PM

The public hearing will be held by Harbour East-Marine Drive Community Council on Thursday, November 14, 2013, at 6:00 p.m. at Dartmouth Chamber, 90 Alderney Drive, Dartmouth. All oral and written submissions will be considered at that time

Dmajackson Nov 8, 2013 6:23 AM

^Bumping the public hearing reminder for next week (November 14th, 2013). This will also be streamed live. :)

JET Nov 8, 2013 3:07 PM

I don't think this was posted:
http://condonova.ca/blog/hrm-committ...rtmouth-condos

Drybrain Nov 8, 2013 3:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JET (Post 6331843)

That's...stupid.

JET Nov 8, 2013 5:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drybrain (Post 6331851)
That's...stupid.

It is also interesting that the owner of the heritage property supports the development, they perhaps are influenced by receiving benefit from the developer.

Drybrain Nov 8, 2013 6:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JET (Post 6332129)
It is also interesting that the owner of the heritage property supports the development, they perhaps are influenced by receiving benefit from the developer.

I don't really get the "it's not too big generally speaking, but it's too big next to this smaller building" argument.

I mean, in certain contexts, yes: That awful Shannex building that almost entirely obscures the All Saints Cathedral off University Avenue, for example. It would've been nice to see the heritage advisory folks exert MORE muscle there--it's a beautiful cathedral, and it's basically entirely hidden by the junky Shannex building.

But in this case, that's not at all an issue. The heritage house will be just as visible from the street, so...who cares?

mcmcclassic Nov 8, 2013 6:16 PM

I live 2 blocks from this site and a development is desperately needed here. This end of the downtown has been a real drag on the completeness feeling. Something good here will connect the new developments with the existing downtown quite well in my opinion.

FuzzyWuz Nov 9, 2013 1:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JET (Post 6331843)

“there’s nothing else of this density or size in the area.”

Except, oh,...RIGHT ACROSS THE STREET!