SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   City Compilations (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=87)
-   -   SAN DIEGO | Boom Rundown, Vol. 2 (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=126473)

SDDTProspector Feb 2, 2010 6:42 PM

The downtown library is a go!!!

Turner construction has got the contract to build the downtown library, they currently looking for partners to sub-contrator now.... My buddy's company has just just received the offer today to bid.....

Expect to hear more news soon!!!

Derek Feb 2, 2010 6:45 PM

Hopefully we hear more good news like that. I've always loved the new library. :)

HurricaneHugo Feb 3, 2010 6:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SDDTProspector (Post 4678754)
Turner construction has got the contract to build the downtown library, they currently looking for partners to sub-contrator now.... My buddy's company has just just received the offer today to bid.....

Nice!

eburress Feb 3, 2010 5:35 PM

Wow - that would be big news if something were to happen there! Maybe they'll eventually revive Library Tower as well! hahaha

Derek Feb 4, 2010 3:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eburress (Post 4680141)
Wow - that would be big news if something were to happen there! Maybe they'll eventually revive Library Tower as well! hahaha

I'll believe it when I see it... :P

SDCAL Feb 4, 2010 5:53 AM

That is truly fantastic news!! (the library).

tdavis Feb 4, 2010 7:14 AM

CA HSR Public Comment Hearing

FYI - Thursday morning (02/04) California High-speed rail is holding a public hearing for anyone wishing to speak out regarding on the proposed rail lines.

Save Rose Canyon is going to be present to press for the change to I-15 (no longer through UTC, airport, downtown).

I'll be there to ask CA HSR to keep the preferred route as it is.

SANDAG
401 B Street (downtown)
9 AM

kpexpress Feb 4, 2010 8:50 AM

Budget and Finance subcommittee meeting tomorrow night. We're going to prioritize the projects to make sure the most important (debatable) gets funded first and foremost. Should be interesting. Here's a preview of the list: (in no particular order)

Neighborhood Issues:
Utility Box Removal from sidewalks
Neighborhood Design Guidelines
214 signalized intersections
128 Mid Block street lights
866 ADA ramps and sidewalks
416 corner trash receptacles in neighborhood centers
48 bike racks in neighborhood centers
master bike plan and bike racks

Park Issues:
north embarcadero visionary plan
park maintenance program
park procurement
park construction
green bridge (wide sidewalks) at park blvd for peds and bikes
plant 10,000 trees by 2030

Transportation and Transit issues:
C street realignment and improvements
way finding sign construction
way finding maintenance plan
MTS coordination
MTS capital improvements (stations, circulation, etc.)
I-5 corridor study
freeway lids over I-5 North side
elimination of off ramp/reopening of cedar to two way traffic and peds
Freeway lids over I-5 East Side
Relocate Bus yard and reopen 15 street
open B street to peds and trans
Parking, remote/offsite/shared

Plans/Programs and Stand Alone Studies
Airport overlay development guidelines
School development plan
community facilities plan
health facilities plan
public art plan
business of health/human services facilities outside of downtown
guidelines for "gateway" entrances to downtown

Housing Issues:
procurement rental housing sites
supportive housing
housing for 150%-250% AMI

Capital Projects: (rate each item 1 to 5, 1 being the highest)
New main library
north embarcadero visionary plan
quiet zone
c street realignment
2 new fire stations

Possible New Capital Projects:
North embarcadero visionary plan (phases 2-5)
Convention center expansion
New downtown football stadium

Projects with downtown impacts:
New cruise ship terminal
airport expansion
new civic center

Feel free to share your thoughts on what should be a priority in your opinion.

ShekelPop Feb 4, 2010 7:11 PM

Some news out of chula vista from yesterday's UT:

Quote:

CHULA VISTA — After nearly eight years of planning, negotiating and waiting, the Pacifica Cos. received a key approval yesterday from the San Diego Unified Port District to move ahead with a land swap needed for a hotel and residential development on Chula Vista’s beleaguered bayfront.

The Port District’s board of commissioners voted 5-1 in support of allowing the company to swap 97 acres it owns on the northern end of the bayfront near the Chula Vista Nature Center for the Port District’s 35 acres just east of the marina.

Pacifica plans to build a 250-room hotel and a 1,500-unit condominium project on the site.
(Port OKs swap to allow bayfront hotel and condos, By Tanya Sierra, http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/2...el-and-condos/ )

HurricaneHugo Feb 4, 2010 9:21 PM

That land they currently own would be nice for a stadium (if downtown falls through).

dl3000 Feb 4, 2010 11:24 PM

They would get more value out of something else other than though. That said, a stadium would definitely be a draw for the local businesses.

tdavis Feb 5, 2010 6:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kpexpress (Post 4681528)
Budget and Finance subcommittee meeting tomorrow night. We're going to prioritize the projects to make sure the most important (debatable) gets funded first and foremost. Should be interesting. Here's a preview of the list: (in no particular order)

Feel free to share your thoughts on what should be a priority in your opinion.

There are many great projects, but considering our finances we obviously can't touch them all at once.

My personal viewpoint is that we need to work on programs that embrace the waterfront (i.e. Embarcadero Project). These would attract residents to downtown, businesses to San Diego, would bring in additional revenue to the city through waterfront civic events, and would serve as a catalyst for development in the area.

S.DviaPhilly Feb 5, 2010 9:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tdavis (Post 4683185)
There are many great projects, but considering our finances we obviously can't touch them all at once.

My personal viewpoint is that we need to work on programs that embrace the waterfront (i.e. Embarcadero Project). These would attract residents to downtown, businesses to San Diego, would bring in additional revenue to the city through waterfront civic events, and would serve as a catalyst for development in the area.

I completely agree with that statement, the water front is crucial for future development downtown. S.D should focus on what they have, that you cannot get from other cities around the world.

With that being said everything stated above about the waterfront being developed, I strongly agree the chargers stadium would do the same exact thing to East Village area. Have people move downtown, bring development, bring businesses, and bring a shit ton of revenue to the city of S.D

SDfan Feb 5, 2010 10:45 PM

"Airport overlay development guidelines"

I'm curious about this listed item? What does it entail?

staplesla Feb 5, 2010 11:36 PM

I agree

I agree totally with tdavs and SDviaPhilly. San Diego as "America's Finest City" sucks when it comes to embracing it's finest attribute.

bmfarley Feb 6, 2010 8:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tdavis (Post 4681457)
FYI - Thursday morning (02/04) California High-speed rail is holding a public hearing for anyone wishing to speak out regarding on the proposed rail lines.

Save Rose Canyon is going to be present to press for the change to I-15 (no longer through UTC, airport, downtown).

I'll be there to ask CA HSR to keep the preferred route as it is.

SANDAG
401 B Street (downtown)
9 AM

How did the meeting go? I know it was a public meeting; however, was it a formal public hearing intended to recieve comments on the alignment options?

SDDTProspector Feb 6, 2010 10:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SDDTProspector (Post 4678754)

Had a second conversation with my friend and he stated that if all goes well, ground breaking for the D-town library could start in October!!! :cheers:

We shall see!!

tdavis Feb 7, 2010 4:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bmfarley (Post 4685572)
How did the meeting go? I know it was a public meeting; however, was it a formal public hearing intended to recieve comments on the alignment options?

It was a formal public hearing to receive comments. There were many people speaking out on moving the line to the 15. I spoke out to keep the current preferred route the same.

kpexpress Feb 7, 2010 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tdavis (Post 4683185)

Coastal Commission will determine if a building permit can be granted to start construction on Phase 1 of The North Embarcadero Visionary Plan on 2/11 in Oceanside. This project looks so nice and would be a start in the right direction to embracing the waterfront.

Derek Feb 7, 2010 4:39 PM

The only "start" that I can "envision" towards a better water front is to get rid of the Navy buildings. What the hell happened to the NBC?????????