SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Southwest (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=643)
-   -   Southwest Coffee Talk (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=173766)

HooverDam Nov 2, 2012 7:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PHX31 (Post 5888381)
Hoover, what is the status of the O.S. Stapley Hardware building? If you gave tours of it, there must be some new developments regarding its sale or restoration. Any news?

Abromovitz Investment Properties own it, which is a father and son operation. They were the ones who years back bought up the building that now houses Cooperstown, fixed it up and got Alice Cooper to move in there.

They're doing a similar restoration to OS Stapley and the smaller single story buildings that are adjacent (just north) of it. Those buildings were built later, in phases, each is about 6K sq feet if memory serves.

Its still very early but it looks like Abromovitz is doing a good job, they've been sandblasting tons of nasty crap off the walls on the insides, exposing the brick and such. If you go look at OS Stapley you'll notice the nasty aluminum siding that was on it, facing Grand Ave, is gone, and the old building face is now revealed. They're going to fix that up and try to match the original as close as they can. That building is actually 3 stories, it has a basement that has basically the same floor plan as the 2 other floors.

No talk yet of a tenant/tenants. Mark Abromovitz was just very general and said "you know creative types, people who love the City, see Lower Grands potential" and such. Personally, I think the 3 story building needs some kind of anchor in it to really become a gateway/destination for Lower Grand.

If all of the buildings become offices for small architecture firms and things like that, I kinda doubt thats the highest possible use. A really cool restaurant, or in my ultimate fantasy world something like Ground Kontrol would be amazing.

PHX31 Nov 2, 2012 8:21 PM

Thanks for the info. I was curious if the metal had come down to reveal the original facade. I didn't know it was under construction/restoration already. Good to hear.

Uhhhhh, if something like Ground Kontrol went in there, I may never leave. I would have to play Galaga until I had the high score. I was addicted to arcades as a youngster. An arcade that had a bar and food, and maybe some live music every once in a while would be the best thing ever.

I went to a similar place in Chicago near Wrigley Field. They had old school indoor batting cages, old school arcade games where you could get tickets and buy trinkets (lamest most expensive ever, though, 8937294872938742 tickets = one plastic pocket harmonica), and old school arcade games (we played a couple locals on the old ice hockey game where you spin the players to hit the tiny puck in the goal). Not to mention a bar. It was so fun.

Don B. Nov 3, 2012 1:46 PM

deleted for lack of interest

--don

Phxguy Nov 5, 2012 3:42 AM

Would just like to thank those who regularly update the Southwest forum or are out in the community making a difference as tomorrow I will be leaving the Valley for many years. I plan on returning without a doubt, but wherever I go it'll be nice to read about all of the changes happening in our city. Cherio!

dtnphx Nov 5, 2012 9:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phxguy (Post 5890781)
Would just like to thank those who regularly update the Southwest forum or are out in the community making a difference as tomorrow I will be leaving the Valley for many years. I plan on returning without a doubt, but wherever I go it'll be nice to read about all of the changes happening in our city. Cherio!

All the best in your new endeavors. We'll keep the forum fresh for you.

Vicelord John Nov 5, 2012 10:00 PM

ok, where are you going and what are you doing.

wtfvaguepostsucks.

Phxguy Nov 5, 2012 11:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vicelord John (Post 5891536)
ok, where are you going and what are you doing.

wtfvaguepostsucks.

I joined the Navy and will be off to Chicago for 2 months.

Vicelord John Nov 5, 2012 11:24 PM

at Navy Pier?

Phxguy Nov 6, 2012 12:26 AM

Close but not as fun and a bit more yelling.

Leo the Dog Nov 6, 2012 1:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phxguy (Post 5891615)
I joined the Navy and will be off to Chicago for 2 months.

I'm sure your Navy career will bring you to SD at sometime.

Good luck to you!

pbenjamin Nov 8, 2012 5:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pbenjamin (Post 5736129)
My wife Susan Benjamin is running for the Phoenix Elementary School District Governing Board. We are gathering signatures to get her on the ballot (need 94). If you live in the district, are a registered voter and are willing to sign the nominating petition, let me know, I'll come to you. We have been walking door to door but it's not a lot of fun in the heat. Boundary map is below. Facebook page is here: https://www.facebook.com/SusanForPhoenixEl

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7090/7...8d7f03cd_z.jpg

Susan was elected to the School Board on Tuesday. Thanks to all who signed the petition.

HooverDam Nov 8, 2012 11:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pbenjamin (Post 5895098)
Susan was elected to the School Board on Tuesday. Thanks to all who signed the petition.

congrats!

nickw252 Nov 10, 2012 1:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pbenjamin (Post 5895098)

Congratulations, I see that of the three winners she got the most votes :cheers:

HooverDam Nov 14, 2012 11:59 PM

Random question:

Does anyone know how the Madison United neighborhood got that name? I mean, I get the Madison part. There's Madison Park on 16th St, Madison school district, etc. But where the heck did the United part come from?

My best thought was maybe it was some kind of block watch/unity/neighborhood fight back kinda thing?

exit2lef Nov 15, 2012 5:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HooverDam (Post 5901865)
Random question:

Does anyone know how the Madison United neighborhood got that name? I mean, I get the Madison part. There's Madison Park on 16th St, Madison school district, etc. But where the heck did the United part come from?

My best thought was maybe it was some kind of block watch/unity/neighborhood fight back kinda thing?

I don't know, but it sounds like a soccer team to me.

Vicelord John Nov 15, 2012 5:35 PM

fight the power

HooverDam Nov 16, 2012 12:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by exit2lef (Post 5902571)
I don't know, but it sounds like a soccer team to me.

I've thought that as well, has that European sports kinda sound for sure.

Don B. Nov 16, 2012 12:54 AM

From Wikipedia (I did not know this about schools here, which came up when I was searching):

In Arizona, union high school districts are districts that contain only high schools. Sometimes the name is derived from the first school opened, which typically has Union in its full name. Examples include the Casa Grande Union High School District (the Union school still uses the full name), the Glendale Union High School District and the Tempe Union High School District. Some special union high school districts—like the Santa Cruz Valley Union High School District— have just one school.

A unified school district (in Arizona, California, and Oregon) or unit school district (in Illinois) is a school district which includes both primary school (kindergarten through middle school or junior high) and high school (grades 9–12) under the same district control. This distinction exists primarily in Illinois and the western U.S. states, where elementary school districts and high school districts are, or were, usually separate. The Los Angeles Unified School District (sometimes called "LA Unified") is a major example of a California unified school district. In Illinois, unit school districts are not to be confused with consolidated or union school districts, which are usually formed by the consolidation of multiple school districts of the same type.

As for the neighborhood, who knows? I did find this site:

http://www.phoenixmarkettrends.com/b...l-phoenix.html

:)

--don

HooverDam Nov 16, 2012 12:57 AM

Right but this is Madison UNITED not Union or Unified. And I don't think the neighborhood boundaries overlap exactly with the school district boundaries, it seems odd.

I just dont really get why they wouldn't have opted to simply call it "Madison", or even "Madison Park" considering that park is nearby, but what do I know.

Also their sign has like a Mom and children on it, which is unique. Most of them have little houses or other physical structures depicted, not people.

Related: I bet I could put my brain to a lot of good use if I didn't fill it with wondering about needless nonsense like this.

HooverDam Nov 16, 2012 5:00 AM

on an unrelated note...

So tonight I was elected the President of the Phoenix Historic Neighborhoods Coalition.

Our next meeting is....well, we don't know. We may or may not have one in December. We'll be updating the website soon, sprucing up the Facebook page, getting on Twitter, etc.

I'll be posting more info down the line I'm sure. I'd invite/encourage you all to get involved with the group, whether you live in a Historic Neighborhood or are just interested in Historic Preservation more generally.