SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Canada (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Canadian Airport Thread (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=153826)

kwoldtimer Nov 14, 2022 9:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thenoflyzone (Post 9790215)
^

Considering the cities listed, and the 2 choices available to India, it's as good as an open skies, really.

Unless we really think AI wants to serve Winnipeg or Halifax one day.

I will say that it's interesting that YEG is listed but not YYC. ultimately though, by giving India 2 extra choices, it doesn't really matter.



Indeed. It's as if bilaterals are only expanded when it suits Air Canada. That's a shame, really. This being said, let's see if AI will take advantage of this as well. With daily service to both YYZ and YVR, they were close to the limit as well under the previous agreement.

Imagine that! :haha:

thenoflyzone Nov 14, 2022 10:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kwoldtimer (Post 9790326)
Imagine that! :haha:

This is sort of good news for a potential tweak to the Canada-U.A.E bilateral. I doubt it will be this generous though.

Canada tends to factor in O&D when signing bilaterals, and the O&D to India is vastly greater than to the U.A.E. Frankly, it was high time Canada got an open skies type agreement with India.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zmonkey (Post 9790269)
No we do not want more PIA.

When it was found out that up to 30% of Pakistani pilots had fake or falsified licenses, the U.S, EU and the UK banned PIA from flying to their countries for a time. Canada never followed suit. I never understood that. If it was up to me, PIA wouldn't be flying to Canada, period.

I know when that plane lands at YYZ, Canadian customs agents are all over it. Keeping a watchful eye as to what is taken off the plane, both above and below deck. That's usually not a good sign either.

casper Nov 14, 2022 10:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kwoldtimer (Post 9790326)
Imagine that! :haha:

That is how the game is played. We have open skies with Europe and the US.

With other countries it is a negotiation where each country is after the best deal for its domestic airlines. India is looking for what is in the best interest of Air India and Canada for what is in the best line of Air Canada. WestJet has little interest in direct service to India.

whatnext Nov 14, 2022 10:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thenoflyzone (Post 9790332)
....When it was found out that up to 30% of Pakistani pilots had fake or falsified licenses, the U.S, EU and the UK banned PIA from flying to their countries for a time. Canada never followed suit. I never understood that. If it was up to me, PIA wouldn't be flying to Canada, period.

I know when that plane lands at YYZ, Canadian customs agents are all over it. Keeping a watchful eye as to what is taken off the plane, both above and below deck. That's usually not a good sign either.

You never understood it? Look no further than the diaspora politicking both major political parties do here. The India agreement is just more of the same.

Dominion301 Nov 15, 2022 3:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thenoflyzone (Post 9790215)
^

Considering the cities listed, and the 2 choices available to India, it's as good as an open skies, really.

Unless we really think AI wants to serve Winnipeg or Halifax one day.

I will say that it's interesting that YEG is listed but not YYC. ultimately though, by giving India 2 extra choices, it doesn't really matter.



Indeed. It's as if bilaterals are only expanded when it suits Air Canada. That's a shame, really. This being said, let's see if AI will take advantage of this as well. With daily service to both YYZ and YVR, they were close to the limit as well under the previous agreement.

True and in the cases of YWG and YHZ if there's ever India service from those places, it would be freighters only, which has open skies, so even a place like YXS could theoretically have cargo ops.

Airboy Nov 16, 2022 4:47 PM

Saw this at the Terrace Airport Yesturday.

Kelowna Flight craft new charter livery. Seem the LNG site has added another flight.

[IMG]https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...1851bd2b_b.jpgPXL_20221115_230849342 by [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos//url], on Flickr[/IMG]

JakeLRS Nov 16, 2022 11:37 PM

Flair delays Lethbridge launch to December 2023 because of... get this... the airport unable to retrieve the proper boarding ramp...

https://calgary.ctvnews.ca/supply-ch...idge-1.6156113

hehehe Nov 17, 2022 12:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JakeLRS (Post 9792427)
Flair delays Lethbridge launch to December 2023 because of... get this... the airport unable to retrieve the proper boarding ramp...

https://calgary.ctvnews.ca/supply-ch...idge-1.6156113

Considering how fast these sort of routes come and go I think it's very likely this never ends up happening

thenoflyzone Nov 18, 2022 12:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JakeLRS (Post 9792427)
Flair delays Lethbridge launch to December 2023 because of... get this... the airport unable to retrieve the proper boarding ramp...

https://calgary.ctvnews.ca/supply-ch...idge-1.6156113

I love it....:haha:

Of all the reasons they could have come up with, they settle on airstairs !

That, ladies and gentlemen, is all you need to know about this airline.

hehehe Nov 18, 2022 1:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thenoflyzone (Post 9793499)
I love it....:haha:

Of all the reasons they could have come up with, they settle on airstairs !

That, ladies and gentlemen, is all you need to know about this airline.

""The airport and industry partners have been scouring Canada to source this equipment, but it is in very short supply," said Flair Airline’s chief commercial officer, Garth Lund."

It really can't be that hard to find airstars or a ramp I'd think? Like do people actually buy this excuse and take it seriously?

Base Nov 18, 2022 3:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hehehe (Post 9793581)
""The airport and industry partners have been scouring Canada to source this equipment, but it is in very short supply," said Flair Airline’s chief commercial officer, Garth Lund."

It really can't be that hard to find airstars or a ramp I'd think? Like do people actually buy this excuse and take it seriously?

Haha I love Flair but whoever came up with this excuse deserves extra credit for creativity.

Lethbridge is growing quickly and should be knocking on the door for more air service here in short order. Better get their act together.

nname Nov 18, 2022 4:27 AM

Isn't it normally the airport who's the one to provide equipment such as the ramp and air stairs? The airlines pay a fee to use them after all.

The city of Lethbridge issued a PR this morning. From the PR it sounds like the city is the one who cancelled it?
https://www.lethbridge.ca/NewsCentre...ht-change.aspx

But depend on what type of equipment, some of of them are indeed hard to find right now. I'm still waiting for parts for my office equipment right now, which had been delayed for more than 3 months due to.. guess what... "supply chain issue".

If it's just an air stair, maybe YQU have one they can borrow since Flair pulled out last year? :D

nname Nov 18, 2022 4:42 AM

So seems like Swoop is looking at LGB...

https://lbbusinessjournal.com/aerosp...ch-airport-lgb

Quote:

Breeze, a Utah-based startup founded by JetBlue co-founder David Neeleman, and Canadian airline Swoop are the two most recent additions to the waitlist. New entrants have the right of first refusal for flight slots.

Breeze remains on the waitlist but declined the newly available slot. Swoop has been offered permanent flight slots on two separate occasions and declined both times.
So what is Swoop planning at LGB? The most logical route for LGB are either from YVR or YYC, but WO does not serve either of these airport. If WS is seriously planning for LGB from those two airport, they would've applied as WS rather than WO? Unless they are looking at YXX-LGB, YEG-LGB, or YYZ-LGB, or they're just there to grab the slot first if Flair also applies for slot. :D

casper Nov 18, 2022 6:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nname (Post 9793710)
Isn't it normally the airport who's the one to provide equipment such as the ramp and air stairs? The airlines pay a fee to use them after all.

The city of Lethbridge issued a PR this morning. From the PR it sounds like the city is the one who cancelled it?
https://www.lethbridge.ca/NewsCentre...ht-change.aspx

But depend on what type of equipment, some of of them are indeed hard to find right now. I'm still waiting for parts for my office equipment right now, which had been delayed for more than 3 months due to.. guess what... "supply chain issue".

If it's just an air stair, maybe YQU have one they can borrow since Flair pulled out last year? :D

I think it usually the airline that own and operate that type of equipment when they are doing ground handling. In stations where they contract out then it is the contractor.

Likely with a small airport like this, the airport is providing the ground handling services.

nname Nov 18, 2022 6:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by casper (Post 9793754)
I think it usually the airline that own and operate that type of equipment when they are doing ground handling. In stations where they contract out then it is the contractor.

Likely with a small airport like this, the airport is providing the ground handling services.

Well even for large airport... If you use a remote stand at YVR, the airport will provide with the stairs or ramps, as well as the bus from the terminal to the plane. YVR used to show photo of those equipment on their twitter account back in 2019 when they are commonly used.

For the few times I had to board/disembark plane from stairs, I believe the airport owns those equipment they got their logos on them.

casper Nov 18, 2022 3:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nname (Post 9793773)
Well even for large airport... If you use a remote stand at YVR, the airport will provide with the stairs or ramps, as well as the bus from the terminal to the plane. YVR used to show photo of those equipment on their twitter account back in 2019 when they are commonly used.

For the few times I had to board/disembark plane from stairs, I believe the airport owns those equipment they got their logos on them.

The buses are usually operated by the airport.

The air stairs I don't know. It may be different from airport to airport. I remember seeing airline or ground service logos on those things.

Here is a photo of the PM in Ottawa with the stairs having a SwissPort logo.

https://cloudfront-us-east-1.images....2ROKBKPLFA.JPG
Source: Canadian Press

hehehe Nov 18, 2022 5:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nname (Post 9793724)
So seems like Swoop is looking at LGB...

https://lbbusinessjournal.com/aerosp...ch-airport-lgb



So what is Swoop planning at LGB? The most logical route for LGB are either from YVR or YYC, but WO does not serve either of these airport. If WS is seriously planning for LGB from those two airport, they would've applied as WS rather than WO? Unless they are looking at YXX-LGB, YEG-LGB, or YYZ-LGB, or they're just there to grab the slot first if Flair also applies for slot. :D

It would have to be YEG-LGB or YXX-LGB. I guess the slot timings didn't work out for either Breeze or Swoop.

thenoflyzone Nov 18, 2022 8:31 PM

Buses, PTVs and airstairs at remote stands at YUL are all owned by the airport.

YYCguys Nov 18, 2022 11:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by casper (Post 9793754)
I think it usually the airline that own and operate that type of equipment when they are doing ground handling. In stations where they contract out then it is the contractor.

Likely with a small airport like this, the airport is providing the ground handling services.

This is true. Either the airline or the ground handling company owns the ground equipment.

casper Nov 19, 2022 12:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thenoflyzone (Post 9794355)
Buses, PTVs and airstairs at remote stands at YUL are all owned by the airport.

They are extremely slow at using it. About two months ago I was on the WestJet flight from Calgary to Montreal.

There were a medical emergency on the flight and they decided to send the flight to a remote stand. They got the stairs in place fairly quickly (which is good given the paramedics need to get on to deal with the person in the back). But it required a good half hour before a bus showed up to take us to the terminal building.


All times are GMT. The time now is 9:03 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.