SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Completed Project Threads Archive (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=348)
-   -   NEW YORK | 111 W 57th St | 1,428 FT | 85 FLOORS (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=198228)

NYguy Oct 1, 2013 5:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mistermetAJ (Post 6285806)
This was posted over at the WNY forum by Derek2k3 by way of SHoP Architects: http://www.shoparc.com/

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5527/1...87b037bc_b.jpg

Good, more detail, and it confirms what I was thinking about the windows.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eidolon (Post 6285947)
Best looking building in the world since the early 1930s and a true masterpiece of architecture far as I'm concerned.

I remember when Michael Stern said it would be iconic, classic New York, and we are not being disappointed here.

NYC2ATX Oct 1, 2013 5:38 PM

Brilliant. Just brilliant. I find that SHoP is proving themselves to be the McKim, Mead & White of 21st-Century New York. Both in the sense that the amount of work they're turning out is reaching prolific levels, and in the fact that their style is unique and uniquely New York. The more the merrier.

Blaze23 Oct 1, 2013 5:55 PM

Stunning indeed! There was a time when Tower Verre was the next greatest skyscraper in NYC by a long shot, but with this one and 56 Leonard, it has some company. TV is still my favorite but the marging is a bit thinner. Kudos to SHOP tho, that's quite a design!

NYguy Oct 1, 2013 5:56 PM

The meeting at LPC was today for the decision about the modifications to Steinway Hall...

http://www.pbase.com/nyguy/image/152659883/original.jpg

hunser Oct 1, 2013 6:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ILNY (Post 6285813)
I wonder what will be the height of the highest occupied floor?

According to DOB permits about 1,200 feet. The fins will then bring the tower to over 1,300 feet.

And I have to agree with the others, what a brillant design / facade.

Onn Oct 1, 2013 7:02 PM

It looks great, it really does. The new images really give the structure a sense of realism. No clue the facade was going to look like that!

JayPro Oct 1, 2013 7:24 PM

Now we need a closeup of the facade at the CP-facing side.

Thefigman Oct 1, 2013 7:51 PM

That facade is impressive!

NYguy Oct 1, 2013 8:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Onn (Post 6286164)
It looks great, it really does. The new images really give the structure a sense of realism. No clue the facade was going to look like that!

Well, we did get this bit of info when the design was first revealed:

Quote:

"It's really going to enhance the skyline," says Vishaan Chakrabarti, a partner at SHoP Architects, which designed the tower.
He says the planned tower would be clad with bronze-and-white terra-cotta stripes, so the building "sparkles during the day
and has a soft glow at night."

Still, renderings always give a better clarity.

hunser Oct 1, 2013 8:46 PM

http://ny.curbed.com/archives/2013/1...reet_tower.php

Landmarks Won't Oppose SHoP's West 57th Street Tower

Tuesday, October 1, 2013, by Jeremiah Budin

Quote:

JDS Development Group acquired the Steinway Building, and, more importantly, its 45,000 square feet of air rights, for $46 million back in March. Six months later, they announced that instead of building a super tall, super skinny tower designed by Cetra/Ruddy, they would be building a super-duper-tall, super skinny tower designed by frequent collaborators SHoP Architects. The tower will be 1,350 feet tall, way taller than neighboring Tower of Babel One57 (1,004 feet), but not quite as tall as 432 Park (1,396 feet). JDS also backed a successful effort to make Steinway Hall an interior landmark (and will embark on a meticulous restoration), possibly in an attempt to curry favor with the Landmarks Preservation Commission, to whom they presented the plans for the tower this morning.
Quote:

JDS could actual build an as-of-right 1,350-foot tower at the street front without Landmarks Commission approval, but have elected instead to set the building back, deferring somewhat to the landmarked Steinway Building but also necessitating the demolition of a back portion of that building. The proposed tower would also exist partially on the landmark site, giving the LPC the power to review the whole thing.

For the most part, the Commission took no issue with the proposal, although a few had qualms about minor aspects—the height of the glass street wall, for example, or the question of how much of the tower was on the landmark site and how much wasn't—that prevented the building from being approved...yet. However, every commissioner but one expressed the opinion that the building itself was basically worth approval on the merit of its impressive design.

The lone dissenter, commissioner Margery Perlmutter, was confused by the willingness of her fellow commissioners to sign off so readily on the partial demolition of an individual landmark, and criticized the "cynicism" of some of her colleagues, saying, "We're looking at this 'for the good of the city' as if there's no other place to build a tower." Despite Perlmutter's objections, it seems more than likely that the plans, with a few minor tweaks, will be approved next time they are presented to the Landmarks Commission.
Yeah!! :tup::yes:

drumz0rz Oct 1, 2013 8:55 PM

It's going to look weird seeing this reach 1,350ft but only in a thin flat spire form, while 432 Park is occupied building all the way to the top.

meh_cd Oct 1, 2013 9:06 PM

Wow, I love it.

NYguy Oct 1, 2013 10:47 PM

Quote:

However, every commissioner but one expressed the opinion that the building itself was basically worth approval on the merit of its impressive design.

The lone dissenter, commissioner Margery Perlmutter, was confused by the willingness of her fellow commissioners to sign off so readily on the partial demolition of an individual landmark, and criticized the "cynicism" of some of her colleagues, saying, "We're looking at this 'for the good of the city' as if there's no other place to build a tower."

Stupid woman, as if she's going to exchange land with JDS to build the tower. Glad to see enough people had their senses about them.

But I hope they don't change the height of the glass frontange on 57th. It's impressive, and the scale gives a hint of the impressive tower that rises behing it.

http://jdsdevelopmentgroup.com/wp-co...5-983x1024.jpg

Duck From NY Oct 2, 2013 1:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blaze23 (Post 6285535)
I really look forward to spending more time on the Great Lawn.

-
Yeah because if you're at Sheep Meadow you'll have to crank your neck back quite a bit for this one.

599GTO Oct 2, 2013 3:20 AM

Beautiful. I even love this more than Tower Verre

NYguy Oct 2, 2013 12:30 PM

This one won the "day of the supertall" yesterday in New York.

mistermetAJ Oct 2, 2013 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NYguy (Post 6287180)
This one won the "day of the supertall" yesterday in New York.

We would have been better of if Adrian Smith never showed up to compete.

Submariner Oct 2, 2013 1:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mistermetAJ (Post 6287184)
We would have been better of if Adrian Smith never showed up to compete.

It could be worse. Gene Kauffman could be behind this tower.

DrNest Oct 2, 2013 1:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 599GTO (Post 6286901)
Beautiful. I even love this more than Tower Verre

Me too. There's something about Tower Verre that just doesn't appeal to me, albeit hard to put exactly into words. However, these latest renderings are stunning, and make me very excited to see this constructed.

I, too, would like to see the slope at the top face towards Central Park, but really that is a minor issue with the design. Overall I love it.

ILNY Oct 2, 2013 1:24 PM

Very nice and classy design, in contrary to Nordstrom tower.